UnevenEdge

2024 Presidential Elections: the schadenfreude commences

NewBluntsworth

25 minutes ago, katt_goddess said:

Can we all just consider a small silver lining currently.

Somewhere, out there, Burgum is crying into his soup because he dropped being governor completely, spent a ton of money trying to force his Lt. Governor through the primaries for governor to which she lost big time, and also likely spent a ton of money on Drumpf because no one hangs with that walking fart cloud without also being asked for money and all he has to show for it is a maybe spot as court jester in the Orange Stain Kingdom. 

Also, look to the future. At some point, Vance will displease Trump and Trump will turn on him like the Joker killing one of his henchmen.

Trump might even send a mob to murder him. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Belize said:

Also, look to the future. At some point, Vance will displease Trump and Trump will turn on him like the Joker killing one of his henchmen.

Trump might even send a mob to murder him. 

Drumpf will be sick of him in a week if it turns out that there are more photos of his second-banana than him. 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Insipid said:

It's not. Results from my kindle search.

Screenshot_20240715_173125_Kindle.thumb.jpg.d5c998318bdbc481910ece4a15433a20.jpg

Screenshot_20240715_173245_Kindle.thumb.jpg.94225d0fdc5bd86c4f7a3f63f8df91eb.jpg

I seriously thought he wrote it. Seems like it's a parody of the part of the book where he talks about being freaked out about choosing a white wine at a restaurant.

Apologies!

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, katt_goddess said:

Somewhere, out there, Burgum is crying into his soup because he dropped being governor completely, spent a ton of money trying to force his Lt. Governor through the primaries for governor to which she lost big time, and also likely spent a ton of money on Drumpf because no one hangs with that walking fart cloud without also being asked for money and all he has to show for it is a maybe spot as court jester in the Orange Stain Kingdom. 

Okay but hear me out.

Marco Rubio looking at the mirror with the Will Smith "WHY DON'T HE LIKE ME, MAN?"

• Haha 5

3 hours ago, katt_goddess said:

He can always join RFKs ticket when his current VP pick disappears goes for a swim.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

44 minutes ago, mthor said:

Are you old enough to be making a joke like that?

You do realize at least two different Kennedy women went for a swim, right?

There’s an article somewhere that popped up after RFKJr’s latest revelation about how successive generations of Joe Kennedy and his sons systematically abused women in and out of the family.  Even JFK Jr chaotic and self destructive recklessness is a manifestation of this abusive behavior.

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, scoobdog said:

You do realize at least two different Kennedy women went for a swim, right?

There’s an article somewhere that popped up after RFKJr’s latest revelation about how successive generations of Joe Kennedy and his sons systematically abused women in and out of the family.  Even JFK Jr chaotic and self destructive recklessness is a manifestation of this abusive behavior.

Nothing that deep. It just made me laugh because I haven't heard a Kennedy car wash reference in years. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Thats the Teamsters President at the RNC. Yea, you read that right. A Union President gave a keynote speech at the RNC. Apparently its the first time in the 121 year history of the RNC for this to happen.

It also comes as reports are that the Teamsters is debating not endorsing any candidate for President this year. They have yet to be invited to the DNC, and the Teamsters President was on Fox earlier in the day saying that the JD Vance pick was great for working class, and union, families.

That would be a pretty big deal, and further solidify the shift among the parties thats been going on for the last decade or so. The GOP is turning into the party of working class people, while Democrats are becoming the party of coastal elites. Its what makes Trump such a strong candidate in these working class states.

'devout republican' is really throwing me off. i would never call a person that was a staunch political supporter devout; to me, that's a term used ONLY in religious/faith/etc et al

i feel like at this point, just start shuffling around the deck chairs, and make the popcorn. i could never afford to get me family out of this country. not all of us, so, i can't leave. 

we are absolutely allowed to be completely deflated by our country, and call this shit out, loudly. the media, the politicians, the lobbyists, this is what they want. chaos, fear, doubt. 

i think it's aburd what is happening. there is no one else in this country, that has gotten away with more fucking shit. life really is stranger than fiction.   

a felon president. but felons can't vote for him. lol

this cuntry. 

• Like 5

11 minutes ago, Master-Debater131 said:

Thats the Teamsters President at the RNC. Yea, you read that right. A Union President gave a keynote speech at the RNC. Apparently its the first time in the 121 year history of the RNC for this to happen.

It also comes as reports are that the Teamsters is debating not endorsing any candidate for President this year. They have yet to be invited to the DNC, and the Teamsters President was on Fox earlier in the day saying that the JD Vance pick was great for working class, and union, families.

That would be a pretty big deal, and further solidify the shift among the parties thats been going on for the last decade or so. The GOP is turning into the party of working class people, while Democrats are becoming the party of coastal elites. Its what makes Trump such a strong candidate in these working class states.

The Teamsters also reportedly got a really bad response with the crowd mostly booing them.

The Democrats seem to be ready to concede defeat and it’s infuriating.

