UnevenEdge

Rate The Last Movie You Saw

StarPanda

• 1 month later...

Those Magnificent Men in their Flying Machines - 7/10.

Good movie but I liked the first five minutes of the movie the most. After the title sequence it gets pretty boring

for awhile.  I liked it but I don't understand how people liked this movie more than The Great Race.  Doesn't make sense to me at all.

I'm going to have the title song stuck in my head for days.

The Addams Family 2. 8/10 A cute movie for kids. Our son loved it.

Antebellum. 6/10 Meh. Predictable. 

Big Trouble in Little China. 10/10 Awesome and cheesy at the same time.

Shadow in the Cloud. 8/10 Wasn't expecting much from this one, but surprisingly, it was pretty entertaining. 

Westworld. 9/10 You can't go wrong with Yul Brynner. 

George of the Jungle 9/10 (Super funny. Really broke the heck out of the fourth wall in this. I love Brendan Fraser, so surprised somehow I never happened to see this one before.)
Surf's Up 7/10
Black Widow 9/10 (Maybe not the greatest, but still pretty awesome. Seems like Marvel just can't lose.)
Cruella 10/10 (That was simply mahvelous! Totally my favorite disney reboot movie now for sure.)
F9 8/10 (Wanted to give it 9/10, but I didn't feel like it was quite as good as most of the other recent installments, so...)
Free Guy 9/10 (Guy vs Dude. xD'Nuff said.)
The Hitman's Bodyguard 9/10 (More Ryan Reynolds? Yes please.)
The HItman's Wife's Bodyguard 7/10 (Didn't enjoy this one as much as I did the first. Felt like the insanity got taken maybe just a little too far? I don't know. I will admit though, the ending still had me in stitches.)
Hellfest 6/10 (Kind of a basic, predictable slasher horror film, but I liked it.)

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Luca 9/10
Space Jam: A New Legacy 8/10 (Not a Lebron fan, but I still really enjoyed this.)
The Suicide Squad 8/10 (Pretty ridiculous still, but certainly much more entertaining than the other version, I'll give it that.)
Don't Breathe 2 9/10 (Who says sequels can't be as good or better than the original?)
Jungle Cruise 8/10
Snake Eyes 8/10

• 3 weeks later...

Matrix Resurrections

8/10

Some action scenes were weak, it was waaaaay too meta (I hate that word on principle, but this movie exemplifies the concept), and shit got dense. But the story is fun, it tugs all the nostalgia strings, and the new characters do an ok job of filling in the vacant slots. I didn't think I'd like it as much as I did. It's solidly the 2nd best film of the franchise.

Some quick reactions to my week of indulgence in cinema ぜネ院

Spiderman: Now Way Home - Fuck yes. Gets the job done. Sony's grip on the Spidey movies has been a positive it looks like since they actually use techniques to keep you gripped like, idk, TWISTS. Peter's hubris bites him in the ass and causes this installment to be a tragedy. A few to many one-line quips in the middle act, but otherwise one of the better flicks in the MCU. Give it 36 inches of Thanos/10.

The Tragedy Of Macbeth - Macbeth was always my favorite Shakespeare play and this is the definitive movie version. Fuckin British-ass 50's set pieces. I think even the voices and SFX were mixed in mono. Fuck yes. A24 as FUCK. Violent as shit. The witches are transcendent. 12 "Scottish Plays"/broken legs.

Red Rocket - Dethroned Dune as movie of the year for me. Mother of God. Hadn't seen this ulcer-piercing of a ride since Uncut Gems. Watch it blind, glad the media-illiterate "Internet Discourse" actively searching for a new Hays Code is keeping this safe by having Licorice Pizza run in front of it like a hail of bullets. 'NSYNC/boy bands.

Lamb - A unique folktale that borders on horror. Supplemental listening material includes Bjork's Greatest Hits, Sigur Ros' Kveikur, and Agent Fresco's Destrier. Not for empathy machines with pets. Recommended.

The Power Of The Dog - Went in for the Red Dead Redemption 2 vibes and asshole Cumberbatch. Boring as sin. Fuck this movie.

Matrix Resurrections - 8/10

I had a great time with the movie. It felt like the one of the couple reboot sequels out there that aimed to comment on the franchise’s popularity without feeling the need to recapture what made it popular in a “they don’t make it like this anymore” feel. 

