UnevenEdge

Could you date someone with the same first name as a relative?

Skiles

3 minutes ago, Skiles said:

I don't think I could do it. 

Someone I work with is dating a guy with the same name as her brother, and I just find the idea very odd. 

My cousin married a guy with the same name as her brother. For an added twist, before they all grew up, her brother hung out with the two of them a lot.

I think I could do it, as I have no sisters, and my mom is just "mom" to me, not her actual name.

I don't see why not. 

But this brought up something I had not realized, I never have dated a woman with the same first name as a relative.  Seems kinda odd.  I don't think I was ever interested in a woman with the same first name as a relative...maybe there's a subliminal factor?

1 hour ago, Vamped said:

You people call your significant others by their actual names?! XD

Generally I go with "babe" in casual conversation. During sex, I might say the person's name. Which is why I can't do it. I don't want to accidentally moan my sister's name. I would hate that. 

1 hour ago, Bouvre said:

Immediate would be tough, but extended? I'm honestly surprised I don't have a Daniel in my extended family: we're mostly white and blue collar. The names are often as common as the people.

Yeah, maybe if it's a distant-ass relative I don't even know very well, I would be fine with it. But not close family. 

33 minutes ago, Bouvre said:

I know so much of my extended family. I wouldn't equate extended with distant.

Oh yeah, when I say "distant," I mean it more in the sense of "not close." I have an aunt I'm incredibly close with, and one I've never met. The former I would consider close family, the latter a distant relative.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Skiles said:

Someone I work with is dating a guy with the same name as her brother, and I just find the idea very odd. 

Yea I could care less. My girl is named after a mortal combat character, legitimately - so I personally don't have that problem myself rn.

1 hour ago, nameraka said:

How hot are they?

For the purposes of this thought experiment, let's say they're just really pretty in a "girl next door" kind of way. If it's a dude, "boy next door" vibe.

Edited by Skiles

On 11/26/2020 at 1:35 PM, Skiles said:

Siblings or parents names, hell no, however, since I'm not blood related to any of my family due to adoption, I don't have any such issues with dating some stranger with the same name as an extended relative. Not really close to those relatives anyway.

3 hours ago, Skiles said:

For the purposes of this thought experiment, let's say they're just really pretty in a "girl next door" kind of way. If it's a dude, "boy next door" vibe.

For girl next door hot I’d probably date someone with the same name as a cousin. 

On 11/26/2020 at 6:43 PM, Doom Metal Alchemist said:

My cousin married a guy with the same name as her brother. For an added twist, before they all grew up, her brother hung out with the two of them a lot.

I think I could do it, as I have no sisters, and my mom is just "mom" to me, not her actual name.

Oh yeah, my cousin married a woman who has the same name as him. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Distortedreasoning said:

yeah i dont see why it would bother anyone?

Because it's weird?

Like honestly, during sex, do you want to accidentally be like, "Aw, fuck yeah, Terrance" and then think to yourself, "Fuck, my little brother's name is Terrance"? I think at that point I would realize that I could never fuck that person again. 

8 minutes ago, Skiles said:

Because it's weird?

Like honestly, during sex, do you want to accidentally be like, "Aw, fuck yeah, Terrance" and then think to yourself, "Fuck, my little brother's name is Terrance"? I think at that point I would realize that I could never fuck that person again. 

Terry

Or, as mentioned, pet names. Terrance becomes Cum Guzzling Crotch Cricket.

Edited by Sawdamizer
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, Sawdamizer said:

Terry

Or, as mentioned, pet names. Terrance becomes Cum Guzzling Crotch Cricket.

I mean, if you're able to consciously dictate what you call the person while having sex, then more power to you. I don't have that ability. I'm not thinking ahead here. It's all I can manage to not say the name of whatever ex I may or may not be thinking about in the moment. 

47 minutes ago, Skiles said:

I mean, if you're able to consciously dictate what you call the person while having sex, then more power to you. I don't have that ability. I'm not thinking ahead here. It's all I can manage to not say the name of whatever ex I may or may not be thinking about in the moment. 

So... aren't pet names easier for all?

Also, in all of my experience, I have never called someone the wrong name during sex... even my sloppiest, drunkest excursions.

2 hours ago, Skiles said:

Because it's weird?

In case the “the what” meme doesn't work for you, have a “they what” meme!  : memes

9 hours ago, Skiles said:

Because it's weird?

nah, its just names.

i got like a million relatives and if i let that bother me, i would just give up on ever dating. if somehow im in the middle of sex and my mind somehow wanders off like that, i would still power through. not gonna let something silly get in my way. 

10 hours ago, Sawdamizer said:

So... aren't pet names easier for all?

Also, in all of my experience, I have never called someone the wrong name during sex... even my sloppiest, drunkest excursions.

Again, pet names are fine. And during sex, it isn't calling them the wrong name that's the issue. It's calling them by their name in the heat of the moment.