UnevenEdge

PC and Tech Support

Guest The Hound
On 4/17/2018 at 12:38 AM, PhilosipherStoned said:

I've been told that after a while it's a good idea to redo the thermal paste or at least check and make sure you still have a good seal between the processor and the heatsink.. I havent checked mine out since I booted this thing like 2-3 years ago though. 

Something else out there people don't realize is you can remove the heatpipes on a gpu and apply better paste or liquid metal or something of that nature, and also do the same for the cpu.

Delidding the Cpu.

Scary, but it can and will drop your temps by 1-5 degrees if done carefully and properly.

It's explained properly here.

Edited by The Hound

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/17/2018 at 12:38 AM, PhilosipherStoned said:

I've been told that after a while it's a good idea to redo the thermal paste or at least check and make sure you still have a good seal between the processor and the heatsink.. I havent checked mine out since I booted this thing like 2-3 years ago though. 

Unless your temps are so bad that you're bsod, I wouldn't worry about it. If you do mess around with it grizzly thermal is a good paste. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 6/6/2018 at 2:05 PM, SwimModSponges said:

How does the AMD Phenom II X4 965 compare to the AMD FX-4300?

The 4300 is better.  Should be anyway.  More cache, higher frequency and overall more efficient.
Check out the specs on Newegg.

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819113287

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103727

1 hour ago, SwimModSponges said:

Yeah im going to do that here.

Have to update my BIOS to get a new one to work with my motherboard, so that will akso be fun.

just be aware that it might not be that simple of an update and it might cause you some headaches. 

you have to hope your motherboard manufacturer actually supports said upgrade. personally i think it would be much better to get a new motherboard and ram then use everything else you have. though to be honest i haven't really looked too much into this. everything might work good with just a bios update.  

God damnit.

Spoke with a computer-literate individual yesterday, gave him my specs, he said the new one would work if I did the update.

Now you're telling me I might not be able to that.

You know, when the original JPOG came out in 2001, I was the most excited I had ever been- I had dreamed about creating my own Jurassic Park since I was five years old, and now it was in my hands.

But when I installed it, all I saw was a white screen with some light green boxes on it.

Turns out my video card did not work, and I was unable to play it.

Now I'm having flashbacks and am incredibly sad.

1 hour ago, SwimModSponges said:

God damnit.

Spoke with a computer-literate individual yesterday, gave him my specs, he said the new one would work if I did the update.

Now you're telling me I might not be able to that.

You know, when the original JPOG came out in 2001, I was the most excited I had ever been- I had dreamed about creating my own Jurassic Park since I was five years old, and now it was in my hands.

But when I installed it, all I saw was a white screen with some light green boxes on it.

Turns out my video card did not work, and I was unable to play it.

Now I'm having flashbacks and am incredibly sad.

i should be more clear, 

it should work if your motherboard supports the updated bios. sometimes manufacturers dont support this feature sometimes they do. sometimes there might be an unofficial bios mod you can use. 

there will be a few things to look out for, mainly video card and usb comparability. sometimes the newer cards have trouble with the older motherboards. and simple things like usb tend to get really buggy with a different architecture of cpu. thats why i said, the most hassle free way of updating is getting a new motherboard and ram and just use everything else. but you might get lucky and everything could work out perfectly fine. 

i should note that im going from past experience with a different cpu and im not very familiar with these new amd cpus.

7 minutes ago, Distortedreasoning said:

there will be a few things to look out for, mainly video card and usb comparability. sometimes the newer cards have trouble with the older motherboards. and simple things like usb tend to get really buggy with a different architecture of cpu. thats why i said, the most hassle free way of updating is getting a new motherboard and ram and just use everything else. but you might get lucky and everything could work out perfectly fine. 

Wait, do you mean that if I update my BIOS my video card/usbs will go wonky?

Jesus christ, anxiety rising up in here.

Windows 10 just did an update on my computer a few days ago.
Previously, with my screen saver set to Blank, the screen would go dark, about the color of the top bar when you quote someone here.
After the Windows update, without changing any settings, the Blank screen saver is now a very bright grey.

If I open up my background settings, and search for Screen Saver to change the screen saver, the selected option only opens up the folder for the C: drive. Can only access screen saver settings through the link in the Lock Screen tab.
Once I finally get there, I can confirm my screen saver settings are all the same. Previewing the Blank screen saver sets the screen to the original dark. But if the computer is left idle until the Blank screen saver should kick in, it remains the brighter color.

Any idea what Windows broke? And possibly what I might have to break to fix it? Googling was kinda awkward, finding too many results of the "blank screen" variety and not so much anything about screen savers. About all I found was this, and the stupid fuck didn't even follow directions to confirm if it worked.
If that's my solution, is "Uninstall Device" in the Drivers tab what I'm looking for? I updated the drivers on the NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050, Intel HD Graphics 630 says it's up to date, so may need a re-install?

16 hours ago, SwimModSponges said:

Wait, do you mean that if I update my BIOS my video card/usbs will go wonky?