If they had to make a Matrix 4, making it a metatext on all of the basic surface-level takes on the films was the best way of going about it. It felt more necessary and important as a sequel that gave agency to the material and spoke for itself as far as what it thinks about the demand for a Matrix 4 with crowd-pleasing callbacks, slow motion bullet dodging, or being redpilled.  

It was a little on-the-nose, but with the level of camp and bombast the series had, it was a pleasant surprise to see how well it worked to have the film spend its time focusing on both Neo as a symbolic figure and Neo as a creative who is completely exhausted from having his experiences, accomplishments, and identity boiled down to simplistic, reductive fantasies. 

Dune was definitely the best popcorn movie of the year, but Matrix Resurrections was a guilty pleasure of mine. 

• 3 weeks later...

Spider-Man: No Way Home - 10/10.

I will be geeking out about this movie for a long time.  It was so good. Might go back to the theater

on Friday night to see it again.  I haven't liked a Marvel movie so much since Infinity War.

Spoiler

Weird to see aunt May get the Uncle Ben death.  I was so happy to see the three Peter Parkers/Spidermen together. 

I'll always think Garfield is the worst Peter Parker but he's always been a good Spider-Man.  If this movie had killed off

Maguire's Peter Parker/Spider-Man, I would have rated this movie a 7 or 8.  He's my favorite and shouldn't be

touched.  I wonder if the villains who went back to their own universe ended up dying anyway or found a way to survive.

• 1 month later...

Free Guy - 7/10
Did not expect to enjoy this at all and was pleasantly surprised. 

Jungle Cruise - 7/10
Gave me Brenden Fraser The Mummy vibes in the best ways. 

Encanto - 6/10
Solid kids movie but not for me.

Dune - 8/10
Looking good so far for the new Dune movies.

The Batman - 6/10
Should have just focused on a more intimate story that slowly grew outwards versus this war of the plotlines business. 

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness - 8/10.

Spoiler

It was great seeing Professor X again.  Also the movie did the impossible.

There's actually a good version of Mr. Fantastic now.  I'm still hoping there will

be a good Fantastic Four movie someday.  I'd be happy if they cast that same guy

to be Mr. Fantastic in another movie.  It's too bad the character didn't have a strand of gray in his hair though.

• 3 weeks later...

Dr. Strange Multiverse of Madness 7.5/10 I enjoyed it had some great scenes and battles felt like it could have been better want to see the directors cut 

Thor Love and Thunder 7/10  It was alright enjoyed the second half of the movie more but still nothing to rave about I guess I had better expectations for it since I enjoyed Ragnarok a lot more 

Everything Everywhere all at once 8.5/10 

what a great movie deft a must see great action scenes story and characters 

Nobody 8.5/10

man what a surprise of a film did not expect it to be that good. Enjoyed it from start to finish great action  flick 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Prey - 8/10

Really solid horror/thriller that GETS Predator, formidable humans completely outmatched by the alien big game hunter and having to use smarts to win.  Between the solid acting and understanding the premise, it’s probably the best Predator film since the original, and I liked Predators.  (That was a 7/10).

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Lightyear - 8/10.

Spoiler

Better than I thought it would be.  I didn't like the twist though.

Would have preferred the original Zurg or if it had been the descendant

of the rookie that Buzz mocked earlier in the film.  I also would have liked

voice actors instead of celebrities but that's my main complaint for all animated movies.

1 hour ago, Jman said:

Elvis - 8/10.  Runs too long and some beats are predictable, but Austin Butler needs to win Best Actor.  His performance as the King is transcendent.  The “If I can dream” scene is worth it alone.

Austin Butler was Elvis personified definitely.

The first half of the movie was breakneck pacing, almost like it was afraid it was going to lose its audience. But once he gets back from Germany, holy shit it gets really good. Really tragic.

Blonde - A pretentious slog.

Listen, I love watching people suffer for three hours, but at least make it not feel like a bunch of scenes barely threaded together. Felt like a low-brow attempt at being high-brow due to how frequently aspect-ratios and shots change (I kid you not, I counted a 10 minute sequence towards the end where it goes from 2.40:1 cinemascope, to a digital-as-fuck lens-flare blown out 16:9 slow-mo tracking shot going in and out of focus like a generic student film, to 4:3 technicolor, to a CGI fetus, to INFRARED, to black & white).