UnevenEdge

McCarthy Speaker & GOP House Majority Drama

Master-Debater131

4 minutes ago, Master-Debater131 said:

4th vote, 4th failure.

Sounds like McCarthy may be trying to work out a deal with Democrats now.

What kind of deal?  Get me in and we share the spoils?  How could democrats even help him?  

they are calling the 20 dissenters “the Taliban 20” 

8 minutes ago, 1pooh4u said:

What kind of deal?  Get me in and we share the spoils?  How could democrats even help him?  

The only deal I can think of is corralling the extremists and bipartisan support on bills that would be stonewalled on principle.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Jman said:

The only deal I can think of is corralling the extremists and bipartisan support on bills that would be stonewalled on principle.

McCarthy probably wants some Dems to vote for him with the promise of killing radical legislation when it goes through Congress or maybe something with committee assignments and investigations that are certainly going to start as soon as the circus is over. 

32 minutes ago, 1pooh4u said:

Theres a couple ways they could help him. 1 is to vote for him and 2 is for a number of Dems to just not show up. The majority vote is based on members in the chamber, not elected members. So if enough of them stay home that the majority drops to the 209 or so that he has then he is elected speaker.

As for what he gives, hard to say. I think its clear that the wacko wing has taken enough control that no legislation is getting passed, even "must pass" stuff to keep the government running. So he potentially could offer them a compromise on legislation to move to the middle to make sure it gets passed. That s probably going to have to happen anyways. He may offer to keep some members off of committees as well. He could essentially offer Dems something along the lines of "you get me to the Speaker, and none of the people voting against me are on any committee". That is a huge fig leaf to the Dems, and a clear shot in the GOP civil war.

30 minutes ago, 1pooh4u said:

McCarthy probably wants some Dems to vote for him with the promise of killing radical legislation when it goes through Congress or maybe something with committee assignments and investigations that are certainly going to start as soon as the circus is over. 

Dems better keep listening to their constituents and let those motherfuckers keep shitting themselves on national tv.

• Like 4

I don't think I shared either yesterday, but both totally tangentially relevant:

Upset in Ohio as Dems join GOP to pick new House Speaker
Reid Wilson, Pluribus News

A coalition of Republicans joined with Democrats to pick a new speaker of the state House on Tuesday, bucking a majority of Republicans who voted last month for a different candidate.

Mark Rozzi, a Democrat-turned-independent, is now speaker of the Pa. House after a surprise vote
Andrew Seidman and Gillian McGoldrick, The Philadelphia Inquirer

Democrats and more than a dozen Republicans threw their support behind a consensus candidate for speaker of the Pennsylvania House on Tuesday, a surprise move some lawmakers said would help bring unity to the state capital.

1 hour ago, DragonSinger said:

Dems better keep listening to their constituents and let those motherfuckers keep shitting themselves on national tv.

I agree democrats shouldn’t help McCarthy he wouldn’t keep his word anyway, so better they prove the gop to be totally dysfunctional, than for Dems to give them a lifeline and then get fucked later. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Master-Debater131 said:

Theres a couple ways they could help him. 1 is to vote for him and 2 is for a number of Dems to just not show up. The majority vote is based on members in the chamber, not elected members. So if enough of them stay home that the majority drops to the 209 or so that he has then he is elected speaker.

As for what he gives, hard to say. I think its clear that the wacko wing has taken enough control that no legislation is getting passed, even "must pass" stuff to keep the government running. So he potentially could offer them a compromise on legislation to move to the middle to make sure it gets passed. That s probably going to have to happen anyways. He may offer to keep some members off of committees as well. He could essentially offer Dems something along the lines of "you get me to the Speaker, and none of the people voting against me are on any committee". That is a huge fig leaf to the Dems, and a clear shot in the GOP civil war.

I don’t think democrats should buy anything the republicans are selling. They won’t keep their word. I’d rather the republicans meltdown on their own without help from democrats. I say that because deal or no deal nothing is getting accomplished with this congress. It’s the gop’s turn now to be shot in the foot by their own party. Usually it’s the democrats doing it to themselves cuz of Ds like Manchin and Sinema, before she left the party. 

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, Raptorpat said:

Fifth round failed with the same results as round four. Onto round 6.

Is this the vote that never ends? How long will this shit go on for?  Until McCarthy drops out and Jim Jordan, the man that doesn’t want the job (boebert compared him to George Washington btw) says he’s willing to take it? 

24 minutes ago, 1pooh4u said:

Is this the vote that never ends? How long will this shit go on for?  Until McCarthy drops out and Jim Jordan, the man that doesn’t want the job (boebert compared him to George Washington btw) says he’s willing to take it? 

Until he gives the Dems enough concessions that they ram him through it seems like.

