UnevenEdge

Elon Musk now owns Twitter, apparently trying to run it into the ground

Jman

4 minutes ago, Jman said:

It's almost like Twitter was a bad investment.

It's a good investment but no one has a proper plan to monetize it or work with creatives to make interaction better on the site. There just aren't many people who are qualified to run a gigantic social network among those who have the money to do it either. These sites are being run by small-minded assholes who possess little empathy and believe their near sociopathic beliefs should be shared by the world because they're such big-brained people. People like that will never tap into social media's true potential.

3 hours ago, DragonSinger said:

It's a good investment but no one has a proper plan to monetize it or work with creatives to make interaction better on the site. There just aren't many people who are qualified to run a gigantic social network among those who have the money to do it either. These sites are being run by small-minded assholes who possess little empathy and believe their near sociopathic beliefs should be shared by the world because they're such big-brained people. People like that will never tap into social media's true potential.

I personally think it's not possible to sustain a scalable social network platform. You run into major moderation and monetization issues where it's not sustainable or lucrative.

• Thanks 1

56 minutes ago, matrixman124 said:

I personally think it's not possible to sustain a scalable social network platform. You run into major moderation and monetization issues where it's not sustainable or lucrative.

I would probably skew more towards that view if anyone competent ran those sites or hired anyone willing to actually spend time on them to even know what the environment is like. Twitter staff were loud and proud about rarely using the site because they have lives and aren't into social media like that. 

36 minutes ago, DragonSinger said:

I would probably skew more towards that view if anyone competent ran those sites or hired anyone willing to actually spend time on them to even know what the environment is like. Twitter staff were loud and proud about rarely using the site because they have lives and aren't into social media like that. 

Twitter is always going to be unprofitable for the simple fact that it can't be a platform that can protect free / open speech, diligently ban hate speech / misinformation, and still monetize its services.  Once you introduce monetized services, you give priority to "voices" that can pay which, in turn, means you're giving priority to those that are on the platform to market products.

52 minutes ago, scoobdog said:

Twitter is always going to be unprofitable for the simple fact that it can't be a platform that can protect free / open speech, diligently ban hate speech / misinformation, and still monetize its services.  Once you introduce monetized services, you give priority to "voices" that can pay which, in turn, means you're giving priority to those that are on the platform to market products.

Very true and this is why Musk is slowly killing it. Either way he does win though. He'll make money from the blue checkmarks willing to play ball or he'll lose it all and write it off on his taxes.

13 minutes ago, scoobdog said:

I think it is a problem if you're trying to monetize it like Muskrat. There are a lot of opportunities outside of basic functionality/security to make money responsibly without pissing off users if those ideas are implemented by people who understand the site and have enough foresight to avoid unethical pitfalls. But the people at the top have to fully understand the strengths of social media, know the different cultures on it, and know why people spend money or what they're already paying for through third parties because Twitter themselves cannot provide those services right now. Twitter is a great concept but it is wasted on owners who have no idea what the fuck they're doing.

2 minutes ago, DragonSinger said:

I think it is a problem if you're trying to monetize it like Muskrat. There are a lot of opportunities outside of basic functionality/security to make money responsibly without pissing off users if those ideas are implemented by people who understand the site and have enough foresight to avoid unethical pitfalls. But the people at the top have to fully understand the strengths of social media, know the different cultures on it, and know why people spend money or what they're already paying for through third parties because Twitter themselves cannot provide those services right now. Twitter is a great concept but it is wasted on owners who have no idea what the fuck they're doing.

Monetization itself is the problem.  It doesn't really cost you anything to talk to someone face to face, and there is built in social norms that allow for that other person to police your speech without a third party monitoring it.  Adding that third person, a necessary step, creates overhead in what should be a completely free process.  That's not to say that Elon is competent because he isn't, but the only real system that works is one that prioritizes cultured promotion.

45 minutes ago, scoobdog said:

Monetization itself is the problem.  It doesn't really cost you anything to talk to someone face to face, and there is built in social norms that allow for that other person to police your speech without a third party monitoring it.  Adding that third person, a necessary step, creates overhead in what should be a completely free process.  That's not to say that Elon is competent because he isn't, but the only real system that works is one that prioritizes cultured promotion.

1 hour ago, DragonSinger said:

There are a lot of opportunities outside of basic functionality/security to make money responsibly without pissing off users

There are services that people want beyond these type of things that they will pay for and are already paying for through third parties. Things that take a lot of work and require knowledge of how to parse through Twitter's data to fulfill those personal needs. I'm talking about Twitter cutting out those third parties by hiring people who can provide those services themselves for probably a cheaper fee because they work for the site. Everyone doesn't use social media the same way. If you're working in any entertainment medium, social media is part of your business, so you need a lot more options than the average user. Twitter only offers a few options because like I said before, their own staff don't even use the site enough to know what to provide or how to provide those services.

5 minutes ago, DragonSinger said:

There are services that people want beyond these type of things that they will pay for and are already paying for through third parties. Things that take a lot of work and require knowledge of how to parse through Twitter's data to fulfill those personal needs. I'm talking about Twitter cutting out those third parties by hiring people who can provide those services themselves for probably a cheaper fee because they work for the site. Everyone doesn't use social media the same way. If you're working in any entertainment medium, social media is part of your business, so you need a lot more options than the average user. Twitter only offers a few options because like I said before, their own staff don't even use the site enough to know what to provide or how to provide those services.

