UnevenEdge

Mass Shootings - The Discussion 4ever

Sawdamizer

1 minute ago, scoobdog said:

More importantly, attempting to control gun ownership isn't an indictment on guns, it's an acknowledgement that people can't be trusted to use guns properly. Any such incident is a reminder that when guns are out there, there remains the spectre of someone using them for their own selfish and destructive purposes.

Nigeria has a history of religion inspired massacres usually by groups like Boku Haram. No one has claimed responsibility for this yet but the notion that Nigeria wouldn’t know about massacres here is, idk what to say, we know about what happens there when it’s something of horrific magnitude but they wouldn’t know about that happening here is, just, like I said no words. 

In any case it’s more of the world has a collective consciousness and large parts of the world seem to go bat shit at the same time, in addition to guns absolutely being a huge problem wherever they are. 

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, scoobdog said:

More importantly, attempting to control gun ownership isn't an indictment on guns, it's an acknowledgement that people can't be trusted to use guns properly. Any such incident is a reminder that when guns are out there, there remains the spectre of someone using them for their own selfish and destructive purposes.

This statement really doesn't have much to do with the situation in Nigeria or many other places. These aren't private citizens with guns, these are organized militants waging a civil war. Their arms aren't single weapons bought at gun stores, they buy them in bulk from international suppliers or seize government caches at police stations or overwhelmed military complexes. The gun law discussion doesn't apply because this situation exists outside of everyday citizenry and is instead between two regions that want to eliminate the other. North and South Nigeria are essentially two different countries fighting for control of the best land that's between them. The official state Nigerian military itself is behind many of the massacres that taken place. 

Bringing the Nigerian thing in is like pitching a football at a baseball game.

48 minutes ago, ZoomBubba said:

This statement really doesn't have much to do with the situation in Nigeria or many other places. These aren't private citizens with guns, these are organized militants waging a civil war. Their arms aren't single weapons bought at gun stores, they buy them in bulk from international suppliers or seize government caches at police stations or overwhelmed military complexes. The gun law discussion doesn't apply because this situation exists outside of everyday citizenry and is instead between two regions that want to eliminate the other. North and South Nigeria are essentially two different countries fighting for control of the best land that's between them. The official state Nigerian military itself is behind many of the massacres that taken place. 

Bringing the Nigerian thing in is like pitching a football at a baseball game.

Terrorists are by definition "private citizens", so yes it does have everything to do with the situation in Nigeria.

Militias are not organized military units, they're loosely organized, are not state sanctioned, and have a far less rigid chain of command. You might have noticed, but we have those here too and they are equipped with.... the exact same weapons the school shooters use which.... is the same exact frame as the M-16 rifle and the basis for the modern rifles our current military uses.  Furthermore, while illegal, those same weapons can be easily modified to handle select fire or fully automatic firing.

The only difference is that here we have decentralized paramilitary police forces.

Edited by scoobdog

38 minutes ago, scoobdog said:

Terrorists are by definition "private citizens", so yes it does have everything to do with the situation in Nigeria.

Nothing you said ties the violence in the US to Nigeria. Where is the evidence that Nigerian terrorists and partisans are following an "American" example.

The whole chain of responses started with Pooh claiming that the Nigerian violence was somehow tied to American violence, which it is definitely not. 

I wouldn't count terrorists supported by international groups as "private citizens." This is particularly true when you take into account that Boko Haram actually controls territory within Nigeria. When you launch an organized war against the citizens and government of a country and take control of territory, does that still fall under the umbrella of a regular "private citizen," especially when you take into account ties to other international terrorism groups?

Edited by ZoomBubba

59 minutes ago, ZoomBubba said:

Nothing you said ties the violence in the US to Nigeria. Where is the evidence that Nigerian terrorists and partisans are following an "American" example.

The whole chain of responses started with Pooh claiming that the Nigerian violence was somehow tied to American violence, which it is definitely not. 

