UnevenEdge

2024 Presidential Elections: the schadenfreude commences

NewBluntsworth

Biden may have trouble getting on Ohio's general election ballot, state's top election official warns

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/2024-election/biden-may-trouble-getting-ohios-general-election-ballot-rcna146706

"Ohio’s secretary of state on Friday signaled that the Democratic National Convention may take place too late for President Joe Biden to appear on the general election ballot in the state, according to a letter obtained by NBC News.

“The Democratic National Convention is scheduled to convene on August 19, 2024, which occurs more than a week after the August 7 deadline to certify a presidential candidate to the office,” Secretary of State Frank LaRose wrote to Ohio Democratic Party Chairwoman Liz Walters."

Dems basically have 2 options if they want Biden to be on the ballot in Ohio. They can either move up the convention, or they can hope that the GOP dominated Ohio Legislature changes the law.

ok so it definitely appears to be a concerted power move

“Alabama secretary of state says Democratic convention too late to get Biden on ballot this fall”

Al.com:

Alabama Secretary of State Wes Allen has notified the state and national Democratic parties that the scheduled date of the Democratic National Convention is a few days after the deadline for the party to put its nominees for president and vice president on the ballot for the general election in November.

The Republican National Convention came after the same deadline in 2020, but the Legislature passed a bill to allow ballot access. President Joe Biden’s campaign released a statement Tuesday night in response to Allen’s letter, saying the deadline would not keep the president off the ballot.

“Joe Biden will be on the ballot in all 50 states,” the campaign said. “State officials have the ability to grant provisional ballot access certification prior to the conclusion of presidential nominating conventions. In 2020 alone, states like Alabama, Illinois, Montana, and Washington all allowed provisional certification for Democratic and Republican nominees.”

Allen, who is a Republican, said state law requires parties to provide a certification of nomination for president and vice president no later than Aug. 15….

• Like 3

This is what you would typically call a "Nothingburger" because it amounts to little more than roughly a week's difference, and, while there is clearly a power move at play the time difference it too close for the Republicans to have any actual leverage.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Master-Debater131 said:

This is what I warned about when Democrats tried to remove Trump from the ballot. Once you start down that path nothing good happens. The Courts thankfully stopped that move, but its going to be a lot harder to stop these efforts if the GOP truly want to play hardball.

91 charges, multiple ongoing trials, fat bastard led an insurrection, on the hook for millions upon millions of dollars at this point having been found guilty of various crimes so far. If he's going to try claiming that he has presidential immunity forevers, then the 14th amendment 100% applies to him every single waking moment. The only reason he's still running around is because gutless republicans decided they'd rather lick his ass then kick his ass when dealing with not one but TWO impeachments. 

But yeah, how dare any American want that sort of trash off the ballot. :| 

And the GOP isn't going to have any money left soon enough because its ALL being funneled into the wealthiest person ever in the history of ever's pocket to pay for his continued lifestyle of piggery and to pay those mounting court fees. Something to think about the next time you get a 'give me money' e-mail from any republican. They ain't getting squat. 

• Thanks 2

16 hours ago, Mix said:

Did you all see the clip of Trump ordering Chick fil A?

He made the same hand gestures he makes when giving a speech.

I...think he's stuck in speech mode.

You mean you aren't supposed to look like you are playing an accordion and/or holding shake-weights while ordering at Chik-fil-A?

I've been doing it wrong all this time...

• Haha 4

16 hours ago, Mix said:

I like that when he said "thirty milkshakes" I immediately thought he couldn't possibly hold that much down, questioned the thought, and have reached the conclusion that he definitely tried.

• Haha 6

2 hours ago, naraku360 said:

I like that when he said "thirty milkshakes" I immediately thought he couldn't possibly hold that much down, questioned the thought, and have reached the conclusion that he definitely tried.

I assume that restaurant only got paid after no small effort on their part. 

On 3/31/2024 at 8:58 PM, Icarus27k said:

The long-term goal for presidential elections.

Screenshot_20240331-215556.thumb.png.06a11daf317c905e6e265ce57298ea2a.png

Long term goal should be ending the electoral college and putting it up to a popular vote. The electoral college came at a time when there was no real American identity, the population wasn't nearly as mobile and more than half of Americans had no right to vote.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

There is a growing push to dump the electoral college and go straight for the popular vote but the same people who think that Dumpster got the most votes in the history of ever will fight tooth and nail to keep the easier win of electoral college votes. 

I keep getting e-mail notices about various states signing on a popular vote pact where they will give all their electoral college points to whoever wins the popular vote in their state but I haven't really looked any further into that. Plus that's supposed to be how it works for most states [ even though, yeah, it doesn't for a number of reasons ].

• Like 4

17 hours ago, katt_goddess said:

There is a growing push to dump the electoral college and go straight for the popular vote but the same people who think that Dumpster got the most votes in the history of ever will fight tooth and nail to keep the easier win of electoral college votes. 

