UnevenEdge

ASMB Lore

André Toulon

I don't have a spoon so this isn't a pot stir....Just wondering where the initial separation of "folders" occurred. 

I didn't join Babble until 2010....up until that point, I was in General discussion. All I knew is that GASD made fun of Toonamites but it was pretty light and relaxed.  Once I joined Babble, I learned of the IB beef....I, to this day, have no clue what the vitriol is for but I liked it. I clung to it despite not knowing anyone in IB.  I actually think I was the last true babbler...I can't think of anyone that joined after me that stuck around....but we did have several "new" characters over the years.

In fact, when Babble died at around mid night, IB would still be active so I lurked there. I definitely could feel the flirting in the air and that wasn't my thing so I posted occasionally but not often....after a bit a time, I found out that despite in inner conflict between B and IB, everyone hated toonami, but still didn't really fuck with them.... except Zeni, but he was all over the place. Dude trolled the whole site.

So tldr, what kicked off the board beef so many years ago....I wasn't there for it....I just play along.

Edited by André Toulon

I know killjoy incited a lot of it, because he would always act like he was the say all be all around Asian culture and shit, he always got under peoples skin too, which I dig the most…. He had his way but definitely not the catalyst… just always like watching him drive people nuts

• Haha 1

I don't know. I used to pop into IB occasionally, and I always found it more hostile than Rants. Sounds counter intuitive, maybe, but in Rants, we were assholes, we knew we were assholes, and anybody who wanted to be an asshole with us was welcome. There were cliques; there are always cliques, but there was plenty of room for free-range assholes, too. In IB, I always felt like there was a secret password that I didn't know, and getting said password would be more of a hassle than my welcome-to-rants curbstomping was.

• Haha 2

18 minutes ago, mthor said:

I don't know. I used to pop into IB occasionally, and I always found it more hostile than Rants. Sounds counter intuitive, maybe, but in Rants, we were assholes, we knew we were assholes, and anybody who wanted to be an asshole with us was welcome. There were cliques; there are always cliques, but there was plenty of room for free-range assholes, too. In IB, I always felt like there was a secret password that I didn't know, and getting said password would be more of a hassle than my welcome-to-rants curbstomping was.

Jesus, Detroit was the fucking worst…

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, Sawdy said:

I know killjoy incited a lot of it, because he would always act like he was the say all be all around Asian culture and shit, he always got under peoples skin too, which I dig the most…. He had his way but definitely not the catalyst… just always like watching him drive people nuts

I remember one time there was a discussion about Japanese kanji in IB, and the way he tried explaining it works was completely wrong. I was honestly pretty shocked, and from that point onward I really questioned his "authority." I never said anything about it because I really didn't like interacting with him. He was just fortunate there weren't any IBers who were serious about learning Japanese. Had he tried his crap on certain subreddits, he would have been castigated by other white men that like to claim authority on Asian cultural studies.

1 minute ago, Insipid said:

I remember one time there was a discussion about Japanese kanji in IB, and the way he tried explaining it works was completely wrong. I was honestly pretty shocked, and from that point onward I really questioned his "authority." I never said anything about it because I really didn't like interacting with him. He was just fortunate there weren't any IBers who were serious about learning Japanese. Had he tried his crap on certain subreddits, he would have been castigated by other white men that like to claim authority on Asian cultural studies.

Oh I know and that was his thing… he is by far the whitest mother fucker I’ve ever known… and had a weird fetish for that shit…. But he would school straight out of Japan on how they don’t know as much as him and it triggered the fuck out of the toonami kids… that was special 

6 minutes ago, GuyBeardmane said:

In the long, long ago, the Noise Folder was at general peace.  Babbling, Incoherent Babbling, and Rants all had their own regions, but lived in harmony.  Then the RIF nation attacked, cracking the fragile foundation the peace was based upon.  Incoherent Babbling became a den of chaos, as the more coherent IBers fled to the calmer lands of Babbling.  The Babblers who felt inundated with this new influx of people they felt above fled to Rants to feed into their rage, and in turn the Ranters who were being outnumbered either colonized IB or left the ASMB entirely.