36 minutes ago, 1pooh4u said:

I don’t think democrats should buy anything the republicans are selling. They won’t keep their word. I’d rather the republicans meltdown on their own without help from democrats. I say that because deal or no deal nothing is getting accomplished with this congress. It’s the gop’s turn now to be shot in the foot by their own party. Usually it’s the democrats doing it to themselves cuz of Ds like Manchin and Sinema, before she left the party. 

The difference here is that Dems could force rules on McCarthy that he has to abide by to get their votes. One thing that I heard was that they could force McCarthy to adopt many of the rules that Pelosi had under the last Congress. Those were things that the GOP wanted to do away with, but McCarthy could be forced to adopt them. And he cant just change those rules, once they are there they are there for that Congress.

He can also offer tweaking the makeup of committees or even giving a Dem the chair for their votes. The GOP would riot, but its their own damn fault.

42 minutes ago, 1pooh4u said:

Theres no time limit.

They will continue to vote, day after day, vote after vote, until they have a new Speaker.

Edit: they jut adjourned for a few hours. Thats the one thing they can do other than vote for speaker. They can adopt resolutions to adjourn for a period of time.

Edited by Master-Debater131
  • Like 1

It is WILD watching this all play out. Its pretty clear that  Bo Bo the Clown has lost almost all the support she had from usually friendly places like Fox.

Whats still amazing to me is that she is an absolutely horrible candidate who damn near lost in a R+20 district and yet she still thinks she has a mandate to dictate to the rest of the GOP what the platform should be. Shes an idiot who doesnt represent Conservative values. Shes only in it for herself, and its painfully clear that she doesnt care about the GOP.

It's always odd to hear someone say a conservative politician "doesn't represent conservative values."

How do you casually step away from a politician on your side, but still align yourself with their constituency?

The line should of read, "Lauren Boebert and the people of the 3rd congressional district of Colorado don't represent conservative values."

No one ever says it like that though.

• Like 1

Heh

This is a combination of two factors; some Reps actually wanting to make meaningful reforms and others getting revenge for being sabotaged in their re-election/election campaigns by McCarthy. Kevin should have knocked that crap off, with more GOP reps in, his margin would have been easier to get, in terms of concessions he would have to make for votes. Instead we get a front row seat to a real circus. The problem of course is that there is a debt ceiling limit approaching fast, so the stakes of the chicken game are getting a bit higher.

• D'oh 2

11 minutes ago, Raptorpat said:

This was always the end result from these idiots. They dont have a real option in the House to go with, so they go with Trump. This was talked about amongst the crazies nearly immediately after he lost to Biden in 2020. The idiots were saying things like "Elect him speaker, impeach Biden, impeach Harris, BOOM! President Trump!" as if any of that had the smallest possible chance of happening.

• Like 2

this shit seems mad dumb, so is it like if nobody lets him win then nobody else is allowed to actually win so the gubment keeps cucking itself into a catch 22 situation unless they change whatever dumb rule makes this a thing and lets the guy actually getting the most votes actually win

1 hour ago, viperxmns said:

this shit seems mad dumb, so is it like if nobody lets him win then nobody else is allowed to actually win so the gubment keeps cucking itself into a catch 22 situation unless they change whatever dumb rule makes this a thing and lets the guy actually getting the most votes actually win

• Like 3

Is it possible to get 5 R’s to vote for Jeffries just to screw over the MAGA wing?  More likely at this point is Kev having to go to the Dems for concessions since it’s clear the MAGA win doesn’t give a shit what he offers.

28 minutes ago, Jman said:

Is it possible to get 5 R’s to vote for Jeffries just to screw over the MAGA wing?  More likely at this point is Kev having to go to the Dems for concessions since it’s clear the MAGA win doesn’t give a shit what he offers.

The more likely play is for McCarthy to figure out a way to get enough Dems to vote for him, or to stay home, to put him over the top.

I thought about the GOP handing it to Jefferies, but I think thats the least likely of all the unlikely possibilities.

6 hours ago, Ginguy said:

Heh

This is a combination of two factors; some Reps actually wanting to make meaningful reforms and others getting revenge for being sabotaged in their re-election/election campaigns by McCarthy. Kevin should have knocked that crap off, with more GOP reps in, his margin would have been easier to get, in terms of concessions he would have to make for votes. Instead we get a front row seat to a real circus. The problem of course is that there is a debt ceiling limit approaching fast, so the stakes of the chicken game are getting a bit higher.

There are no meaningful reforms planned with any GOP members at this time and you know it. It's all about gutting social programs, giving Oil more money, and HUNTER BIDEN'S LAPTOP IS DICK PICS. :| 

If the MAGAt party wants blood, they should eat their golden fraud. He put himself on the ballot with a bunch of losers who lost, two of which were literal carpetbaggers. And many had to siphon money from their campaigns to him for his shitty 'endorsement' which was never used to assist any other candidates anywhere. That money disappeared like so many other things he manages to get his hands on and is either being used to pay back his many many debts that are ballooning out of control or its being hidden in the one bank account that still 'works' for him...in China. 

11th vote and still nope.

• Thanks 3