UnevenEdge

BIG MONEY IDEA! Do You Want To Die At The Bottom Of The Sea?

DragonSinger

1 hour ago, Master-Debater131 said:

I dont really think its so much that rich people are naive as it is Humanity tends to trust its technology. No one at NASA was naive about the possibility of a space shuttle blowing up but we sent went to, and continue to go, space. If an airplane fails at 30k feet you are dead. Car breaks and steering fail on the highway? Probably dead.  Hell, the Titanic itself was thought to be "unsinkable" at the time because of our trust in technology.

We just trust that our technology is going to work and be the thing that gets us to our end goal.

That mentality hasnt really changed. What has changed are safety standards and testing requirements. These guys seem to have skipped out on 100+ years of safety requirements and it cost them dearly.

The thing is they decided their take on technology was better. Our knowledge said that the hull needed to be 7 inches but they decided that being rich meant 5 inches was fine. The dome was only tested to 1500 ft but they decided that being rich meant it was safe to go all the way to 4000 ft. NASA, airplane makers, and automobile manufacturers [ except maybe Melon Husk since he seems to suffer from 'too rich to fail' too ] all test and test again to continuously improve what is known. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, katt_goddess said:

The thing is they decided their take on technology was better. Our knowledge said that the hull needed to be 7 inches but they decided that being rich meant 5 inches was fine. The dome was only tested to 1500 ft but they decided that being rich meant it was safe to go all the way to 4000 ft. NASA, airplane makers, and automobile manufacturers [ except maybe Melon Husk since he seems to suffer from 'too rich to fail' too ] all test and test again to continuously improve what is known. 

Oh I know.  This entire craft screamed "death trap" and there was no way in hell I would ever get into it. It was dumb as hell to ignore the 100+ years of safety and science that leads to modern craft.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Master-Debater131 said:

Oh I know.  This entire craft screamed "death trap" and there was no way in hell I would ever get into it. It was dumb as hell to ignore the 100+ years of safety and science that leads to modern craft.

makes a compelling argument for some SB that are passing in the U.S.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Master-Debater131 said:

All I want now is for them to rev up their claw machine and bring the OceanCrunchy to the surface to answer the question - pancake or toothpaste. Wait too long and it's going to be slurry either way. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, katt_goddess said:

All I want now is for them to rev up their claw machine and bring the OceanCrunchy to the surface to answer the question - pancake or toothpaste. Wait too long and it's going to be slurry either way. 

I read somewhere that most of recovery team is now being demobilized and the chance of recovery for the bodies is close to zero percent.

And they're most likely what became of Ariel in the original Little Mermaid: sea foam.

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, katt_goddess said:

I seen some interviews with one of the guys that designed the thing and he made it sound like regulation fucked with creativity 🙄

One of the passengers was a well known French diver. I don’t think he or any of the passengers knew the submarine was a death trap 

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Insipid said:

I read somewhere that most of recovery team is now being demobilized and the chance of recovery for the bodies is close to zero percent.

And they're most likely what became of Ariel in the original Little Mermaid: sea foam.

Circle of life 

1 hour ago, Insipid said:

I know, unfortunately. That deep they have only been able to bring up small things as it is from the Titanic itself in any sort of quick recovery. Large recovery items take years. It took 2 years to bring a piece of the hull up to inspect and that was just litter, not remains. 

It sucks though. Every time some chucklenut with too much time and money on their hands wants to cut corners on projects like this, someone could have shown them that old 80's commercial featuring the Playdoh Barbershop, ask them if they want to be treated like Playdoh and mean it. It would no longer be a theoretical threat. 

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, 1pooh4u said:

It was way more important to protect technological secrets than it was to stop multiple countries from wasting time and money on rescue efforts. Fuck the families too, I guess. 

The Navy told everyone right away what they heard.  I’m assuming nobody wanted to be the one to tell the families “Yeah they’re fucked.”

4 hours ago, 1pooh4u said:

The company won’t be charged for the recovery efforts despite the fact that they made such a sub par piece of shit that it couldn’t handle the pressure of the dive. 

In all seriousness none of the people on that sub thought it was unsafe. Not even the passenger that actually fought against regulation for this type of thing thought he’d die.   Rich people are naïve in a way. They think that their $$$ buys safety. That no one would dare endanger them for real.  Apparently they forgot how greedy people are, despite them probably being greedy themselves.  Government regulations are crucial. Without them companies absolutely will not do the right thing on their own. Very rare. 

It is crazy to me in hindsight that the CEO that welded himself and others into a death trap multiple times didn't ever think "Am I being welded into a death trap? Is this maybe a BAD idea?"

