UnevenEdge

Mass Shootings - The Discussion 4ever

Sawdamizer

Eh I support the 2nd amendment. Guns aren’t new and they’re very low tech. Didn’t the one mass shooter in recent memory make his own gun from scratch? Very soon, a $500 printer will be able to print off perfectly cloned ARs on demand. What then?

Really we just need to take security of the schools seriously. It’s always like one rent a cop(at my school our cop was always drunk and pilled up), maybe a buzzer on the front door, and the other doors are supposed to be locked during the day but they never are. That’s not a serious attempt.

If we actually had comprehensive security solutions custom designed for each school on a case by case basis based on the buildings/layout, then a school wouldn’t be the go to place to shoot up. But it is bc we have these big buildings where we just leave hundreds of kids without their parents and like a few dozen adults, if that, to watch over them.

4 hours ago, 1pooh4u said:

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

see, the commas indicate a pause within a continuous thought. The people didn’t literally reference all the people. How do we know this?  Because the time the second Amendment was written a lot of people were excluded from these rights.  The people refers to the state not the individual. This was well known until the 1900s, actually the mid to late 1900s, when the NRA got taken over by ammosexuals that campaigned to change the intent of the amendment.   It went from people being the state to just being people in the literal sense. Past texts written by the framers be damned. 

Conservatives:

"The government is too big."

"Also, we need an army present at kindergarten."

Edited by naraku360
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, Poof said:

Eh I support the 2nd amendment. Guns aren’t new and they’re very low tech. Didn’t the one mass shooter in recent memory make his own gun from scratch? Very soon, a $500 printer will be able to print off perfectly cloned ARs on demand. What then?

Really we just need to take security of the schools seriously. It’s always like one rent a cop(at my school our cop was always drunk and pilled up), maybe a buzzer on the front door, and the other doors are supposed to be locked during the day but they never are. That’s not a serious attempt.

If we actually had comprehensive security solutions custom designed for each school on a case by case basis based on the buildings/layout, then a school wouldn’t be the go to place to shoot up. But it is bc we have these big buildings where we just leave hundreds of kids without their parents and like a few dozen adults, if that, to watch over them.

I do not support the 2A as it is currently interpreted.  The ability to be able to easily print guns now, or in the future shouldn’t impact the banning of guns like the ar15. The right to bear arms doesn’t mean we have the right to any weapon we want. What’s next?  Bezos, Zuck and Musk decide to purchase a nuclear weapon?  We should all be at the mercy of any random lunatic?  Ar 15 type weapons aren’t even the deadliest problem. I live in a part of the country where gun deaths by handgun is very common. Everyday is a story about an innocent child, or adult  gunned down by a stray bullet.   Most of those guns are obtained illegally unlike the ar 15 types of weapons that take out dozens at once. 

as for more security in schools?  Idk, seems there are a lot of stories where that does not bode well for the kids because instead of focusing on outside threats, they treat the kids as the threat.  If schools can be made more secure without adding more cops, or ex military in the schools that would be great. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, naraku360 said:

Conservatives:

"The government is too big."

"Also, we need an army present at kindergarten."

Why not? We secure plenty of other places with armed guards and the kids are being shot. How can you say you’re serious about stopping this if your solution includes 0-1 people guarding hundreds and hundreds of children? The data says gun control reduces mass shootings not eliminates them, so they’ll still happen. Why cling to this fantasy that a school should be able to operate safely without security when it’s just not happening? Better security would address the problem now, not some theoretical time in the future when we can finally agree on what gun control should be.

4 hours ago, Poof said:

"School shootings are literally impossible to avoid, so let's do everything except gun control."

• Like 3

Armed guards is a problem. All it takes is one having a bad day and he snaps or the more likely scenario where we waste money on a dude making less than an actual officer and expect him to take a bullet for some kids he doesn't give a fuck about.

No one needs a fucking AR, that's the solution. 

