UnevenEdge

Rate The Last Movie You Saw

StarPanda

Avatar The Way of Water 10/10 (Only thing I disliked at all about this now was I didn't go to see it in the theater when I had the chance.) :LithiumSmileySad:

Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny 6/10 (Didn't like the story much at all, but production-wise it was amazing, especially how they were able to make Harrison Ford look young again in the part at the beginning. Movie making technology these days is pretty crazy.)

Renfield 8/10 (I was not expecting to enjoy that as much as I did since I'm not really much of a fan of vampire stuff, but it had a very nice action-humor mix to it. Pretty gory at times, but it was so over-the-top that it was more funny than scary.

Renfield 9/10.

A silly, ridiculous adventure that kind of has John Dies at the End vibes if that movie wasn’t dogshit.

My only complaint was Awkwafina’s acting. It felt like she was trying to force herself to be funny. Which is sad because she’s typically been funny and enjoyable in most things I’ve seen her in.

• 2 weeks later...

They Cloned Tyrone - 8.5/10.  John Boyega purposefully chose the biggest 180 from Finn possible.  It’s a clear Blaxploitation riff that works due to Boyega and Jaime Foxx having the acting chops and charisma to make the kind of weird plot work.  

Mission Impossible Dead Reckoning Part 1 9.5/10 (Huh, I guess the two-parter thing really is a thing. That's about the only reason honestly I wouldn't give this a perfect score. I can't remember any of the other Mission Impossible movies honestly, cuz it's been a while since I've seen any of them, but I'm pretty confident that even if I could that this would be my favorite out of all of them. Just the car chase scene alone, had to be one of the longest, craziest car chase sequences I've ever seen. Whole movie was just one big adrenaline rush really.)

Super Mario Brothers 10/10 (I'ma hooked on the brothers, without a doubt. Just pure, sweet nostalgia... only way I can describe it. All you Nintendo kids out there... this movie's for you. Hearing Jack Black as Bowser alone is worth the price of admission.)

• Like 1

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Mutant Mayhem - 8/10.

Probably the best Turtles movie other than the first one.  It has some issues, but every choice makes sense for the plot.  Also the animation is amazing.

Spoiler

Somehow Attack on Titan becomes a plot point.  Not sure how.

The Man from Toronto 8/10 (Kevin Hart and Woody Harrelson make a pretty comedic duo, gotta say.)
Knights of the Zodiac 6/10 (Certainly not the worst movie adaptation of an anime I've seen, but still not all that impressive either. To be fair, only ever saw a handful of episodes of the anime and don't think I ever really cared that much for it. )
The Haunted Mansion 8/10 (I know it's been done before, but I still liked this version.)
Meg 2: The Trench 9/10 (Nope, it's definitely not safe to go back into the water yet. Was it ever though?)

Edited by Dark_Cloud_Overhead

Blue Beetle - 8/10. DC gets rid of the convoluted Multiversal bullshit and franchise building for a simple story about family and gentrification that asks what if a have-not turned into a Beetleborg.  George Lopez is funnier than most of the jokes Marvel had in Phase 4.

Edited by Jman

Gran Turismo - 7.5/10.  The latest in the surprisingly notable sub genre of “being good at vidya makes you good at something in real life” that is tempered by getting across the enormous learning curve of being an athlete vs driving in a room, and the sheer contempt EVERYONE seems to have for gamers, which means you could replace the antagonists in the movie with the staff of Kotaku and not have it be too different.  It works because it hits that natural desire to root for an underdog, and the races themselves are very creatively shot thanks to Neil Blomkamp’s direction.

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Mutant Mayhem - 7/10.

The animation and references were the best part of the movie.  I wish there had been professional voice

actors instead of actors and teenagers voicing the characters.  All of the voices except for Leo's sounded off. 

The plot was kinda stupid but I loved the references like Eastman High, Laird something earlier in the movie,

and about 30 seconds of the Go Ninja Go song from the TMNT 2 movie.  Plus all the TMNT comic book/cartoon characters

were fun.  I would have rather had a TMNT movie based on the IDW TMNT comics though.  It would have been so much better.

Edited by blueraven1999

Enter the Dragon - 9/10.

Got the 4K release.  Few films live and die by the charisma of their main actor.  This is one of those films.  There have been so many cheesy films with the martial arts tournament setup that don’t work anywhere near as well because of a distinct lack of Bruce Lee.  Although having John Saxon and Jim Kelly helps immensely.

