UnevenEdge

FOOTBALL 2019: SMACK TALK & SHIT POSTING

1pooh4u

most the biggest news this week was the fight and the kapernick fiasco.

with the exception of a few games, it was kinda of a boring week on the field. 

the nfl really screwed up again with kapernick. 

so they gave him another shot, with only 4 days notifications,  and they wanted him to make a decision in two hours time. and all sorts of weird rules and stipulations. needless to say it all fell apart. 

9 hours ago, Distortedreasoning said:

most the biggest news this week was the fight and the kapernick fiasco.

with the exception of a few games, it was kinda of a boring week on the field. 

the nfl really screwed up again with kapernick. 

so they gave him another shot, with only 4 days notifications,  and they wanted him to make a decision in two hours time. and all sorts of weird rules and stipulations. needless to say it all fell apart. 

I think Kapernick and his people actually fucked over the NFL. They changed venues with an hour notice and the “unusual waiver” was a workers comp waiver. If Kap got hurt he wouldn’t be covered under NFL workers comp

like fuck the NFL, but let’s not twist shit up to make Kap and his people look like they weren’t assholes too 😬

Kaepernick wanted Nike to be there to possibly make a commercial. He had that HS booked already and security. He wasn’t going to not play games with the NFL.  I don’t think he really wants to play for the NFL anyway 

he lost half the teams that were going to watch the workout when he switched the venue. 

Dumb games. Fuck Kaepernick and the NFL. 🤷‍♀️

• Like 1

13 hours ago, 1pooh4u said:

Kaepernick wanted Nike to be there to possibly make a commercial. He had that HS booked already and security. He wasn’t going to not play games with the NFL.  I don’t think he really wants to play for the NFL anyway 

he lost half the teams that were going to watch the workout when he switched the venue. 

Dumb games. Fuck Kaepernick and the NFL. 🤷‍♀️

it feels like theres a lot of conflicting stories. 

like this is the first i heard of nike being brought up. i just read that he just wanted the event to be recorded. 

also i know the nfl put a lot of stipulations on it and not just a simple workers comp waiver. it was about actually not being guaranteed employment. the switching of the venues happened because they couldnt meet kaps demand. 

he might not want to play but maybe he does want to have a job while he's able to? 

fuck i dont want to work either but i show up everyday cuz i have to get paid. 

not sating kap isnt an asshole in the situation, but this is the nfl we are talking about here. 

are we really going to pretend they had any good intentions.

7 hours ago, Distortedreasoning said:

it feels like theres a lot of conflicting stories. 

like this is the first i heard of nike being brought up. i just read that he just wanted the event to be recorded. 

also i know the nfl put a lot of stipulations on it and not just a simple workers comp waiver. it was about actually not being guaranteed employment. the switching of the venues happened because they couldnt meet kaps demand. 

he might not want to play but maybe he does want to have a job while he's able to? 

fuck i dont want to work either but i show up everyday cuz i have to get paid. 

not sating kap isnt an asshole in the situation, but this is the nfl we are talking about here. 

are we really going to pretend they had any good intentions.

I don’t think either party had good intentions in this case.  Too much bullshit keeps coming out little by little.  Why would the NFL have him sign papers stating he’s not guaranteed employment?  When does the NFL ever guarantee employment to someone working out for them?

As for Kaepernick wanting to work?  He’s making money with Nike, he doesn’t need the NFL.  I have the feeling each party had no other interest other than to try and make the other look bad. 

The latest in the Garrett-Rudolph brawl from last Thursday night.

Cliff notes: Soooooo...Myles Garrett's indefinite suspension was upheld. Also, Garrett accused Steelers quarterback Mason Rudolph of instigating everything by using a racial slur at the Browns defensive star. The Steelers say Rudolph denies saying anything racist.

-------------------------------------

My opinion: First, let's address the elephant in the room. Guys -- no, people in general say things in the heat of the moment they regret after the fact all the time. That doesn't excuse anything though, especially in today's culture. So if Rudolph did say it, he was wrong. (He, through the Steelers' front office, has denied saying anything.) If he didn't say it, Garrett owes him an apology for trying to damage the young man's reputation.

