UnevenEdge

Putin: "Stick to the timeline!"

tsar4

1 minute ago, scoobdog said:

As opposed to wars that are not taught for generations to come?

How many of us know about the Spanish-American War in detail  This is the first   First   war that TikTok is a weapon And Twitter is a offensive battlefield  propaganda war alone is something that needs to be taught in military academy for generations to come  

Edited by ghostrek
  • Haha 2

54 minutes ago, tsar4 said:

He wants to draw in the rest of Europe and the US, if he has to torch the world to do so.

No, he's pounding them into oblivion for resisting and for coordinating with the west against him, and he's doing it because he knows they're on the cusp of, but don't have actual NATO protection.

It's a punishment to them and a warning to others. A warning that's obviously backfiring with regards to other Russia-adjacent countries.

• Like 4

Just now, Raptorpat said:

No, he's pounding them into oblivion for resisting and for coordinating with the west against him, and he's doing it because he knows they're on the cusp of, but don't have actual NATO protection.

It's a punishment to them and a warning to others. A warning that's obviously backfiring with regards to other Russia-adjacent countries.

Putin's power is starting to crumble   Have you seen the protests in Russia They had to go to martial law to stop them

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ghostrek said:

Putin's power is starting to crumble   Have you seen the protests in Russia They had to go to martial law to stop them

I think the mistake is thinking he had a lot of power at the start.  He would not have engaged in such a reckless and poorly managed invasion (and essentially planted himself in the command center demanding updates)  if he had the kind of power he projects.  The downside is that he doesn't have as much power to lose.  His military is exposed, and he isn't going to get another shot at an invasion even if he survives this one, which is why the invasion is so relentless, merciless, and, frankly, inhumane.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jman said:

He is aware the fallout will likely blanket a good deal of Russia, right?  That’s insanity.

When the end goal of the voices in your head is that you will be the last and greatest leader ever, blowing everyone and everything away makes perfect sense.

Especially to someone who has been declared 'president for life' and who had been thinking of changing the title officially from president to Supreme Ruler. 

Like some sort of balding Dalek, exterminate everything.

Looks like the Russian attack was repelled, but holy shit.  

Everything I understand of Putin and the oligarchs is they run like a crime family, and well, we know what happens when someone threatens the money.

• Sad 2

Ukraine says Russia  got control of their nuclear plant. dk  what that immediately means for Ukraine people but maybe the Russians will put the fire out that they probably caused?  

also reading Zelensky has survived a couple of attempts on his life.  I hope I’m wrong but I think he’s on borrowed time cuz Putin usually don’t stop when he wants someone dead. 

11 hours ago, ghostrek said:

How many of us know about the Spanish-American War in detail  This is the first   First   war that TikTok is a weapon And Twitter is a offensive battlefield  propaganda war alone is something that needs to be taught in military academy for generations to come  

this

and this

and this

with a dash of this

i would say there are quite a few of 'us' that know about the spanish~american war. 

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Master-Debater131 said:

Majority of Swedes want to join NATO now.

Putins threat to Sweden and Finland are pushing both nations closer to joining NATO than ever before.

The Scandinavian countries have their own alliance and should be off limits to Putin / are de facto under NATO protection since 3 out of the 5 countries in the alliance are NATO members. So if finland was attacked, those NATO states would have to go to war, and the rest of NATO would then have the right / obligation to go to go to war and defend them.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nordic_Defence_Cooperation

If Putin does anything over there I think it would just be to troll us (no pun intended, scandinavia) it would be too risky for him to actually try and fight any of them even Finland.

On the other hand, if he really has lost his marbles, Scandinavia would be the perfect spot to draw in the rest of NATO. Putin could claim Finland's alliance is illegal bc of past treaties with Russia that Putin could say still matter. Then he could invade there and make us squirm over whether we should help or not. But I still think it's too risky, and wouldn't really help him reach his objectives. So that's like a doomsday scenario.

https://www.bloomberg.com/opinion/articles/2022-03-04/ukraine-nuclear-power-plant-attack-what-is-putin-thinking

Good article. A bit chilling... 

I like how the author thinks

Game theory doesn’t always have to be about explicit plans and intentions. It also can help explain why “invisible hand” mechanisms lead people to a particular point in the strategy tree, as if they had those strategies as conscious intentions.

Which is a much more eloquent explanation of what I have been trying to get at w/everything about the eurasian alliance. It's more like inevitable forces pulling them together rather than china, russia, iran, north korea having a secret illuminati type plan for the next 50 years all written up.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Jman said:

Everything I understand of Putin and the oligarchs is they run like a crime family, and well, we know what happens when someone threatens the money.

As long as we buy 600k barrels of oil from Russia a day at $115+/barrel there is no threat to the money.

Of course, we can always go back to being energy independent and a net exporter, and then you have a threat to the money and the attendant "incidentals"....

In the meantime, any act of petty piracy by Germany will result in much keks at the unfortunate oligarch but little else.

• D'oh 1

31 minutes ago, Ginguy said:

As long as we buy 600k barrels of oil from Russia a day at $115+/barrel there is no threat to the money.

Of course, we can always go back to being energy independent and a net exporter, and then you have a threat to the money and the attendant "incidentals"....

In the meantime, any act of petty piracy by Germany will result in much keks at the unfortunate oligarch but little else.

We were never energy independent.

• Thanks 3

8 hours ago, 1pooh4u said:

Ukraine says Russia  got control of their nuclear plant. dk  what that immediately means for Ukraine people but maybe the Russians will put the fire out that they probably caused?  

also reading Zelensky has survived a couple of attempts on his life.  I hope I’m wrong but I think he’s on borrowed time cuz Putin usually don’t stop when he wants someone dead. 

