UnevenEdge

What do you miss about Adult Swim Message Boards?

Danger_Jules

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/5/2017 at 2:18 AM, SnapItCrackItPopIt said:

Does anybody remember the Prospero days?

Barely. Not because we weren't there a lot, but because we were pretty heavily tanked most of the time.

~~~

Is it weird that I miss the FBI shenanigans? Seems like a pretty lame thing to miss, but here we are.

Edit: not THE FBI, the other one.

Edited by wacky1980

I joined in 2006 when I was 16-17 . I remember still not being able to type without chicken pecking the keys. Keeping up with the anime discussion threads helped me a lot with learning how to type without looking at the keyboard. 

Also remember playing the flash games. The Inuyasha and FMA grid fighting games. 

It was certainly a niche but active community. I will say that I have met some of my best long lasting friends on those message boards while also meeting the worst people I had the displeasure of knowing. A real mixed bag for sure! 🙂

• Like 1

The contrary post I compiled in the NHL (whatever season) thread all made by Zeni.  I had a long list of him changing who he said his favorite team was and a few other comments.  Pretty hilarious.

Oh and did you hear [as] cancelled Inuyasha???

• Like 1
  • D'oh 1

I didn't join until 2014, but I'm glad I got my foot in the door to this crazy community. I think the only thing I really miss was having actual ratings talk, and not only that but talk about ratings for other [as] shows as well. HackSignJohn [name unconfirmed] was a big ball of weird, but very knowledgeable about how [as] ticked, such as pointing out that if they aired a certain ads for things life insurance, it meant that slot wasn't rating well.

Oh, and having more of a captive audience for my first content ratings posts, which spilled over to the NodeBB forums. Trust me, I haven't forgotten about that.

[*cooks*]

• Thanks 1

I miss the sense of community we used to have i mean that left a long time before the boards died but we at one point we were pretty nice community online anyways in my opinion .    I also miss the status I had as a respected member of the boards but that definitely left a long time before it died also so

Edited by ghostrek
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, The_annoying_one said:

Did anyone ever do a quote tree of smiley indifferent walls?

That would’ve been epic.

Oh all the time. Literally an entire page of them of people just spamming the quote post option in ine message. It got out of control quickly.

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, Tetsusaiga775 said:

Oh all the time. Literally an entire page of them of people just spamming the quote post option in ine message. It got out of control quickly.

Why can’t I remember things like I used to? And yeah, a lot of things got out of control very quickly back then. It’s part of what made it so fun.

Edited by The_annoying_one
Misspelled a word

I miss the old Icon Theme Days we used to do back when all we had were the pre-loaded icons from AS shows. Everybody would agree on a theme in advance like cats or purple or useless characters and then every week you'd find an icon to go with it and post around. I mean it's great that we eventually got to just upload normal icons ourselves like every other site, but that was such a fun little thing and some of the themes required a lot of creativity to find a good match.

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, EmpressAngel said:

I miss the old Icon Theme Days we used to do back when all we had were the pre-loaded icons from AS shows. Everybody would agree on a theme in advance like cats or purple or useless characters and then every week you'd find an icon to go with it and post around. I mean it's great that we eventually got to just upload normal icons ourselves like every other site, but that was such a fun little thing and some of the themes required a lot of creativity to find a good match.

I remember when they started allowing us to submit our own icons, that was such a game changer. So many of us got so into it. I actually was backing up my Photobucket and I stumbled across the ol' icons I made in MS Paint.

I really enjoyed how Trunks's thread was the main hub in Action Discussion. It was the main place most of us would go back to outside of AIM to discuss the block.

I also missed how competitive things got for posting episode threads and how there could be only ONE per episode every week. Designing an episode thread was what gave me my first experience in HTML funny enough.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, matrixman124 said:

I remember when they started allowing us to submit our own icons, that was such a game changer. So many of us got so into it. I actually was backing up my Photobucket and I stumbled across the ol' icons I made in MS Paint.

I really enjoyed how Trunks's thread was the main hub in Action Discussion. It was the main place most of us would go back to outside of AIM to discuss the block.

I also missed how competitive things got for posting episode threads and how there could be only ONE per episode every week. Designing an episode thread was what gave me my first experience in HTML funny enough.

Omg yes!! I really enjoyed submitting icons for the [as] anime I really liked haha. I would get low-key annoyed if I saw someone else using the same icon as me because I was the one who put in the work to make it!!! >:[ lmaooo

• Like 1

8 hours ago, granzchesta said:

I do miss Other Anime tho

Me too.  I miss reading what people talked about in the What Anime are you Watching thread.

It seems like just about everyone from OA is gone.  I'm glad that a few of them are on MAL but it's not the same.

• Like 2

The comradery mainly. That, and a reason to look forward to the adult swim line up each week. The reason why I sorta took a hiatus here is because I just kept seeing the same people fighting over the same senseless bullshit that's gone on for 10 years. Fuck that. While not everyone got along, it sorta stayed within a certain line, and there was enough getting posted that people could avoid each other if need be.

I miss the look of everything, the feel of shitposting at 2 am, and the random game nights we would organize. But honestly, the magic was caption, and then it was let loose. Adult Swim had lightning in a bottle with a loyal community. Now, that community feels less tight knit. It's spread across social medias, instead of a central place. And, I don't know, I guess I'm ok with letting that live in a nostalgic place. But this just doesn't do it for me anymore. I'm still friends with a few people from here, but I just never even think to come here, really.

• Like 6

I think I just miss it being a dedicated online forum in a time when those sorts of things could be the main way you interacted with people on the internet.  It just felt more focused in a way that social media never does even when it tries to.

I also miss that one random time in like 2013, well after I stopped posting, when I came back for old times’ sake and found my login and all of my old posts were still there.  Sadly they’re all probably lost to the aether now.

• Like 3