Second, Myles Garrett knows he did wrong. I mean ripping Rudolph's helmet off and clubbing him over the head with it is absolutely not okay. That could've resulted in a career-ending, maybe even a life-threatening injury. He's lucky he didn't severely injure Rudolph. Also, back to point number one, if Rudolph did in fact use a racial slur, I can see Garrett losing his head to some degree as a result. But nothing, and I mean NOTHING, excuses what he did. And for all we know, he might be trying to justify his actions by making an explosive accusation such as this. Then again, he also might be saying "I know what I did was inexcusable, but here's why I reacted the way I did." Almost like a case of Chris Rock saying "I'm not saying it's right, but I understand."

So really, Myles Garrett's actions a week ago were wrong. That goes without saying. If he was provoked by a racial slur directed at him from Mason Rudolph, that makes Rudolph wrong as well. Neither action is okay. BOTH WOULD BE IN THE WRONG!

@1pooh4u, @scoobdog, what are your thoughts?

Edited by Sir Teddybar Gut Fullung

1 hour ago, Sir Teddybar Gut Fullung said:

The latest in the Garrett-Rudolph brawl from last Thursday night.

Cliff notes: Soooooo...Myles Garrett's indefinite suspension was upheld. Also, Garrett accused Steelers quarterback Mason Rudolph of instigating everything by using a racial slur at the Browns defensive star. The Steelers say Rudolph denies saying anything racist.

-------------------------------------

My opinion: First, let's address the elephant in the room. Guys -- no, people in general say things in the heat of the moment they regret after the fact all the time. That doesn't excuse anything though, especially in today's culture. So if Rudolph did say it, he was wrong. (He, through the Steelers' front office, has denied saying anything.) If he didn't say it, Garrett owes him an apology for trying to damage the young man's reputation.

Second, Myles Garrett knows he did wrong. I mean ripping Rudolph's helmet off and clubbing him over the head with it is absolutely not okay. That could've resulted in a career-ending, maybe even a life-threatening injury. He's lucky he didn't severely injure Rudolph. Also, back to point number one, if Rudolph did in fact use a racial slur, I can see Garrett losing his head to some degree as a result. But nothing, and I mean NOTHING, excuses what he did. And for all we know, he might be trying to justify his actions by making an explosive accusation such as this. Then again, he also might be saying "I know what I did was inexcusable, but here's why I reacted the way I did." Almost like a case of Chris Rock saying "I'm not saying it's right, but I understand."

So really, Myles Garrett's actions a week ago were wrong. That goes without saying. If he was provoked by a racial slur directed at him from Mason Rudolph, that makes Rudolph wrong as well. Neither action is okay. BOTH WOULD BE IN THE WRONG!

@1pooh4u, @scoobdog, what are your thoughts?

I don’t know if I actually believe a racial slur was used. Seems to me that would’ve been the first thing Garett would have said. Second Rudolph should be suspended too. We all saw the replay where he hit and attempted to pull off Garett’s helmet first. 

I don’t think Garett should be suspended indefinitely either. 

7 minutes ago, 1pooh4u said:

I don’t know if I actually believe a racial slur was used. Seems to me that would’ve been the first thing Garett would have said. Second Rudolph should be suspended too. We all saw the replay where he hit and attempted to pull off Garett’s helmet first. 

I don’t think Garett should be suspended indefinitely either. 

I agree with you on everything, but they're going after Garrett for using Rudolph's helmet as a weapon. Also, Jason Whitlock said the same thing you did regarding the racial slur accusation. Why wait a week to say something? Why not say something while talking to the press after the game? Therefore, I don't buy it. (But again, if it really did happen, Rudolph owes Garrett, the Cleveland Browns, the Pittsburgh Steelers, and the NFL an apology for letting everything get to this point.)

• Like 1

I seem to recall Garrett being vague when offering his apology immediately after the incident.  He wasn't accusing Rudolph or anyone else of anything, per se, but it really seemed odd that he would lose his cool like that especially after its clear that there is jawing just before he starts swinging.  So, it doesn't seem unlikely that Garrett at least sincerely thought Rudolph used the epithet before he started swinging.

