UnevenEdge

What Are You Thinking About?

DragonSinger

On 4/16/2024 at 3:42 PM, naraku360 said:

Animorphs is really good at diving into morality and making it digestible to kids, but if those same parents had read it, it would've been very controversial.

Well... assuming they actually cared about violence, and weren't just mad about magic and witchcraft.

Well most of the parents that got themselves deep into the moral panic and did protests are just doing that for shows just to make them look good they possibility and read any of the books. I know I did one or two and I didn't care for it but I just stating this out front sometimes those moral panics are unjustified and a distraction to real issues. You know the Red Scare for example was overblown well the second Red Scare in the 50s and the the satanic Panic  of the 1970s to 1990s did not actually add anything to value theologically there's the rinse and repeat on us tape other people that don't believe the same shit  we do. The small attempt in Evangelical Christian circles to cause a moral panic dealing with the Lord of the Rings films being released but let's stop that was JRR tolkien was good  friends with CS Lewis a very popular fantasy writer in and Evangelical Protestant and greater Christian circles so Plus the creator of Lord of the Rings was deeply religious and Roman Catholic.  Evangelicals love to complain about Catholics but not enough to cause issues between the two denominations.

So yeah some of this stuff is just total BS

@naraku360 I will try to look into it but I am in the middle of rereading/listening to  the star wars X-Wing series of books

How how it sounds this series you're talking about is possibly something I don't want to read in my older years because frankly a story about children frankly about space aliens that can turn into animals. Doing Warfare or terrorism is frankly not a comfortable thought there's actually a reason that's a war crime albeit with children somehow rebelled against organized governments nowadays when surprise me for one too would that be counted as a war crime I don't know.

Edited by ghostrek
  • Like 1

I have a theory that 'free' wifi on planes is just a ruse, because it seems to be the mcdonalds ice cream machine of planes

It's conveniently 'not available' on most flights we seem to take

Ofc you can pay for it instead 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, ghostrek said:

How how it sounds this series you're talking about is possibly something I don't want to read in my older years because frankly a story about children frankly about space aliens that can turn into animals. Doing Warfare or terrorism is frankly not a comfortable thought there's actually a reason that's a war crime albeit with children somehow rebelled against organized governments nowadays when surprise me for one too would that be counted as a war crime I don't know.

It's more of a discussion on why they do it and how it got to that point. So if they do something horrible, it's not without reason or ramifications. It's never forgotten and weighs on the characters. For instance, the terrorist attack I mentioned is very frankly referred to as such and it's not advocating for it. It's handled with a lot of nuance. The characters all express similar sentiment as you before deciding that it's the only viable option to save the planet. In fact, in the final book

Spoiler

the series antagonist is put on trial by the U.N. and his defense attorney makes the argument that if our antagonist is a war criminal, then the same can be said about the main characters. The argument doesn't get handwaved and leads to serious consideration from the U.N. as to whether or not the circumstances behind the actions of the Animorphs were acceptable given the dire situation, and the accusation is made in reference to quite a few different books.

So they don't pull punches on addressing the questionable actions done by any character, even if it's the main crew.

There are some of the side-story Chronicles books that can give some idea of what the series is like outside the main cast, if you want something a bit less uncomfortable to start with.

The Hork-Bajir Chronicles or the Ellimist Chronicles could be good entry points. Hork-Bajir Chronicles is around the halfway point and Ellimist Chronicles is very late series, but I think they work well as standalone.

The Hork-Bajir Chronicles is about a race of simple, peaceful lizard-like that was conquered by the Yeerks, being parasitic slugs that crawl into a host's ear and takes over the brain and primary alien invader of the series. It's the backstory revolving around the war resulting in their loss. It gets told from three perspectives: an observer who gets invested in defending the Hork-Bajir, a rare genetic mutation of Hork-Bajir that has superior intellectual capacity (there are a couple of them throught the series) turned warrior, and the main series antagonist pre-Earth invasion.

The Ellimist Chronicles is basically like if Q had an origin story.

Both are excellent reads and take place before any of the main characters are born, so the ties are relatively minimal in those.

It's definitely a series that has many parts that you aren't supposed to feel comfortable with. Your concerns are understandable, but keep in mind the vast majority are handled as if it were an episode of Star Trek. They do typically lean toward the harsher moral dilemmas than TNG, though, given it is a group of young, untrained gurerrila combatants fighting a war with a pretty unflinching directness about the brutality of war.

The overall thesis statement is very, very anti-war. If someone does something with serious moral problems, they books will make it known that they're doing something horrible whether they believe it to be justified or not. It's honestly one of the best depictions of how different people cope with PTSD I've seen.

You should definitely give it a shot. You'll probably like them a lot more than it might seem. I wasn't sure I'd like them as an adult, but if I were to have kids, I think it's actually great introduction to developing a strong moral compass. As an adult, I felt that it was very worthwhile even though I didn't read it as a kid.

Edited by naraku360
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, discolé monade said:

marijuana

Momth on medical leave of absence + state paid leave dragging ass like it's glued to the carpet + employer short-term disability denial so absurd it is most likely criminal = negative money = 6 days without weed because they don't accept credit cards

Never get disability insurance through Lincoln Financial. If the evidence I gave wasn't enough, I seriously doubt they actually provide the alleged insurance.

I just found out otters rape other animals and kill them for fun.

This video I saw had a voice over so it was hilarious, and I just figured he ate the raccoon, so I didn't care until I went to the comments and discovered this was likely not a case of survival, but a fun raping. 🦦 💩

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, André Toulon said:

I just found out otters rape other animals and kill them for fun.

This video I saw had a voice over so it was hilarious, and I just figured he ate the raccoon, so I didn't care until I went to the comments and discovered this was likely not a case of survival, but a fun raping. 🦦 💩

O_O

Well then...

I finally got rid of those eyesore blinds in the living room and put up some curtains. I'm starting to wonder if those may be an eyesore as well because I choose to hang up black curtains in the living room. I am kinda second guessing that choice because I know that would be off putting when company comes over but it's not I'm going sitting the dark all day home I will be opening the curtains during the day because I like sunshine in my living room but I also like the idea of complete darkness when I want an afternoon nap and plus I don't have to deal with the constant glare of my neighbor's bright ass porch light every night. Black curtain in the living room is a mixed bag and I'm sure it makes me seem even weirder than I already am but the older I get the less fucks I give. 

• Like 2

What a great movie night! First Komodo vs Cobra, then Mega Piranha.  Now I'm torn between Attack of the Giant Leeches and Chupacabra vs The Alamo.

If I had a man and two robots held captive in a satellite, I'd be Pearl Forester.

• Like 1

I realize I've been familiar with at least 80 percent of the top 40 songs since 1998. I want to keep this going until I'm 40. The thing is, I really don't like Taylor Swift and she just released her largest album ever. 😭

• Like 1

The more things change the more they stay the same.  I remember during the pandemic marathon reading the old run of Marvel’s GI Joe I found on a website over lunch.  Four years later, over lunch I’m reading an issue of Duke over lunch.  

• Like 1

Seething at the fact my insurance claim is being denied in literally the most blatant bad faith I've ever seen out of a supposedly legitimate company, but have reached a vote of 0 confidence any more on the possibility of a single thing relating to them EVER going my way, so as much as I've been looking forward to meeting a lawyer about it later today, my suspicion is that I'll be denied for a legal case, too.

• Sad 1

Okay. Okay. You win.

Can you at least call the tech out and have them move the WiFi internet router to the center of the house so I have a stronger signal on the other end of the house, please? I'd be very grateful.