What services are you thinking?  Obviously, my use for social media is limited so I'm going to have a myopic appraisal of its potential.

1 hour ago, scoobdog said:

What services are you thinking?  Obviously, my use for social media is limited so I'm going to have a myopic appraisal of its potential.

Social media packages, fan events, contests, hiring events, live watch events, live streaming, launch events, training for building your platform, and some other stuff I'm too tired to articulate. Doing this stuff personally is time-consuming. If you have the money, social media managers, consultants, and assistants perform those tasks. If Twitter had their shit together, I believe they could handle a lot of those tasks in a more streamlined manner and cheaper.

1 hour ago, DragonSinger said:

Social media packages, fan events, contests, hiring events, live watch events, live streaming, launch events, training for building your platform, and some other stuff I'm too tired to articulate. Doing this stuff personally is time-consuming. If you have the money, social media managers, consultants, and assistants perform those tasks. If Twitter had their shit together, I believe they could handle a lot of those tasks in a more streamlined manner and cheaper.

So, essentially, social media companies providing public relations resource tools.    It makes perfect sense, but you’re also talking an entirely different skill set than anything in the tech industry.  The right ownership group could really make a killling doing this.

7 hours ago, scoobdog said:

So, essentially, social media companies providing public relations resource tools.    It makes perfect sense, but you’re also talking an entirely different skill set than anything in the tech industry.  The right ownership group could really make a killling doing this.

I think the only kind of good social media platform is a free one. Once you try to implement any kind of monetization model, it starts a steady decline.

The whole point of the verification check was to know if a well-known person was legit. Now that anyone can get it for a fee, it rather defeats its purpose. Now thousands of profiles can claim to be a celebrity while pushing for crypto and NFTs.

Grade-A idea, I see a bright future for twitter. Truly a bastion of free speech unfettered by corporate greed.

• Thanks 2

37 minutes ago, André Toulon said:

Well.,..free at the cost of privacy...nothing is free

But see that's the thing, it's still transactional. That's still a monetization model because 3rd party companies are paying for that end user data. Any monetization model corrupts a social media network, especially if it hopes to scale up. Ideally you'd want a public square app to be a public service, and that's never going to happen.

1 hour ago, matrixman124 said:

People are still gonna simp for this gigantic man child piece of shit talking about “how many hours do you think Elon must put in?”  They’ll completely miss the point that HE’S GOT THE BILLIONS TO SHOW FOR HIS WORK why should someone making not even a percent of what he makes work 84 hour work weeks?  It’s all about working hard unless you’re the business owners then it’s everyone else has to work hard so you don’t have to

• Like 2

3 hours ago, matrixman124 said:

I think the only kind of good social media platform is a free one. Once you try to implement any kind of monetization model, it starts a steady decline.

What Sorce is talking about is actually a parallel business model.  It's more or less a separate business that is itself entirely pay while the social media side is "free" with bare-boned services.  Instead of selling user analytics to third party marketing entities, those analytics are only accessible to Twitter's in house marketing where clients can reach Twitter's massive user base. 

• Like 1

I imagine a frappuccino, even to those that hate Starbucks, would bring greater joy for ninety percent of people than a fucking checkmark on a precarious website. This is especially considering the people that should be having the checkmark will probably be soon leaving en masse.

Edited by Insipid

On 11/1/2022 at 5:06 AM, matrixman124 said:

And this is exactly why Twitter is fucked. Elon thinks everyone has the same relationship with Twitter that he does. "I paid 44 billion so what's 20 bucks a month?"

Just want to note that 20 bucks is more than a monthly streaming subscription. Even 8 bucks is ridiculous.

Lol at Elon trying to negotiate with random celebrities to keep them on his shit[tier] Twitter.

52 minutes ago, Insipid said:

I imagine a frappuccino, even to those that hate Starbucks, would bring greater joy for ninety percent of people than a fucking checkmark on a precarious website. This is especially considering the people that should be having the checkmark will probably be soon leaving en masse.

Tumblr just reversed its nudity ban

• Like 1

7 hours ago, matrixman124 said:

But see that's the thing, it's still transactional. That's still a monetization model because 3rd party companies are paying for that end user data. Any monetization model corrupts a social media network, especially if it hopes to scale up. Ideally you'd want a public square app to be a public service, and that's never going to happen.

all this "public square" nonsense is nonsense. The internet itself is the public square.

• Thanks 2

4 hours ago, scoobdog said:

What Sorce is talking about is actually a parallel business model.  It's more or less a separate business that is itself entirely pay while the social media side is "free" with bare-boned services.  Instead of selling user analytics to third party marketing entities, those analytics are only accessible to Twitter's in house marketing where clients can reach Twitter's massive user base. 

There are also improvements like saving tweets in a way they can be easily accessible or categorized whenever for free plus a more sophisticated model that users would be willing to pay a monthly fee for. Like regular users can have nice things while Twitter still makes a profit off those who are already using Twitter as part of their business.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, DragonSinger said:

There are also improvements like saving tweets in a way they can be easily accessible or categorized whenever for free plus a more sophisticated model that users would be willing to pay a monthly fee for. Like regular users can have nice things while Twitter still makes a profit off those who are already using Twitter as part of their business.

Well, giving average free users better control of how they organize their tweets would be an extremely valuable asset to the paid analytical services, for sure.  There is something to be said about keeping the expression side of the equation free, which limits how much you can monetize aggregation, but, at the same time you can have two different apps to handle the same data that would make it easy to make the delineation.