• Like 1

Just now, Jman said:

The Teamsters also reportedly got a really bad response with the crowd mostly booing them.

The Democrats seem to be ready to concede defeat and it’s infuriating.

I dunno. It seemed mixed to me. There were a few points that he was bood, but others where he got good cheers.

Theres clearly some sections of the GOP that do not like unions, but theres other sections where their policies line up with Union desires.

6 hours ago, Master-Debater131 said:

Working Class People - 

- help their neighbors

- pay their bills

- mind their business [ for the most damn part - ie, they might gossip about the neighbor's kid being gay but aren't going to want them dead because of it ]

- want their kids to have a chance at an education 

- are usually working too much in order to afford the basics most of the time

'Coastal Elites' - 

- a f*cking myth constantly perpetuated by the same assholes that also have summer homes on coasts, more often went to fancy schools themselves, send their kids to fancy schools, and think they should have a raise for existing while also voting against anything that would actually help the working class like funding education, going after price gougers, going after the rich tax cheats with the same venom as they do for the dude on a fixed income, and funding the social programs that exist to keep the heads of the most vulnerable above water. 

Anytime a republican uses the term 'Elite', always remember they may as well be staring into a mirror while they say it. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

Why did we ever take Nate Silver seriously? His own self-promotion that he uses to boost his credibility is that he correctly guessed 49 out of 50 states in the 2008 election.

49 out of 50. So, he told us how Wyoming and California would vote. And then coincidentally guessed right which way the few swing states would turn, but he still got one of those wrong. For 2008, an election where it was obvious the Great Recession was going to cause the Republicans to lose.

This is the case Silver makes for why he deserves to have a job with a media outlet so that he can get a cushy salary.

5 hours ago, Jman said:

More evil from Project 2025 - The end of free weather reports from the National Weather Service.

https://www.theatlantic.com/science/archive/2024/07/noaa-project-2025-weather/678987/

We are marching towards doomsday and no one seems inclined to do anything about it.

But Trump said he doesn't even know what it is, and since God is using Trump to spread Christian love, we know he can't lie.

• Thanks 2
  • Haha 2

Schiff calls on Biden to drop out, citing ‘serious concerns’ he can’t win

https://www.latimes.com/politics/story/2024-07-17/schiff-calls-on-biden-to-drop-out-citing-serious-concerns-that-he-can-win

"Rep. Adam B. Schiff (D-Burbank), who is running for U.S. Senate in California, is calling for President Biden to drop out of the presidential race, he said in an exclusive statement Wednesday to The Times.

Schiff, who is heavily favored to win his Senate race, cited “serious concerns” that Biden can beat former President Trump in November.

He is the latest Democrat to call for the incumbent president of their own party to end his campaign amid growing concerns about Biden’s age and mental fitness to do the job — which began in earnest after a disastrous debate performance last month where Biden at times appeared confused."

This is the biggest name to call for Biden to drop out so far. It also wouldnt have happened without both Pelosi and Obama being in the loop.

4 minutes ago, Master-Debater131 said:

https://www.latimes.com/politics/story/2024-07-17/schiff-calls-on-biden-to-drop-out-citing-serious-concerns-that-he-can-win

"Rep. Adam B. Schiff (D-Burbank), who is running for U.S. Senate in California, is calling for President Biden to drop out of the presidential race, he said in an exclusive statement Wednesday to The Times.

Schiff, who is heavily favored to win his Senate race, cited “serious concerns” that Biden can beat former President Trump in November.

He is the latest Democrat to call for the incumbent president of their own party to end his campaign amid growing concerns about Biden’s age and mental fitness to do the job — which began in earnest after a disastrous debate performance last month where Biden at times appeared confused."

This is the biggest name to call for Biden to drop out so far. It also wouldnt have happened without both Pelosi and Obama being in the loop.

The Dems beat the GOP on policy but Trump is going to beat Joe on vibes.  It’s no wonder they’re calling for an alternate.  Especially as Project 2025 gets more and more cartoonishly evil.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Raptorpat said:

I’d like to think Joe is going to throw his full support behind Kamala at the convention since I bet he doesn’t say this unless more polls show her beating Trump like the one from last week.

Considering how often politicians have let me down I am not counting on that.

• Like 1

I think he is trying to emphasize her role as successor in the administration. Not because he's dropping out, but as a mild concession to the age complaints. The theory being he can calm that storm without dropping out simply by boosting his #2.

14 minutes ago, Raptorpat said:

I assume you're asking because Nate Silver was in the vanguard of the "Joe's too old" brigade?

Yes, but I also have criticism of Silver going back to 2016 when he got that election wrong. 

I don't think that takes away the merits of my criticism of Silver though: it's not particularly impressive he was correct on 49 out of 50 states in 2008. And he's been milking that ever since. 

Edited by Belize

5 minutes ago, Jman said:

I’d like to think Joe is going to throw his full support behind Kamala at the convention since I bet he doesn’t say this unless more polls show her beating Trump like the one from last week.