I wouldn't count terrorists supported by international groups as "private citizens." This is particularly true when you take into account that Boko Haram actually controls territory within Nigeria. When you launch an organized war against the citizens and government of a country and take control of territory, does that still fall under the umbrella of a regular "private citizen," especially when you take into account ties to other international terrorism groups?

No one is suggesting that they’re following our example or even that human propensity for violence is uniquely American.  That particular framework is uniquely yours and a straw man to Pooh’s argument.

The only suggestion that access to weapons leads to them being used in this way.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, scoobdog said:

No one is suggesting that they’re following our example or even that human propensity for violence is uniquely American.  That particular framework is uniquely yours and a straw man to Pooh’s argument.

The only suggestion that access to weapons leads to them being used in this way.

But I’m also suggesting something not literal, or tangible, which is why I used the cancer example, zoombubba repeating “but there’s no connection between the US and Nigeria”  repeatedly, even after me explaining the connection doesn’t have to be direct or literal, is just him wanting to hear wtf it is he wants to hear and has no point 

• Thanks 2

1 minute ago, 1pooh4u said:

But I’m also suggesting something not literal, or tangible, which is why I used the cancer example, zoombubba repeating “but there’s no connection between the US and Nigeria”  repeatedly, even after me explaining the connection doesn’t have to be direct or literal, is just him wanting to hear wtf it is he wants to hear and has no point 

I’m willing to ass ume  that he thought he saw something in your post you just didn’t say.  I can’t tell you how many long winded pontifications I had to erase after I stopped and reread the post and realized I was arguing against a point that no one made.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, 1pooh4u said:

I don’t even think the article was posted as an implication of direct involvement in any way, but rather to show how mindsets, or acts spread around the globe. 

And those mindsets are often at least partly  intrinsic to human behavior.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, PenguinBoss said:

So, uh, I just posted it because the OP doesn't explicitly say it's for American mass shootings. It made sense to me to post it here instead of a new thread.

You sure you weren’t saying the US is directly to blame, because there’s no link, or so I’ve been told. Repeatedly. 💩

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, André Toulon said:

Yes, we've established that this is the police administration.,...we did that before we voted.

Yep, all the Democrats have done for the last two years is try to out-cop the right wing. As if anybody gains anything, themselves included, for trying to out-Law And Order the Republicans, it's fucking disgusting. 

https://www.fox2detroit.com/news/uvalde-texas-shooting-father-eliahna-cruz-torres-funeral-kim-kardashian-plea

Torres’ father, 46-year-old Eli Torres, is incarcerated at McCreary United States Penitentiary, a federal prison in Kentucky, according to the Lexington Herald-Leader. Online prison records show that Torres was convicted of drug trafficking and conspiracy in 2013 in Del Rio, Texas, and is due to be released in February 2023. 

Eliahna Torres’ family scheduled her funeral for Thursday at 11 a.m. local time. Eli Torres sought to have a compassionate release to attend the funeral, which was denied, according to Univision San Antonio reporter Lidia Terrazas.

Kentucky state Rep. Attica Scott then sent a letter to both President Joe Biden and Kentucky Gov. Andy Beshear asking for their help.

"Her family is desperately seeking a way to ensure that her father gets an opportunity to attend his daughter’s memorial ceremonies," Scott wrote in the letter. "They further said that Eliahna and her father were only one week away from having physical contact with each other before the shooting took place."

In a last-minute effort on the morning of Eliahna Torres’ funeral, Kim Kardashian posted about the Torres family’s situation and similarly asked the Federal Bureau of Prisons to grant Eli Torres’ temporary release. In recent years, Kardashian has become a notable advocate for criminal justice reform.

Totally irredeemable ghouls that make up this administration. 

Mitch McConnell demands immediate action because someone maybe was going to kill Kavanaugh with a gun. Well, I’m sorry Mitch. There’s nothing we can do. Justices feeling threatened is just the price we must pay for freedom. 

Seriously, fuck him. 

• Like 6

Here goes this pantload....

Everybody has an opinion I guess, but no era more than the 80 and 90 was filled gun toting problem solvers...

