UnevenEdge

2024 Presidential Elections: the schadenfreude commences

NewBluntsworth

5 hours ago, Icarus27k said:

Nikki Haley's strategy may be to remain an alternative in case the GOP comes to its senses and dumps Trump after he's been convicted of 30+ felonies.

Or Trump ends up a vegetable.  It still amazes me that people aren’t acknowledging his cognitive decline.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, katt_goddess said:

They are, it's just they keep saying 'Biden' instead.

Projection stronger than a drive-in movie event. 

That’s part of it.  But, I think it’s far more critical than making a few off handed jokes.  We know he’s incontinent and has been for some time.  He can no longer disguise his impulse control issues.  More than his mental errors, the violence and hate that permeates the misinformation in his speeches lack any obvious calculus.  It’s entirely possible that, without the structure of a campaign, Donald Trump would experience a precipitous decline in his health.

19 hours ago, scoobdog said:

That’s part of it.  But, I think it’s far more critical than making a few off handed jokes.  We know he’s incontinent and has been for some time.  He can no longer disguise his impulse control issues.  More than his mental errors, the violence and hate that permeates the misinformation in his speeches lack any obvious calculus.  It’s entirely possible that, without the structure of a campaign, Donald Trump would experience a precipitous decline in his health.

Translation - he's literally held together with spite and the sticky tabs of his Huggies. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

20 minutes ago, Icarus27k said:

In the 2012 Michigan Democratic primary, then-President Obama got 89% of the vote and "uncommitted" got 11%.

It will be useful to compare it to Biden in tonight's Michigan Democratic primary.

But was there an issue comparable then to what is going on in Gaza now? 

Rep. Lauren Boebert’s son arrested in string of trespassing, thefts

https://kdvr.com/news/colorado/rep-lauren-boeberts-son-arrested-in-string-of-trespassing-thefts/

"DENVER (KDVR) — Congresswoman Lauren Boebert‘s son was arrested on Tuesday in connection to a string of vehicle trespassing and property thefts.

According to the Rifle Police Department, officers arrested 18-year-old Tyler Jay Boebert on Tuesday at 2:30 p.m.

Officers said Tyler’s arrest follows a recent string of vehicle trespassing and property thefts in Rifle."

I cannot wait for the rapidly approaching day when BoBo the Clown is relegated to the dustbin of history and we dont have to hear about her, or her family, any more.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

McConnell will step down as the Senate Republican leader in November after a record run in the job

https://apnews.com/article/mitch-mcconnell-senate-republican-leader-stepping-down-ba478d570a4561aa7baf91a204d7e366

"WASHINGTON (AP) — Mitch McConnell, the longest-serving Senate leader in history who maintained his power in the face of dramatic convulsions in the Republican Party for almost two decades, will step down from that position in November.

McConnell, who turned 82 last week, was set to announce his decision Wednesday in the well of the Senate, a place where he looked in awe from its back benches in 1985 when he arrived and where he grew increasingly comfortable in the front row seat afforded the party leaders.

“One of life’s most underappreciated talents is to know when it’s time to move on to life’s next chapter,” he said in prepared remarks obtained by The Associated Press. “So I stand before you today ... to say that this will be my last term as Republican leader of the Senate.”"

Well now, thats a pretty big development in the Senate. McConnell has been the GOP leader for ages. This is going to open up one hell of a power vacuum and the GOP infighting is going to be intense.

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, Master-Debater131 said:

“One of life’s most underappreciated talents is to know when it’s time to move on to life’s next chapter,” he said in prepared remarks obtained by The Associated Press. “So I stand before you today ... to say that this will be my last term as Republican leader of the Senate.”"

He could've "moved on" before he was 70 before mitläufer like Tuberville, Vance, Paul, Cruz, Lee, Scott and Hawley became the ones with the power on the GOP side of the Senate.

Sure, his focus on gaining power and nothing else has led to a lot of short term gains but the lack of vision and message created an incoherent and craven caucus of backstabbers, grand standers and sycophants. His brazen strategy of voting against things just to harm Democrats, even if it harms Americans in return, made him a true piece of shit.

