UnevenEdge

Favorite struggle meal you grew up on.

BlackNoir

Spare a ramen noodle....

Good, now that I hate myself, what is your favorite poor man's meal....I understand if some of your were never poor or never went to college or whatever....$5 to feed 2 people is the random ass borders I'll create for this experiment.  

Mine is Spammy Mac....I think it's obvious it's spam and macaroni n cheese...Shit is soooooo good.....$2 for the can of spam, $1 for some noodles and $1 for cheese (I used to get  a pack of Kraft singles)......Nowadays, I'll use sharp cheddar and Muenster but that takes it well over $4.

I think my runner up would be baked beans and hotdogs and lite bread (white bread...I have no idea why people call it that, but that's growing up in the South for ya.)

Every once in a while I eat a struggle meal because I'll be honest, trash is kinda good

Canned corned beef and rice....NO, NOT CORNED BEEF HASH....It's so weird that I've asked 2 people to bring me a can of corned beef before and they both brought home corned beef hash

Edited by BlackNoir

tuna patties and tater tots

3 cans of tuna or 1 big can = $3 at most. Sometimes as low as $1.50

negligible amount of breadcrumbs and oil

tater tots = $1.50 - $2.00

To feed 5 ppl

Since we're still poor white trash this is a meal I still have regularly tho I won't blame u if u think I'm lying and we're actually rich bc there's fresh produce included in this particular meal

Tunapatty.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Poof said:

To feed 5 ppl

Since we're still poor white trash this is a meal I still have regularly tho I won't blame u if u think I'm lying and we're actually rich bc there's fresh produce included in this particular meal

Well, while I don't believe you're poor white trash, you don't have to be a baller to get fresh produce.

Edited by BlackNoir

Guess I'll exclude wild game and plants I'd gather from outside. 

Liked cut up hotdog in eggs, Spam, bologna and ketchup sandwich, pork n beans with cut up hotdogs, ramen,  Butter Noodles with salt and pepper,  biscuits with gravy, canned beans, Braunschweiger with onion and mustard sometimes as a sandwich. I remember a period of eating canned salmon for a while because it was super cheap that I would fry in a pan. I actually got nostalgic for it a while back and was going to buy some and it's like fucking $8 a can now. Reminds me of how canned chicken used to be so cheep that it may as well have been free. Then Buffalo Chicken Dip became popular and it went up to $5 a can.  Always sucks when your poverty foods become trendy. Though seems a lot of foods have just jacked up in price I remember 15 years ago when Roast Beef Lunch Meat was $2.99lb and now it's $10.99lb. 

Most Hated is Stale bread in hot milk. 

4 hours ago, Poof said:

To feed 5 ppl

Tunapatty.jpg

The tuna patties Im familiar with. You gotta throw one of those bags of season all in it and my mom would call them "salmon croquettes" 

Clearly not salmon but whatever XD

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, katt_goddess said:

I used to very lightly butter a slice of bread, sprinkle it with garlic powder and toast it in the toaster for garlic toast. 

That and two cups of tea using the same tea bag twice would often be a meal. 

>.> Ill still use a teabag twice if no one is watching 

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, Vamped said:

The tuna patties Im familiar with. You gotta throw one of those bags of season all in it and my mom would call them "salmon croquettes" 

Clearly not salmon but whatever XD

my parents don't know what seasonings are. they fit that stereotype 100%

Peanut butter and jelly sandwiches and grilled cheese sandwiches with a bag of hot fries. These are some of the things from my childhood when I was poor that I can still eat. I'll turn to crime before I ever eat bologna again. Luckily, nowadays I always keep a big bag of rice on hand, a jug of soy sauce, fresh cabbage, and frozen dumplings for when I'm broke and want a nice hot meal. 

Oh and hot pickles.

Edited by DragonSinger
  • Like 2

21 hours ago, Vamped said:

>.> Ill still use a teabag twice if no one is watching 

They were the cheap ones. That's all we'd get at home because paying extra for anything name brand was frivolous. It's why I also hate Rite-Aide flavored drink. Screw you, gimme Kool-Aide. Preferably grape. 

During my college years, they were the cheap crappy tea bags that I would slowly pillage from the college cafeteria over the course of the school year in order to have something to drink during breaks. In those years, it was one brick of cheap ramen a day and tea. Split the brick, extra water and two cups of tea [ one bag ] per meal for two meals daily. 