Just gonna have to embrace that Lil dick energy because doling it out in hollow points isn't working for anyone.

OR, wait until someone shoots up elderly white law makers.....no amount of dead kids of any ethnicity is going to shake that demographic 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, 1pooh4u said:

I do not support the 2A as it is currently interpreted.  The ability to be able to easily print guns now, or in the future shouldn’t impact the banning of guns like the ar15. The right to bear arms doesn’t mean we have the right to any weapon we want. What’s next?  Bezos, Zuck and Musk decide to purchase a nuclear weapon?  We should all be at the mercy of any random lunatic?  Ar 15 type weapons aren’t even the deadliest problem. I live in a part of the country where gun deaths by handgun is very common. Everyday is a story about an innocent child, or adult  gunned down by a stray bullet.   Most of those guns are obtained illegally unlike the ar 15 types of weapons that take out dozens at once. 

as for more security in schools?  Idk, seems there are a lot of stories where that does not bode well for the kids because instead of focusing on outside threats, they treat the kids as the threat.  If schools can be made more secure without adding more cops, or ex military in the schools that would be great. 

They can be made more secure without adding more cops, but I think you should do both.

The government lets private companies build nuclear power plants which are more than capable of being used as a weapon of mass destruction by sabotaging it. And if it’s your plant, it probably wouldn’t be all that hard to pull off. Scary.

Personally I wouldn’t mind owning a couple phalanx CIWS

11 minutes ago, naraku360 said:

Name another country that does need to do it.

We’re a very very violent culture imo which makes it apples to oranges. Some countries have high gun ownership without proportional gun violence. 

12 minutes ago, GuyBeardmane said:

Whether they’re private or cops, they shouldn’t have jurisdiction over anything but shooting sprees. They should be as sequestered from the day to day as possible without sacrificing a rapid response.

believe me, I was driven to Saturday detentions in the back of the school cop car several times. I know personally that kind of thing is a real problem-created-by-the-solution

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, stilgar said:

At that point it is too fucking late. Because cops and guards aren't gonna do shit to stop it from happening.

They’re just a piece of the puzzle to “comprehensive security solution.” I know saying that we actually have to do work to secure these buildings isn’t cool, trendy, or simple. But I sincerely believe that’s the way. 

22 minutes ago, naraku360 said:

Name another country that does need to do it.

I've been mulling over this response from that reporter for a little bit now, and it's delicious how effective it is at shredding so many arguments. "Why only in America?"

All the elements exist everywhere else. Everywhere has schools, every school has bullies and creeps and losers. Everywhere has every other excuse, mental health issues, violent video games/media, etc. If "bad guys could still get guns anyway" were a viable argument, why don't they? We oughtta see some correlation in the data from other countries. Is it an admission that "bad guys" are just all around more prevalent in this country? What does that say about us?

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, stilgar said:

At that point it is too fucking late. Because cops and guards aren't gonna do shit to stop it from happening.

They fucked up for sure but I mean in the end the did storm and kill the fucker. Plus how many cops / guards got shot this time. One or more than one? They engaged him. Engaging shooters saves lives too. There have been security guards that tried to stop shooters, died, and survivors said it absolutely gave them a chance to run away. 

And dereliction of duty really should be more of a liability cops, and anyone we hire to protect kids, should have to worry about. 

So who pays for all of these new armed guards and metal detectors and fortified doors, Poof? Does that all come out of the already-strapped district budgets? What about private or religious-based schools? Is the local district on the hook for them too, or do they just have to fend for themselves?

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, naraku360 said:

😐

I’m busy… Theres this Japanese restaurant near where I’m sitting and its drawing a lot of Asian girls, so I’m, uhhhh, people watching… I’ll do the research later I promise 

12 minutes ago, Poof said:

They’re just a piece of the puzzle to “comprehensive security solution.” I know saying that we actually have to do work to secure these buildings isn’t cool, trendy, or simple. But I sincerely believe that’s the way. 

