UnevenEdge

stuck at home....

discolé monade

48 minutes ago, discole monade said:

i have to get a phone. this will be the 4th one in 5 years XD. i won't give this one away. 

i'll check out that site as well.  i have an electric board, but that just sits in the closet. i want an upright, (it's the only thing that will fit in the house)

and i took french and spanish 3 years each, but can't remember shite. i was going to start on spanish. 

i want to learn japanese. but i think i'll stick to latin based first. XD

and anytime you need help on a crochet project, let me know. 

Definitely check it out! It's the first time I've looked at his site in a while, it looks like he added more lessons and even some music theory, I don't remember that being there before. 

If you decide to get an upright do more research than I did when I got my digital piano. I love it but the sound isn't exactly like a grand piano, if I spent 100 more on it I could have gotten a Yamaha with a more realistic sound 😓  

Spanish is always good, that was my first language 😎 Japanese would be neat to learn too, that's next on my list 

And thanks, I will 👍

• Like 1

busy busy. stay busy. 

so, i ran out of elastic. what do?

take a fitted sheet that was too small for my daughters bed, and make her curtains AND take the elastic. 

so...now i have material for other stuff (not mask, the sheets are too soft), over 6ft of elastic, and the daughter has 'new' curtains for her son's room. 

I have been as unmotivated as hell. But, I did plant tomatoes that are doing great. 

Turned on the ol' Xbox for the first time in a long time, and am actually playing a game for the first time in a few years. 

Still trying to be inventive in the kitchen.

That's about it.

wife and kids are raising monarch butterflies...well, wife's aunt is raising them in her garden, and she gave the boys a few caterpillars to raise at our house. they found a pile of eggs at the in-laws, and wife's aunt always collects the eggs every summer, raises the caterpillars, and then releases the butterflies after they break out of their chrysalis. it gives them a greater survival rate than growing in the wild, and the kids get a good free science experiment out of it as well.

IMG_20200720_200953.thumb.jpg.79354cf7928774de0dcbb76198eb7215.jpg

yes, that's poop to the right. these things eat milkweed like mad, and poop what i can only assume is their entire body weight in shit every day. it's like, almost disturbing how much they poop.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 7/29/2020 at 5:56 PM, new_disease said:

It's been a week since you admit you haven't practiced, time to get back on your back disco ☝️

I haven't done much crochet but I'm hoping to finish a little something later today. I started it a few days ago but then gave up to play vidya games 

i will. tomorrow. promise. 

finishing up bowzer, ther's a lot of little bits to sew. 

Got our first monarch today.

Screenshot_20200803-141042.thumb.png.e60d09476928b72fbe3b7034164f10c1.png

4 more in chrysalis, and 5 caterpillars we just hatched last week that should enter chrysalis in maybe 10 days. I have a video also, of a cat entering chrysalis, that I'll have to add to YouTube sometime and bring a link here. It's freaking weird.

Edited by wacky1980
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

down to the last bits with bowzer. he's been...extreme. SO many parts to sew on. SEW many. >.>

118167145_2893018557464603_5028413369351

118038519_2893018554131270_3286104559115

i have 2 shawl w/pockets to make,  1 more yoshi, and then my next venture: batik.

i may be getting in on a venture with another friend. there's a boutique in town that wants local crafts (my friend makes soaps, jams, sauces)

so, i think i may try my hand at some unique aprons (not so unique, using the japanese apron style)and vintage style. which is where the batik comes into play. 

i know the first few runs will look like crap, but pretty excited. 

no, i have not practiced my guitar, and i feel crappy about it. 

