UnevenEdge

PC and Tech Support

4 hours ago, flcl_grim said:

How did a thread about PC support and help turn into yet another frothing consumerist circlejerk?

At least bring a fucking biscuit next time.

I was going to buy a 6900XT myself but I decided to buy a car instead. And with the money I saved I can finally take that vacation.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Question for a dumb person:

I opened up my desktop to clean it out with compressed air. I popped out the cpu fan and sprayed it off, and then put it back in.

The fan has four plastic pegs that fix it in place, and each peg has two plastic pins that click it in. One of the pins on one of the pegs snapped off when trying to put it back, but it's otherwise firmly in place. I didn't touch the thermal paste between the fan and the CPU.

So I turn the PC back on and the fan kicks into high gear, with a warning message that the CPU temp is fluctuating between 90 and 100 degrees celsius (the air blowing out is completely cool).

What am I supposed to do here? Does it know the plastic pin is missing or does it need thermal paste or should I quit trying to enjoy life in any capacity?

On 12/12/2020 at 12:07 AM, Raptorpat said:

I opened up my desktop to clean it out with compressed air. I popped out the cpu fan and sprayed it off, and then put it back in.

The fan has four plastic pegs that fix it in place, and each peg has two plastic pins that click it in. One of the pins on one of the pegs snapped off when trying to put it back, but it's otherwise firmly in place. I didn't touch the thermal paste between the fan and the CPU.

So I turn the PC back on and the fan kicks into high gear, with a warning message that the CPU temp is fluctuating between 90 and 100 degrees celsius (the air blowing out is completely cool).

What am I supposed to do here? Does it know the plastic pin is missing or does it need thermal paste or should I quit trying to enjoy life in any capacity?

Always replace the Thermal paste whenever you remove the cooler.    It sounds like you're using a stock intel cooler.  You can either try to zip-tie it down(somehow, idk) or just get a third party cooler.
Gotta tell you, I hate the stock intel coolers.  I would get something that screws onto the motherboard.  Make sure whatever cooler you're wanting to get supports your socket if you do this.

Edited by Sieg67

On 12/13/2020 at 2:21 AM, Codename: Jackass said:

5/10

should have gone with a ryzen 3000 series cpu. gpu is ok. having a mechanical hard drive in this day and age as your main storage drive is a crime. hell they have nvme drives with the same capacity at a few dollars more. 

On 12/11/2020 at 10:07 PM, Raptorpat said:

a bit late but you gonna need to find that peg that clicks it. those fan set ups need the heatsink to be making super tight contact. also need to clean up all the old paste and apply new paste properly before installing back. 

33 minutes ago, Distortedreasoning said:

5/10

should have gone with a ryzen 3000 series cpu. gpu is ok. having a mechanical hard drive in this day and age as your main storage drive is a crime. hell they have nvme drives with the same capacity at a few dollars more. 

This is my first setup and I'm still learning. If I'd realized at the time that the Ryzen 5 3600x would have been better I would have just gotten it instead, so dumb of me.

As far as the HDD goes, I didn't really want a mechanical one but I saw the price and bought it. So when it inevitably breaks after a year I'll just cry about it I guess.

16 minutes ago, Codename: Jackass said:

This is my first setup and I'm still learning. If I'd realized at the time that the Ryzen 5 3600x would have been better I would have just gotten it instead, so dumb of me.

As far as the HDD goes, I didn't really want a mechanical one but I saw the price and bought it. So when it inevitably breaks after a year I'll just cry about it I guess.

eh dont worry too much. that motherboard will at least be able to support up to ryzen 5000 series cpus and prices on ssd/nvme's are going down every year so your upgrade path is pretty good. and that video card should take care of most your gaming needs for a couple of years. 

40 minutes ago, Codename: Jackass said:

I'm probably going to upgrade the CPU at some point eventually and I do plan on getting a SSD as my storage drive but I was trying to save a little bit of money.

for your system the first upgrade i'd make is ssd. you'll notice that the most.

then video card if you not keeping up with games, and lastly cpu. 

• 1 month later...
On 12/15/2020 at 11:54 PM, Codename: Jackass said:

I don't know if it showed up but I've got a 1TB M2 drive that I'm going to be keeping my OS on and I'll probably use the HDD purely for storing games and stuff.

I would also like a better GPU but most people that I've talked to seem to think that it'll be okay for the time being.

I mean gpus are ridiculously overpriced right now and have been for a couple years

• Like 1

13 hours ago, JehutyNinja said:

I mean gpus are ridiculously overpriced right now and have been for a couple years

its a very ugly situation. even the older gen stuff is out of stock and expensive to buy from ebay. bad timing to get a gpu. honestly not sure how long this will last. i have a rtx3080 ordered in december from this chinese site that was supposed to arrive in january but i keep getting daily emails about a delay. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Anybody else getting this annoyance with Chrome?  On average, every third or fourth search returns - 

image.png.912fb4110b51ca976d0c6497d29f1228.png

It seems to have started last Wednesday.  Chrome still has the same version number as last week.  It looks like people have had this happen since 2006, with most having it "go away" after a week or two.

