UnevenEdge

What's going on in your lives?

K_N

5 hours ago, K_N said:

I haven't been around in a while, regale me with tails of your individual adventures.

LB’s grandma passed away...he bought a new car....I got a promotion...I went to Georgia to meet midnight and discolemonade....I got a few new tattoos....and I wanna be an ass ghost

Edited by Still Me

Read Han Kang's The White Book,

Reading Brandon Taylor's Real Life,

Looking forward to The Third Hotel by Laura van den Berg and Claude McKay's long-lost novel, Romance in Marseilles

Waiting for a friend to translate part of my manuscript into Spanish so I can start submitting it to small presses again. It's come close to nabbing publication by a margin, so I've been busy mending details and tightening language to up it's chances of being released into the world.

Got some flash fiction forthcoming in publication with a lit journal I consider to be one of my favorites, so getting the acceptance notification was like a dream.

Outside of that, mostly working my two jobs.

What's new with you?

• Like 1

Hmmm.....

Depression.
Had some better luck. Started feeling better about self.
Life kicked me in the balls.
Grandmother passed away.
Spiralled pretty hard.
Bought a car.
Worked for Amazon. Got mistreated like fuck.
Left Amazon.
Been looking for a job.
Finding out no one wants someone with my experience. Especially to pay me.
Depression.
Had some better luck. Starting to feel better about self.
Interview with old company Sunday.

Edited by lupin_bebop
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, lupin_bebop said:

Hmmm.....

Depression.
Had some better luck. Started feeling better about self.
Life kicked me in the balls.
Grandmother passed away.
Spiralled pretty hard.
Bought a car.
Worked for Amazon. Got mistreated like fuck.
Left Amazon.
Been looking for a job.
Finding out no one wants someone with my experience. Especially to pay me.
Depression.
Had some better luck. Starting to feel better about self.
Interview with old company Sunday.

shit man, sorry to hear that.

my grandma's about 73 or 74, she's in good health and I've seen some of her family live into the 90's, so I'm hoping she has a lot longer left, but realistically it could happen any year now.

as for working at Amazon, I don't know why people would willingly work for them.

Posted a thread a couple weeks back about buying a house.

Managed to score a really nice two bedroom, 1020 sqft house with a finished basement in the good part of town for 4 grand lower than the asking price, that including furniture and appliances. Next Friday is the closing date and when I can start moving in. I took the first step towards acquiring good quality internet for the first time in my life, calling up Spectrum and setting up an installation. The phone call was quite amusing cause the guy kept trying to sell me on going with the 400mbps internet (which is $20 more) me not wanting to do that even though it's tempting, mainly because with real world conditions I don't see me getting even 3/4ths of that on average. I just wanted internet (which would be $40 a month) but he then went on about their triple bundle for phone and cable, I told him again that I wasn't interested then he mentioned "the thing about the triple bundle is that the 400 gets included at no additional cost, and since we're non-contract after the first month you can just drop the cable and phone, and you'll still keep the 400 internet" like damn, cable companies really want you to get their cable service even if you don't keep it. So effectively until March 21st I'll have cable, after which I'm getting rid of that shit.

2 minutes ago, I am the Senate said:

shit man, sorry to hear that.

my grandma's about 73 or 74, she's in good health and I've seen some of her family live into the 90's, so I'm hoping she has a lot longer left, but realistically it could happen any year now.

as for working at Amazon, I don't know why people would willingly work for them.

Mine was past 80. Years before 2019, she was going out playing golf and travelling on cruises constantly. No problems, then, a few months in, found out she had cancer, chemo fucked everything.
Went pretty quick. Fucked me up pretty bad. She and I were really close. Only family member who gave a single fuck about me.

As for Amazon: They pay pretty well. Especially in the factory, which is where I worked. Their turnover is literally something like 30 days. There's a reason for it. You want to be treated like human cattle? Work for Amazon's factories. They didn't even bother when I made an HR complaint about being mistreated. They paid $15/hour just to complain about productivity.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, I am the Senate said:

Posted a thread a couple weeks back about buying a house.

Managed to score a really nice two bedroom, 1020 sqft house with a finished basement in the good part of town for 4 grand lower than the asking price, that including furniture and appliances. Next Friday is the closing date and when I can start moving in. I took the first step towards acquiring good quality internet for the first time in my life, calling up Spectrum and setting up an installation. The phone call was quite amusing cause the guy kept trying to sell me on going with the 400mbps internet (which is $20 more) me not wanting to do that even though it's tempting, mainly because with real world conditions I don't see me getting even 3/4ths of that on average. I just wanted internet (which would be $40 a month) but he then went on about their triple bundle for phone and cable, I told him again that I wasn't interested then he mentioned "the thing about the triple bundle is that the 400 gets included at no additional cost, and since we're non-contract after the first month you can just drop the cable and phone, and you'll still keep the 400 internet" like damn, cable companies really want you to get their cable service even if you don't keep it. So effectively until March 21st I'll have cable, after which I'm getting rid of that shit.