I'm willing to admit it MAY be a factor, but I'm just not a fan of people looking for other avenues of blame other than this broken ass system of fire arms acquisition.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/thehill.com/news/media/3519914-maher-slams-hollywood-for-unbridled-romanticization-of-gun-violence-following-shootings/amp/#scso=_lMekYpbTNbykqtsP0qaMYA72:951

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, André Toulon said:

Here goes this pantload....

Everybody has an opinion I guess, but no era more than the 80 and 90 was filled gun toting problem solvers...

I'm willing to admit it MAY be a factor, but I'm just not a fan of people looking for other avenues of blame other than this broken ass system of fire arms acquisition.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/thehill.com/news/media/3519914-maher-slams-hollywood-for-unbridled-romanticization-of-gun-violence-following-shootings/amp/#scso=_lMekYpbTNbykqtsP0qaMYA72:951

He’s got a point. Idk what Hollywood is gonna do about it though, maybe make movies with excessive gun use rated R?  Our rating system focuses on language and sex, more than violence, in other countries violence is the main factor in rating movies, but idk what difference that makes, if any.  

• Like 1

People have been bitching about "violent video games" causing crime since the early 90s. Who knows how many studies have shown absolutely no correlation between them. It's just a bullshit easy excuse for people to ignore dealing with the much more complicated underlying societal issues.

49 minutes ago, 1pooh4u said:

He’s got a point. Idk what Hollywood is gonna do about it though, maybe make movies with excessive gun use rated R?  Our rating system focuses on language and sex, more than violence, in other countries violence is the main factor in rating movies, but idk what difference that makes, if any.  

Maher never has a point because he is a fucking piece of shit.

• Like 1

The only thing that’s going to help with gun violence is national gun restrictions but Maher has a point, Hollywood romanticizes gun violence and certain character traits in general. Most people have a decent grip on reality and can separate fantasy from reality, so I’m not a fan of curbing gun violence in film while doing absolutely Jack shit about the real problems. 
video games get slapped with the MA labels pretty frequently though so supposedly you gotta be 16 or 17 wtf it is to buy them.  

• Like 1

I was going to bypass this one because it's getting fucking old but since someone else has died, and the suspect is in custody, why is he being protected....there is no reason to not immediately acknowledge this guy as the shooter. 

At a literal "Boomer" potluck....(that's what they called it) I want a motive....I have to assume this dude is elderly too. Was this a crime of passion, was it over church politics, or was dude just unhinged..

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.cnn.com/cnn/2022/06/17/us/alabama-church-shooting-friday/index.html

3 hours ago, André Toulon said:

I was going to bypass this one because it's getting fucking old but since someone else has died, and the suspect is in custody, why is he being protected....there is no reason to not immediately acknowledge this guy as the shooter. 

Uh... What? 

Screenshot_20220617-211336-312.png.b8fc8a79c850ad1a7c2ed66a85ba2aa2.png

...how is he being protected?

when I was discharged, they said I now can't own a gun for five years since I was involuntarily admitted to a psychiatric hospital

I'm not sure if they just meant in california or nationally since I lost the paper that had the details. I'm waiting on getting a copy emailed to me.

Kinda funny since had I had a gun with me at the time, I probably wouldn't have lost the papers and my things in the first place.

It just doesn't seem right that they can just make me a felon for having a gun after feeling sad one day.

How the fuck am I supposed to defend myself

• Sad 1

3 hours ago, Nablonsky said:

Uh... What? 

Screenshot_20220617-211336-312.png.b8fc8a79c850ad1a7c2ed66a85ba2aa2.png

...how is he being protected?

Cool, who is he?

Oh...I see....You only read the article i linked....I've been following this since yesterday and police refuse to release the shooter's name. He's BEEN in custody but it just seems like there's some things being left out.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, cyberbully said:

Cool, who is he?

Oh...I see....You only read the article i linked....I've been following this since yesterday and police refuse to release the shooter's name. He's BEEN in custody but it just seems like there's some things being left out.

Screenshot_20220618-035512-549.thumb.png.3e42389a0ceada82fc81b05ec5939802.png

Again. . . What?