Edited by Jman

• 2 weeks later...

The Little Mermaid
The Little Mermaid (live-action) 7/10 (Kind of a tale of two tails, the best way I think I could describe my feelings about this. It'd been so long since I saw the original animated film that I watched it again just before checking this out so I could better compare and contrast the two. On the one hand, I didn't like the way they did the underwater portion with the new movie. Was really hoping they'd show a bit more of the mermaid community, but they kind of did the opposite. Also, didn't like the Under the Sea rendition; felt like the original version was way better.  The rest of the songs were pretty good, but that one really disappointed me I have to say. That said, I actually did like the changes they made to the on land part of the story. I particularly liked that they gave the prince a real backstory and made him more than just some perfect, flawless fairy tale character. Also, giving him and Ariel some things in common like they did made it much more understandable how the romantic connection between them could form so quickly.)

The Flash 4/10 (That was just... well they got nuts. Indeed, maybe a little too nuts I think. Feels like DC must have really been sensitive to the criticism that their movies were too dark and serious, as they've definitely lightened up and injected a lot more humor into them of late, but with this one I think they finally overcorrected just too much with that. Basically, I give the movie 3 points for Michael Keaton coming back as Batman, and one point for Wonder Woman's brief cameo appearance, and pretty much pbbbbt for the rest of the pretty much pointless, nonsensical storyline.)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Saw X: 6.5 out of 10

This one was pretty hard to rate. It starts out slow, with a lot of drawn out (but necessary) character development. Once the action really gets going, though, it turns out to be more violent than I expected, in a good way. My main critique is that the ending was pretty predictable. Prequels usually are, though. Overall, I actually quite enjoyed this one.

Wolf of Wall Street - 9.5/10.  Lost in the hubbub of how serious and CINEMA Scorsese’s work compares to MCU drivel is just how utterly hilarious this movie is.  If Goodfellas is a drama satire of the American dream, this the black comedy satire.

Elemental 7/10
Prey 9/10
Ruby Gillman Teenage Kraken 8/10

These were all pretty good, but pretty much all of the latest Predator franchise movies have disappointed me up until I saw this new one Prey. First one that I think really captured some of the feeling of the original. Also, just the respect they showed to Native American people by having them involved in pretty much every part of the production of the film was really impressive.

Knights of the Zodiac - 3/10.

Decent fight scenes cannot make up for the fact that this is a weakly acted, badly written adaptation of Saint Seiya that would be way better if they just adapted the manga more faithfully.  Apparently Macenryu wasn’t happy with the role, but thankfully he had Zoro as his breakout Western role.

• 2 weeks later...

Cat’s Eye - A Stephen King anthology with a distinct lack of Maine.  Surprisingly fun though, with the first two segments running on black comedy while the third is a bit more “tug on the heartstrings.”

Spoiler

It also has a surprisingly sweet ending for a Stephen King joint.

8/10.  

Godzilla Minus One -

9/10.  One of the few monster movies where the human stuff is genuinely interesting but it only makes the kaiju stuff seem bigger and more important, instead of feeling like a distraction.  See it on a big screen or with a 4DX.  

The Last Voyage of the Demeter 4/10
Jules 9/10 (Alien meets retirees, just goes to show... you're never too old to have a close encounter.)
Strays 8/10 (One of the dirtiest movies I've probably ever watched... and it's about a bunch of dogs. Not really my type of humor typically, but I have to somewhat loathingly admit, I found it extremely funny still.) :disassociate:
Blue Beetle 7/10
Barbie 7/10

Napoleon - Entertaining enough but a total mess. Thing goes at 1.5x speed with no intention of properly establishing characters or why anything is happening. Some baffling lines of dialog that are gonna be memed to hell for the next decade.

short changed/10. Looking forward to the 4-hour cut.

On 12/2/2023 at 4:01 PM, Jman said:

Godzilla Minus One -

9/10.  One of the few monster movies where the human stuff is genuinely interesting but it only makes the kaiju stuff seem bigger and more important, instead of feeling like a distraction.  See it on a big screen or with a 4DX.  

The big gripe I have against the US Godzilla movies is the wasted human story opportunities [Brian Cranston should've spent the rest of GZ '14 trying to exact revenge on GZ dammit]. It's why I found Shin Godzilla (or: How I Learned To Stop Worrying And Love The Beast) so refreshing in the first place [not discounting all the Anno-isms of course]. Will see Minus One this week.