The old camps of Arm Meat, GELLHA, and the Bumpers watched the chaos unfold.  Sometimes they joined in and reveled in the havoc, other times they hid away.  Before long, the chaos became the new order, and thus the Age of the Fan Collective could begin.

...at least that's the story according to the scriptures of the old lurkers, spanning the time post-Prospero and the genesis of Lithium.

You .... you're my friend 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Sawdy said:

Jesus, Detroit was the fucking worst…

Was just thinking about him yesterday.  I somehow made it on his fight tour.

I forgot about killjoy until now.  That was the one with the Dr. Girlfriend avatar, right?
I don't remember any specific conversations but dude always came off as an asshole.

28 minutes ago, GuyBeardmane said:

In the long, long ago, the Noise Folder was at general peace.  Babbling, Incoherent Babbling, and Rants all had their own regions, but lived in harmony.  Then the RIF nation attacked, cracking the fragile foundation the peace was based upon.  Incoherent Babbling became a den of chaos, as the more coherent IBers fled to the calmer lands of Babbling.  The Babblers who felt inundated with this new influx of people they felt above fled to Rants to feed into their rage, and in turn the Ranters who were being outnumbered either colonized IB or left the ASMB entirely.

The old camps of Arm Meat, GELLHA, and the Bumpers watched the chaos unfold.  Sometimes they joined in and reveled in the havoc, other times they hid away.  Before long, the chaos became the new order, and thus the Age of the Fan Collective could begin.

...at least that's the story according to the scriptures of the old lurkers, spanning the time post-Prospero and the genesis of Lithium.

Nicely done.

Also, the demise of the Action Block and the subsequent decline of the AD  created a diaspora of sorts.  AD campers moved primarily to Babbling and IB, at a time when the post Prospero cliques were also starting to decline.

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Sieg67 said:

Was just thinking about him yesterday.  I somehow made it on his fight tour.

I forgot about killjoy until now.  That was the one with the Dr. Girlfriend avatar, right?
I don't remember any specific conversations but dude always came off as an asshole.

Happy bday man

12 hours ago, mthor said:

In IB all you had to be was random tbh. I didn’t get the feeling of exclusivity from the folder, as an IBer through and through. There were a bunch of jerks of course but every folder had ‘em.

• Like 2

I came back in '09 after 5 years of being away and it was uh.... different

Always assumed Rants and Babblers were the same peeps. I always just went into Rants when I wanted to Rant, I went into Babbling for the pick em threads, I went into the games folder to literally never discuss video games it seemed, and then ryan_expert invited me to play halo with him, and I found the halo thread in IB and kind of started hanging around there... mainly for that thread

I've had some weird 6 degrees from this place though

Back during one of those picture threads that always got deleted someone posted a photo of themselves from when they were deployed overseas and was like "Uh.... that's my brother in the background"

I played sports/went to school with another member's cousin

• Like 2

7 hours ago, -Ninja_Jesus- said:

I never took that seriously but apparently he did go to some user’s house or something.

He wanted to meet me at a truck stop in Boston… I figured he just wanted my load in his throat tho… he was a skinny bitch and didn’t think he’d go many rounds… ummm… sucking dick or fighting 

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, molarbear said:

I came back in '09 after 5 years of being away and it was uh.... different

Always assumed Rants and Babblers were the same peeps. I always just went into Rants when I wanted to Rant, I went into Babbling for the pick em threads, I went into the games folder to literally never discuss video games it seemed, and then ryan_expert invited me to play halo with him, and I found the halo thread in IB and kind of started hanging around there... mainly for that thread

I've had some weird 6 degrees from this place though

Back during one of those picture threads that always got deleted someone posted a photo of themselves from when they were deployed overseas and was like "Uh.... that's my brother in the background"

I played sports/went to school with another member's cousin

You a bitch and yo mamma is a hoe… and I have no clue what message you sent me on Xbox ya fuckin gimp

Really did not like how prevalent rankism and reg-date-ism were for a good long while on the boards. Motherfuckers just spamming nothing replies or making those simple game/reply threads for the explicit intent of ranking up then talking shit on people with less minutes or posts. And this weird reverence for 2003 accounts, even when you could literally steal one by signing up for a dormant account's name alone. Shit was weird. Pod 6 is jerks. Clap for the shoehand. Flaming stapler. Anime is teh s uck. Bah humbug. 

