UnevenEdge

Rate The Last Movie You Saw

StarPanda

The Iron Claw - 8/10.  Basically the Raging Bull of pro wrestling, in that it uses wrestling to tell a drama but is less concerned about the wrestling and more about the drama.  Fritz Von Erich was an asshole, so the performance of him as the ultimate stage dad is rather well done.

Between Me and My Mind - 9/10

A.K.A. that documentary about Trey Anastasio, speak of the devil. I personally loved it and thought it was a thrillingly intimate portrait of him, on top of featuring various Phish tidbits I didn't know about (like his comment on how they structured their shows at Nectar's) and the makings of Ghosts of the Forest, one of many Phish-related things I still need to get into. If there's any nitpick I have with it, it's that it could've used a little more concert footage, maybe even from the shows to promote GotF. And having to rate this one feels unfair, because I doubt you're going to be interested in this if you're not a jam band fan. If you're even a little curious about the genre, check it out.

[and yes, this is going in the content ratings thread]

• 2 weeks later...

The 36th Chamber of Shaolin - 9/10.  Certified classic of Kung fu cinema.  If you want an old school kung fu film done right, it doesn’t get much better than Gordon Liu and the Shaw Bros.

Aquaman and the Lost Kingdom 9/10
Mortal Kombat Legends Cage Match 9/10 (Joel McHale is just the perfect voice for Johnny Cage.)
Five Night's at Freddy's 8/10 (Pretty good. I'll have to check out the games sometime.)
It Lives Inside 8/10
Tokyo Pop 9/10
A Silent Voice 6/10
Mavka the Forest Song 8/10 (It's a Ukrainian-made animated movie very similar in story to FernGully.)

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Madame Web 7/10

That wasn't bad. Technically at least, it didn't have like a terrible plot or anything, so I don't really get why the critics roasted it. That said, I do totally understand why it bombed so big at the box office. Super hero fatigue is what some people are saying, but it barely qualifies as a super hero movie really. Also, I don't think people are tired of super hero stuff, just that there's so much of it out there now, people are only gonna wanna drag themselves to the theater and spend a bunch to see the really big, epic stuff. And in this case, they basically made a whole film out of just a side character. Her ability doesn't exactly lend itself well to being something that you can make a thrilling action movie out of either, so it's no surprise a lot of folks decided to give it a pass.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Wonka 9/10

I must have watched the original classic starring Gene Wilder like a gazillion times when I was a kid. I didn't care much for the remake, so I was kind of not expecting this to be that great either. So glad I was wrong. Even though it's a totally new story, right from the start they did a wonderful job of honoring the original. The music and sets were amazing, and I don't think anyone could of done a better job of playing a young Wonka probably than Timothee Chalamet managed to do.

Out of the twin pregnant nun movies out, The First Omen (8.5/10) edges out Immaculate (7/10) imo. First Omen goes slightly harder on the shock value, imagery, and implications of Catholicism as an evil institution.

On 4/4/2024 at 1:29 PM, Dark_Cloud_Overhead said:

Wonka 9/10

On 3/16/2024 at 9:53 PM, Dark_Cloud_Overhead said:

Thanksgiving 10/10 

On 3/30/2024 at 9:47 PM, Dark_Cloud_Overhead said:

Wish 9/10
Trolls Band Together 8/10

no.

• The Hunger Games: The Ballad of Songbirds and Snakes - 4/10 This kinda fuckin' sucked.
  • Madame Web - 10/10 This sucked so bad it was funny.
  • Double Down - 20/10 Neil Breen is not a human being. But he is an American.
  • No Holds Barred - 2/10 I liked the guy named Dookie that shit himself and when Hulk Hogan asked what that smell was, he said it was dookie. Incredible.
  • Sudden Death - 6/10 Diehard on ice. Actually not too awful.
  • The Iron Claw - 7/10 Jesus fucking Christ that was depressing and then I found out they had to cut stuff out because the real life events were even sadder.