Regardless of whether or not it was acceptable, an indefinite ban is not in line.  It amounts to Goodell being like a parent that tell his kids that he'll "reconsider" an indefinite grounding as soon as he thinks the've learned their lesson.  There are a lot of problems with this approach, and it does nothing to address the larger issue of aggression American football.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Sir Teddybar Gut Fullung said:

I agree with you on everything, but they're going after Garrett for using Rudolph's helmet as a weapon. Also, Jason Whitlock said the same thing you did regarding the racial slur accusation. Why wait a week to say something? Why not say something while talking to the press after the game?

There were some subtle clues that there was more than just him tugging on his helmet.

4 minutes ago, scoobdog said:

There were some subtle clues that there was more than just him tugging on his helmet.

True, but if Mason Rudolph really did call Myles Garrett a derogatory race-based name, why did Garrett wait until now to say something? That's what I want to know. I think it's a fair question to ask, no?

Just now, Sir Teddybar Gut Fullung said:

True, but if Mason Rudolph really did call Myles Garrett a derogatory race-based name, why did Garrett wait until now to say something? That's what I want to know. I think it's a fair question to ask, no?

Not really, no.  Like you said, using a helmet as a cudgel is disproportional regardless of what Rudolph said so what he said has no bearing.

36 minutes ago, Sir Teddybar Gut Fullung said:

I agree with you on everything, but they're going after Garrett for using Rudolph's helmet as a weapon. Also, Jason Whitlock said the same thing you did regarding the racial slur accusation. Why wait a week to say something? Why not say something while talking to the press after the game? Therefore, I don't buy it. (But again, if it really did happen, Rudolph owes Garrett, the Cleveland Browns, the Pittsburgh Steelers, and the NFL an apology for letting everything get to this point.)

If he did indeed use a slur he needs to be released immediately. I haven’t heard any teammates saying they heard the slur from Rudolph.   

I just think indefinite can be a long time. It could be next week or next year. Never. Too harsh imo. 

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, scoobdog said:

I seem to recall Garrett being vague when offering his apology immediately after the incident.  He wasn't accusing Rudolph or anyone else of anything, per se, but it really seemed odd that he would lose his cool like that especially after its clear that there is jawing just before he starts swinging.  So, it doesn't seem unlikely that Garrett at least sincerely thought Rudolph used the epithet before he started swinging.

Regardless of whether or not it was acceptable, an indefinite ban is not in line.  It amounts to Goodell being like a parent that tell his kids that he'll "reconsider" an indefinite grounding as soon as he thinks the've learned their lesson.  There are a lot of problems with this approach, and it does nothing to address the larger issue of aggression American football.

Absolutely. We should be teaching kids that sportsmanship is the way to go. And while trash talk is part of the game, going after family members (that don't play the game), race, and sexual orientation shouldn't be. The league needs to clean that up, too.

But what is sportsmanship when it comes to a violent sport?  Setting aside the obvious issues surrounding things like domestic violence and abuse, those things that have global social ramifications, where is the line between acceptable and unacceptable aggression?

14 minutes ago, scoobdog said:

But what is sportsmanship when it comes to a violent sport?  Setting aside the obvious issues surrounding things like domestic violence and abuse, those things that have global social ramifications, where is the line between acceptable and unacceptable aggression?

Playing your heart out until you hear the whistle, then helping the other guy up. That's a start. As for the line between what is acceptable and what isn't, it's hard to define right now, but I do think the league is getting there.

Just now, Sir Teddybar Gut Fullung said:

Playing your heart out until you hear the whistle, then help the other guy up. That's a start. As for the line between what is acceptable and what isn't, it's hard to define right now, but I do think the league is getting there.

You're missing something.  In particular "Playing your heart out" includes tackling, does it not?

4 hours ago, Sir Teddybar Gut Fullung said:

Yes. That goes without saying. Tackling correctly is crutial to that. No headhunting.

Targeting has always been illegal (used to be called spearing).  Studies have shown that even normally legal tackles, particularly those that are at speed can still cause brain injury.