• Like 3

15 hours ago, discole monade said:

down to the last bits with bowzer. he's been...extreme. SO many parts to sew on. SEW many. >.>

118167145_2893018557464603_5028413369351

118038519_2893018554131270_3286104559115

i have 2 shawl w/pockets to make,  1 more yoshi, and then my next venture: batik.

i may be getting in on a venture with another friend. there's a boutique in town that wants local crafts (my friend makes soaps, jams, sauces)

so, i think i may try my hand at some unique aprons (not so unique, using the japanese apron style)and vintage style. which is where the batik comes into play. 

i know the first few runs will look like crap, but pretty excited. 

no, i have not practiced my guitar, and i feel crappy about it. 

I was all set to give this post a 'like', and then I read this. >:( 😜

• Sad 1

I usually spend my down time playing video games and winding down at night put on some music or podcast with a bowl or two maybe some Captain Crunch ceral. I try to change it up here and there but for the most part that is what I been doing to keep the boredom at bay.

• Like 1

remodeling furniture - just finished an antique vanity for my partner. sanded. painted black. all parts except one leg are all original. looks slick, and i know she'll love it when she gets it this xmas. 

working on her dresser, not an antique but its solid walnut. its a big boi and i was planning on redoing the framework in order to place modern leggings on it. for now, just sanding, painting, replacing knobs/handles with modern parts. if she reaaaaaally wants those leggings...i guess i'll build the new frame for the leggings...but that big boi will be as tall as me if i do all that just for leggings. im 6 1 btw

after that, if we win a bid on a cedar chest for the living room, rinse and repeat. it's good to stay busy!

edit: oh and i still need to sand and stain that huge papasan chair we have...at least the lawn will be done by today. 

Edited by NNN
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

finishing up 'yoshi'. finally almost done with this baby gift. 

also working on the pocketed shawl. it's a waffle stitch, and it's so pretty, but man..this is taking way more time.

next up is a long sweater (probably mid calf length) hooded sweater,

and i was just asked to make slipcovers for some outdoor furniture. looks like we'll be cleaning out the shed to make room

for my workspace. i won't be sewing out there, but there's a long table for cutting i can use. 

honestly i would love to demolish that shed and put up something new. (my she~shed) :)

• Like 2

Week 2 of remote learning. Much better than the contingency planless that was last year, but it still sucks - Dexter can't be trusted alone with the internet, so he has to work in the kitchen, which means that I get to do 3rd grade again.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/21/2020 at 8:25 AM, mthor said:

Week 2 of remote learning. Much better than the contingency planless that was last year, but it still sucks - Dexter can't be trusted alone with the internet, so he has to work in the kitchen, which means that I get to do 3rd grade again.

Virtual Kindergarten is taking a toll on my mom XD

She is so fucking tired of those kids in the miniature's class. 

• Haha 2

4 minutes ago, Vamped said:

Virtual Kindergarten is taking a toll on my mom XD

She is so fucking tired of those kids in the miniature's class. 

i am hearing all kinds of things about that. 

accidental naked parents.

kids getting suspended for having their bb gun in the background. 

our little dude is breezing through 1st grade. and not to sound arrogant, but he may have to move faster and go on to 2nd by the end of the semester. 

i dont' want him to get bored, and not like school. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, discole monade said:

i am hearing all kinds of things about that. 

accidental naked parents.

kids getting suspended for having their bb gun in the background. 

our little dude is breezing through 1st grade. and not to sound arrogant, but he may have to move faster and go on to 2nd by the end of the semester. 

i dont' want him to get bored, and not like school. 

So when you dont have a parent supervisin,g the kids have to mute and unmute themselves and the tablets get stuck so ... its been quite a few instances of parents and daycare workers talking plenty shit in the background and the whole class coming to a standstill because the teacher cant teach over people arguing 

Like some real concerning conversations and the kids and the teacher is just sitting there like .... WTF

Just now, Vamped said:

So when you dont have a parent supervisin,g the kids have to mute and unmute themselves and the tablets get stuck so ... its been quite a few instances of parents and daycare workers talking plenty shit in the background and the whole class coming to a standstill because the teacher cant teach over people arguing 

Like some real concerning conversations and the kids and the teacher is just sitting there like .... WTF

oh wow. 

but not surprised.