American schools are awful enough. Making them like prisons will only cause more shootings. It is a knee jerk reaction to a problem. A band aid if you will. It will solve nothing.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Top Gun said:

So who pays for all of these new armed guards and metal detectors and fortified doors, Poof? Does that all come out of the already-strapped district budgets? What about private or religious-based schools? Is the local district on the hook for them too, or do they just have to fend for themselves?

Hell no private schools don’t get taxpayer money even to defend the kids. I don’t like charter schools in general either. Ya private or public pick one.

It’s a good question but whoever refuses to pay for it wants our children to die instead so shouldn’t be the hardest sell

• D'oh 1

8 minutes ago, rpgamer said:

I've been mulling over this response from that reporter for a little bit now, and it's delicious how effective it is at shredding so many arguments. "Why only in America?"

All the elements exist everywhere else. Everywhere has schools, every school has bullies and creeps and losers. Everywhere has every other excuse, mental health issues, violent video games/media, etc. If "bad guys could still get guns anyway" were a viable argument, why don't they? We oughtta see some correlation in the data from other countries. Is it an admission that "bad guys" are just all around more prevalent in this country? What does that say about us?

Yup. I mean.... If we're gonna do all this... It sounds like we have a lot that forget just how massive the gun lobby is in the USA for 1, and what actually differs around the world. Here's some articles for thought. Should be good if we're just going to fucking brainstorm on an ambiguous scale right? ..

https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2022/5/25/what-is-the-united-states-gun-lobby-and-how-powerful-is-it

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2018/03/02/world/international-gun-laws.html?mtrref=www.google.com&gwh=229877C814B380B286F8E385BF6DBAD3&gwt=regi&assetType=REGIWALL

48 minutes ago, Poof said:

So let’s do nothing until we can figure out how gun control should work?

We've had 20+ years to figure it out, but we can't get any legislation passed to see what will work.

I will tell you that "Good guy with a gun" bs hasn't seemed to help, so I don't know why you think it would, now. Maybe you realize that expanding police is the only thing that government can manage to do.

Edited by PenguinBoss
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, stilgar said:

American schools are awful enough. Making them like prisons will only cause more shootings. It is a knee jerk reaction to a problem. A band aid if you will. It will solve nothing.

Well that’s like your opinion

1 hour ago, Poof said:

Whether they’re private or cops, they shouldn’t have jurisdiction over anything but shooting sprees. They should be as sequestered from the day to day as possible without sacrificing a rapid response.

believe me, I was driven to Saturday detentions in the back of the school cop car several times. I know personally that kind of thing is a real problem-created-by-the-solution

You didn't address the part about the clear pattern of discrimination.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Top Gun said:

How are we going to pay for M4A or student loan forgiveness?! HOW DO YOU PAY FOR IT?!?!

Also, we should put armed militias at all the schools.

42 minutes ago, PenguinBoss said:

I will tell you that "Good guy with a gun" bs hasn't seemed to help, so I don't know why you think it would now

Just two days ago a "good citizen with a gun" shot dead a lunatic who started shooting his AR-15 into a crowd at a graduation party full of dozens of children and parents. If they hadn't immediately responded with lethal force there very likely would have been a second massacre of kids this week. 

https://www.wowktv.com/news/local/charleston-police-shooting-victim-pulled-assault-rifle-on-party/

https://apnews.com/article/politics-police-shootings-west-virginia-1c089b5ba0ca83f05603cf0cce184c8d

There are plenty of other stories of mass shooters being stopped right before or during shooting sprees by both armed guards and civilians. 

"Good guys with guns" don't necessarily prevent mass shootings from being plotted or attempted by deranged psychos, but they are generally the only thing that can put a stop to these occasional mass murder events. 

