UnevenEdge

Trumpist Insurrection in DC

ZoomBubba

25 minutes ago, SwimModSponges said:

I can't believe we've gotten to a place in america where republicans worked with armed insurectionists to take them on recon tours, disable panic buttons in the offices of their colleagues, reduce police presence so the crowds could easily enter the building, refuse to send back-up once the capitol was overwhelmed, attempt to steal national secrets to sell to russians, plant pipe bombs, get within 100 feet of assasinating the vice president and speaker of the house, kill a police officer...

And people are like "lol, thats just Trump being Trump, calm down."

Without that one officer baiting the crowd away from the door behind which congresspeople sat huddled thinking they were going to die, i guarantee we would have seen politicians assassinated on live television. 

"Oh they wouldn't have actually done anything."

They beat a cop to death.

Can you imagine what they would have done had they walked into the room with Nancy Pelosi?

Never before has an enemy lowered the American flag over the capitol and replaced it with their own, until now.

its just a toaster relax sponges

• Haha 2

5 minutes ago, SwimModSponges said:

Brian sicknick was hit in the head with a fire extinguisher and died at the hospital. 

Your doublethink is astonishing.

Sicknick wasn't beaten to death. He sustained an injury at the scene that killed him later. Prior to his hospitalization he was up and active.

For days you were claiming this was Sicknick even after it was repeatedly pointed out to you that wasn't the case: https://heavy.com/news/capitol-police-officer-beaten-attacked-video/

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, SwimModSponges said:

"The officer wasn't beaten to death, he was beaten and later died from the injuries."

Gtfo with that shit.

And i was wrong, the police officer they beat with the flag wasn’t the one who was murdered, just the one who was assaulted with a deadly weapon.

Beating means that he was struck repeatedly. There is no mention of that happening to Sicknick.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, ZoomBubba said:

Beating means that he was struck repeatedly. There is no mention of that happening to Sicknick.

Gtfo with that splitting of hairs bullshit. 

Motherfucker got hit with a fire extinguisher and died because of it.

Just because he wasn't hit twice by a fire extinguisher you're saying its no big deal. 

And they say move goalposts. 

• D'oh 1

2 hours ago, SwimModSponges said:

I can't believe we've gotten to a place in america where republicans worked with armed insurectionists

Given all the things that happen in the world it's not too unbelievable. Endorsed by David never heard of him Duke. 

But these things kept being said and Rs were mad at being lumped with the racists and the Ds lumped all the Rs with the racists. All of this was kind of in the tea leaves, let's be happy it started last summer and not this one.

So Pompeo's spewing a list of inane bullshit proclamations on Twitter that will have exactly zero standing as soon as they're reversed within the first 24 hours of the new administration, and the MAGAts are practically cumming themselves seeing the frequency of the tweets as some sort of "countdown timer." Imagine living your life being cucked that hard.

• Like 1

So Axios has a little series about Trump's final days purportedly from someone very close to the whole process, the articles aren't terribly long. Considering it's supposed to be a podcast I don't know if that has more info cause I haven't listened, if anyone does let me know cause I don't even know if I will. The reading seems fine to me but if the podcast is the same stuff I'd rather read.

https://www.axios.com/off-the-rails-episodes-cf6da824-83ac-45a6-a33c-ed8b00094e39.html

Edited by RainyDayJizz#35
I am a giant idiot

On 1/18/2021 at 4:52 AM, ZoomBubba said:

It's not one of those qualities that is appealing when Trump and others of his political/psychological bent do it. 

I meant to reply to this but I didn't have thought energy for it at that moment. I have never thought highly of Trump since I was aware of his existence. He is completely incapable of inspiring respect. Bernie and AOC are about the only politicians I can think of respecting, possibly others in the squad. Mitt Romney who stuck to his guns and remained the most boring person ever the whole time. John McCain. Very few of these people deserve respect, the political spectrum is so out of whack with reality I have to wonder if being rich is like living on another planet.

Trump is the least deserving person of respect in any avenue. He's been a massive failure his entire life that survived by manipulating his trust fund and courts to keep him afloat. I personally think he was taking advice from Putin on how to keep power he loved being president so much. I don't have a specific desire to see his life fall apart, but the fact that it has a high probability brings me a joy of seeing bad people get what they deserve. I don't want him stoned, but if his actions have led to ruining a dynasty he was trying to install in America I can be proud to be American a little bit.