If you use your OWN equipment (your own router/modem), you CAN get that speed. I know you can, I have done it. You can also do it cheap, for like less than $75.
Especially with Spectrum. They will let you use your own equipment, all you have to do is ask. Trust me, do it. It allows you to set your Internet up the way YOU want it, and cheaper.

1 minute ago, lupin_bebop said:

Mine was past 80. Years before 2019, she was going out playing golf and travelling on cruises constantly. No problems, then, a few months in, found out she had cancer, chemo fucked everything.
Went pretty quick. Fucked me up pretty bad. She and I were really close. Only family member who gave a single fuck about me.

As for Amazon: They pay pretty well. Especially in the factory, which is where I worked. Their turnover is literally something like 30 days. There's a reason for it. You want to be treated like human cattle? Work for Amazon's factories. They didn't even bother when I made an HR complaint about being mistreated. They paid $15/hour just to complain about productivity.

my gramps died back in 2010, I have a real dad and step-dad and neither one of them were worth a damn, my gramps was the greatest man that I'll ever know. He died around a week after father's day back in 2010. For well over a year he was having constant medical issues, and collapsing from time to time, there being random moments where he'd be unable to breathe. there was one point that he was in the hospital in a medical induced coma after having some form of heart failure, but he managed to make it through that. It became a thing where I got used to him always making it through whatever happened, so when I saw him the last time on that father's day I didn't think much of what was going on, I wasn't a jerk or anything but I was more interested in going home and doing other shit, if I knew that'd be the last day I'd see him and talk to him I'd liked to have done more. I do think he went at the best time though, my grandma found out he had cancer that week, and she was told that he needed surgery for something, and after that was over she had to decide if she wanted him to do chemo, or go on hospice. So either have him suffer through chemo for who knows how many months in hopes of gaining a bit more time, or just sit around for several weeks or so, waiting to die. what ended up happening though was my gramps went during the surgery he had to have before the choice had to be made, saving my grandma from making that choice, as well as not having to suffer for his remaining time.

5 minutes ago, lupin_bebop said:

If you use your OWN equipment (your own router/modem), you CAN get that speed. I know you can, I have done it. You can also do it cheap, for like less than $75.
Especially with Spectrum. They will let you use your own equipment, all you have to do is ask. Trust me, do it. It allows you to set your Internet up the way YOU want it, and cheaper.

I bought my own router instead of paying the $5 extra a month for one, I'll see how their modem holds up since it's included for free, but depending on how it goes I'll likely look into buying a different one.

1 hour ago, I am the Senate said:

I bought my own router instead of paying the $5 extra a month for one, I'll see how their modem holds up since it's included for free, but depending on how it goes I'll likely look into buying a different one.

Their modem is not free. You're still paying the rental fee on your bill. Just buy your own.

2 hours ago, Neko said:

I had brain surgery where they placed a shunt.  I've stayed laid down for 3 days now.  My head feels better when I lay down but hurts when I stand up.

20200228_103857.jpg

That's brutal! Please feel better soon

• Like 1

Went furniture shopping today for when I do move. Am pretty annoyed though honestly, cause earlier this past week my realtor told me that the closing date was next Friday at 3:30, but on the way to the furniture store my mom was texting her, asking questions, her telling my mom that closing date will be the 12th and had no clue where I was getting the 6th from, I went on my phone and screenshot the text that she sent to me, her telling me that was an accident, and it will be the 12th, which means I'm waiting 2 weeks instead of 1 to get this done. I also need to reschedule my personal day at work, again, and since the 12th is a Thursday it's going to be fucking annoying taking that day off then coming back for Friday just to get the weekend off. I still technically have 2 personal days left even though I should only have 1 left (I took one over christmas break cause there were 4 days we were required to work where we'd quite literally just be sitting around doing nothing, I took 1 of them off but the offices were closed and I think my boss forgot to pass that info along so the day was never deducted), I was planning on playing things safe and only use 1 more personal day, cause I want to avoid the possibility of my boss remembering if I were to take 2 off, but I'm gonna put in for the 2 days, I do think it's very unlikely that he'd remember since he's a very busy guy, overseeing 60+ workers spread around 8 buildings, him being called over 10 minutes over something else.

As far as furniture goes, my grandma spent around $1050 on new furniture for me, I really didn't want her to spend that much on me, but she really wanted to.

• Like 1