Edited by tsar4

• 1 month later...
12 hours ago, JehutyNinja said:

I would find it hard if it was exclusive to Chrome... However, with that said, I use Opera and haven't seen that message. It looks concerning though, it has to involve bots somehow since that's about the only thing captcha checks

I've been using FF and I haven't seen it on here.

• 1 month later...

My temp. Facebook was set to delete itself on a certain time and date and I got a security email that someone signed in from an unusual location and they wanted to make sure it was me.  Well, no it wasn't me.  So they lock it and require  ID be sent in a pic through their system.  Followed through because the email security notification I told you about had a profile picture I have never seen before.  Of ME.  Probably 5-10 years ago.  Weird right?  No.  Facebook won't answer my ID verification  attempt and that is several times.  So I'm stuck knowing someone signed into my Facebook, changed my profile picture and god knows what else and bypassed my password and whatever security  thing that triggered,  AND has old.ass.pictures of me.  Any weird attempt to answer is welcome.

Edited by CactusLove

21 hours ago, CactusLove said:

My temp. Facebook was set to delete itself on a certain time and date and I got a security email that someone signed in from an unusual location and they wanted to make sure it was me.  Well, no it wasn't me.  So they lock it and require  ID be sent in a pic through their system.  Followed through because the email security notification I told you about had a profile picture I have never seen before.  Of ME.  Probably 5-10 years ago.  Weird right?  No.  Facebook won't answer my ID verification  attempt and that is several times.  So I'm stuck knowing someone signed into my Facebook, changed my profile picture and god knows what else and bypassed my password and whatever security  thing that triggered,  AND has old.ass.pictures of me.  Any weird attempt to answer is welcome.

stalker. or maybe body snatchers.

depends on how often they like posts from other fackbookers. if it's a lot, probably just a stalker. if it's never, not once...definitely body snatchers.

• 3 weeks later...
16 hours ago, Doom Metal Alchemist said:

When I'm shopping for a USB-C to USB-C data cable, how do I know what I am buying is actually a data cable and not a useless garbage piece of shit should-not-even-exist-anymore charging only cable?

If you're shopping online, look for data transfer speeds.  I'm not sure if specs like that would be listed on brick and mortar store boxes.

Edit:Spelling

Edited by Sieg67
  • Like 2

From time to time, my laptop monitor won't display anything. I have it plugged into a TV via HDMI and the external display works. I try going into my graphics properties and setting the dual-displays to "extended desktop". I've tried unplugging and re-plugging the HDMI cable. The laptop screen flickers so I know it's trying to display something. I find that usually helps but the other day, it didn't work at all. It's working now but for some time, the laptop display has been a crapshoot. Anyone think it could be the screen? A bad connection?

41 minutes ago, Real_AirCooledGirl said:

From time to time, my laptop monitor won't display anything. I have it plugged into a TV via HDMI and the external display works. I try going into my graphics properties and setting the dual-displays to "extended desktop". I've tried unplugging and re-plugging the HDMI cable. The laptop screen flickers so I know it's trying to display something. I find that usually helps but the other day, it didn't work at all. It's working now but for some time, the laptop display has been a crapshoot. Anyone think it could be the screen? A bad connection?

It's likely a defective screen, or the cable that connects to it inside the laptop could be loose.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, DBAss said:

It's likely a defective screen, or the cable that connects to it inside the laptop could be loose.

This would be the first thing I would check.  Open the top of the laptop and reseat the cable. 
You can either look up how to do that yourself or you can tell me the make and model so that I can walk you through it.

• Like 1

@Real_AirCooledGirlLaptops are freaking fuck all hard to troubleshoot when it comes to issues like this, but yeah if an external monitor is getting video the laptops lcd screen itself is probably fucked, bad solder, short circuit your guess is as good as mine there. They arent built to be easily dissassembled either so...Find some basement dwelling god willing to dismantle the screen or send it to the manufacturer.. You may not even need to take apart the screen to fix it if the break is a bad solder from say the graphics card or what serves as one in that laptop. 

I've had bad experiences with my own personal laptops taking them apart, and I mean some I've just taken apart for the fun of it because they were old as fuck and did their duty imo...Each friggin brand and model has their own quirks for example some brands have the graphics processor built into the friggin motherboard, or GPU CPU, and motherboard are one fucking fused together piece that's way too hard to seperate, and put together without damging...and you might need to remove them to find the bad solder depending on how the manufacturer stuffed all that shit inside.. 

Rant over I just hate that shit my bad, 

😦

• 2 weeks later...