When I was running this morning I noticed one of the remaining trumpers still flying a trump flag had their truck in the driveway running warming it up. This house never has any activity in the early hours that I run. I wonder if they're going on a trip. I wonder if I found a terrorist

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Poof said:

When I was running this morning I noticed one of the remaining trumpers still flying a trump flag had their truck in the driveway running warming it up. This house never has any activity in the early hours that I run. I wonder if they're going on a trip. I wonder if I found a terrorist

In the town I'm from, but don't live, they've been having weekly gatherings at a restaurant across from Walmart where they hop in their Trump-flag decorated Trumps and have a parade across the county. Not sure what the purpose is aside from saying "a lot of dumb rednecks live here!"

• Haha 2
  • D'oh 1

2 minutes ago, ZoomBubba said:

In the town I'm from, but don't live, they've been having weekly gatherings at a restaurant across from Walmart where they hop in their Trump-flag decorated Trumps and have a parade across the county. Not sure what the purpose is aside from saying "a lot of dumb rednecks live here!"

Plz tell me its an Applebees

• Haha 2

So on the first morning of Biden's presidency another house took down all trump signage. It was up yesterday morning. Now nothing. Leaving only 2 houses along my 3 mile route w/any trump stuff out. One being the guy who took down 90% of his many trump signs after the capitol raid. But heres the thing. He still has the trump flag out today but it's rolled up and tied. So with another reluctant step toward capitulation on his part that's really like one and half houses. Technically still out tho so I'm counting it

2 minutes ago, SwimModSponges said:

From this story:

There is no indication that Charles Flynn agrees with his brother, who was a vocal adherent of disputing President Joe Biden's victory on behalf of the former president.

Every press organization has been emphasizing that from what I've read and heard today. As far as any of this goes it's probably the first time anyone has even heard of his brother, let alone mentioned him. As far as anyone has said, he's a guy who does his job and there's no evidence that he's involved with extremist groups. 

Here's his description of what happened:

"I entered the room after the call began and departed prior to the call ending, as I believed a decision was imminent from (then-Army Secretary Ryan McCarthy) and I needed to be in my office to assist in executing the decision," Flynn said in a statement released to CNN. There was no clear answer about how long Flynn was on the call or whether he contributed to the conversation.

Anyway, there's going to be an investigation. We'll find out one way or the other, but it's not helpful to start building a conspiracy around Flynn's brother. There's been nothing to dispute his explanation and no evidence of pre-plotting within the military to let the rioters take over the Capitol. 

• Like 1

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2021-01-22/trump-campaign-paid-organizers-of-pre-riot-rally-2-7-million

The biggest recipient of campaign funds according to the report, was Event Strategies Inc., which was paid more than $1.7 million by Trump’s campaign and joint fundraising committee. The firm’s owners, Justin Caporale and Tim Unes, served as rally production manager and stage manager, respectively

https://www.facebook.com/241446929332714/posts/january-22-2021-fridayfor-all-that-the-news-has-gotten-much-calmer-and-more-stra/2578923498918367/

and still we are finding out it just gets worse and worse  analysis from Heather Cox Richardson:

January 22, 2021 (Friday)

For all that the news has gotten much calmer and more straightforward since Wednesday, we did indeed get an old-fashioned (or at least a past-administration typical) news dump tonight. 

It turns out that, in the last, desperate days of his attempt to keep his grip on the presidency, Trump plotted with a lawyer in the Department of Justice, Jeffrey Clark, to oust the acting attorney general. The plan was to replace Jeffrey A. Rosen, who replaced Attorney General William Barr when he left on December 23, with Clark himself. Clark would then press Trump’s attacks on the election results. 

A story by Katie Benner in the New York Times explains that as soon as Rosen replaced Barr, Trump began to pressure Rosen to challenge the election results, appoint special counsels to investigate disproven voter fraud, and look into irregularities in the Dominion voting machines (Dominion is now suing pro-Trump lawyer Sidney Powell for defamation). Rosen refused. He told Trump the Justice Department had found no evidence of anything that would have changed the election results. 

Trump complained about Rosen and moved to replace him with Clark, who promised to stop Congress from counting the certified Electoral College votes on January 6. This struggle came to a crisis on Sunday, January 3, 2021, when the news broke that Trump had called Georgia Secretary of State Brad Raffensperger to pressure him to “find” the votes Trump needed to win the state. That evening, the senior officials at the Department of Justice agreed to resign as a group if Trump put Clark in as the new acting attorney general. 

The vow that the leaders of the Department of Justice would quit if Trump tried to demote Rosen and put Clark in his place made Trump back off from his plan to pervert the Department of Justice. Three days later, rioters stormed the Capitol. 

In addition to this bombshell story, there is more news about the Capitol attack. Court documents filed on Tuesday reveal that some of the rioters had made plans ahead of time to attack the Capitol, and had planned to “arrest” lawmakers on charges of “treason” and “election fraud.” 

