UnevenEdge

Elon Musk now owns Twitter, apparently trying to run it into the ground

Jman

10 hours ago, Master-Debater131 said:

I know everyone is saying that Twitter is just going to up and vanish one day, but I don't see it. That kind of talk feels way to much like Y2K to me.

It may have bugs, but its just far too big for it to just collapse and turn off.

I've literally never seen a company this big crash this fast and embarrassingly.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, naraku360 said:

I've literally never seen a company this big crash this fast and embarrassingly.

I was thinking about this just a bit ago. Like. Will we ever witness something like this again? There's definitely a faint feeling of "living through history" here. It's hard to imagine any other social platform going out like this. They'll typically wax and wane as new trends emerge. I can't think of very much else that could crash so spectacularly unless something like Google went down in flames.

There's gonna be whole chapters dedicated to the monumentally bad decisions made through this in business management courses and who knows what else. And I'm absolutely loving how this is making some circles take a closer look and wonder if this management style is also present in his other companies/ventures.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, naraku360 said:

I thought it would take him four months minimum to reach this point. I was definitely wrong. Too many artists/writers are scrambling right now trying to adjust to Twitter suddenly being gone or being unusable in a shorter time period than anyone expected. People will lose money because the reach you had with Twitter won't be replicated with a combination of other social sites. This is a terrible time for it to happen too because folks are already struggling. Twitter is the easiest way to find black writers which was important because with TikTok's racist ass site gaining more popularity as a marketing tool for books, it was the only way to fight against TikTok shoving more white authors to the forefont which has affected publishing decisions and displays in book stores recently.

This is also a nightmare for disabled folks who could only get money for medical stuff through Twitter. Instagram really isn't helpful with that, and I don't know how successful this type of stuff is on Facebook.

Looking beyond twitter as well, and can't help but think there's almost certainly no chance any other platform could even handle a mass migration without buckling under the strain. Probably some few out there (like Mastadon) might be hoping to catch some of that fleeing audience, but I can't imagine they've got the infrastructure already in place to handle a huge influx. Probably also some start-ups out there looking to make their own version, everyone's going to want a piece. Lotta places might be dumping resources into any means of capturing even a fraction of that user base. Lots of investments that, realistically speaking, won't pan out except for maybe a few that manage to do enough right and get the right attention to draw in the crowds.

No telling what the internet landscape will look like in just a few years' time. But, I suppose that's kinda always been true. Shame xkcd never kept going with his series of online communities.

9 minutes ago, rpgamer said:

Looking beyond twitter as well, and can't help but think there's almost certainly no chance any other platform could even handle a mass migration without buckling under the strain. Probably some few out there (like Mastadon) might be hoping to catch some of that fleeing audience, but I can't imagine they've got the infrastructure already in place to handle a huge influx. Probably also some start-ups out there looking to make their own version, everyone's going to want a piece. Lotta places might be dumping resources into any means of capturing even a fraction of that user base. Lots of investments that, realistically speaking, won't pan out except for maybe a few that manage to do enough right and get the right attention to draw in the crowds.

No telling what the internet landscape will look like in just a few years' time. But, I suppose that's kinda always been true. Shame xkcd never kept going with his series of online communities.

There are a lot of apps that are popping up now. Cohost, Post, Pillow fort, that all seem a lot better than Mastodon. I think it's just going to be a big dispersal across many small communities. I don't think that's so bad. Plus you have Discord to preserve Twitter friend circles/follower communities

Nah. Dispersal is almost necessary until communities capable of building up support for a massive user base shake out. But, as pointed out, discoverability on twitter was a huge deal. Content creators across the spectrum utilized it to some degree. Small isolated communities will never recreate that, so, entirely possible there will always be some small push back towards getting everyone on one large network.

But, for a while, we're back in that state of increased competition driving innovation and potentially reimagining what online interactions will look like in the near future.

• Like 2

On 11/18/2022 at 9:09 AM, matrixman124 said:

great thread about everything that can go wrong now 

Huh, no idea who this person is but she has me blocked. 

