UnevenEdge

PC and Tech Support

i wanted to play age of mythology on steam

but in the game (and only in this game) the right-click is like mapped as left click, which kind of makes the game impossible to play

but there's nothing in the key binding options that sets it to that, and it only happens in this specific game so i suspect it's not the mouse or computer, but i also reinstalled the game and it still happens

so now the hour that i wanted to kill was filled with disappointment

so either I'm dumb or it's only obvious now, but right click is definitely doing both left and right click regardless of what i'm doing. i switched USB ports so it's either a driver problem (though i updated them) or a hardware problem.

i will have to find another mouse to try tho.

edit: ok so i took the mouse apart once i figured out how to find the screws and i cleaned out a little bit of cat hair and now it's fine. i really don't know how that caused that, because it didn't seem like it would cause pressing the one button to trigger another button, but what do i know. 

now all i gotta do is figure out what's the deal with my GPU, and I already cleaned out the cat hair.

When I run games it overheats until the computer resets. I bought the PC about a year and a half ago and it only started doing that over the past couple months.

I've downloaded msi afterburner to tweak the fan controls and monitor the temps, and I finally found the very well hidden Win10 event viewer that displays all the crashes and it says it's a power issue. I'm not there to check but it's a kernal-62 or kernel-63 or whatever error.

So in my infinite wisdom I think I've narrowed it down to either the GPU itself, a problem with the power supply to the GPU, or a problem with my 60 year old house's electricity output.

On 9/21/2018 at 11:34 AM, Admin_Raptorpat said:

When I run games it overheats until the computer resets. I bought the PC about a year and a half ago and it only started doing that over the past couple months.

I've downloaded msi afterburner to tweak the fan controls and monitor the temps, and I finally found the very well hidden Win10 event viewer that displays all the crashes and it says it's a power issue. I'm not there to check but it's a kernal-62 or kernel-63 or whatever error.

So in my infinite wisdom I think I've narrowed it down to either the GPU itself, a problem with the power supply to the GPU, or a problem with my 60 year old house's electricity output.

Air-can your PSU. Hard, and rough,

On 9/21/2018 at 8:34 AM, Admin_Raptorpat said:

well that would suggest a psu problem but it wouldnt be a bad idea to get a air gun and removing all the dust. 

then once you removd the psu then you can try running a game again to see if it crashes. make sure you run temperature monitoring software to see if any other components might be overheating. if it crashes again i would highly suggest replacing the psu with one that is the same wattage as the old psu and also rated at least 80% gold. evga is my favorite manufacturer since they got good quality components in their psu's and their warranties are great. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/21/2018 at 10:34 AM, Admin_Raptorpat said:

If your CPU is overheating, that wouldn't be a problem with PSU or your GPU.    That would either be a dusty computer, old thermal paste or broken fan.  From what I read, event 41 just means there was an unexpected shut down which could be caused by overheating.  Modern processes will shut down the computer before they get the chance to cook themselves.

If you do think your GPU is overheating, you can do the same as you would your CPU.  Dust out the heatsink, check the fans and apply fresh paste.

Edited by Sieg67

On 10/8/2018 at 4:30 PM, Sieg67 said:

If you do think your GPU is overheating, you can do the same as you would your CPU.  Dust out the heatsink, check the fans and apply fresh paste.

So a friend of mine has been helping me.

We cleaned any dust out of the card and any in the box that I might have missed the first time, and when he took the card to clean it, he put in a spare card to test under the theory that if his downgraded spare doesn't crash, then my GPU is the problem and not the PSU or anything else.

Next night he puts my card back in (says there wasn't really a whole lot of dust in it, but it only has the one fan so it's prone to overheating) and downloads speccy and tests it to see how far it take to push the card to crash, says if if continues to crash we'll add better thermal paste.

So last night of course it crashes. Screen goes black, GPU fan blasts on max, and a couple minutes later it reboots. Only thing is, the air blowing out the back wasn't hot lava by any means, and speccy said it topped out at 66C at the crash point - which as far as I know is normal.

So he's going to stop back tonight with thermal paste, but I kind of think maybe the card is fucked? Regardless, super shitty this started happening a couple months after the warranty expires...

• Like 1

the graphic card update shouldnt trigger windows defender to do anything since both nvidia and amd are safe sources. are you getting them straight from the manufacturers web site? if not i would do that first. if you still having problems you can disable the real time protection under the virus & threat protection settings. just type virus on your explorer on the task bar and it will be the first choice that comes up. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Distortedreasoning said:

seems very high, you probably didnt apply it properly. 

It hasn't crashed since. I'm kinda of the mindset that something else has been causing it to over heat, and him applying the fresh paste is what has kept it just on this side of the point of no return.

most gpu dont really have that high of an idle tempature. i've had both amd and nvidia gpus and they all idle from about 40-50c and go about 10-20c higher when in load. 80c is very high for almost any electronic component and will most likely shut off. you could put your hand where the air comes off the gpu maybe even do a quick touch to see if its really that high. sometimes the sensors arent accurate so going by touch is your next thing. 

if you really want to stress test it, run a gpu benchmark and let it run for at least a day or until it crashes. 

• 1 month later...

ok the resolution to the story is that it is the GPU and it looks to be a software issue that is replicated on other computers

the GPU's fan does not switch on when it is supposed to, so I'd boot up a game and it'd just overheat immediately

so in the interim I have to run MSI Afterburner with the fan control settings set up fairly aggressively and it seems to perform fine (I tried using MSI Afterburner previously, but I guess I didn't have the custom controls aggressive enough)

so now my assumption is that there was a driver update somewhere along the line that screwed it, but it'd take a bit of effort to try to pinpoint when the overheating started

• 2 weeks later...