Really, we can go at this forever:  the point isn't to specifically demonize the sport as it is - I'm just pointing out that aggressive football players that exhibit problematic behavior is part of the "acceptable" risk that comes with the sport as its currently formed.

1 hour ago, scoobdog said:

Targeting has always been illegal (used to be called spearing).  Studies have shown that even normally legal tackles, particularly those that are at speed can still cause brain injury.

Really, we can go at this forever:  the point isn't to specifically demonize the sport as it is - I'm just pointing out that aggressive football players that exhibit problematic behavior is part of the "acceptable" risk that comes with the sport as its currently formed.

Yes, of course. I'm just trying to find a solution to the problem, is all. Maybe there is no solution. Well, at least not right now.

1 hour ago, 1pooh4u said:

F4271911-9461-4BF2-9C7B-A050BFC9C7A3.jpeg

Nah. John Elway. XD

Anyway, great win for the Texans last night. We did what we needed to do to win when it mattered most. That said, the booth should've called down to the refs and review the play where it looks like Deshaun Watson got stripped of the ball. (It was during the last two minutes of the game.). If nothing else, they can take a look and say they couldn't tell definitively who recovered it, so the Texans will retain the ball. To not even call down to the refs and trigger a review is baffling to me. The Colts may have gotten robbed of a chance to either tie and extend the game or win. We have instant replay for a reason: for plays like the one I described. What a bad decision.

• Like 3

colts got robbed for sure. this year has been really bad for instant replay. i get why they put it on, to try and correct obvious miss calls by the refs but so far none of these new P.I challenges ever get over turned. even when theres other penalties being committed and that makes it more frustrating to watch. at least for me. 

my myles garret situation take; that game was pretty ugly to watch not just the attempted helmet attack. but there were also other browns players who were taking some very cheap shots. i think there were like 3 steeler players in concussion that night? something is wrong with that team and its culture. coach and gm should also get scrutinize at the very least. 

kap; @1pooh4u; i'll just leave it at this.

if the nfl was really serious about this they could have done a few things to show some good faith in their part.

-schedule the workout on a tuesday, the days workouts are normally scheduled. saturdays are bad since most teams are prepping on those days.

-maybe give him more than just a 3 days notice.

-take some time to work with kaps agent to make some arrangements to come to a mutually agreeable release form.

why even go through the effort of creating a workout in the first place? 

anyways, looks like our teams are playing this week. could be a trap game. your team has the best run d in the league. and darnold has been on a streak! :o

• Like 1

On 11/22/2019 at 7:23 PM, Distortedreasoning said:

colts got robbed for sure. this year has been really bad for instant replay. i get why they put it on, to try and correct obvious miss calls by the refs but so far none of these new P.I challenges ever get over turned. even when theres other penalties being committed and that makes it more frustrating to watch. at least for me. 

my myles garret situation take; that game was pretty ugly to watch not just the attempted helmet attack. but there were also other browns players who were taking some very cheap shots. i think there were like 3 steeler players in concussion that night? something is wrong with that team and its culture. coach and gm should also get scrutinize at the very least.

We'll never know if the Colts would have won or not because the booth made a non-call. Again, there should've been a review. (And I'm a Texans fan.)

Not to excuse them, but I think they're trying to establish a culture that doesn't like being pushed around...or something like that. Having said that, considering the fact they're still in playoff contention, they should be trying to channel their aggression into playing fundamentally sound football, especially on defense. Now then, switching gears a little, I think I saw somewhere that Mason Rudolph was getting fined $50K for his part in the melee that took place Nov. 14. Granted, Rudolph's not completely innocent in this, but does anybody remember how much Myles Garrett got fined in addition to his indefinite suspension? I want to say it was less than Rudolph's fine, but I could be wrong. By the way, Garrett's indefinite suspension is absolutely ludicrous. I can see for the rest of the season and the entire playoffs. But indefinitely? Come on, Goodell.

18 minutes ago, Sir Teddybar Gut Fullung said:

We'll never know if the Colts would have won or not because the booth made a non-call. Again, there should've been a review. (And I'm a Texans fan.)