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Poof said:

It’s a good question but whoever refuses to pay for it wants our children to die instead so shouldn’t be the hardest sell

https://nij.ojp.gov/library/publications/weapons-effects-and-individual-intent-do-harm-influences-escalation-violence

The study data included interviews with over 704 offenders regarding violent and potentially violent events experienced by the offenders. The researchers developed information on interaction type, weapon choice, and intent to do harm. Respondents were asked to recall incidents when they had avoided violence and incidents when they had perpetrated or experienced violence. As memory played a substantial role in data reliability, information regarding memory and memory reliability was presented. Prior research by Kleck and McElrath (1991) on weapon instrumentality effect was discussed. However, the authors’ data concerning weapons effect on likelihood of attack were opposite of the findings of the earlier researchers. The current study indicated that presence of a gun or knife made an attack more likely, not less likely. The authors caution that the ability to assess the weapon instrumentality effect of guns was complicated by the factors that influenced weapon choice. Specifically, individuals wishing to do the greatest harm may have an increased propensity to selecting a firearm as their weapon of choice. The authors’ analysis also provides independent effects that differ across the stages of an incident. 4 tables, 5 notes, 40 references, appendix

10 minutes ago, Nablonsky said:

Just two days ago a "good citizen with a gun" shot dead a lunatic who started shooting his AR-15 into a crowd at a graduation party full of dozens of children and parents. If they hadn't immediately responded with lethal force there very likely would have been a second massacre of kids this week. 

https://www.wowktv.com/news/local/charleston-police-shooting-victim-pulled-assault-rifle-on-party/

https://apnews.com/article/politics-police-shootings-west-virginia-1c089b5ba0ca83f05603cf0cce184c8d

There are plenty of other stories of mass shooters being stopped right before or during shooting sprees by both armed guards and civilians. 

"Good guys with guns" don't necessarily prevent mass shootings from being plotted or attempted by deranged psychos, but they are generally the only thing that can put a stop to these occasional mass murder events. 

Occasional is doing a lot of heavy lifting in that last sentence.

• Like 2

Just now, PenguinBoss said:

Occasional is doing a lot of heavy lifting in that last sentence.

It is...? How so, this a semantic gripe? "Frequent" didn't feel totally accurate since there generally aren't more than a few of these mass murder events each year, but I guess they are relatively frequent compared to how seldom they occur anywhere else. 

Maybe you'd prefer "now-typical" instead of occasional idk, not sure what your point here is but mine stands. These things don't usually resolve themselves any other way -

https://www.washingtonpost.com/local/school-resource-officer-blaine-gaskill-helped-stop-gunman-at-a-maryland-high-school/2018/03/20/639a8e42-2c66-11e8-b0b0-f706877db618_story.html

Proponents of increased school security immediately embraced Gaskill as a real-world example of what a well-trained “good guy with a gun” can do when a school is under fire. Many contrasted Gaskill’s actions with those of the uniformed resource officer shown on videotape waiting outside Florida’s Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School during a February shooting that left 17 people dead.

1 hour ago, Poof said:

Hell no private schools don’t get taxpayer money even to defend the kids. I don’t like charter schools in general either. Ya private or public pick one.

Okay, so I guess myself and the kids I teach are completely fucked then. Because we sure as shit don't have either the funding or physical infrastructure to make these changes. Thanks a ton.

(Oh, and for the record, at least in PA private schools still receive state grants for non-religious textbooks. I'd imagine the same is true in many other states.)

2 hours ago, André Toulon said:

Armed guards is a problem. All it takes is one having a bad day and he snaps or the more likely scenario where we waste money on a dude making less than an actual officer and expect him to take a bullet for some kids he doesn't give a fuck about.

No one needs a fucking AR, that's the solution. 

Just gonna have to embrace that Lil dick energy because doling it out in hollow points isn't working for anyone.

OR, wait until someone shoots up elderly white law makers.....no amount of dead kids of any ethnicity is going to shake that demographic 

Some people might need an AR

• D'oh 1

Just now, André Toulon said:

Yeah, go through the list.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_mass_shootings_in_the_United_States_in_2022

How many of these are planned mass murder sprees like the we are talking about here vs instances of typical gun violence involving a few people that occurs every day in every city in America? Apples to oranges. 