I keep getting e-mail notices about various states signing on a popular vote pact where they will give all their electoral college points to whoever wins the popular vote in their state but I haven't really looked any further into that. Plus that's supposed to be how it works for most states [ even though, yeah, it doesn't for a number of reasons ].

so I signed up for some survey thing: the annenberg public policy center. and quite a few questions on this last one was about getting rid of the ECV

• Like 1

Biden talking about opposing the Japanese purchase of US Steel to appeal to blue collar workers in PA is really rubbing me the wrong way. I mean, there's no way I'll ever vote for Trump, but still . . . my white grandfather lost his steel mill job in the 80s because of Japan. He really hated "Japs."

I suppose this is a story for another time. I am, after all, a considerably niche voter in a key battleground state.

35 minutes ago, Master-Debater131 said:

Loooootttttssss of people on the Right are having buyers remorse over handing Trump the nomination.

You voted for him to own the libs and make them cry liberal tears.  Almost like they don’t give a damn about anything but making the other side miserable because of slights against them.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Jman said:

You voted for him to own the libs and make them cry liberal tears.  Almost like they don’t give a damn about anything but making the other side miserable because of slights against them.

Me? I voted for him the first time because Hillary can never be in the White House. I didnt vote for him the second time because hes fucking Donald Trump. I wont vote for him the 3rd time for the exact same reason.

Ive been pretty clear that I wanted DeSantis. I think hes a far better candidate, and would make a far better President than either of our current main options. Unfortunately the MAGA base of the GOP would rather the party die than nominate someone who isnt a giant pile of shit.

RFK is fucking crazy, but hes the most likely to get my vote if only to try and get a 3rd party enough votes to qualify for public funding in 2028. He wont win, but having a viable 3rd party is the best way out of our current insanity.

1 minute ago, Master-Debater131 said:

Me? I voted for him the first time because Hillary can never be in the White House. I didnt vote for him the second time because hes fucking Donald Trump. I wont vote for him the 3rd time for the exact same reason.

Ive been pretty clear that I wanted DeSantis. I think hes a far better candidate, and would make a far better President than either of our current main options. Unfortunately the MAGA base of the GOP would rather the party die than nominate someone who isnt a giant pile of shit.

RFK is fucking crazy, but hes the most likely to get my vote if only to try and get a 3rd party enough votes to qualify for public funding in 2028. He wont win, but having a viable 3rd party is the best way out of our current insanity.

I was more responding to the GOP voter base in general.  The fact that they can’t quit him when pretty much every political strategist said leaving him to the curb was the best play, especially given Biden’s unpopularity, was telling.  It’s much harder to frame DeSantis as the Project 2025 existential crisis.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Jman said:

I was more responding to the GOP voter base in general.  The fact that they can’t quit him when pretty much every political strategist said leaving him to the curb was the best play, especially given Biden’s unpopularity, was telling.  It’s much harder to frame DeSantis as the Project 2025 existential crisis.

Ah gotcha. Apologies then.

I agree with you. The smartest move for the GOP would be to jettison Trump as fast as possible. But there are enough absolutely batshit insane voters in the base that they cant. The GOP base has been completely corrupted by MAGA and Trump. Just look at MTG, she is absolutely insane and quite possibly the dumbest person in Congress, yet she is going to win again because the base is just as insane and dumb.

Ive said for a while now that literally any other GOP candidate from Trump and the GOP wins this pretty easily. But because they are hell bent on burning the ship and sinking the wreckage the GOP is going with Trump.

Unless hes "unavailable". The courts, or health, might save the GOP from itself.

It would absolutely be peak irony if a Democrat DA causes Trump to go to jail, thus allowing the GOP to nominate a new candidate, who then beats the Democrat nominee.

40 minutes ago, Icarus27k said:

I await the exact number of states RFK Jr makes it to, either listed on the ballot or as a write-in.

I don't pay attention to polls that list him as a candidate because I'm still not sure he's going to be competing. 

It's baffling the alternative to Biden or Trump is RFK.

We really are the dumbest country.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Master-Debater131 said:

Im Ron Burgundy?

Hes totally OK guys.

Friendly reminder that 'disclose.tv' is based in Germany and it's sole purpose is to deliberately spread conspiracy theories and disinformation while claiming its totally real news. 

Another tell is that purchased Blue Anus checkmark. 

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Master-Debater131 said:

Im Ron Burgundy?

Hes totally OK guys.

I still have no idea why conservatives don’t know what dementia actually looks like.  Also, you’re too lazy to put in two measly apostrophes in seven total words?  These two statements may be related.

• Like 2

It's said that Trump has a adderall addition.  Tom Arnold said he even snorted it during parties.
This is likely the main reason why he shits his pants.  Also could explain his mental state.

The few people here who may still be planning on voting for Trump, do you really want a drug addicted pants shitter as POTUS?