Not to excuse them, but I think they're trying to establish a culture that doesn't like being pushed around...or something like that. Having said that, considering the fact they're still in playoff contention, they should be trying to channel their aggression into playing fundamentally sound football, especially on defense. Now then, switching gears a little, I think I saw somewhere that Mason Rudolph was getting fined $50K for his part in the melee that took place Nov. 14. Granted, Rudolph's not completely innocent in this, but does anybody remember how much Myles Garrett got fined in addition to his indefinite suspension? I want to say it was less than Rudolph's fine, but I could be wrong. By the way, Garrett's indefinite suspension is absolutely ludicrous. I can see for the rest of the season and the entire playoffs. But indefinitely? Come on, Goodell.

yeah its a what if for the colts scoring if they recover the fumble, but thats not the point. the point was the refs had a blatant miss call at a critical juncture of the game, and still missed it again after replay. still a solid win for your team but just leaves a bad taste for the rest of us.

im not very sympathetic towards garrett and am ok with his suspension. i guess the browns are still mathematically in the playoffs but with so many teams ahead of them, they got a low percentage chance. their remaining schedule is on the easier side so they have that going for them but they will need to at least beat ravens or steelers and win the rest. i think 9-7 gives you a chance to get in. 

1 hour ago, Distortedreasoning said:

yeah its a what if for the colts scoring if they recover the fumble, but thats not the point. the point was the refs had a blatant miss call at a critical juncture of the game, and still missed it again after replay. still a solid win for your team but just leaves a bad taste for the rest of us.

im not very sympathetic towards garrett and am ok with his suspension. i guess the browns are still mathematically in the playoffs but with so many teams ahead of them, they got a low percentage chance. their remaining schedule is on the easier side so they have that going for them but they will need to at least beat ravens or steelers and win the rest. i think 9-7 gives you a chance to get in. 

It kinda left a sour taste in my mouth, too. And we played well enough to win up to that particular point. It turns a well-earned victory into one that looks like a fluky one.

I'm not either, but at least give us a definite number (or term for those who may want him banned for life). I can't wait to see how the Steelers respond, especially in lieu of everything that went down they first time they played the Browns this season. And if the Browns' chances to make the playoffs increase, that might turn into a must-win for them. You know the Steel City will boo their everlovin' asses off as soon as they see the Browns emerge from the visiting tunnel.

9 hours ago, 1pooh4u said:

If the Jets win this game I wanna see the NY papers spin it to make the Jets win look like a loss 💩

jets have the game on lock and pooh over here still saying things like "if we win" lmao! 😂

please post the newspaper headline, i dont think they could find a way spin this solid win as a loss lol.

i was really afraid of this game, and was right. this is the most impressive i've seen the jets all year. i've always talked good about darnold is and he looked fantastic today. unfortunately for them, they got a brutal remaining schedule after they play both the phins and bungels at home. they have to win out and beat the ravens, steelers, and bills. i could actually see them stealing 1 or 2 of those games. but they need all the wins to even have a shot of playoffs. 

as for the raiders, this one was one they werent supposed to drop. i looked at the highlights and it seemed like everything that could go wrong, went wrong. we still can move the ball against anyone but we need to get points. our defense just cant get stops when we need them. i dont think we beat the chiefs next week at arrowhead so that leaves us with having to win our last 4 against middling teams and division rivals. 10-6 should get us the wild card but we cant sleep on any team. 

niners get an impressive win against the packers. i can see them beating anyone. 

pats beat the cowboys. i think both teams are overrated. brady has looked like shit for most the season. 

saints and panthers looked like a good game. saints should get the #2 seed. 

seachickens and egles, saw some of it. seahawks looked good but i dont think they beat the niners or the saints in the playoffs. tho it wouldnt surprise me if they did. 

• Haha 1

On 11/19/2019 at 4:34 PM, Ginguy said:

Jets won two in a row, and have a chance for a hat trick....

Someone better be with Pooh if they do, for CPR purposes....

Glad to see you made it Pooh....

Also, NY sport media are the real dumpster fire.

• Like 2