Considering how often politicians have let me down I am not counting on that.

I think that's the most likely scenario as well.

It's strange how the calls for Biden to step aside are sporadic and piecemeal.  It feels like there is some level of poll watching involved, that they're not so much looking to see how Biden will react as much as how the polls will react (or in this case not react).  I've been wondering why they haven't made a more concerted effort to put Kamala out there, not as a presidential candidate but just to increase her profile.  It may be there are issues gauging her viability in general that need to be sorted before allowing her to campaign more openly.

54 minutes ago, Master-Debater131 said:

I worry about Dems kicking themselves in the teeth like this. Is Biden a risk? Absolutely. He's not the most inspiring candidate. But Dems keep looking for the perfect candidate, attacking their own when they show flaws, while the right gives 0 fucks about their candidate being an uneducated fraud who wants to fuck his own daughter. They seem to like it, actually. Going after Biden for senior moments is just so fucking insane when Trump is the alternative. If there was a clear option for someone who could replace him without losing momentum that would be awesome but that doesn't seem to be the case. So all we're left with are Dems turning on Dems. It's 2016 all over with the DNC backing Clinton over Bernie even though Bernie had much better prospects than Clinton.

I'm keeping my focus on Allan Lichtman. He's already said Biden is the best bet, at least pre-shooting. So far all he's said since the shooting is:

"Anyone who thinks they know the implications of this horrific tragedy is misleading you. Instant predictions are meaningless. You’ve got to wait and see what the implications are. It can go in one of two directions. On one hand, Donald Trump can look like a heroic survivor and martyr. On the other hand, it could look like a culmination of the kind of violence Donald Trump has talked about a lot and instigated on January 6th when he let the violence go on for three hours all the mayhem and did nothing," Lichtman said. 

I will say, though, that he's more optimistic than I am. He's waiting to see how Republicans spin this but I think we all know how they're going to spin it. They're a party without a platform, they're riding coattails. This is all they've got to work with.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

8 minutes ago, Belize said:

Part of the answer: Kamala has sent strong signals of "no, stop that". 

As she should.  No one wants a usurper.  But, that doesn't mean she's against stepping in when she needs to.

• Like 3

Lichtman is an interesting person. He's quickly gaining a reputation as "the guy who Biden supporters are turning to for copium" but he represents a group of academics who are much more positive on Biden's chances than everyone else. In fact, they look down on punditry and pollsters as people with goldfish brains. That is, pundits and polls move quickly from one thing to the next. 

You can tell that in that quote from Lichtman. "Anyone who thinks they know the implications" of this particular event. 

I respect the academic politics people for no other reason than they make predictions based on their research and stick with it in the face of contradictory news. Political scientist Helmut Norpath predicted in March that Biden would win, and he's sticking to it no matter what happens because it's based on a very specific system that he's used for decades. (Specifically, it predicts presidential elections based on what happens in presidential primaries.) 

50 minutes ago, scoobdog said:

I think that's the most likely scenario as well.

I don't think so. They're still barrelling forward with the virtual roll call vote to lock him in before the actual convention.

I think the simplest solution is he's trying to mollify the age people by implying "maybe you're right that I can't serve the full four years, but fortunately Kamala is already ready so calm down and support us."

• Like 1

Schumer, Jeffries quietly pushed to delay Biden nomination vote

https://www.axios.com/2024/07/17/chuck-schumer-hakeem-jeffries-biden-dnc-vote

"Why it matters: It's a signal that the congressional leaders sympathize with rank-and-file Democrats who want more time to address concerns about Biden's ability to defeat former President Trump.

• The Democratic National Committee said Wednesday they won't hold their virtual roll call vote before August, providing that critical room."

There absolutely is a sizeable effort to get Biden to drop out. These kind of stories, and this kind of movement from Democrats, would not be happening without the backing of major players within the party.

1 hour ago, Raptorpat said:

I don't think so. They're still barrelling forward with the virtual roll call vote to lock him in before the actual convention.

I think the simplest solution is he's trying to mollify the age people by implying "maybe you're right that I can't serve the full four years, but fortunately Kamala is already ready so calm down and support us."

That's the end result regardless.  The minefield is attempting to remove someone from the ballot that's been nominated in primary voting.  Doing so would trigger all kinds of challenges that while not likely to succeed would still bog down the campaign and ultimately scuttle the ticket.  The trick is framing her candidacy in the terms of the already agreed upon ticket, which, as you say, is Joe saying "it's not just me  serving four more years, it 'us' serving those four years."  At the same time, it's unusual for a VP, even an incumbent one, to campaign this early; I think that's why they're being so cautious about putting her out there to campaign. 

I think where we might diverge is the degree to which Joe has a succession plan in place.  You seem to be suggesting that he's only mollifying that group when I tend to think he has something more concrete in place as a backstop.  The way the narrative is lingering tells me that its beyond any slight-of-hand.