Jesus christ, anxiety rising up in here.

just check and see your motherboard model and see for yourself. usually there might be a support forum somewhere that can answer your question. im really just throwing out things that might happen. im not at all familiar with all the details for your hardware. for all i know you might be good with it. 

8 hours ago, rpgamer said:

Windows 10 just did an update on my computer a few days ago.
Previously, with my screen saver set to Blank, the screen would go dark, about the color of the top bar when you quote someone here.
After the Windows update, without changing any settings, the Blank screen saver is now a very bright grey.

If I open up my background settings, and search for Screen Saver to change the screen saver, the selected option only opens up the folder for the C: drive. Can only access screen saver settings through the link in the Lock Screen tab.
Once I finally get there, I can confirm my screen saver settings are all the same. Previewing the Blank screen saver sets the screen to the original dark. But if the computer is left idle until the Blank screen saver should kick in, it remains the brighter color.

Any idea what Windows broke? And possibly what I might have to break to fix it? Googling was kinda awkward, finding too many results of the "blank screen" variety and not so much anything about screen savers. About all I found was this, and the stupid fuck didn't even follow directions to confirm if it worked.
If that's my solution, is "Uninstall Device" in the Drivers tab what I'm looking for? I updated the drivers on the NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050, Intel HD Graphics 630 says it's up to date, so may need a re-install?

it does seem like the new windows update is fucking shit up. been seeing a lot of that lately. you might be screwed until microsoft fixes it. you could try uninstalling then reinstalling video card drivers for both nvidia and intel. but this time use ddu uninstaller in safe mode. and after you finish uninstalling, install the drivers yourself without letting windows do it for you. it's worth a shot.

23 minutes ago, SwimModSponges said:

MB is Asus M5A97 (AM3r2), which supports the FX 8350 GPU with BIOS 1006 and up- current BIOS is 0901.

GPU is a GTX 1060.

just looked it up, it does seem like you should be good.

looks like this might be the best processor you can drop on your motherboard

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819113284

5 hours ago, Distortedreasoning said:

it does seem like the new windows update is fucking shit up. been seeing a lot of that lately. y

Yeah. I'm discovering this as I continue to use things since the update.

Unrelated issue I may as well bring up. This laptop came with an SSD, with an extra slot for an HDD. Thought to myself, cool, can have my extra storage on demand, instead of using old drives as external storage.
Problem, when the drive is plugged in, it randomly spins up for apparently no reason. Even after formatting the drive, with nothing stored on it, just spins itself up without rhyme or reason. I can change my settings to turn off the hard disk after 1 minute of inactivity, but can't seem to figure out how to just keep it off until manually accessed. Running task manager and watching to see any changes when it spins, I couldn't really identify anything specific. Googling around, found plenty of instances of similar problems, but couldn't seem to find a definitive solution with my limited knowledge.

This was all well before this update, and I long since just removed the HDD again to keep it from needless wear and the annoying whir. But I'd still love to figure out how to get it to play nice.

4 minutes ago, rpgamer said:

Yeah. I'm discovering this as I continue to use things since the update.

Unrelated issue I may as well bring up. This laptop came with an SSD, with an extra slot for an HDD. Thought to myself, cool, can have my extra storage on demand, instead of using old drives as external storage.
Problem, when the drive is plugged in, it randomly spins up for apparently no reason. Even after formatting the drive, with nothing stored on it, just spins itself up without rhyme or reason. I can change my settings to turn off the hard disk after 1 minute of inactivity, but can't seem to figure out how to just keep it off until manually accessed. Running task manager and watching to see any changes when it spins, I couldn't really identify anything specific. Googling around, found plenty of instances of similar problems, but couldn't seem to find a definitive solution with my limited knowledge.

This was all well before this update, and I long since just removed the HDD again to keep it from needless wear and the annoying whir. But I'd still love to figure out how to get it to play nice.

not much you can do to troubleshoot here.

there is a chance the hard drive might have been faulty for some time now but theres only a few ways of troubleshooting. 

easiest thing is to just get a new hard drive and see if it does the same thing. if it does then it was a faulty hard drive. but if you still have the same issues then the problem is with your motherboard. most likely it could be a wrong bios settings or a wrong bios version. either way you have to get the latest updates. check your laptops manufacturers website. they should have the drivers you need.

if that dont fix it then you pretty much are screwed. 

Hm. Maybe a mb issue. Seems otherwise functional enough. Most of the google results made it sound like it was probably some background program scanning through drives periodically or something. But I should probably try with the other drive I have just to see. Kinda just keep cannibalizing these from old laptops when they give up the ghost.

Guest The Hound
On 6/8/2018 at 2:11 PM, Distortedreasoning said:

update your cpu sponges.

that shit is old af and will get curb stomped by all the entry level quad cores and even dual cores. 

