UnevenEdge

2024 Presidential Elections: the schadenfreude commences

NewBluntsworth

5 minutes ago, Doom Metal Alchemist said:

How is Joe Biden a write-in instead of already on the ballet?

The best I understand it is the Democratic Party changed which states get to go first in their presidential primaries, and New Hampshire refused to change their date. So the party punished New Hampshire by making the primary not count towards delegates. 

Biden sided with the party and chose not to officially run in the New Hampshire primary. But supporters nonetheless wrote in Biden's name.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Icarus27k said:

But supporters nonetheless wrote in Biden's name.

To be fair his team ran an active write-in campaign, it's not like people all wrote his name completely independently.

I'm kind of of the mindset that dethroning Iowa was a rational choice with no real downside, but there wasn't a great reason to pick a fight with swingy NH as well. It was probably more because Biden came in like 5th there last time.

That's true, both because that constituency is under represented in the early races and because it's the constituency that saved his campaign.

I think a one-for-one with Iowa made sense and no one would've batted an eye other than impotent Iowa Dems, but I think taking NH out at the same time wasn't worth the risk and effort it originally presented.

But they won the write-in campaign and with Trump the near-inevitable nominee it might not matter.

• Thanks 1

It definitely was not worth the risk, given the outsized attention its received compared to the relatively few delegates it represents.  The democrats skated on this since it was essentially treated as a oddity during the news cycle, so it's just a matter of whether or not there will be a corresponding bump in participation when the upcoming "first" primary happens.

20 hours ago, SwimOdin said:

That’s a scary amount of RFK votes

If it makes you feel any better, he only got 3 votes more than a political call to action.  

I'm a bit sad that Kermit the Frog didn't make the cut. If you are going to waste a write-in, you should make it at least count for something. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, katt_goddess said:

If it makes you feel any better, he only got 3 votes more than a political call to action.  

I'm a bit sad that Kermit the Frog didn't make the cut. If you are going to waste a write-in, you should make it at least count for something. 

My all time favorite write-in vote was for "Lurr, Ruler of Planet Omicron Persei 8" in a local election here in Georgia one year. 

Edited by Icarus27k
  • Haha 5

4 hours ago, Master-Debater131 said:

Doing just fine

I don't think a quick cut of a micro-second of an off-the-cuff rolling comment from someone who suffered from stuttering as a child from someone who once couldn't get enough of huffing Glenn Beck's taint counts as a 'gotcha' for anyone other than a true blunt skull. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

5 hours ago, Master-Debater131 said:

If the GOP were to nominate literally anyone but Trump this race would be a total cakewalk for them. But nope, they would rather lose with Trump than win with anyone else.

Trump is the Republican Party.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I've read articles about how Trump suspects he is going to prison. That adds a different light to 2024. 

He's not even expecting to win the election in November and thus save himself. Instead he is burning down as much of the country as possible before he gets taken away. 

Edited by Icarus27k
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Icarus27k said:

Why would Republicans do the bidding of a loser who is going to be incarcerated a year from now (Trump)? Why would you be scared of him or degrade yourself for him? 

Just amazing undignified ignorance. 

Because they were stupid enough to back his lies in the first place and did so at the top of their lungs for so long that now they don't have a choice. It's either continue to be a complete asshole or eat crow and they sold their dentures for red trucker hats ages ago. 

• Like 3

Trump's Bucket List

Get Re-Elected

Get my minions to repeal the 22nd Amendment

Get my minions to overturn the results of the last election

Get rid of the Secretary of the Treasury

Get my minions to put me in charge of the Treasury (like when I'm in charge of the bank playing monopoly)

Pardon my debts

Stop all aid to Ukraine

Stop all aid to Israel

Restart the wall

Send all frozen assets back to Vlad (unless I can figure out a way to keep it myself)

Outlaw all other parties except the GOP

Begin 2028 campaign for Presidency (like I'll need to...ha, ha)

SCOTUS hears arguments for removing Trump from the ballot but they have indicated that they won’t. lol so much for being “constitutional originalists” cuz Trump has been charged w insurrection what are they waiting for, a conviction to say “remove him”?

the third of the court that Trump appointed will probably do mental gymnastics to come to the conclusion that the office of the presidency and even vice presidency isn’t specifically mentioned as one of the offices one would be disqualified from for participating or giving comfort to insurrectionists.  🙄

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

Conservative Justive Brett Kavanaugh asked Murray: "What about the idea that we should think about democracy?...Because your position has the effect of disenfranchising voters to a significant degree."

To this Murray responded: "The reason we're here is [former] President Trump tried to disenfranchise 80 million Americans who voted against him."

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, discolé monade said:

Conservative Justive Brett Kavanaugh asked Murray: "What about the idea that we should think about democracy?...Because your position has the effect of disenfranchising voters to a significant degree."

To this Murray responded: "The reason we're here is [former] President Trump tried to disenfranchise 80 million Americans who voted against him."

Kavanaugh can gargle a whole bag of dicks. By his logic, there should be no more elections allowed because there are always going to be people who voted for someone who didn't win. 

If you want to 'think about democracy', how about ensuring that temper tantrum throwing children can't return to office after throwing a temper tantrum that included a gallows, breaking and entering, trashing of a Capital building [ complete with feces smearing because that's totally how adults behave ], and chants that would get you a visit from the Secret Service if you posted them online. 

• Like 3