UnevenEdge

McCarthy Speaker & GOP House Majority Drama

Master-Debater131

Representative Matt Gaetz, the far-right Republican from Florida, said on Sunday that he would move this week to remove Speaker Kevin McCarthy from his leadership post, promising to follow through on weeks of threats to try ousting him for working with Democrats to keep the government funded.

Mr. Gaetz’s announcement came the day after Mr. McCarthy, in a stunning reversal, steered around Republican opposition to a stopgap spending plan and turned to Democrats to help him push legislation through the House to avert a shutdown. The California Republican said he knew he was putting his speakership at risk by doing so, and dared his detractors to make a move against him.

https://www.nytimes.com/2023/10/01/us/politics/mccarthy-speaker-gaetz.html

8 minutes ago, discolé monade said:

could you imagine? oh...what a glorious idea. 

The speaker of the house has the right to remove people from committees. He should just start pointing at all the dipshits and go 'nope, you're done'. Even if they turn around and attempt to punt him, good luck getting enough votes to put a dipshit in the seat to reclaim plush seats. Hell, if he really wanted to screw them over, he could set into motion the punting of all those under investigations of their own as unfit which would definitely toss the majority over to Dems for the short term which could be the only thing that would make the dipshits pause and play nice [ for now ]. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Icarus27k said:

Barring any last minute grand deal, McCarthy is going to lose his speakership today. 

Still not certain that will happen, but statements like this (from CNN of course)...

He was further pressed by CNN, he ruled out any sort of power-sharing agreement with Democrats. 

“That doesn’t work. I'm a conservative; I'm a Republican. I'm a conservative that want to get things done. I know we live in our governments designed to have compromise but look we are in the majority. You don't surrender,” he said.  

... explain why the system has failed to function for the past 11 years.

You don't get things done if you need to be in a position of power to do so; you get them done when you have no power and you make use of the opportunities granted to you.  It's counterintuitive and somewhat reductive, but, in general, it's when a party is in a position of minority that it begins to establish its identity.  This infighting has done two things so far:  it's shown how fractured and disjointed the Republican caucus is and it's shown the first inkling of the Democrats forming an identity as a caucus.  McCarthy isn't technically wrong, yet you would never hear Pelosi utter that statement at any time for the simple reason that its an acknowledgement that the majority caucus isn't the most powerful caucus.

• Like 2

And now the GOP uses the Jamal Bowman fire alarm pull to distract people from the shit show shape their party is in. 

aren’t the Dems at least a little concerned about the psycho that’s likely to take McCarthy’s place if he’s removed?  There’s already a small group of psychos w a lot of sway. I’d hate to see a house speaker Jordan 

• Thanks 2

56 minutes ago, 1pooh4u said:

[A}ren’t the Dems at least a little concerned about the psycho that’s likely to take McCarthy’s place if he’s removed?  There’s already a small group of psychos w a lot of sway. I’d hate to see a house speaker Jordan 

I don't think it particularly matters given how spineless McCarthy has been.  He may the lesser of two evils for the GOP Moderates, but he hasn't accomplished much without the Democrats while promptly reneging on deals he makes with them to survive.  Anyone worse than him isn't any more likely to wrangle moderate votes than McCarthy let alone more centrist Democrats.  It doesn't benefit the Democrats to prop up McCarthy over dealing with a more idiotic replacement.

13 minutes ago, Raptorpat said:

the Bowman stuff was just drama I thought

the dude tried to open an emergency exit door to take a shortcut

I know but the gop is treating it as though it’s as bad as what happened on Jan 6 they claim he was trying to disrupt proceedings but congress was never evacuated and his vote was to pass the temp budget it doesn’t make sense 

also McCarthy is no longer speaker of the house 

https://nypost.com/2023/10/03/kevin-mccarthy-ousted-as-house-speaker-causing-congress-chaos/?utm_campaign=iphone_nyp&utm_source=ru.reactivephone.MobileSearch.OpenInSearchUI

Edited by 1pooh4u
  • Thanks 1

McCarthy is currently doing a press conference that I would describe as informal, and not giving any fucks. He's doing back and forth with reporters and giving details about things asked of him that a politician wouldn't normally give. "I didn't say that in that private conversation, here's what really happened." Etc. 

• Thanks 1

So if the speaker needs 218 votes, the new speaker would basically need all of the Democrats and some not as far right Republicans OR all the Republican votes.

We're probably going to get a GOP approved shill who is going to promise Gaetz and his faction favors/appointments to secure the vote. There's no way the GOP would risk losing the House Speakership and no Republicans would defect since it would be political suicide.

12 hours ago, Seight said:

We're seeing things happen that have never happened before.

Matt Gaetz is the Wayne Gretzky of shithead politicians. 

Nah. Gretzky followed through on his plans and action and became one of the best of all time.

Gaetz is more like Matt Cooke. An absolute tool who has no plan other than to cause damage and cost his own team wins.

• Thanks 2

5 minutes ago, matrixman124 said:

Why would any Republicans vote for him at this point 

Theres a lot of snarky responses here, but the answer is likely the power of incumbency.

Hes the incumbent in a safe district. Most people don't pay attention to politics, so when it comes time to vote they just go with what they know.