• Like 5

56 minutes ago, GunStarHero said:

Really did not like how prevalent rankism and reg-date-ism were for a good long while on the boards. Motherfuckers just spamming nothing replies or making those simple game/reply threads for the explicit intent of ranking up then talking shit on people with less minutes or posts. And this weird reverence for 2003 accounts, even when you could literally steal one by signing up for a dormant account's name alone. Shit was weird. Pod 6 is jerks. Clap for the shoehand. Flaming stapler. Anime is teh s uck. Bah humbug. 

I felt so good to claim soybomb, the very first account. It even had that SwimInsider rank when I got it. Unfortunately, it didn't do anything, and when the admin found out it was claimed they removed the rank.

2 hours ago, GunStarHero said:

Always clap for the shoe hand 

On 7/1/2022 at 11:00 AM, GuyBeardmane said:

i started to hear donavon in the background, and then suddenly i was singing this to 'atlantis'. 

thanks for this. 

• Thanks 1

On 7/1/2022 at 11:12 AM, UnDeRwOrlDpRiNcEsS said:

Babblers thought they were better than IBers. I stayed away. I still stay away from anyone that makes logical sense. There's still a wiki page somewhere that talks about all the lure of the ASMB.
I only have one website that I still love to creep on.

I think I’m the last Order of the Owl member…

AB423219-E264-4874-BA20-0F5B935E2BDF.thumb.jpeg.ff48ea427cfb3d7cec1b9c6afe9fb57d.jpeg

• Like 2

It's insane I hung around IB more than anywhere else.  I think babbling was first though, then incoherent babbling.  Incoherent fit my mindset, not serious with occasional trolling.  I stopped by rants...a few buttholes and bad trolling, not bad but not good.   The topics where sloppy and there was no rhthym.  Babbling was well...babbling.  pod 6.  Cool kids club, whatever.  People went there to die on a hill of hubris.  The gossip was juicy though.  I found that it was a leaky sieve of information if you look through the right threads.  I never thought to share myself much there.  I felt as though it would have been too high risk of losing my job or maybe marriage...idk.  The rest of the boards.  Meh...it was ok.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Neko said:

It's insane I hung around IB more than anywhere else.  I think babbling was first though, then incoherent babbling.  Incoherent fit my mindset, not serious with occasional trolling.  I stopped by rants...a few buttholes and bad trolling, not bad but not good.   The topics where sloppy and there was no rhthym.  Babbling was well...babbling.  pod 6.  Cool kids club, whatever.  People went there to die on a hill of hubris.  The gossip was juicy though.  I found that it was a leaky sieve of information if you look through the right threads.  I never thought to share myself much there.  I felt as though it would have been too high risk of losing my job or maybe marriage...idk.  The rest of the boards.  Meh...it was ok.

2 hours ago, Sawdy said:

They’re dead?

I haz a sad nao.

'Whatever happened to the Hardcore Alcoholics thread?' was the apparent go-to troll / comment on the old boards Hey Mod thread for so very very long since it was a moderation question. Legend has it the thread was so great, the Mods got jealous and killed it with fire. But I don't think a single Mod ever claimed the kill. 

I didn't venture into IB much, tending to stay in Babbling from 2004 on.  I just know that there were "invasions" of  by IB, but eventually they'd see a squirrel, get distracted and forget about the "invasion" stuff.

3 hours ago, GuyBeardmane said:

Followed by Tritelight's incredible story of killing a snake with a katana.

ok, in babbling, there was a thread about 'drinking the kool aid' but it def. went off of some tangent, that is, i do believe that was the 1st thread i killed in babbling. 

6 hours ago, molarbear said:

I don't know who thought the yearbook was ever a good idea but, thank you

That thing was a joy to read

i remember yearbook. 

i never made it, but, like high school, it was fun to go through it, draw little horns and black out teeth, and doodle outrageous clown hair. 

good times.