UnevenEdge

what weird shit do you eat?

nameraka

14 minutes ago, lesans_muse said:

Liver mush

What in the world made you buy that the first time?

The only weird thing I eat is maybe raw quail eggs or sashimi. If I had the money Id try different fish every day. One of my favorite treats is salmon roe.

I live in the area in which it's produced. (and primarily consumed)

One of my coworkers had a liver mush sandwich for breakfast one day, and it just smelled really good...

He also used to put sugar on his rice, though, so maybe he wasn't exactly the gold standard for culinary taste...

salmon roe is quite tasty. I used to eat sushi and sashimi quite a bit, but we moved across town from my favorite sushi joint. 🙁

Edited by nameraka
  • Like 1

Back when I was around 7 years or so old I ate an earthworm.

Like, for literally no good reason I decided I wanted to eat one. I think it was because one of the cartoons I watched when I was a kid (maybe Rugrats?) had the kids in it eating them, so I wanted to do it. I told my grandpa that I wanted to eat a worm, and he just took me out back with a shovel and dug one up and said here you go. I washed it off first obviously, also I didn't chew it, just swallowed it whole...

And then there's a friend of mine who some time earlier this year ate a tree grub for $100. He works for the park district here in our town, and they were taking care of a tree that was cut down, and a boss/supervisor/someguy offered him the money to eat one, and my friend did it, apparently he watches Survivor all the time so was mentally prepared to do so.

• Haha 2

When I get the chance, I love to eat beef heart. If you've never had it, I wholly recommend it especially when grilled or stewed.

Another thing I love is frog legs, but I consider that a treat that I wouldn't eat very often. It's like steak--it's nice to have once in a while, and I don't want to spoil myself on it.

2 minutes ago, Fortnite Guy Keanu Reeves said:

Back when I was around 7 years or so old I ate an earthworm.

Like, for literally no good reason I decided I wanted to eat one. I think it was because one of the cartoons I watched when I was a kid (maybe Rugrats?) had the kids in it eating them, so I wanted to do it. I told my grandpa that I wanted to eat a worm, and he just took me out back with a shovel and dug one up and said here you go. I washed it off first obviously, also I didn't chew it, just swallowed it whole...

I was hoping this would turn into a "now I eat worms everyday" kind of story 😂

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, lesans_muse said:

Ah that makes sense 😂

I dont think Ive ever had liver in any form, but now Im gonna look for liver paste/mush to try.  Doesnt hurt to add new foods into the repertoire.

Whats your favorite sashimi?

I used to be a big fan of tako (octopus) and uni (urchin).

I especially like the texture of octopus, which I know some people find off-putting. 

color me weird I guess. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Gyaos said:

When I get the chance, I love to eat beef heart. If you've never had it, I wholly recommend it especially when grilled or stewed.

Another thing I love is frog legs, but I consider that a treat that I wouldn't eat very often. It's like steak--it's nice to have once in a while, and I don't want to spoil myself on it.

I've never eaten heart, but I wouldn't be averse to trying it. I'll try just about anything once. 

I have had frog legs on a number of occasions. I know it's a bit of a cliche, but they really do kinda taste like chicken. at least to me.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, nameraka said:

I've never eaten heart, but I wouldn't be averse to trying it. I'll try just about anything once. 

I have had frog legs on a number of occasions. I know it's a bit of a cliche, but they really do kinda taste like chicken. at least to me.

I agree with the part about them tasting like chicken. It's the closest substitute I have to actual chicken meat, as I am allergic to poultry.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, nameraka said:

this makes me unbearably sad...

I have a friend with a peanut allergy who could die if exposed to so much as peanut dust. She's had seizures before because of it. I only get sick if I eat poultry. I have to see things in a positive light.

I can live without eating animals that have feathers. I love beef and pork anyway.

Edited by Gyaos
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, nameraka said:

I used to be a big fan of tako (octopus) and uni (urchin).

I especially like the texture of octopus, which I know some people find off-putting. 

color me weird I guess. 

AH!  I LOVE TAKO!!!  I cant believe I didnt think to put that.  Its so fucking good.

Uni though - it could of just been the place but it tasted like a horse smells.

Edited by lesans_muse
  • Haha 1

25 minutes ago, GunStarHero said:

Two things I thought I'd hate but wound up loving are eel and cow tongue. 

BBQ eel is my all time favorite food and cow tongue tacos are amazing when done correctly. 