• 3 weeks later...

I once had a friend tell me that the reason that dealing with kids gets on my nerves was from the years I spent in the ER. In his words, "The way you're used to dealing with other people's kids is to restrain them or sedate them."

And it's true, even with Dexter and DeeDee. At this point, I question whether all three of us will survive long distance learning; Covid is starting to look less and less threatening as opposed to being stuck in the house with the kids until June. And at least when one is on a vent, one gets hard drugs.

On 10/10/2020 at 8:54 PM, Vamped said:

i wish my teachers could've seen what I had to deal w/at home

so i finished that dresser, and it looks ok. she liked the white wash look so whatever. i was planning 4 coats so that saved me time. then i worked on another dresser that had 9 flippen drawers! that one took a while longer than hers...now she wants mine now lol. papasan is done, and working on the last vanity for my mom. i wish she would make up her mind what color she wants since i have nothing to do tomorrow. oh, and i didn't win the bid for that cedar chest. nuts.

it's been very busy these last 6 weeks, with the wedding and vacationing, and all, but i wish i had more to do...

working on a french drain too, and i feel stronger for it, but...i feel like all my projects are drying up which worries me. 

i need to find more furniture or something because this winter looks like a mighty dry spell. i need to stay busy or she's going to force me to start knitting...

• 4 weeks later...

i officially have no projects until next month. out of desperation im picking up 2 pos bedside tables that match for 10 bucks tomorrow. they will be sanded and painted by the end of the day. 

i can feel the knitting coming...sob...

23 hours ago, Doom Metal Alchemist said:

Awesome! I wish I learned to play the recorder when I was a kid. I tried learning in my 30s, but it didn't take.

As for the shrill screeching, as long as she understands, "hum, not blow" you should be fine.

It's not Dexter's squeaking I'm worried about - I've been through that before. It's the online music class that has me cringing in anticipation - can you imagine 20 of them all at once? 

• Haha 2

• 1 month later...

getting started on the big electric brewery build this weekend. first step is cutting a bunch of holes into a big steel enclosure for the control panel. got my patterns all put together and ready, and bought up a bunch of hole saws for all the different cuts. i could probably save a bunch of time and frustration by taking the box and patterns to a local cnc shop to let them chew it up, but that's not very diy so fuck that.

• Like 1

been doing so many things. 

currently finishing up cushions for outdoor furniture (client), making 40 masks (donation), gearing up to do some indoor 'remodeling' (just paint and new floor, hopefully tile in the bathroom/diy, 

and this for a week (or so) until the usual volunteer that does kittens can take them (when they all eat from a bowl ), syringe feeding them formula, and they are almost at the point of just eating 

out of the bowl. 

144119702_3328667317233056_3706582306348

143297544_3328667300566391_6165675308804

• Like 3

8 hours ago, scoobdog said:

We bottle feed our kitten this year.  She really saved the year for us.

it has been so rewarding. i found them outside the animal shelter i volunteer at. i was pisssed. they were cold, quiet and so hungry and scared. 

i put them in the cat room while i did my morning 'chores', i called the director to let her know, and she was too nervous to leave them, 

and asked if i would consider being a foster mom. i've never had to do this ever in my life, and i knew mid wouldn't be keen on the idea (and he wasn't)

she stated 'only until the cat foster mom can take them (when they can eat of the bowl on thier own), i said let's see how they do when you come for your lunch round. 

well...i got a call just as i got home begging me to take them. and i had to work on mid. he was livid.....

for about a half a day, but he started helping me, keeping them entertained while i nursed each one. 

they are thriving now, and all eat from the bowl, a few still want that forumula...but they won't be here much longer. 

only problem now? is that i KNOW i'll be called for nursing kittens. 

(like i'm mad about that. XD )

• Like 2
  • Haha 1