UnevenEdge

McCarthy Speaker & GOP House Majority Drama

Master-Debater131

4 minutes ago, matrixman124 said:

The checkmarks at the top of the replies are all whining about how Jordan should have the Speakership. I guess they are bad at math too

you see, it's the Democrats' fault for voting for their own leader instead of someone who openly considers them the enemy and refused to entertain compromise.

• Thanks 3

House Republicans nominated House Majority Whip Tom Emmer (R-Minn.) for Speaker on Tuesday, making him the third GOP lawmaker who will attempt to get 217 votes to secure the gavel in the past three weeks.

The conference is taking a roll call vote to see how much support the Minnesota Republican may have as the nominee.

Emmer may also have to contend having a less conservative voting record than some members would like.

He has voted in favor of codifying same-sex marriage; in favor of spending bills and a debt limit deal that outraged hard-liners; and opposed votes on Jan. 6, 2021, objecting to 2020 election results.

https://thehill.com/homenews/house/4272284-tom-emmer-wins-speaker-nomination-gop-third-try/

• Like 2

Once again, put a MAGAt head on the official chopping block and vote for the Dem elect with the first order of business punting that MAGAt out of Congress and threatening to do the same to the rest of the losers. If they've already tossed the speakership due to cry baby shenanigans, majority is no longer a thing to hang on to. It doesn't matter how many MAGAts vote against having someone like Gaetz tossed out on his ass, those few will be facing all the Dem votes and every Rep vote per the agreement. 

Things will probably be safer around there anyway if the ass-clowns aren't allowed in the building anymore. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Raptorpat said:

The party is too factional to compensate for four seats of wiggle room. Could just yo-yo between institutional moderates and hard right for all eternity.

I think wayyyyyy back in this thread I said there was a very real possibility you see a Dem speaker because of this.

Ider say we are at the 50/50 point of that actually happening.

If I were a Democratic negotiator, I would start out with a maximalist offer (like proposing Pelosi or even Jeffries himself as Speaker) and working my way down in negotiations. Because Republicans wouldn't have a lot of leverage, and I've never seen so many desperate politicians in one place before.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Raptorpat said:

Think like an Emmer type winning 115 moderate GOP and another 100+ moderate Dems.

If they can get 115 moderate Republicans, they only have to negotiate a universal  "Present" vote from the Democratic bloc.  There's no win in this for a Democrat voting for a Republican.

Rep. Mike Johnson won a closed-door contest on Tuesday night to become his party’s fourth speaker nominee.

Now, the Louisiana lawmaker faces the much tougher task of securing the 217 votes he needs to win on the House floor. Earlier Tuesday, Johnson came in second to Majority Whip Tom Emmer, who then withdrew after former President Donald Trump publicly came out against him.

Johnson is already facing skepticism from fellow Republicans that he’ll prevail on the floor. If he’s unsuccessful it would make him the fourth speaker nominee since Kevin McCarthy was ousted earlier this month to be forced to withdraw despite being supported by a majority of the conference.

“He's uniquely positioned to lose 30 votes on either side of the conference,” said Rep. Thomas Massie (R-Ky.).

Rep. John Duarte (R-Calif.), who is from a battleground district, also predicted Johnson won’t be able to get to 217 adding: “He couldn’t get 100 earlier.”

https://www.politico.com/live-updates/2023/10/24/congress/next-up-mike-johnson-00123404

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Icarus27k said:

Mike Johnson must be one of those Congressmen who I could never identify whenever I would go to the U.S. Capitol for work. Some members I could immediately recognize, but there was this blob of Republican men who I never learned anything about. 

Reading his Wiki is like reading a top 10 list of bad political beliefs.

• Like 4

12 hours ago, Mix said:

The shadow government isn't even trying anymore.

- "Let's call him Mike Johnson."

- "That's not a real name. They'll see right through that."

- "You said that about Barack Obama."

The GOP had to choose between Rep Mike Johnson and Rep Mike Hunt. Was a tough choice 

• Haha 6

1 hour ago, 1pooh4u said:

He has to. His wife would be a big ol sinner otherwise. Isn’t there a commandment about not kneeling before other gods? 

I....don't know any of the commandments.

Is there one that says anything about putting gods in your mouth?

NOTE TO SELF:

1. Try pick up line, "I've got god in my pants," at church.

2. Also, start going to church.

• Haha 3

51 minutes ago, 1pooh4u said:

I don’t understand what that is. Is that a marriage for people that really hate each other, but don’t want to divorce? 

8 minutes ago, discolé monade said:

ayup. 

looks that way. 

Luckily, that sort of environment only produces the most emotionally stable and mentally healthy children money could buy.

Although, you pay for therapy, you don't buy it. But the line doesn't sound right if I say "money could pay for."

Anyway, don't judge.

My parents are good people (they're alright >.>).

They don't hate each other (they sleep in separate rooms x_x).

• Haha 4

• 2 weeks later...