UnevenEdge

BIG MONEY IDEA! Do You Want To Die At The Bottom Of The Sea?

DragonSinger

Someone asked this in not so many words and rich people said yes. Guess what happened next?

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-65934887

"

A massive search and rescue effort is under way in the North Atlantic after a submersible exploring the wreck of the Titanic went missing on Sunday.

The research vessel Polar Prince lost contact with the crew of the Titan sub an hour and 45 minutes into its dive. The US Coast Guard estimated the sub had between 70 and 96 hours of emergency oxygen, as of 17:00 EST (22:00 BST) on Monday.

Tour firm OceanGate said it was exploring all options to get the crew back safely, and government agencies have joined the rescue operation."

The company is even named OceanGate to make it easier to discuss when shit goes south. Very convenient.

Additional info about these idjits:

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Raptorpat said:

I saw somewhere, and I don't know that I believe it, that the submersible was controlled by a 20+ year old Logitech controller.

CNN confirmed it during a prior interview with the submersible operator.

Edited by Jman

17 minutes ago, Raptorpat said:

I saw somewhere, and I don't know that I believe it, that the submersible was controlled by a 20+ year old Logitech controller.

I think in the video I posted, the controller looked wireless too. I cannot understand the multitude of terrible decisions that went into this. I won't even deal with bluetooth/wireless shit on most of my appliances, and they used that shit inside of their bootleg submarine.

• Like 1

At the risk of being contrarian here, I think we're reducing a fairly complicated submersible to its intentionally simple interfaces.  Since there's so little on television to see, I tend to gravitate toward the Discovery and Science channels and in one, Josh Gates' Tales from The Explorer's Club, the were recounting the first dive into the Mariana Trench in a submersible.  A later explorer more recently took another dive in a more modern submersible and it had similar oversimplified controller device.  To all of us on the outside looking in, that might seem ridiculous, but I believe the purpose of using older controller technology is because it's rudimentary and has a compact control layout.  This isn't a Virgina Class nuke, it's not meant for speed or manuverability at shallow depths, its a deep sea device that's designed to have the minimum propulsion and the simplest of systems.

I believe it was also mentioned that OceanGate is the company that was recently responsible for doing the detailed sonar of the Titanic reck a few months back.  This isn't just some kind of extreme tour outfit.

• Like 1

^ Companies like this can make some tech leaps while also pulling some fuckshit

The two aren't mutually exclusive.

nVhqKiw_d.webp?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&

Yeah this thing imploded.

Imagine death coming so swiftly and completely that your brain and nerves can't even send or receive a pain signal before they've been atomized into fine red mist.

Edited by MasqueradeOverture
  • Like 1

52 minutes ago, scoobdog said:

At the risk of being contrarian here, I think we're reducing a fairly complicated submersible to its intentionally simple interfaces.  Since there's so little on television to see, I tend to gravitate toward the Discovery and Science channels and in one, Josh Gates' Tales from The Explorer's Club, the were recounting the first dive into the Mariana Trench in a submersible.  A later explorer more recently took another dive in a more modern submersible and it had similar oversimplified controller device.  To all of us on the outside looking in, that might seem ridiculous, but I believe the purpose of using older controller technology is because it's rudimentary and has a compact control layout.  This isn't a Virgina Class nuke, it's not meant for speed or manuverability at shallow depths, its a deep sea device that's designed to have the minimum propulsion and the simplest of systems.

I believe it was also mentioned that OceanGate is the company that was recently responsible for doing the detailed sonar of the Titanic reck a few months back.  This isn't just some kind of extreme tour outfit.

A controller is one thing, but wireless? Naw, there looks to be too many shitty shortcuts that was always leading to some fuck shit.

31 minutes ago, DragonSinger said:

A controller is one thing, but wireless? Naw, there looks to be too many shitty shortcuts that was always leading to some fuck shit.

It’s not like Bluetooth uses a lot of power or is unstable on its own.  
Regardless, it looks like there were serious manufacturing deficiencies that were apparent well before this trip that probably should have warned of impending doom.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, scoobdog said:

It’s not like Bluetooth uses a lot of power or is unstable on its own.  
Regardless, it looks like there were serious manufacturing deficiencies that were apparent well before this trip that probably should have warned of impending doom.