34 minutes ago, Nablonsky said:

It is...? How so, this a semantic gripe? "Frequent" didn't feel totally accurate since there generally aren't more than a few of these mass murder events each year, but I guess they are relatively frequent compared to how seldom they occur anywhere else. 

Maybe you'd prefer "now-typical" instead of occasional idk, not sure what your point here is but mine stands. These things don't usually resolve themselves any other way -

https://www.washingtonpost.com/local/school-resource-officer-blaine-gaskill-helped-stop-gunman-at-a-maryland-high-school/2018/03/20/639a8e42-2c66-11e8-b0b0-f706877db618_story.html

Proponents of increased school security immediately embraced Gaskill as a real-world example of what a well-trained “good guy with a gun” can do when a school is under fire. Many contrasted Gaskill’s actions with those of the uniformed resource officer shown on videotape waiting outside Florida’s Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School during a February shooting that left 17 people dead.

Mass shootings in the US are only occasional in reference to itself. Compared to anywhere else, it's very frequent. I feel like you're also only including shootings with like 20 deaths, while I think only... 4(?) casualties are needed to be defined as a mass shooting. Following that, I think it's more than occasional, even by American standards. But yeah, I'm arguing semantics. To me, claiming that they're occasional feels like you're downplaying the problem. Although we can both agree occasional is still far too often.

As far as your posts, I'm not reading them, but I don't mind conceding that guards can work. However, the question is: Does it curb more shootings than addressing the underlying issues would?

Edit: Sorry, didn't mean posts, meant links.

Edited by PenguinBoss

8 minutes ago, Top Gun said:

Okay, so I guess myself and the kids I teach are completely fucked then. Because we sure as shit don't have either the funding or physical infrastructure to make these changes. Thanks a ton.

(Oh, and for the record, at least in PA private schools still receive state grants for non-religious textbooks. I'd imagine the same is true in many other states.)

And I don’t like that.

ok so where’s the funding to stop fucking Americans from having guns. You realize the amount of resistance to that there would be and how much dealing with it would cost?

nobody has explained how they’ll stop people from printing ARs in the near future? How much will that cost? You gonna scan everyone’s computer for physibles?

17 minutes ago, Poof said:

Some people might need an AR

If you feel the need to own an item that is solely designed to kill large numbers of people quickly, then you are mentally disturbed. Full stop.

And I love that line of thinking. "We can't possibly stop all of the wrong people getting guns, so we shouldn't do anything to stop any of them." It's defeatist bullshit.

Edited by Top Gun
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, PenguinBoss said:

I feel like you're also only including shootings with like 20 deaths, while I think only... 4(?) casualties are needed to be defined as a mass shooting

Zero casualties are needed but it does require a minimum of 4 people being shot, shooter inclusive. These happen very frequently, multiple times a day in this country, predominantly involving handguns and local men who know each other personally, and are totally divorced from the type of mass murder episodes we are discussing here. 

4 minutes ago, PenguinBoss said:

I don't mind conceding that guards can work. However, the question is: Does it curb more shootings than addressing the underlying issues would?

Depends how those issues are addressed. Fortifying schools and giving cops even more guns and money to cower when shit hits the fan? Probably not. Universalizing mental health care and strengthening the social safety net to provide basic necessities such as housing as a human right would be far more effective at decreasing crime and murders and be much more beneficial for society overall. 

But when we have one political party that refuses to support gun control legislation in any way and another that insists it needs at least 65 senators to do anything on Earth (~5 extra to make up for the rotating villain "spoilers" like Manchin, etc) this seems like a pretty pointless exercise. 

What could be done, a lot. What will be done, nothing good unless you're a cop, in which case you probably got more money coming your way on the other side of this monumental failure of the police. 