Edited by Sieg67
  • Haha 5

1 hour ago, Sieg67 said:

Trumps pick for VP Kristi Noem admitted in a book that she killed her family's 14 month old puppy and then their goat immediately after.

https://abcnews.go.com/Politics/new-book-kristi-noem-writes-shooting-dog/story?id=109695091

Remember folks, it's easier to murder your problems away instead of investing in training....or leashes.

That’s a terrifying ticket she’s a fuckin monster 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Sieg67 said:

Trumps pick for VP Kristi Noem admitted in a book that she killed her family's 14 month old puppy and then their goat immediately after.

https://abcnews.go.com/Politics/new-book-kristi-noem-writes-shooting-dog/story?id=109695091

Remember folks, it's easier to murder your problems away instead of investing in training....or leashes.

Why would anyone share this information under the impression it makes them look good?

• Like 3

Clearly the dog was just uncontrol oh wait.
"The Wirehaired Pointing Griffon is independent and easily distracted, but he is not a dominant dog and is quite responsive to obedience training that includes a calm voice and light hand."

Ah, here we go.
"I hated that dog," Noem reveals

Pretty sure she's just a heartless idiot and did some mental gymnastics to somehow equate this to Old Yeller.

Edited by Sieg67
  • Thanks 2
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, Icarus27k said:

Why would anyone share this information under the impression it makes them look good?

She's an authoritarian hiding behind her oafish mannerisms, and authoritarians know how to make examples of creatures that are weaker than them.

This kind of atrocious action plays very well to the fringe elements in Trump's orbit and to Trump himself, although the backlash likely pushed her out of contention.

It's important to remember that authoritarians are fundamentally weak people with poor leadership skills that use charisma and brutality to compensate.  Stories like the one she's recounted can be found in all the worst dictators in history, and they all made it into power despite these stories existing.

• Like 1

Fun fact, 'look-at-my-hair' Noem is currently legally banned from like 10% of South Dakota lands. So far. 

Four tribal nations have her listed as a persona non gratia for being a worthless, xenophobic butthole. 

She decides to be a big shot on their lands, she can be detained, arrested and held, or outright shot as a trespasser since shooting trespassers is something she's all for. 

• Like 5

Remember when everyone was like “at least he’s got a VP and other staffers to rein him in?” about Trump?

Well, he seems to have learned his lesson about that. Noem would have done exactly everything Trump wants. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

21 hours ago, 1pooh4u said:

Remember when everyone was like “at least he’s got a VP and other staffers to rein him in?” about Trump?

Well, he seems to have learned his lesson about that. Noem would have done exactly everything Trump wants. 

I honestly feel like the only reason he'll ever 'pick' someone to be VP is because it's an expected part of the election process. And whoever is named will have likely donated massively to his yuge court bills and continued luxury living election fund.

Everyone knows he has no interest in anyone being in a position of power right next to him. Dictators don't have 'vice' anythings. 

• Like 4

On 4/12/2024 at 12:36 AM, Mix said:

Speaking of that visit, turns out it was staged because of course it was.  He also pays people to attend his..."rallies"

https://apnews.com/article/trump-chick-fil-a-black-voters-d981e8edac067fa8912cc56c92d8b9ab

Edit:Just realized how far back I was in this thread.

Edited by Sieg67
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

44 minutes ago, katt_goddess said:

I honestly feel like the only reason he'll ever 'pick' someone to be VP is because it's an expected part of the election process. And whoever is named will have likely donated massively to his yuge court bills and continued luxury living election fund.

Everyone knows he has no interest in anyone being in a position of power right next to him. Dictators don't have 'vice' anythings. 

If they win it’ll probably be the end of those pesky elections we have all the time 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, 1pooh4u said:

If they win it’ll probably be the end of those pesky elections we have all the time 

That's the end game.

'If everyone who could vote did vote, republicans would never hold office ever again.' <- literal argument made whenever the idea of making Election Day a holiday so people could actually get out and vote comes up for debate

• Like 1

couple things :

#45 is relatable to blacks because of his felons?  

or suggesting that Black people would empathize with his dozens of felony charges — and has offended longtime critics and some potential allies.

“Thinking Black voters relate to Donald Trump because he spent twenty minutes handing out freebies at a fast food restaurant is yet another insult to our intelligence – and perfect example of just how disingenuous Trump’s outreach to Black voters continues to be,” Harris said in a statement.

i mean...is anyone else SUPER stocked STOKED even about november? 

i know i am. :painfap:

Edited by discolé monade
  • Like 4

Besides his name, most of Kennedy’s positions, vaccine conspiracies, conspiracy about voting, etc, are right wing talking points.  It makes perfect sense he would appeal to them.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

4 minutes ago, Jman said:

Besides his name, most of Kennedy’s positions, vaccine conspiracies, conspiracy about voting, etc, are right wing talking points.  It makes perfect sense he would appeal to them.

Right?!?  The only thing that might seem slightly appealing is his stance on environmental issues. He was an environmental lawyer that used to sue companies for polluting water and he was against fracking. Ofc RFK, Jr threw some of that to the side to run for president and get those corporate polluting campaign dollars 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1