Remember, McConnell doesn't hate Donald Trump because Trump is bad for America, he hates Donald Trump because Trump is bad for Republicans.

• Like 7

1 hour ago, Master-Debater131 said:

And boyyyyyyy is the Conservative wing of the GOP out in force right now.

How quickly they forget the 'Moscow Mitch' moniker that they themselves were so quick to applaud. 

If he's on the way out, he should totally lead a push to kick out some of the trash he embraced while in power. Pack it out with you, glitch. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Icarus27k said:

I would work to get a Democratic trifecta: presidency, House and Senate and then end the filibuster so that democracy actually works again. 

That way we can simply ignore the Trump party like we all should be doing. 

Counterpoint - keep the filibuster but make it 'Texas rules' since the same ones that have abused the very idea of filibuster can't stand on their own two feet without veering off course anyway. No more stunts of reading 'Green Eggs & Ham' over and over again to protest whatever burned their tiny balls. 

43 minutes ago, Raptorpat said:

SCOTUS unanimously holds that states don't have the authority to disqualify federal candidates through the 14th amendment. 

https://www.latimes.com/politics/story/2024-03-04/supreme-court-rules-trump-stays-on-the-ballot-despite-jan-6-mob-attack-on-the-capitol

It sounds like they took the notable "technicality" route rather than trying to rule on his actual eligibility, at which point the fix would be obvious to everyone.  Even the Democratic judges weren't going to object to the technicality.  

• Like 2

This shit is so fucking just, defeating. These judges have no one to answer to and can shape anything to their will. The overreach is unbelievable! And what can be done? They’re the highest court, who do you appeal to? They can slow roll a case if need be for political ends, and the fucking overreach, it’s, I can’t, I’m so tired.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SwimOdin said:

This shit is so fucking just, defeating. These judges have no one to answer to and can shape anything to their will. The overreach is unbelievable! And what can be done? They’re the highest court, who do you appeal to? They can slow roll a case if need be for political ends, and the fucking overreach, it’s, I can’t, I’m so tired.

There's a reason the job approval rating of the U.S. Supreme Court has dropped in the last 20 years. It's clear they are NOT an example of justice. I don't think John Roberts wanted his legacy to be "deference given to the powerful and those to whom we politically agree" but that's what historians will call his court. 

Thomas, Alito and Roberts aren't going to live forever, so there will eventually be a chance to swing the court back to equal justice. I would also seriously consider expanding the court, placing term limits on the justices and adjusting their annual salaries accordingly. 

Edited by Icarus27k
  • Like 4

21 hours ago, Raptorpat said:

SCOTUS unanimously holds that states don't have the authority to disqualify federal candidates through the 14th amendment. 

https://www.latimes.com/politics/story/2024-03-04/supreme-court-rules-trump-stays-on-the-ballot-despite-jan-6-mob-attack-on-the-capitol

States' rights!

Spoiler

When it's convenient!

• Like 4

On 12/21/2023 at 9:12 AM, Master-Debater131 said:

Theres really only one of two ways that this ends.

Either SCOTUS overrules this decision, or Red and Blue sates rush to find any excuse they have to pull the other parties nominee off the ballot.

The safe money is on SCOTUS overruling this decision. Trumps never actually been convicted of anything even remotely close to an Insurrection, so SCOTUS can easily say that CO got it wrong because Trump hasnt been tried and convicted of an Insurrection. Thats a pretty easy ruling that they can make without even touching the bigger question surrounding the 14th amendment.

Called it. Didn't get the technical aspect quite right, but the overall overturning of the case was easy to call and soundly within legal reasoning.

The entire premise of the case was ludicrous on its face. It wasn't based in anything other than fantasy, and this outcome was entirely predictable. The fact that it was a 9-0 ruling shows just how dumb the entire thing has been. I would say its time to move on, but I know that Dems will just turn to other lawfare tactics to try and keep Trump off the ballot.