Here’s one. I need help configuring a mic with windows 11.  I recently downloaded a new version of Winamp for pc so I can get EQ functionality and hopefully (driver software?) I am unsure that just plugging in the mic to run it opposed to a codec like Winamp would work to isolate and eliminate open air sound from fans and the rest of the cooling system.  Just need to know whether codec will allow fluid transmission of sound from external mic on windows 11. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 8/8/2022 at 11:41 PM, PoopyBritches said:

Here’s one. I need help configuring a mic with windows 11.  I recently downloaded a new version of Winamp for pc so I can get EQ functionality and hopefully (driver software?) I am unsure that just plugging in the mic to run it opposed to a codec like Winamp would work to isolate and eliminate open air sound from fans and the rest of the cooling system.  Just need to know whether codec will allow fluid transmission of sound from external mic on windows 11. 

Could it be that easy?

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/17/2022 at 1:40 PM, Distortedreasoning said:

i got no experience with windows 11 but maybe can still help. 

i would look for the driver software for your mic by going to the manufacturers site and getting them from there. i doubt you get drivers from winamp. 

So Poopybritches is mine, let’s get that out of the way before I address your comment correctly. Would the best route for GAMEPLAY COMMENTARY, not chat, be a set of earphones with a mic? Times got tough and I had to sell my microphone and monitor. So no sound in or out. But I do have speakers. The problem I am and will be having is feedback from my ac unit, the rig itself and the refrigerator. I cannot get those sounds out if my mic is picking up stuff from around my apartment. Win 11 turns out to be irrelevant cous it will just pickup whatever I plug in with no troubleshooting. But I want to fine tune my sound. 

23 hours ago, Distortedreasoning said:

your specs aint gonna matter much. operating system shouldnt matter much either, long as you got the correct drivers. as for your mic picking up sounds? thats probably gonna be a problem till you get one that doesnt. im not really familiar with any software that could help you out there either. 

Could it be that easy?

So Poopybritches is mine, let’s get that out of the way before I address your comment correctly. Would the best route for GAMEPLAY COMMENTARY, not chat, be a set of earphones with a mic? Times got tough and I had to sell my microphone and monitor. So no sound in or out. But I do have speakers. The problem I am and will be having is feedback from my ac unit, the rig itself and the refrigerator. I cannot get those sounds out if my mic is picking up stuff from around my apartment. Win 11 turns out to be irrelevant cous it will just pickup whatever I plug in with no troubleshooting. But I want to fine tune my sound. 
-

I didn't even know why my mic was shit. It didn't have active noise cancelling. The mic on my laptop is probably lbetter at picking sounds.  Not that it makes a big difference. I'll probably ask for a set of headphones with a mic for Christmas.

On 9/30/2022 at 8:54 PM, Lemming said:

Could it be that easy?

So Poopybritches is mine, let’s get that out of the way before I address your comment correctly. Would the best route for GAMEPLAY COMMENTARY, not chat, be a set of earphones with a mic? Times got tough and I had to sell my microphone and monitor. So no sound in or out. But I do have speakers. The problem I am and will be having is feedback from my ac unit, the rig itself and the refrigerator. I cannot get those sounds out if my mic is picking up stuff from around my apartment. Win 11 turns out to be irrelevant cous it will just pickup whatever I plug in with no troubleshooting. But I want to fine tune my sound. 
-

I didn't even know why my mic was shit. It didn't have active noise cancelling. The mic on my laptop is probably lbetter at picking sounds.  Not that it makes a big difference. I'll probably ask for a set of headphones with a mic for Christmas.

mics aint that complex, they mostly are all very plug and play and should work with little issue. yeah i guess you can try and use codecs to see if you see improvement. you could probably even move to a less noisy spot if possible? or you might have better luck trying to create barriers to try and dampen the noise like what musicians do. if i was in your position, i would research mics in the price range you were looking for and see which one will work best for your set up. look up videos of streamers that have dealt with noisy environments, all that good stuff. 

• 1 month later...

Not really a PC or tech question, but is anyone here an expert at Tableau?  I've got a map created with locations on it and I'm trying to use an action filter to "zoom" in on counties when you click them, while keeping the locations intact.  I got the zoom to work, but the locations all disappear when it happens.  I'm thinking it is something to do with layers, but I haven't found the right combinations to get it to work.

Anybody know how?

EDIT: Nevermind, I seem to have found a solution.  Not sure why it works, but it does.

Edited by tsar4
  • Like 1

• 5 months later...

Very bizarre day with Excel.  I had a procedure that required copying from one file and pasting into another excel template.  If I copied and pasted, I got exactly what I copied but with the formulas intact, which I didn't want.  If I copied and pasted just the values, I got 2 rows above the copy area and was missing the last two rows of the copy area.  The only work around was to paste with the formulas and then copy that paste and paste again as values.  Tried closing out & going back in, tried rebuilding from scratch, nothing else worked.  28 years of using Excel and I've never seen anything like this.

The two other files that I had to perform the same copy paste thing didn't have a problem.  The template was later used to upload into a separate system, and the values kept getting hosed up by whatever was going on with those last 2 rows.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...