I'm not saying the controller is what probably went wrong. I'm saying taking an unnecessary risk like that is indicative of the owner's attitude toward the rest of the sub which is why I'm not surprised by this.

• Like 1

Counterpoint: Wireless controls means one less point of entry/failure by not needing to wire from controls to motors. Probably saved a few bucks by not having to figure out how to wire it up correctly. Saving money is clearly more important than safety measures..

34 minutes ago, MasqueradeOverture said:

AY MY BOY WAS AT A BLINK 182 CONCERT WHILE HIS STEPDAD'S FUCKING MISSING/DEAD

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA 

Guy is leveraging his stepdad's dire situation to get noticed by blink182 and to try and pick up girls. Jfc. Also he may or may not be the person that threatened a massacre and kept stalking and harassing women in Vegas a couple years ago at a rave? 

• Like 2

Latest is they’re doing a last ditch effort to save the people trapped inside.  They finally got the proper equipment or some shit. If they live through this they won’t learn a mother fuckin thing, if anything one of them, at least, will turn to religion and torture the powerless with their newfound beliefs 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Soooo....I know coming up from that pressure causes the Benz (sp). 

Isn't that caused by resurfacing too fast....so no matter what, they'd have to pull them up slowly?

I'm not following this like at all and I'm rooting for Darwin (nothing personal, but someone needs to lean from this), so I have no clue the true gravity of their current situation.

• Like 1

Bends could happen, yes. Kinda also not fully paying attention. If it is an issue, they can always throw them into a decompression chamber for a few days or weeks.

All things considered, wouldn't expect it to be an issue. Chances seem slim that thing stayed intact.

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, André Toulon said:

Isn't that caused by resurfacing too fast....so no matter what, they'd have to pull them up slowly?

I'm not following this like at all and I'm rooting for Darwin (nothing personal, but someone needs to lean from this), so I have no clue the true gravity of their current situation.

I mean they're probably already dead so I doubt that matters.

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, rpgamer said:

Bends could happen, yes. Kinda also not fully paying attention. If it is an issue, they can always throw them into a decompression chamber for a few days or weeks.

All things considered, wouldn't expect it to be an issue. Chances seem slim that thing stayed intact.

Agreed, especially after reading that they allegedly cheaped out on the porthole window too:

"In the documents, Mr. Lochridge reported learning that the viewport that lets passengers see outside the craft was only certified to work in depths of up to 1,300 meters.

That is far less than would be necessary for trips to the Titanic, which is nearly 4,000 meters below the ocean’s surface."

https://www.nytimes.com/2023/06/20/us/oceangate-titanic-missing-submersible.html

You cannot cut corners like this when dealing with going into extreme environments. There's probably so much wrong with that sub if the small and big things were given such dangerous disdain. At least the odds are in their favor that they probably died quickly.

Edited by DragonSinger
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, André Toulon said:

I don't think it happens so much when you're in a pressurized cannister.  That's more an issue for SCUBA divers who are not in protected while their body processes the oxygen-nitrogen mix in their aqualungs.

Also, you don't get the bends when you're pressed into pancake.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, DragonSinger said:

Agreed, especially after reading that they allegedly cheaped out on the porthole window too:

"In the documents, Mr. Lochridge reported learning that the viewport that lets passengers see outside the craft was only certified to work in depths of up to 1,300 meters.

That is far less than would be necessary for trips to the Titanic, which is nearly 4,000 meters below the ocean’s surface."

https://www.nytimes.com/2023/06/20/us/oceangate-titanic-missing-submersible.html

You cannot cut corners like this when dealing with going into extreme environments. There's probably so much wrong with that sub if the small and big things were given such dangerous disdain. At least the odds are in their favor that they probably died quickly.

I was reading about one of the whistleblowers that got fired.  He said something to the effect the carbon fiber hull that was manufactured for the Titan was 2" thinner than they were expecting - 5" think instead of the expected 7" thick.  I know carbon fiber can be as strong as steel, but losing roughly 28% of its mass can't be a good thing .

This is a real fucking shit show.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

So, few things here.

This dive was incredibly stupid. Like, unbelievably so. The glass that they used for the dome was rated to 1500 meters, the Titanic rests at over 4000 meters. The CEO refused to pay the company who makes the glass to create a bubble that is certified to the 4000 meters required to get down to the Titanic safely.