Throughout my college career, I have been faced with a multitude of various problems that hindered the functionality of my laptop. First my screen was unable to turn on, prompting me to replace the motherboard. After that, the charge was at 0% and it wouldn't increase even when plugged in, so I got the battery replaced. The charge was non-zero but it still wouldn't increase, so I had to get the motherboard replaced again. Then for a year and a half, things were good. Then came a broken screen hinge forcing me to replace the entire screen, then the hard drive overheating and forcing that to be replaced. Ever since my 4-year warranty expired, the only problem I've had was some of my keyboard buttons no longer working, a problem easily fixed with a USB keyboard.

But now, I've come across my biggest and bizarrest problem yet.

Periodically, my laptop touchpad quits working. Sometimes it quits multiple times in a span of minutes, other times it takes hours before it pops up again. The fact of the matter is, it stops suddenly. And when it does, I can't press the shift key on my USB keyboard without doing the Ctrl+V function, something that only happens with the Insert key is stuck. (I also find myself unable to view multiple windows at once whenever I press a taskbar icon that has two or more windows active, but that's neither here nor there.) The only temporary fixes I have for this problem at the moment are pressing the Shift key on the laptop keyboard and pressing the Caps Lock key on my USB keyboard, but who knows how long that'll last?

In short, this is a weird, weird problem with no plausible explanation outside of my keyboard getting old and shorting out periodically. I'm gonna try replacing the keyboard sometime later this month, but if that doesn't work, I might just have no other choice than to buy a new laptop altogether. But even if it doesn't come to that, there's no denying that this is the strangest computer problem I've ever faced in my entire life.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

So is there a way to scan a specific file for malware?  I've got Malwarebytes, but as far as I can tell that only scans the system and not files, and has no option for scanning files on a Mac.  Am I misunderstanding that?  I know they've said outright custom scans of individual files are neither available nor a priority for them to implement on the Mac software, but are they scanned during a regular scan?

Since the new year Firefox has been giving me malware warnings on downloads but I don't think they're infected unless the lockers are adding it when they're uploaded (which would be stupid if it's even possible), and I'm not seeing complaints in the forum.  MWB sez scans are ok, but if it's not scanning files I haven't launched, that's meaningless.

I've read that Firefox just tags files from sites that have been reported to google as possible malware sites, but the site itself doesn't trigger an alert.  FF sez they "may" sent metadata to google to verify or something, but the message is no different from what you get if they're just going by general reports.

Also, any guesses as to why I can't see pictures on imgur's site (I have to open Safari to view them), but they show up if someone embeds them, and why I can't see videos on Crunchyroll's new html5 player on either browser?

10 hours ago, Gina Szanboti said:

So is there a way to scan a specific file for malware?  I've got Malwarebytes, but as far as I can tell that only scans the system and not files, and has no option for scanning files on a Mac.  Am I misunderstanding that?  I know they've said outright custom scans of individual files are neither available nor a priority for them to implement on the Mac software, but are they scanned during a regular scan?

Since the new year Firefox has been giving me malware warnings on downloads but I don't think they're infected unless the lockers are adding it when they're uploaded (which would be stupid if it's even possible), and I'm not seeing complaints in the forum.  MWB sez scans are ok, but if it's not scanning files I haven't launched, that's meaningless.

I've read that Firefox just tags files from sites that have been reported to google as possible malware sites, but the site itself doesn't trigger an alert.  FF sez they "may" sent metadata to google to verify or something, but the message is no different from what you get if they're just going by general reports.

Also, any guesses as to why I can't see pictures on imgur's site (I have to open Safari to view them), but they show up if someone embeds them, and why I can't see videos on Crunchyroll's new html5 player on either browser?

on mac software? i dont have much experince with that. normally on windows you could just right click and get the option to scan with your anti virus software. i really dont know if mac has something similar. 

15 hours ago, Gina Szanboti said:

Did you check the right click menu at the bottom to see if there was a "Scan with xxxxx" menu item?

Edited by scoobdog

You mean the right click on the file I want to scan?  I tried that, but there's no option.

I guess I could try uploading the file somewhere and then downloading it to see if it still gets flagged.  If not, that would mean the site is just on google's shitlist for hosting files with malware (though they claim to scan uploads), or someone just troll reporting them.

I guess if I just open the file Malwarebytes will quarantine it at that point, right?

• 5 weeks later...

wife is picking up an ipad with the intention of doing screen capture videos for various reasons, including some youtube video stuff. i know the ipad native resolution is 4:3, but i'd be uploading these videos in 16:9. having never owned an iProduct in my life, i don't know if / how easily you can adjust the screen reso to something that will more accurately display in the widescreen ratio. i can clean it up in the editor if i have to, but it would just be a lot easier if you could capture in 16:9.

• 1 month later...

could be a pretty nasty virus. sometimes the very bad ones persist even through a reformat/fresh install. did you do a whole new reformat/ fresh install? 

the hard drive itself might be the problem too if its corrupted. i had one that made everything slow that i ended up replacing. do you have hdd or ssd? 

last thing i would look at is cpu temp. if your laptop is getting supper hot then most likely its slowing down your cpu speed. download cpu z and that will give you all the readings you need.

• 1 month later...
6 minutes ago, HardcoreHunter said:

right click the icon on desktop, open file location, click the uninstall exe 

That doesn't work go into task manager and find spotify and end task. Then go back and try to uninstall through control panel again

That was a decent idea. There wasn't an uninstall.exe but I deleted the spotify folder manually which then allowed the installer to work. Seems to be working now. Thanks for responding tho! :)

• 1 month later...

So I have a dead USB port in a laptop and unfortunately, it's connected to the motherboard instead of a daughterboard.  Is the general consensus that I'd be better off soldering a new port or replacing the board outright?