And no matter what we do, even if some milquetoast bumpstock ban-esque marginal legislation does somehow materialize out of this (lol no), even if it's a little more than that (raising the age limit/wait time re: buying a gun), in the end these events will still happen for the foreseeable future because our violent imperial warmongering capitalist empire is awash with guns and poverty and misery and desperation, and the only thing that will stop them when they do happen, with ever increasing frequency, is people with guns responding and usually killing the spree shooter. 

19 minutes ago, Top Gun said:

If you feel the need to own an item that is solely designed to kill large numbers of people quickly, then you are mentally disturbed. Full stop.

And I love that line of thinking. "We can't possibly stop all of the wrong people getting guns, so we shouldn't do anything to stop any of them." It's defeatist bullshit.

But those weapons do exist and the technology can't be legislated out of existence. The govt will always have those guns, the military, mercenary groups, right wing militia groups, rich people and their private security, gun collectors and nutters, and all manner of people who won't hesitate to use those guns if and when there ever arises a revolution in this country to take wealth and power away from these people and redistribute it to the masses. 

Politically, one side has all the guns, and it's the side which includes both major parties and most of their politicians, all three branches of government, the entirety of law enforcement and the military, and the tens of millions of millionaires in America. 

They are awash with money and power and maintain their hegemony over the rest of us, over the rest of the world, with their guns. The right wingers who control this empire will never shed their guns or allow them to be taken away, no matter what the law says. 

That's the current state of the playing field. Me personally, at this point, no, I don't support responding to spree shooter events by preventing the citizenry from arming themselves, that seems anti-revolutionary and counter-productive to me. The ruling class is never going to disarm themselves. As long as they are in this position over us, why allow them to disarm the masses? 

Edited by Nablonsky
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Poof said:

And I don’t like that.

ok so where’s the funding to stop fucking Americans from having guns. You realize the amount of resistance to that there would be and how much dealing with it would cost?

nobody has explained how they’ll stop people from printing ARs in the near future? How much will that cost? You gonna scan everyone’s computer for physibles?

Too bad the presence of guns create greater escalation. Your recommendation would potentially lead to more shootings, not less:

1 hour ago, naraku360 said:

https://nij.ojp.gov/library/publications/weapons-effects-and-individual-intent-do-harm-influences-escalation-violence

The study data included interviews with over 704 offenders regarding violent and potentially violent events experienced by the offenders. The researchers developed information on interaction type, weapon choice, and intent to do harm. Respondents were asked to recall incidents when they had avoided violence and incidents when they had perpetrated or experienced violence. As memory played a substantial role in data reliability, information regarding memory and memory reliability was presented. Prior research by Kleck and McElrath (1991) on weapon instrumentality effect was discussed. However, the authors’ data concerning weapons effect on likelihood of attack were opposite of the findings of the earlier researchers. The current study indicated that presence of a gun or knife made an attack more likely, not less likely. The authors caution that the ability to assess the weapon instrumentality effect of guns was complicated by the factors that influenced weapon choice. Specifically, individuals wishing to do the greatest harm may have an increased propensity to selecting a firearm as their weapon of choice. The authors’ analysis also provides independent effects that differ across the stages of an incident. 4 tables, 5 notes, 40 references, appendix

Also, you still haven't answered on the discrimination issue. If trained cops keep shooting babies because they might have a gun in their diaper, what makes you think they'd not do the same when stationed at a building full of kids potentially old enough to actually have gotten their hands on one?

Edited by naraku360

Pooh already covered why police in schools is a dumb bad idea.

On 5/25/2022 at 9:23 AM, 1pooh4u said:

Fuckin sad but your post is truth. Schools with police presence has shown us time and time again that it doesn’t make children safer.  Just the other day I saw a video where school officers (that were cops) breaking up a fight and then kneeling on the neck of a 14 yo for 25 seconds.  I think this was in Kenosha WI. The girl now suffers from brain injury 

• Like 2