This craft also has been lost before. When CBS did a documentary about this the thing went MIA for over 2 hours before.

The Coast Gard is reporting that they have heard sounds in the search area that may be coming from the craft. The Navy has also deployed some serious equipment to find this thing. If there is any chance of finding it, our forces will find it.

And finally, the amount of people online who are seemingly cheering for the people to die is just sickening.Yea, this was dumb as hell. Doesnt mean people deserve to die over it.

1 minute ago, Master-Debater131 said:

And finally, the amount of people online who are seemingly cheering for the people to die is just sickening.Yea, this was dumb as hell. Doesnt mean people deserve to die over it.

I don't know if you can say there are people cheering for them to die.  The more you read, the more absurd the whole thing is though.

6 minutes ago, scoobdog said:

I don't know if you can say there are people cheering for them to die.  The more you read, the more absurd the whole thing is though.

Sadly there are people out there saying that they want them to die.

Oh I know. Everything about this craft screams "DO NOT USE", but they still did. Its beyond stupid to get into this thing.

5 minutes ago, Master-Debater131 said:

Sadly there are people out there saying that they want them to die.

Oh I know. Everything about this craft screams "DO NOT USE", but they still did. Its beyond stupid to get into this thing.

Yeah, that is a bit too much for me.  It’s insanely stupid, sweeping this year’s Darwin Awards, but wanting people to die?  What did they do to you personally besides have horrible taste in recreational activities?

The OWNERS meanwhile, if there’s a law that can prosecute them for gross negligence, let them have it.

1 hour ago, scoobdog said:

I was reading about one of the whistleblowers that got fired.  He said something to the effect the carbon fiber hull that was manufactured for the Titan was 2" thinner than they were expecting - 5" think instead of the expected 7" thick.  I know carbon fiber can be as strong as steel, but losing roughly 28% of its mass can't be a good thing .

This is a real fucking shit show.

I only feel bad for the 19-year-old who got dragged along by his father. The rest...*shrug*

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Master-Debater131 said:

Cheering, no....but as I've stated before, the amount of Amber alerts I get are simply obscene and not a single one of those kids get even 15 seconds of media attention....

Hell, remember the fisherman that survived for like a year at sea before someone "stumbled" across him....I think he was....well, he was Latino, can't quite remember the particulars. 

These dumbasses temped fate...fafo'd. and they are consuming entire days of my life. I'm not cheering but lack any sympathy.

Edited by André Toulon
  • Like 3

Seems like there were a couple of dudes missing at sea recently too but I may be remembering something else

There was a refugee ship that was capsized in the Mediterranean.  The people on board were saved by a super yacht owned by a Mexican silver magnate.  I mean, good on him for helping out the refugees, but if that ain’t financial inequality in one image…

Edited by Jman
  • Like 1

I think the general consensus is it’s really hard to feel bad for any of them.  They weren’t desperate migrants forced on to a ramshackle boat because the alternative is worse.  They spent the equivalent of a working poor’s annual pay for a decade to get in a Super Mario power-up to see glorified trash on the bottom of the Atlantic.  Now the equivalent of a third world country’s GDP is being spent to recover them.  You can’t separate the ridiculousness of the circumstances from the human interest.  

• Like 3

Cheering, no....but as I've stated before, the amount of Amber alerts I get are simply obscene and not a single one of those kids get even 15 seconds of media attention....

Hell, remember the fisherman that survived for like a year at sea before someone "stumbled" across him....I think he was....well, he was Latino, can't quite remember the particulars. 

These dumbasses temped fate...fafo'd. and they are consuming entire days of my life. I'm not cheering but lack any sympathy.

I mean there are multiple reasons why this has captured so much attention compared to other recent news:

1. People really like fables that play out in real life.

2. The Titanic has a strong influence in America and was already a historical lesson about deadly hubris.

3. Seeing billionaires face consequences for their terrible decisions is very rare to see.

4. People are very tired of the narrative of billionaires having their money because they're better than everyone when it usually comes at the cost of human suffering.

5. There's a human fascination about things that can kill us with absolute power like the forces of waters that deep.

• Like 4