An investigation by NPR reveals that nearly 1 in 5 of the rioters charged so far have a history of serving in the military (only about 7% of Americans in general are military veterans). Prosecutors have indicated they are planning to bring charges of seditious conspiracy against some of the suspects, charges that, if proven, bring up to 20-year jail terms.

President Biden has asked new Director of National Intelligence Avril Haines to assess the dangers of domestic violent extremism. Press Secretary Jen Psaki today said of the effort: "We are committed to developing policies and strategies based on facts, on objective and rigorous analysis and on our respect for constitutionally protected free speech and political activities."

Congress today set the calendar for the impeachment trial of the former president for incitement of insurrection. The House will formally deliver the article of impeachment to the Senate on Monday evening. The senators will be sworn in as jurors on Tuesday, and then the Senate will turn to confirming Biden’s nominees and considering the coronavirus stimulus package Biden wants while Trump’s lawyers and the House impeachment managers prepare their briefs and arguments. The trial will begin February 9, and is expected to be shorter than Trump’s first impeachment trial, since the charges are simpler and the evidence clearer.

At stake in this impeachment trial is more than the fate of Donald Trump, who is, after all, no longer president. At stake is, in part, the fate of the Republican Party. A number of Republicans who themselves egged on the rioters by claiming to distrust the election results are trying to discredit the trial and say it is pointless. 

This wing of the party is led by former chair of the Judiciary Committee Lindsey Graham, who is especially eager to have the issue go away since one of its charges reflects on him. The article of impeachment notes that Trump had tried “to subvert and obstruct the certification of the results of the 2020 Presidential election” with, among other things, “a phone call on January 2, 2021, during which President Trump urged the secretary of state of Georgia, Brad Raffensperger, to ‘find’ enough votes to overturn the Georgia Presidential election results and threatened Secretary Raffensperger if he failed to do so.”

We know about that phone call because Raffensperger recorded it, and Raffensperger said he did so because Lindsey Graham had made a similar call. Raffensperger said he wanted some insurance in case Trump misrepresented his call as Graham had. 

As pro-Trump Republicans are defending the former president and downplaying the attempted coup, along with their own role in the discrediting of Biden’s victory, other party members would very much like to see the party purged of the Trump element. With his speech condemning Trump for feeding lies to the rioters and provoking them, Minority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-KY) seems to be trying to lead his party away from the Trump personality cult. 

Meanwhile, the Senate still has not begun to organize since McConnell is insisting on a promise from Democrats that they will not end the filibuster. Senate Majority Leader Chuck Schumer (D-NY) says that proposal is unacceptable. 

Press Secretary Psaki reiterated today that Biden’s position on the filibuster hasn’t changed; he does not want to end it. But she tied that declaration to his desire to get a coronavirus relief package through Congress on a bipartisan basis. There is a carrot and a stick in that statement: the carrot is that Biden is offering to share the credit for such a package with Republicans; the stick is that if they block such a measure entirely, Biden will likely back whatever Schumer does to get a bill through. 

There are two places where lawmakers have agreed lately, though. Last night, the leadership of the Capitol Police abruptly moved National Guard soldiers to a garage for their break time. These troops are deployed to protect Washington, D.C., against domestic insurrectionists and have worked grueling hours. When news of the soldiers lying down in parking spaces reached lawmakers of both parties, they rushed to get the service members back indoors. 

This morning, First Lady Dr. Jill Biden visited the troops bearing chocolate chip cookies. This move was reminiscent of First Lady Eleanor Roosevelt’s 1933 visit to the Bonus Marchers after the Herbert Hoover administration had tried to destroy their encampment with troops. Dr. Biden thanked the soldiers and recalled her son Beau’s time with the Delaware Army National Guard in Iraq. “The National Guard always holds a special place in the hearts of all the Bidens,” she told them. Dr. Biden’s visit was an important indicator of the tenor of this White House. 

In another bipartisan move, lawmakers of both parties have introduced measures in both houses of Congress to award Officer Eugene Goodman a Congressional Gold Medal. Goodman is the Capitol Police officer who led rioters away from the Senate chamber on January 6 and thus bought enough time for the senators there to escape to safety. The Congressional Gold Medal is one of the two highest civilian awards in the United States. In our history, only 163 of them have been cast. 

The Senate bill reads: “By putting his own life on the line and successfully, singlehandedly leading insurrectionists away from the floor of the Senate Chamber, Officer Eugene Goodman performed his duty to protect the Congress with distinction, and by his actions Officer Goodman left an indelible mark on American history.”

Edited by 1pooh4u
  • Like 2

Our military is getting radicalized by having nothing but Fox News blasting at them 24/7.  That 1 in 5 of the rioters were military affiliated, while one 7% of Americans serve in the military is really something. How are we different than any other fundamentalist country.  I’ll tell you....we aren’t. ☹️

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3