UnevenEdge

McCarthy Speaker & GOP House Majority Drama

Master-Debater131

Here's something that I was wondering about.

If Florida Manlette started this because McCarthy worked with democrats to keep the whole thing from shutting down and working with democrats is the absolute worst thing in the world, then shouldn't Florida Manlette now set himself on fire in a public square for technically working with democrats to oust McCarthy? o.O

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, katt_goddess said:

If Florida Manlette started this because McCarthy worked with democrats to keep the whole thing from shutting down and working with democrats is the absolute worst thing in the world, then shouldn't Florida Manlette now set himself on fire in a public square for technically working with democrats to oust McCarthy? o.O

The 4D chess that is the modern Republican Party is well above my comprehension.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, katt_goddess said:

It's shameful.

His district really ought to think about electing a better class of pedophile.

Someone that really stands on their values.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

I don't know about this. McCarthy's ouster seems like a more direct form of democracy. The House rule that the GOP made at the start of Congress in January was that one member can demand the Speaker go, and then the full House would have to vote on it. 

Alternatives to this are also democracy. Say, there being NO motion to vacate possible and instead the person elected Speaker serves a term of until the Congress ends. Or one member can file a motion to vacate, but the full House is under NO obligation to vote on it. Those would both be non-controversial ideas keeping with democracy. But this rule is more direct and immediate. 

I don't think it by itself hurts democracy.

Screenshot_20231005-162602.thumb.png.007ae36420afca05ab650ab69f463724.png

• Like 1

At this point I think that one of the more likely outcomes is a Dem speaker. Gaetz, and his idiot posse, are not going to accept anyone. Theyve done this to try and cripple the House and shut down the government.

So with a winding clock to the eventual shutdown I could easily see a handful of centrist Republicans finding a centrist Democrat to vote for. Democrats would rush for the opportunity to get the Speakers gavel back and further embarrass the GOP. Plus then they could shut down all sorts of stuff, including the impeachment stuff.

Jim Jordan is apparently running for the gavel, but its hard to see him being able to give up enough to placate Gaetz while also holding onto those Centrists. And even if he does, it wont last long.

4 minutes ago, tsar4 said:

Cold chill moment of the year (so far):

Somehow Trump becomes Speaker, the next thing you know something happens to incapacitate the POTUS & VP.  Guess who would be next in line?

He can’t become Speaker.  They have specific on the books rules against nominating someone who’s under indictment.  

The threat to nominate Trump was saber rattling and MAGA dogwhistling.

Edited by Jman

3 minutes ago, Jman said:

He can’t become Speaker.  They have specific on the books rules against nominating someone who’s under indictment.  

The threat to nominate Trump was saber rattling and MAGA dogwhistling.

According to the news, those rules are within the GOP.  Wanna bet they roll them back? 

Just now, tsar4 said:

According to the news, those rules are within the GOP.  Wanna bet they roll them back? 

It would only stoke further divisions, which is probably why Trumpenfurher endorsed Jim Jordan vs asking himself.  

• Like 1

A Dem speaker would be hilarious, but kind of unlikely.  That kind of unraveling will do more harm than good, especially this close to the next election cycle.  That’s not to say the Dems won’t nominate a Dem to force a moderate Republican, but there is no advantage to being a cross party speaker.

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, Jman said:

It would only stoke further divisions, which is probably why Trumpenfurher endorsed Jim Jordan vs asking himself.  

After which he got "Florida Man" Gaetz to endorse him - because he only got 1 vote the first time around.

2 hours ago, tsar4 said:

Cold chill moment of the year (so far):

Somehow Trump becomes Speaker, the next thing you know something happens to incapacitate the POTUS & VP.  Guess who would be next in line?

"...Wait, so I can't pardon myself? nah I'm out"

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

On 10/6/2023 at 7:17 PM, scoobdog said:

A Dem speaker would be hilarious, but kind of unlikely.  

I was thinking Nancy Pelosi will somehow become Speaker again, just to be used as a scapegoat, maybe ousted right before the next general election. And then she wins back her seat and becomes Speaker full term anyway. 🙄

Here's a nice thought. 

If the GOP wants the Dems help, the cost will be the successful expulsion of at least one of the major dickheads currently being a major dickhead. It would be the first act overseen of the newly elected speaker and every single GOP member sick of the stupid will be expected to vote for the expulsion along with the Dems which would guarantee making that 2/3 requirement regardless of which crybaby is on the block. 

They might only need to completely punt one [ as much as I'd like the full list of losers checked off ] in order to pull the rest of the super-crazy back in managable line since it would be instant proof that they are no longer the bullet-proof badasses they like to think they are and that their behaviors are now going to start having consequences. 

Flip a coin between Pedo-Gaetz and Confederate Green. It's a win either way.   

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, katt_goddess said:

Here's a nice thought. 

If the GOP wants the Dems help, the cost will be the successful expulsion of at least one of the major dickheads currently being a major dickhead. It would be the first act overseen of the newly elected speaker and every single GOP member sick of the stupid will be expected to vote for the expulsion along with the Dems which would guarantee making that 2/3 requirement regardless of which crybaby is on the block. 

They might only need to completely punt one [ as much as I'd like the full list of losers checked off ] in order to pull the rest of the super-crazy back in managable line since it would be instant proof that they are no longer the bullet-proof badasses they like to think they are and that their behaviors are now going to start having consequences. 

Flip a coin between Pedo-Gaetz and Confederate Green. It's a win either way.   

Nobody wants to be a Liz Cheney

4 hours ago, Master-Debater131 said:

Its a really good thing there arent multiple crisis happening around the world.

Would be really awkward if there were.

Did I say awkward? I meant freaking embarrassing.

around the world? what about right here?

see, that's the fucking problem. this country has a crisis. THIS country. 

Edited by discolé monade
  • Like 1

The only way I see this ending is a bipartisan consensus Speaker. Democrats and moderate Republicans voting for someone. Good news: it will empower Democrats for the next year or so, depending on the details of the deal.

I heard the name Doug Jones, former U.S. senator, suggested as a candidate. We could do a lot worse than him. 

Vote is today and it looks like eight GOP will vote no while everyone else fears Trump having them primaried and censured.  This is down from 50 following the usual "Vote in lockstep or else" campaign that is Current Year.  That's still four more than Trump can afford to lose.  Granted, the GOP has been working overtime trying to lean on these jackasses to elect the insurrectionist as Speaker.  

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Raptorpat said:

"other" just hit five votes so I think that seals the first ballot even though they're only a quarter of the way through.

One of the congressmen is attending a funeral so the margin of error was 3 votes.  Jordan and Trump’s threats reduced the no’s from 50 to 10.

• Like 2