Screenshot_20221119-100817.thumb.png.f594c9f416c883c3d0f735d5b6dbb5ae.png

Screenshot_20221119-100825.thumb.png.0ae465d610e2b097bcdbce24e12636ba.png

Gonna have to assume she was anti-Bernie in 2016 or 2020, or maybe she used a tool to auto-block all followers of someone she doesn't like.  Nothing else makes sense

Edited by NewBluntsworth

7 hours ago, matrixman124 said:

There are a lot of apps that are popping up now. Cohost, Post, Pillow fort, that all seem a lot better than Mastodon. I think it's just going to be a big dispersal across many small communities. I don't think that's so bad. Plus you have Discord to preserve Twitter friend circles/follower communities

This is nice thinking, but too many times it doesn't work out. The draw of Twitter was not having to be in solid groups and having more freedom to say what you want and to enter/leave spaces whenever you wanted without consequences. Cracks in groups start showing in the leadership from the very beginning(disabilities groups are already running into this with suspected NWL's starting discords and groups on Mastodon) by how they want peple to communicate in ways no one feels uncomfortable. This leads to too many instances where minorities end up being silenced for the general 'peace'. With the exeption of a few discord groups run by other authors(where only my writing brain needs are met), everywhere else turns into a shit show.

Black spaces - homophobia, some anti-Semitism, hatred of black women, transphobia, fatphobia

Queer spaces - Fatphobia, misogyny, transphobia, hatred of black women, racism, ableism

Disability spaces - ableism, misogyny, fatphobia, racism, classism

Female spaces - racism, fatphobia, targeted attacks on black women, classism, transphobia, homophobia, moralism, ableism

Male spaces - too many to list

I am done finding another group or whatever. Absolutely done with it. I'm sticking with what I have now and if they die out, then that's that.

7 hours ago, rpgamer said:

Nah. Dispersal is almost necessary until communities capable of building up support for a massive user base shake out. But, as pointed out, discoverability on twitter was a huge deal. Content creators across the spectrum utilized it to some degree. Small isolated communities will never recreate that, so, entirely possible there will always be some small push back towards getting everyone on one large network.

But, for a while, we're back in that state of increased competition driving innovation and potentially reimagining what online interactions will look like in the near future.

Out of paranoia, I make up names for the social media sites in my books. I still didn't think it was a real possiblity Twitter might go down within a year's time.

2 hours ago, DragonSinger said:

Out of paranoia, I make up names for the social media sites in my books. I still didn't think it was a real possiblity Twitter might go down within a year's time.

"twatter" "boople" "boopr" "myfacepage" "dikdok" "dabchat" "skypee"

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Raptorpat said:

I can't find the clip offhand, but he was asked about it at a press conference and he basically said he wouldn't need to go back to twitter because everyone's going to truth social

Trump?  A raging hypocrite?  You think? [/s]

Musk will quickly discover how letting people say wtf they want on a private platform will lead to awful results and law suits against him and the company.  I know he doesn’t gaf what anyone says as long as it’s not about him 

people act like regulating speech is an unheard of thing like the FCC and standards and practices don’t exist in this country 🙄

• Like 5

Once Twitter becomes home to right wing trash people and other conservatives that’s all that’s gonna be posted. How will the extreme content be pushed down or wtf he’s planning if all there is are plots, Nazis and conspiracies posts?  I guess the bright side is the FBI and DHS will have an easier time catching and watching these clowns. Musk would probably take credit for their capture anyway claiming he wanted Twitter to turn into a hellscape so all the bad guys can be observed on a single platform 

Adam Sandler Adult Humor GIF

• Haha 3

Musk can’t understand how the things people say can be damaging unless he himself has been affected. Case in point Musk not allowing Alex Jones back because Musk had his infant child die in his arms. Alex Jones using his “free speech” to create conspiracy theories about Sandy Hook is the bridge too far.  That’s despicable speech but only cuz he can relate 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, 1pooh4u said:

Musk can’t understand how the things people say can be damaging unless he himself has been affected. Case in point Musk not allowing Alex Jones back because Musk had his infant child die in his arms. Alex Jones using his “free speech” to create conspiracy theories about Sandy Hook is the bridge too far.  That’s despicable speech but only cuz he can relate 

There is no other way to describe it than Elon Musk's moral compass has completely failed him.  His actions are almost universally amoral and, yet, he acts with the conviction of someone who has a strong moral guidance.  It's disturbing, really.