One of my friends loves cow tongue but every time I have it, I just imagine a live cow trying to shove its tongue down my throat and I just immediately swallow the bite whole XD

3 hours ago, Vamped said:

One of my friends loves cow tongue but every time I have it, I just imagine a live cow trying to shove its tongue down my throat and I just immediately swallow the bite whole XD

I was more or less the same; always imagined a cow gingerly licking my tongue and would lose my appetite immediately. 

• Haha 1

These massive rice crackers:

316nxfkowwL.jpg

I've also been dipping into the smaller rice crackers as well. I usually only go for the Trader Joes one since they have a salt & vinegar chip or one from an Asian market like this:

91wQStgooPL._SY355SX266_SY355_CR,0,0,266

I recently got a honey flavored rice cracker mix from a different brand, but it's been miserable. 

On 1/1/2020 at 10:05 AM, TrigunBebop said:

Pickled eggs (beet or jalapeno)

Ham, cheese, dill pickle, and Tabasco or Sriracha on a cracker

I also mix tartar sauce with ketchup when I eat fish

Do you only buy a particular brand of pickled eggs or try different ones?

Ive been curious to try them.

On 1/7/2020 at 7:23 AM, GaiusIuliusCaesar said:

probably Kimchi (korean fermented cabbage) ,spam (super big in a lot of east asian cooking), and  tripe, (we italians love our boiled cow stomach)

The first time I ate spam and actually enjoyed it was when I had okonomiyaki. A chef from Tokyo was out here for an event and was doing some at a Japanese culture festival. Shit was soooooo good. I was just going to get the fried squid legs but I figured I'd try the okonomiyaki and I was hooked right away. 

38 minutes ago, GunStarHero said:

The first time I ate spam and actually enjoyed it was when I had okonomiyaki. A chef from Tokyo was out here for an event and was doing some at a Japanese culture festival. Shit was soooooo good. I was just going to get the fried squid legs but I figured I'd try the okonomiyaki and I was hooked right away. 

Whaaaat okonomiyaki with spam?!! I would try that.

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/27/2019 at 7:27 PM, nameraka said:

I go through a package of this stuff a week.

liver-mush-720x405.png

Finished product resembles this application:

livermushSandwich__91339.1556763404.jpg?

The weird part isn't that I'm basically eating liver and pork face pate; it's that I slather it in wasabi sauce...

They spelt scrapple wrong.

• Like 2

• 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Sardines and smoked oysters all the goddamn time.

Sardines for the fish oil and protein.

Oysters also for protein, but mainly because they're loaded with iron and vitamin B12, along with some other trace nutrients like zinc and copper. Ever since I cut beef and refined grains out of my diet I've had a hard time getting enough iron so when I learned about oysters I was on board. They're great, not even joking.

Edited by empty
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, empty said:

Sardines and smoked oysters all the goddamn time.

Sardines for the fish oil and protein.

Oysters also for protein, but mainly because they're loaded with iron and vitamin B12, along with some other trace nutrients like zinc and copper. Ever since I cut beef and refined grains out of my diet I've had a hard time getting enough iron so when I learned about oysters I was on board. They're great, not even joking.

You can get a lot of iron from greens and legumes, too.

• 9 months later...

20210613_045906.thumb.jpg.8d07da64b0c67833d4b48e8d0704e2b2.jpg

Legit just had homemade maple sesame ginger shoyu smoked salmon French -style savory ice cream on sushi rice with beet root in a green tea, bonito, sake, and lime stock topped with monk fish roe and garnished with a bruleed ginger lime. It's 'weird' but defintely Delicous and does not have trhat oceanic funk

• 1 month later...
On 12/27/2019 at 7:27 PM, nameraka said:

I go through a package of this stuff a week.

liver-mush-720x405.png

Finished product resembles this application:

livermushSandwich__91339.1556763404.jpg?

The weird part isn't that I'm basically eating liver and pork face pate; it's that I slather it in wasabi sauce...

I live in Delaware and we have something very similar: Scrapple. Instead of merely the liver, jowls, and rind, scrapple is made with the whole pig minus the oink. It's great with eggs and/or rice.

I went to my aunt's house in northeastern Maryland in 2019. She has free-range chickens. My uncle, cousins, and I fed the chickens mealyworms. I had a small handful of those before feeding the rest to the chickens. They were GOOD. Better than you'd think.

More people should eat bugs. If you've ever eaten crabs, lobster, shrimp, or crawdads, then you've eaten bugs. They're all arthropods. Bugs taste good and are good for you. They require way less land and food to raise than conventional livestock. And because they're so genetically distinct from us, their diseases can't affect us. Hell, ever since I was a kid, I've wanted to try fried termites, cockroaches, beetles, and cicadas.