I still run a i7 920 at 4.5ghz ocd 🤣🤣🤣 24gb ram and a 1060 ssc

Upgrading is for sukkas

1 minute ago, The Hound said:

I still run a i7 920 at 4.5ghz ocd 🤣🤣🤣 24gb ram and a 1060 ssc

Upgrading is for sukkas

no way you could get that cpu that high! just no way. first gen i7's oc at around 3.6 to 4.0 at best. i know because i could only get mine to oc to 3.6 and have the system be stable. you go above that and it starts to get too hot even with a good fan. i had it for 5-6 years before i had to sell my system. so i know the cpu quite well. 

his cpu was weak though. i believe the phenom x4 in general were slower than the first gen i7. $80 for a nice cpu upgrade isnt that bad either. those fx8350 are much better than the phenoms x4. 

Guest The Hound

When i get home ill screenie

Having gold chips make things crazy. Ive had so many issues with it over the years, at least the hardware its been hosting. It however  remained strong. Im finally  seeing it break apart on me i think. I sometimes cant run that clock without wierd nobsod restarts. Atm its at 3.8 to 4.1. I might even have an old cpu validation on it. @KN can vouch. I think ive shown him.

Edited by The Hound

5 minutes ago, The Hound said:

When i get home ill screenie

Having gold chips make things crazy. Ive had so many issues with it over the years, at least the hardware its been hosting. It however  remained strong. Im finally  seeing it break apart on me i think. I sometimes cant run that clock without wierd nobsod restarts. Atm its at 3.8 to 4.1. I might even have an old cpu validation on it. @KN can vouch. I think ive shown him.

these cpus turn 10 years old in november so yeah its no surprise they are breaking down after running at an extremely high oc. 

i remember seeing people only getting around 3.8 to 4.2 on water with these babies. after a certain point you have to up the vcore so high that cooling becomes a problem. i think even on suicide runs i saw people only going maybe as high as 4.5? its been a while. 

Guest The Hound

Mines on water. When it was at 4.5 for a year, it ran at 87 max.

Look up the luck that is a gold chip.

Edited by The Hound

On 6/9/2018 at 1:26 PM, Distortedreasoning said:

just looked it up, it does seem like you should be good.

looks like this might be the best processor you can drop on your motherboard

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819113284

Holy crap.   That's so cheap now.  
I remember my 6300  being more than that.

I have an 8350 that I still need to put in my brothers computer.  Somebody gave it to me but I've upgraded since then so he's getting my old stuff.

2 hours ago, Sieg67 said:

Holy crap.   That's so cheap now.  
I remember my 6300  being more than that.

I have an 8350 that I still need to put in my brothers computer.  Somebody gave it to me but I've upgraded since then so he's getting my old stuff.

this thing came out like 5 years ago on the 32nm manufacturing process. we are at the 10nm level and about to get into 7nm in the near future. so manufacturing of those old chips is probably super cheap at this point. but that chip should hold up sponges just a bit longer till he upgrades his pc. 

• 2 weeks later...

Oh for fucks sake. Evidently my waiting until this weekend to rollback this shitty windows update has disabled the option to do so. I'd have to completely reset everything. Re-install my shit. Fuck you windows.

There's no real support question here. Just wanted to vent. I could move things around to external drives and everything, but at this point I can't be bothered.

The most frustrating part of all of this is I have automatic updates off to avoid issues just like this. But apparently there are still some things windows decides to force on users. I did not consent. Quit raping my computer.

10 days bullshit.

It just pushed the April 2018 update on me a couple weeks ago. Prompt came up as I was about to head to bed, "updates are ready to install." Me: "What updates I didn't tell you to update shit." Knew that if I just hit "Remind me later" it would come up again while I was sleeping, so I just let it restart and do its thing. Which, again, I never wanted in the first place.

But done is done. The inconvenience of going to the trouble to make reverting possible far outweighs the inconveniences that the update has created.

Guest VegetaFajita

New update might have silently  killed some issues  people were having with windows' recent baked in antiviral stuff. Cpu usage has been higher than normal over  the last year and a half since... w.e.thing it was that got everyone all worked up. 

The typcial culprit windows components that id see jump into the 10s in cpu u percentage  every few minutes  have stopped. Like theme services and network shit.

And i got 3 frames extra in pubg, so something def happened😂

Edited by VegetaFajita

• 2 months later...

Anyone happen to know their way around mymathlab program? >__>

One of the questions is asking me to graph a problem, there is a pop up that says if you click on the graph the graphing tools will pop up. I tried that and nothing happened. I see on youtube if you click on enlarging graph it might pop up, I tried that and it didn't happen. I then tried switching browsers from chrome to microsoft edge and nothing happened. There is nothing about it not working in mymathlab because I guess they just assume their program works perfectly. Uggghhh I emailed the teacher about it. Thinking of emailing mymathlab team next.

1 hour ago, jackiemarie90 said:

Anyone happen to know their way around mymathlab program? >__>

One of the questions is asking me to graph a problem, there is a pop up that says if you click on the graph the graphing tools will pop up. I tried that and nothing happened. I see on youtube if you click on enlarging graph it might pop up, I tried that and it didn't happen. I then tried switching browsers from chrome to microsoft edge and nothing happened. There is nothing about it not working in mymathlab because I guess they just assume their program works perfectly. Uggghhh I emailed the teacher about it. Thinking of emailing mymathlab team next.

I figured it out after talking to their customer support. There prompts were backwards but now know how to use it.