Currently I keep Republic of Tea and Harney & Sons teas stocked here - each little tea bag makes a full glass pot of tea without being all watered down and weird. And if I did try the old cheap garlic bread trick, it would now be done in a glorious Batman toaster. Classy af. :D

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, katt_goddess said:

They were the cheap ones. That's all we'd get at home because paying extra for anything name brand was frivolous. It's why I also hate Rite-Aide flavored drink. Screw you, gimme Kool-Aide. Preferably grape. 

During my college years, they were the cheap crappy tea bags that I would slowly pillage from the college cafeteria over the course of the school year in order to have something to drink during breaks. In those years, it was one brick of cheap ramen a day and tea. Split the brick, extra water and two cups of tea [ one bag ] per meal for two meals daily. 

Currently I keep Republic of Tea and Harney & Sons teas stocked here - each little tea bag makes a full glass pot of tea without being all watered down and weird. And if I did try the old cheap garlic bread trick, it would now be done in a glorious Batman toaster. Classy af. :D

Amazon.com: Fancy Winnie The Pooh Meme Enamel Pin | Fancy Winnie The Pooh  Meme Pin Brooch Joke pin Cute pins for Backpack Kawaii Accessories Pacific  pins: Jewelry

• Haha 3

3 hours ago, katt_goddess said:

Those knock-off packets were the one time my family was like, "We may be poor, but we can't drink this shit." So Kool-Aid was the only real name brand thing we had other than trips out of state when we picked up Faygo and Clearly Canadian drinks. 😭 I miss cheap Clearly Canadian sodas. Now those suckers are almost 3 bucks at friggin World Market.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Juice McKenzie said:

are chicken nuggies considered struggle meals?

Borderline, but yes.  

Also, any of those Banquet meals that cost $0.89-$1.29......Once you get to the Hungry Mans, it's no longer a struggle...Just gross for the sake of being gross.

• Like 2

Luckily, we never had to struggle for food. 

Lunches were usually just junk, like Spaghetti O's or a sandwich. Breakfast was either cooked or cereal. Dinner was always cooked every night.

But I do have a guilty pleasure of Hormel Chili without beans and Chef Boyardee macaroni and cheese. I'll eat them both out of the can, cold. At the same time.

So many to choose from!

Popular choices include:

-Nearly expired meat tossed onto a derelict Foreman grill, rolled into tortillas with a bit of BBQ sauce.

-Rice and cheese (may contain zero authentic rice or cheese)

-Peanut butter on a single slice of probably stale bread

-Pizza sandwich

-Mac and cheese with eggs/hot dog

-Sugar toast

-Vienna sausage and ramen

-Buttery noodles

-Frozen pot pies

-Canned chicken

-Literal trash from restaurant dumpsters

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, GunStarHero said:

So many to choose from!

Popular choices include:

-Nearly expired meat tossed onto a derelict Foreman grill, rolled into tortillas with a bit of BBQ sauce.

-Rice and cheese (may contain zero authentic rice or cheese)

-Peanut butter on a single slice of probably stale bread

-Pizza sandwich

-Mac and cheese with eggs/hot dog

-Sugar toast

-Vienna sausage and ramen

-Buttery noodles

-Frozen pot pies

-Canned chicken

-Literal trash from restaurant dumpsters

no blueberry muffins?

1 minute ago, tsar4 said:

Never went "Dumpster Diving", though a lot of people I knew in college did...until McD's started putting a padlock on the dumpster lids at night.

I never got to a dumpster diving level of struggle which I’m thankful for but working at a grocery store deli made me realize how much needless food waste there is. Literally throwing out whole slabs of ham or beef or cheese because they’re a day or two out of date, dumping packaged foods because they’re past the sell by date, it really pissed me off being a part of that system.

1 minute ago, -Ninja_Jesus- said:

I never got to a dumpster diving level of struggle which I’m thankful for but working at a grocery store deli made me realize how much needless food waste there is. Literally throwing out whole slabs of ham or beef or cheese because they’re a day or two out of date, dumping packaged foods because they’re past the sell by date, it really pissed me off being a part of that system.

College Dumpster Diving wasn't about being poor, necessarily.  For some, it meant having more money to hit the bars with.

1 hour ago, tsar4 said:

Never went "Dumpster Diving", though a lot of people I knew in college did...until McD's started putting a padlock on the dumpster lids at night.

I was homeless for awhile and even when I got off the streets afterwards I was still struggling for food. Opted to fish food out of restaurant dumpsters during that time. Tried to get the old, wrapped stuff when possible. Eventually I was caught and the manager of the main place I dumpster dived at asked me to stop in exchange for them just outright giving me the old sandwiches and a cup for water. 

• Like 3