UnevenEdge

What do you miss about Adult Swim Message Boards?

Danger_Jules

I miss when people loved to post. Nobody posts anymore, what's up with that? All everybody does now is private group chat, eat hot chip, and "Like." Don't "Like" my posts, post at me and tell me how you feel goddamnit

I blame YouTube. I still remember when it first started getting big in the mid-2000's and a lot of posts on the board went from text conveying original thoughts to just sharing YouTube links.

Like wow, a hyper link to a grainy video of the "Mighty Max" opening theme that my dial-up connection doesn't respect me enough to load before bedtime, thanks for degrading the forum by pasting that url instead of actually posting. 

And then, of course, came the """"memes""""...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NaBraniel said:

I miss when people loved to post. Nobody posts anymore, what's up with that? All everybody does now is private group chat, eat hot chip, and "Like." Don't "Like" my posts, post at me and tell me how you feel goddamnit

I blame YouTube. I still remember when it first started getting big in the mid-2000's and a lot of posts on the board went from text conveying original thoughts to just sharing YouTube links.

Like wow, a hyper link to a grainy video of the "Mighty Max" opening theme that my dial-up connection doesn't respect me enough to load before bedtime, thanks for degrading the forum by pasting that url instead of actually posting. 

And then, of course, came the """"memes""""...

My youtube links were mostly for my RockYourBlockOff alt where I only responded with music....   >___>;;;

3 hours ago, tsar4 said:

What was the deal with IB "invading" Pod 6 every so often?  Was Putin in IB's ranks?

I was originally a Pod 6er but then IB gave me more LOLz so I changed sides. :LithiumSmileyIndifferent:

4 minutes ago, granzchesta said:

Anyone else remember the ASMB Yearbook superlatives?

I never got voted for anything, but I remember the drama surrounding some of the nominations.

I saw there were links in the Wayback for those.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, granzchesta said:

Anyone else remember the ASMB Yearbook superlatives?

I never got voted for anything, but I remember the drama surrounding some of the nominations.

In late 2015 they didn't do one because things were pretty dead by then I guess, so I made a thread in IB titled "Orificial Tearbook Award Winners" where I just made up the categories and winners and somehow that still caused drama because some people thought it was real and came in hot like "Oh REALLY, Biggest Drama Queen?? This is what y'all think of me?!?! Funk all you wet garbage bags right into the sun!"

• Like 1

It's been 6 years since this thread was made (HOW), and looking back since my last post, what I really miss the most is the place itself, and still being able to access it. Among all the nonsense, I made some well-thought-out megaposts about different series and episodes (or at least I thought they were at the time). I know there was one gigantic one I made trying to explain what was going on in Big O. Unfortunately I never thought about throwing those in a Word document, so unless they happen to be in whatever the Wayback Machine crawled through, they're probably gone for good. It's a strange feeling, since there are a few still-running forums I'm on where I can go back and find my very first posts from around 2003...not that I actually want to read what cringelord teenage me was writing back then, but at least they're still out there.

I'd also love to reminisce about some of the events and memes and stuff that I only half-remember. People are making all of these references in here, and I know I lived through some of them, but I can tell I'm getting older because I only remember vague snippets about them. (Hell, some days everything pre-Covid feels like a deluded fever dream.) That's even true for more recent stuff...I was thinking the other day about how Luuv's first invitation was to that FreeForums (?) site, but I don't even remember what it looked like or exactly when we jumped over here. It'd be cool to put together some sort of community history timeline, so people could see exactly when certain things happened or check out screenshots of what the boards looked like during various eras.

One thing I don't miss was the silly folder cliques. Everyone was weird about staying in their own little silos on the ASMB, and there are a bunch of cool people I only met after I moved here, even though we'd probably posted on the same forum for a solid decade.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

20 hours ago, The_annoying_one said:

Did anyone ever do a quote tree of smiley indifferent walls?

That would’ve been epic.

Yes, some monster did that and I had dial-up at the time.

You know how long it takes for a site-crashing wall of smiley indifferents to load on dial-up? There's still a part of me somewhere in the folds of time waiting for it to finish. O.<

• Haha 3

Just now, katt_goddess said:

You know how long it takes for a site-crashing wall of smiley indifferents to load on dial-up? There's still a part of me somewhere in the folds of time waiting for it to finish. O.<

Sorry. The anarchist in me was just curious. 😂

• Haha 1

On 9/1/2017 at 8:39 AM, PokeNirvash said:

I also miss Foley's top 10 lists from the Trunks threads. I was so excited when I first placed on it, for my dumb Death Note-related comment on how the forbidden fruit of 2007-2008 was most likely schnapps.

Oh yeah I remember those.  I think I even made it on one once or twice.

Man there was so much that was great.

The old OA was a riot at times. IB was in its own world. Rants....oof.

The Top Posters list was fun to. It broke down who posted the most to each board. Those IB Leader boards turned into a contest of their own.

The people seemed better to. Wayyyyy less of the assholes that took over near the end.

I also miss how there were places where you could have actual serious discussions and other places where you could just goof off, and those were just kind of their own separate things.  I’m not even sure if there are any more places like that on the internet where you can share well thought out posts with a dedicated community of people.  

I guess Reddit sort of tries to be like that sometimes, but I just can’t bring myself to make those sorts of well thought out posts there because it feels more like shouting into a collective consciousness void that might engage with you, might ignore you, or might react to you but not in the way you’re hoping.  Point is I just never feel a connection to any of the other usernames on there.

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, CombatC said:

I also miss how there were places where you could have actual serious discussions and other places where you could just goof off, and those were just kind of their own separate things.  I’m not even sure if there are any more places like that on the internet where you can share well thought out posts with a dedicated community of people.  

I guess Reddit sort of tries to be like that sometimes, but I just can’t bring myself to make those sorts of well thought out posts there because it feels more like shouting into a collective consciousness void that might engage with you, might ignore you, or might react to you but not in the way you’re hoping.  Point is I just never feel a connection to any of the other usernames on there.

That's why I like it here over the mass social media stuff or reddit. Like the problem with reddit is I just don't feel any real sense of community anywhere. Everything is topical to that subreddit or social space, so if you want to talk about anything else, it's basically with a completely different group of people.

But here there's still that general overlap of community whether you're recapping Toonami, shitposting, or discussing the national debt ceiling. 

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Raptorpat said:

That's why I like it here over the mass social media stuff or reddit. Like the problem with reddit is I just don't feel any real sense of community anywhere. Everything is topical to that subreddit or social space, so if you want to talk about anything else, it's basically with a completely different group of people.

But here there's still that general overlap of community whether you're recapping Toonami, shitposting, or discussing the national debt ceiling. 

I've been in a Discord with a bunch of old people from the boards too, but I really should make more of an effort to frequent here as well.

2 hours ago, katt_goddess said:

God I do not miss dialup times!

We should do another smiley indifferent wall..

I just miss the dumb shit we used to do in IB. The games, the stupid inside jokes and all the hectic late night AIM Chats and TinyChat sessions. Probably the last time the internet and it's associated strangers was fun for me.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, atomicinumatt said:

God I do not miss dialup times!

144K baud is the most we'll ever get from phone lines.

A few months later, out comes 288K, but that is definitely it - no more.

ADSL suddenly appears.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1