UnevenEdge

McCarthy Speaker & GOP House Majority Drama

Master-Debater131

I guess the 11th time isn’t the 😬😆

the “Taliban 20” doesn’t want any deal they just wanna watch McCarthy grovel and make concession after concession. He’d actually be better off licking democrat rep feet and get them to vote for him. It’s not gonna happen but damn at what point does he say “I give up the government functioning is more important than my ambitions”

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Raptorpat said:

I haven't been keeping a list, but we could be close to five Dems willing to cut some sort of unity deal. It's probably the most likely outcome.

It seemed like at some point he'd have to realize it would be easier to convince a handful of Democrats to vote for him than the 20 Republicans that believe the sky is a government psy-op. 

9 hours ago, Raptorpat said:

I haven't been keeping a list, but we could be close to five Dems willing to cut some sort of unity deal. It's probably the most likely outcome.

These talks started shortly after he lost the 3rd vote I believe. Its just a question of what is he going to have to give up to get the deal done.

2 minutes ago, Master-Debater131 said:

These talks started shortly after he lost the 3rd vote I believe. Its just a question of what is he going to have to give up to get the deal done.

At least with the Democrats there’s a theoretical end goal.  No such end goal or tangible demands exists with the MAGA wing.

8 minutes ago, Jman said:

At least with the Democrats there’s a theoretical end goal.  No such end goal or tangible demands exists with the MAGA wing.

The end goal is TRUMP!!!!!!! and thats it. The personal cult tops all other priorities.

Dems could really hamstring the GOP majority depending on what they get from McCarthy. They could severely limit Subpoena powers, committee powers, chairmanship of committees, or even a guarantee that there will be no fight over the budget or debt ceiling.

If Dems play hardball with McCarthy they could cripple a lot of the wants of the MAGA wing and GOP base. Which would be hilarious honestly. The backfire on the MAGA wing would be epic.  Their self-professed claiming to be fighting for "the base" could end up with them getting absolutely nothing.

Of course it would be Alaska willing to negotiate with Republicans first no surprise there but anyone believing that McCarthy will keep his word, even if it’s in writing, is just either an idiot or extremely naïve. 

any deal Dems make have to include not giving the MAGA 20 any committee assignments if possible. They’re only going to obstruct everything. At least not the nymphomaniac, brain dead Barbie and the sex trafficker

22 minutes ago, 1pooh4u said:

any deal Dems make have to include not giving the MAGA 20 any committee assignments if possible. They’re only going to obstruct everything. At least not the nymphomaniac, brain dead Barbie and the sex trafficker

If the Dems wanted to cause pure chaos within the GOP as well as actually get things done in the next 2 years then this is the route they should go.

it would cause a massive schism within the GOP while also keeping the most insane people off of committees.

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, Master-Debater131 said:

If the Dems wanted to cause pure chaos within the GOP as well as actually get things done in the next 2 years then this is the route they should go.

it would cause a massive schism within the GOP while also keeping the most insane people off of committees.

They’re probably gonna start by asking none of them to receive assignments and get negotiated down to those 3.  is it possible even to keep 20 reps off committees?   

I know politically it’s probably best for Dems to do an assist if they get certain things but McCarthy is such a snake that you just know it’s gonna bite them in the ass later if they do this. It’ll take less than a month for Dems to start crying that he’s reneging on their deal. 

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, 1pooh4u said:

They’re probably gonna start by asking none of them to receive assignments and get negotiated down to those 3.  is it possible even to keep 20 reps off committees?   

I know politically it’s probably best for Dems to do an assist if they get certain things but McCarthy is such a snake that you just know it’s gonna bite them in the ass later if they do this. It’ll take less than a month for Dems to start crying that he’s reneging on their deal. 

20? probably not. But they could probably work out a deal to keep a good chunk of them off of committees, or all of them off of key ones. McCarthy could assign them to pretty weak committees and let them whine for 2 years.

As for reneging on the deal, he cant do that. If he does then the Dems could group up with those same 20 GOP to vote him out of the speakership. McCarthy would have to continue to work with both the Democrats and 200ish Republicans who voted for him.

24 minutes ago, Raptorpat said:

If the remainder are 100% no votes on McCarthy and he's gotta look to Dems, I wonder how many yes votes turn to no votes just by virtue of negotiating with Dems.

Seems more likely they shore up the votes on their own and Dems get nothing out of this mess. Which was probably always the outcome..

20 minutes ago, SwimOdin said:

If this all eventually goes through with attrition and no rules changes…what was the fucking point? A tantrum?

Instead of giving concessions to Dems for the votes and thus neutering their power, they concede to the holdouts thus increasing their influence, something something Biden goes to prison, Trump instated, etc.. /sponges

• Haha 4

21 minutes ago, SwimOdin said:

If this all eventually goes through with attrition and no rules changes…what was the fucking point? A tantrum?

Yeah, pretty much.  It’s theater to show they’re still with their base of loonies and will get the usual ass pats from the fringes.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Master-Debater131 said:

Will be interesting to see what happens next. Some of these holdouts have been very clear that they will never vote for McCarthy. Is that true? Or are they just fundraising off of this? McCarthy still may be forced to work with Dems to get across the finish line.

They are voting to adjourn until 10 EST right now.

I've seen/heard that this time it might actually be for real 

• Haha 2

There was a whole choreographed bit where Gaetz held until the last minute, then voted present instead of against McCarthy, and it looks like they did their math wrong so McCarthy has 216 votes instead of the 217 votes he needed to win.

McCarthy walked back there and there was a bit of shouting back and forth, some Congressman grabbed another Congressman's face before the camera panned away.

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Raptorpat said:

they did their math wrong so McCarthy has 216 votes instead of the 217 votes he needed to win.

McCarthy fails #14, they are voting to adjourn until tomorrow.

All things equal, all ne heed to do is convince one more holdout to vote present instead of against him and that's the half-vote he needs to lower the threshold to win.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Farful said:

You 

Well Gorsh..

My guy, I'm genuinely confused about your posts in this thread. Are you actually talking in some way to some degree about the actual thread topic or just off-topic shitposting? I genuinely can't tell so I don't know how to respond. 

9 minutes ago, Raptorpat said:

My guy, I'm genuinely confused about your posts in this thread. Are you actually talking in some way to some degree about the actual thread topic or just off-topic shitposting? I genuinely can't tell so I don't know how to respond. 

This McArthy thread is becoming my personal medkit. Every time the action gets going, I’m going to let the bastards grind me down. I know at least one person due for some healing and this shitshow of a politics thread lovingly derailed by likenesses and theories that are thoroughly fictional and for the purpose of exploitation perpetuated through crassness and ignorance.

• Confused 1

36 minutes ago, Raptorpat said:

McCarthy fails #14, they are voting to adjourn until tomorrow.

All things equal, all ne heed to do is convince one more holdout to vote present instead of against him and that's the half-vote he needs to lower the threshold to win.

Biggs just flipped from 'no' to 'present' and all else the same as #14, that is theoretically enough to finally give it to McCarthy.