Well, since Bad Faith Evans won't answer me, no it wasn't, in fact it seems the news dropped right about the same time I made that post....There was one that said 18 hours ago but after looking, it had been edited to include that info at almost 5pm....Which was well after my post.

So once again, fuck off with your bullshit, nabs because your intrusion was never to discuss the gun violence......Just a sad and woeful attempt at getting an own....You're not good at that....You should stop.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, cyberbully said:

was that up 10 hours ago when I made the post.

was it....nabs?

The mugshot was up there, can't swear it had the guys name but I saw that beat up face. Just not sure what sort of conspiracy you were even insinuating about, honestly. 

2 minutes ago, Nablonsky said:

The mugshot was up there, can't swear it had the guys name but I saw that beat up face. Just not sure what sort of conspiracy you were even insinuating about, honestly. 

What conspiracy, i literally said i wanted to know who he was and why he shot up the place, was he fucking the first lady or what.

You are trying way too hard and while i know you like self degradation, you're just ruining an adult conversation with your pussy shit

• Like 1

1 minute ago, cyberbully said:

What conspiracy

15 hours ago, André Toulon said:

I was going to bypass this one because it's getting fucking old but since someone else has died, and the suspect is in custody, why is he being protected....

12 hours ago, Nablonsky said:

..how is he being protected?

8 hours ago, cyberbully said:

linked....I've been following this since yesterday and police refuse to release the shooter's name. He's BEEN in custody but it just seems like there's some things being left out.

Idk you were talking about him being "protected" and the police "refusing" to release his name within, what, less than 24 hours of the shooting like something strange was going on. Don't throw a fit, I was jw where you were going with this protection angle

1 minute ago, Nablonsky said:

Idk you were talking about him being "protected" and the police "refusing" to release his name within, what, less than 24 hours of the shooting like something strange was going on. Don't throw a fit, I was jw where you were going with this protection angle

This is beyind fucking stupid, youre literally creating an alternate reality because you really wanted my post to mean something else. 

Now fuck off before i have you spliced out, tumor

• Sad 1

3 hours ago, Nablonsky said:

I clicked it at the same time as you and saw the dude's mugshot with his name, so I was wondering the same thing.  If you look at the top just beneath the byline, an update was made within minutes of Buddy's post.  I figured all of that was added right after Buddy posted the link.   Seems odd that it took nearly a day for the info to be available , though:  usually a suspect in a mass murder is identified the same day, particularly when he's subdued by civilians at the scene.

3 hours ago, cyberbully said:

This is beyind fucking stupid, youre literally creating an alternate reality because you really wanted my post to mean something else. 

Now fuck off before i have you spliced out, tumor

I mean, this is how nabs acts with every post he responds to.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, 1pooh4u said:

Weird that they’d still post here and question Stilgar about a behavior as though they seen it constantly so wtf knows 

It's weird because it's the same thing meddings did....these people who pretend to be new but are fully versed in stilgar lore. 

But it's whatever with me....I might be getting some shrooms tonight and I'm about to be groovy af

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, André Toulon said:

It's weird because it's the same thing meddings did....these people who pretend to be new but are fully versed in stilgar lore. 

But it's whatever with me....I might be getting some shrooms tonight and I'm about to be groovy af

I forgot about medding.  Shame because now I’m questioning the credibility of all the shit that’s happened here. Maybe it’s not the nurse. Maybe it was the nurse originally but then whoever  had the info gave the account to someone else? Idrgaf it’s just weird. 

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, 1pooh4u said:

I forgot about medding.  Shame because now I’m questioning the credibility of all the shit that’s happened here. Maybe it’s not the nurse. Maybe it was the nurse originally but then whoever  had the info gave the account to someone else? Idrgaf it’s just weird. 

Meh, I'm no longer invested, I got my package and just awaiting blast off.

1 hour ago, 1pooh4u said:

Weird that they’d still post here and question Stilgar about a behavior as though they seen it constantly so wtf knows 

Well to be fair if they've been around for a couple weeks they've probably seen him do it a few hundred times by now.

• Haha 1