In all honesty, I believe that Zelensky has already come to terms with it and has vowed to make them work for every last drop of blood of his they spill in the end. Otherwise, he could have run at the start and worked publicly against this invasion from a safer distance. Instead, he dropped the suit and tie politician look, put on cold weather clothing better suited to movement and hunting, and stayed with his people. 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Ginguy said:

Here's a primer for you, sport.  Yes, I know it's CNN, but it's just a collection of the relevant data.

The key takeaway from this is that the United States is in a position where it can legislate not purchasing Russian oil on its own with no appreciable affect, but it risks crashing the entire market if it start sanctioning that oil.  The key difference is that once sanctions are in place, other countries will have to avoid purchasing Russian oil so as to not somehow run afoul of those sanctions (either by the US or by any of its allies that follows suit) and there isn't enough oil in the global markets to offset the loss of Russia.  As the article points out, we are still the world leader in oil production and the two biggest sources we import from are our North American neighbors - we are already "energy independent" in the sense that our source of oil isn't dependent on major overseas suppliers.  Conversely, sanctions would also most likely disproportionately affect our European friends because, while the cost would skyrocket for us, we wouldn't be dealing with a supply crunch. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, scoobdog said:

Here's a primer for you, sport.  Yes, I know it's CNN, but it's just a collection of the relevant data.

The key takeaway from this is that the United States is in a position where it can legislate not purchasing Russian oil on its own with no appreciable affect, but it risks crashing the entire market if it start sanctioning that oil.  The key difference is that once sanctions are in place, other countries will have to avoid purchasing Russian oil so as to not somehow run afoul of those sanctions (either by the US or by any of its allies that follows suit) and there isn't enough oil in the global markets to offset the loss of Russia.  As the article points out, we are still the world leader in oil production and the two biggest sources we import from are our North American neighbors - we are already "energy independent" in the sense that our source of oil isn't dependent on major overseas suppliers.  Conversely, sanctions would also most likely disproportionately affect our European friends because, while the cost would skyrocket for us, we wouldn't be dealing with a supply crunch. 

So first off, ENHANCE

Put another way, Russia represented less than 2% of all US oil imports in December, according to the US Energy Information Administration.

The part that is interesting to me is that any full-scale global effort to sanction Russian oil exporting as a whole would affect other countries supply, which would lead to their prices rising higher because of higher demand than supply, as they depend on Russian oil more that the United States does.

Edited by Seight
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, Raptorpat said:

Russia has already threatened that any non-Ukrainians that have come to fight won't be treated as POWs

Considering he's willing to bomb everything indiscriminately and there's been unconfirmed rumors of soldiers abusing women and children in the areas that they have overrun, there are no plans for 'POWs' . -.-; 

• Like 3

20 hours ago, scoobdog said:

18 hours ago, Seight said:

So first off, ENHANCE

Put another way, Russia represented less than 2% of all US oil imports in December, according to the US Energy Information Administration.

The part that is interesting to me is that any full-scale global effort to sanction Russian oil exporting as a whole would affect other countries supply, which would lead to their prices rising higher because of higher demand than supply, as they depend on Russian oil more that the United States does.

So, maybe next time read what was actually posted instead of what you imagined was posted.

Go back to being energy independent = we don't need to import any oil to meet our needs.

I didn't say sanction Russian oil. I said we shouldn't buy Russian oil at the tune of 77 million dollars/day and should instead just use our own oil, or electric cars, or hybrids, or public transportation.

Putin's playbook?

Claim Russian speaking minority is being mistreated in a non-NATO country.

Set up "War Games" along the border of that country and claim no intent of invasion.

Invade the country under the guise of removing neo-Nazis.

Claim civilians have nothing to fear.

Shell civilian areas.

Numerous Russians leave Russia for Finland, fearing Martial Law.

Claim Russian speaking minority in Finland...

3 minutes ago, katt_goddess said:

I was more worried about appearances Zelenskyy's made where something as innocuous as a floor tile pattern could tell someone in Russia where he is.

4 minutes ago, katt_goddess said:

Its ok, its not like there are a shitload of assassins trying to take him out or anything. Because that would make this move just supppeerrrrr dumb.

6 minutes ago, tsar4 said:

I was more worried about appearances Zelenskyy's made where something as innocuous as a floor tile pattern could tell someone in Russia where he is.

Many of those places seemed to be 'temporary' and the patterns reminded me of the patterns of kitchen floors in every home I ever visited between the ages of 3-7 and every mass transportation hub since 2014. In other words, common tiles. Plus, how many of those appearances were live-live [ not asking to be sarcastic, seriously asking ] and how many were recorded and released after he had left the room / area to ensure as much a level of safety as possible under the circumstances. This was live during a Zoom call where no one was moving from the area they were in for the duration of the call. 

9 minutes ago, Master-Debater131 said:

Its ok, its not like there are a shitload of assassins trying to take him out or anything. Because that would make this move just supppeerrrrr dumb.

This is a standing example of why I don't have twitter because I'd be banned in seconds for verbally tearing someone's dick off. It's like, what are you, some 16 year-old girl pretending to be super important by posting important people pics online for likes? Who are you impressing with this stupidity? You have one job during a Zoom meeting and instead you are taking a digital selfie when you were deliberately told not to. 

They can both be cut from the 'phone tree' for all future such calls for the duration of this thing and sit in the corner with Heckle and Jeckle until all their periods sync up. :| 

• Like 5