14 hours ago, SwimOdin said:

Thats kinda the entire point of SCOTUS. They arent elected officials, so they dont have to bend to the political whims of anyone.

All this heat on SCOTUS is because Congress wont do its job and would rather try and use the courts to engage in law making. These big hairy problems are supposed to be tackled by Congress, but no one in Congress wants to do their job so instead they leave it up to the courts.

7 minutes ago, Icarus27k said:

Sinema's not running again. I'm not even going to look for a news link about. Because good riddance.

Don’t worry, I got you covered.

Her approval on both sides was in the toilet, so she gets to spend the rest of her life as a lavishly paid consultant.  Mission accomplished.

• Like 1

Really great for democracy. Unless you actually like non-controversial things like foreign aid being held up for BS, performative reasons. Get rid of that abuse of power coming from idiots with names like Rand and Lindsey. 

Screenshot_20240305-173034.thumb.png.302eceab8dd193f5f3ec63da4bfd0d0f.png

Regarding the filibuster:

McConnell is one of the biggest defenders of the filibuster. With him gone, it's only a matter of time before it ends. In fact, a Republican Senate could be the one to end it. 

Ted Cruz and Tommy Tubervile (however his name is spelled) would definitely end the filibuster to pass an abortion ban. So, Democrats shouldn't hesitate in doing it themselves. 

Haley is dropping out this morning.

Two of the most god awful candidates are going to have a rematch where no matter who wins, we all lose. Its truly amazing just how horrible both Biden and Trump are, and yet we are stuck with them.

Theres a real chance a 3rd party does damage this year. No one wants Biden or Trump. RFK may be crazy, but he may be a real threat to pick up a ton of votes this year simply as the "none of the above" candidate.

1 minute ago, André Toulon said:

Would be a great time to have Nabisco around, but he rather hunt hogs in his yard

That honestly sounds like a more productive use of time than spending it on anything Trump/Biden related.

At least then you fully expect to be covered in shit rather than pretending you arent when supporting either of these two candidates.

3 minutes ago, Master-Debater131 said:

That honestly sounds like a more productive use of time than spending it on anything Trump/Biden related.

At least then you fully expect to be covered in shit rather than pretending you arent when supporting either of these two candidates.

Ever with this dire mess, I can't see the brainwashed masses to collectively submit to that notion so at the moment, Biden Trump is a bleak inevitably, but maybe this will open up a real discussion about it and not just a bunch of tugging on the same two ended rope

• Like 1

I don't think it really can/will, at least with this matchup. Dems know they can't afford to risk another Trump term, and the chance of the party inevitably rallying around Trump again is too high. The party thrives on the "screw the libs" platform, and they can always count on Trump to screw everyone.

Despite the "both are bad" rhetoric, one is clearly worse. For a "good" third party year, you'd need a "both are bad, but at least neither are dangerous" selection. A losing at the roulette scenario, rather than our current losing at Russian roulette.

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, André Toulon said:

Ever with this dire mess, I can't see the brainwashed masses to collectively submit to that notion so at the moment, Biden Trump is a bleak inevitably, but maybe this will open up a real discussion about it and not just a bunch of tugging on the same two ended rope

You have a whole lot more faith than I do at this point then. We had 4 years to do a million things that would have prevented a rematch, and none of it happened. So here we are, Giant Douche vs Turd Sandwich, but on steroids.

15 minutes ago, rpgamer said:

I don't think it really can/will, at least with this matchup. Dems know they can't afford to risk another Trump term, and the chance of the party inevitably rallying around Trump again is too high. The party thrives on the "screw the libs" platform, and they can always count on Trump to screw everyone.

Despite the "both are bad" rhetoric, one is clearly worse. For a "good" third party year, you'd need a "both are bad, but at least neither are dangerous" selection. A losing at the roulette scenario, rather than our current losing at Russian roulette.

Problem is that right now the vast majority of Americans are saying neither is qualified to be President. It would be one thing if one candidate was clearly better than the other, but thats not the case. Biden looks like hes going to drop dead at any moment, and Trump is Trump.