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, scoobdog said:

There is no other way to describe it than Elon Musk's moral compass has completely failed him.  His actions are almost universally amoral and, yet, he acts with the conviction of someone who has a strong moral guidance.  It's disturbing, really.

I don’t think it’s possible for him to have a true moral compass because he lacks the ability to think and feel outside of his own experiences 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

3 minutes ago, 1pooh4u said:

I don’t think it’s possible for him to have a true moral compass because he lacks the ability to think and feel outside of his own experiences 

Even people with extremely low EQ can have a moral compass - you don't need to empathize with other people to understand the objective elements of social interaction.  Morality is not a replacement for empathy; that's how entities like the Catholic Church have been able to survive for as long as they have despite extensive histories of profoundly amoral behavior.  On that point, there's no question that Elon Musk lacks empathy, and that's how his off-kilter moral compass is allowed to lead him places that cause pain and anguish for lots of people.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, 1pooh4u said:

And the sad thing is he has a daughter who's trans(disowned him) and he's kiki-ing with Libsoftiktok. So he don't even care about his living kids.

• Thanks 4

41 minutes ago, DragonSinger said:

And the sad thing is he has a daughter who's trans(disowned him) and he's kiki-ing with Libsoftiktok. So he don't even care about his living kids.

He has a lot of kids and seems to have a distant relationship with them. The guy is 51 and is going through a midlife crisis instead of just spending time with his family and going to therapy.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, matrixman124 said:

He has a lot of kids and seems to have a distant relationship with them. The guy is 51 and is going through a midlife crisis instead of just spending time with his family and going to therapy.

Considering his family history, it's probably for the best all around if all his kids stay as far away from him as possible. 

He might try to make more kids with them. :| 

• Like 4

6 hours ago, scoobdog said:

Even people with extremely low EQ can have a moral compass - you don't need to empathize with other people to understand the objective elements of social interaction.  Morality is not a replacement for empathy; that's how entities like the Catholic Church have been able to survive for as long as they have despite extensive histories of profoundly amoral behavior.  On that point, there's no question that Elon Musk lacks empathy, and that's how his off-kilter moral compass is allowed to lead him places that cause pain and anguish for lots of people.

Empathy might not always directly lead to morality but you do need empathy to be more nuanced when it comes to human interaction,  to know what’s fundamentally right and wrong takes not only morals but some degree of empathy to navigate any given situation.  It’s rare that empathy would interfere with morality but not so rare to see amoral people lacking it. It’s what makes the untreated psychopath potentially dangerous they have no ability to understand the human condition beyond themselves. They have to be taught how to properly interact with others 

When it comes to Musk, if it doesn’t create an emotional reaction in him specifically he’s gonna allow it. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, 1pooh4u said:

Empathy might not always directly lead to morality but you do need empathy to be more nuanced when it comes to human interaction,  to know what’s fundamentally right and wrong takes not only morals but some degree of empathy to navigate any given situation.  It’s rare that empathy would interfere with morality but not so rare to see amoral people lacking it. It’s what makes the untreated psychopath potentially dangerous they have no ability to understand the human condition beyond themselves. They have to be taught how to properly interact with others 

When it comes to Musk, if it doesn’t create an emotional reaction in him specifically he’s gonna allow it. 

Exactly.  A better way to look at it is that morality exists to emulate empathy, to essentially cover for our limitations as humans:  it’s a how-to-be-nice handbook for people who don’t want to be or simply can’t be nice. Narcissists, sociopaths and psychopaths, of which quite a few idolized celebrities number, have the ability to use morality to cover for their deficiencies.   Steve Jobs, a notoriously awful person who nonetheless built a star struck following, had capable people at Apple around him to be his moral compass.  Mother Theresa had Roman Catholic catechism.  Elon Musk has neither.

As to why those who build cults of personalities are the same who lack empathy, the psychological ramifications are hard to pin down partially because the reasons we develop as adults without empathy vary.  

5 hours ago, Poofy said:

i guess we'll finally find out if it's true that every tweet gets recorded in the library of congress

This is why I don’t care that they’re “destroying evidence” TLoC claims to have all of his tweets and I’m sure someone somewhere has screenshots of Trump’s word vomit too

there’s plenty of news footage that showed those tweets as well. They can’t destroy what’s been recorded to history 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1