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Seight said:

It is crazy to me in hindsight that the CEO that welded himself and others into a death trap multiple times didn't ever think "Am I being welded into a death trap? Is this maybe a BAD idea?"

I still can't get over someone reading that waiver and going, "This'll be perfect to take the boy along!"

• Like 1
  • Thanks 4

2 hours ago, 1pooh4u said:

It was way more important to protect technological secrets than it was to stop multiple countries from wasting time and money on rescue efforts. Fuck the families too, I guess. 

Maybe (just maybe) the navy news was suppressed to the mainstream as this submarine thing was taking screen time away from Hunter Biden?

• Like 2

8 hours ago, 1pooh4u said:

The company won’t be charged for the recovery efforts despite the fact that they made such a sub par piece of shit that it couldn’t handle the pressure of the dive.

The good news is, knowing taxpayers will have funded these "rescue" efforts, we can safely say we've financed this entire expedition start to finish.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, discolé monade said:

you bet your ass the DoJ had their eyeballs on this. the thing that IS concerning...but not surprising, is that the agency, supposedly obligated to follow an oath to protect the citizens of these, united states. the very least, they could have dropped a dime on the local agency. 

all that money exchanging hands. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, scoobdog said:

The Navy told everyone right away what they heard.  I’m assuming nobody wanted to be the one to tell the families “Yeah they’re fucked.”

No they didn’t they told an incident commander and then the information went no further. The CC and Navy had no comments on how the information was used. It was days until it was revealed the Navy knew within minutes that the thing imploded 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, rpgamer said:

The good news is, knowing taxpayers will have funded these "rescue" efforts, we can safely say we've financed this entire expedition start to finish.

Don’t we always though?  Don’t we always foot the bill for research and development and then get charged for the things that wouldn’t even exist without our $$$ anyway?  The government is acting like it would never consider charging billionaires for rescue efforts. That’s just for us plebs to get charged for when we get ourselves lost in precarious places. 

those that can afford never pay because those that can’t always do. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, 1pooh4u said:

No they didn’t they told an incident commander and then the information went no further. The CC and Navy had no comments on how the information was used. It was days until it was revealed the Navy knew within minutes that the thing imploded 

The Navy heard a noise that could have been either an implosion or explosion shortly after the sub lost contact and relayed it immediately to the incident commander.  Presumably it was also immediately factored into the search.

Not sure why kind of wrongdoing you expect to uncover from either the Navy or the Coast Guard seeing as the information was put to timely use to the only operation that would benefit from it, a rescue and recovery.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, scoobdog said:

The Navy heard a noise that could have been either an implosion or explosion shortly after the sub lost contact and relayed it immediately to the incident commander.  Presumably it was also immediately factored into the search.

Not sure why kind of wrongdoing you expect to uncover from either the Navy or the Coast Guard seeing as the information was put to timely use to the only operation that would benefit from it, a rescue and recovery.

What part of “the navy knew the sub imploded days before they sent rescue efforts wasting man hours and putting those people at risk don’t you understand?

the navy knew there was an implosion other nations were sending expensive rescue equipment, not only ours, but maybe you like wasting $$ and risking more lives than necessary?

nvm the fact that the families weren’t told for days and were led to believe just maybe they weren’t dead?

56 minutes ago, 1pooh4u said:

What part of “the navy knew the sub imploded days before they sent rescue efforts wasting man hours and putting those people at risk don’t you understand?

the navy knew there was an implosion other nations were sending expensive rescue equipment, not only ours, but maybe you like wasting $$ and risking more lives than necessary?

nvm the fact that the families weren’t told for days and were led to believe just maybe they weren’t dead?

This is fucking stupid.  I have no idea what you think happened, but these are the facts as reported:

• The Navy heard a noise "like an implosion or an explosion" in those exact terms and reported it immediately.  They couldn't  know the Titan had disintegrated and everyone was lost with no visual confirm what had happened, like debris.
  • The noise was heard after an alert had been put out to everyone in the vicinity.  The Canadian coast guard knew the sub had lost contact the same time the US Navy did.  It seems unlikely they would not have known about the noise given they were searching in that area and were likely looking for evidence of a damaged ship.
  • I don't know who's lives you're suggesting were put at risk here, but there's no indication that the rescue operation every involved human participation beyond the stuff you usually have involved when a ship is lost at sea.  There were flyovers  and presumably divers that descended at most 100 ft, besides the personnel on the ship.  The reason it took so long to even get a visual is because that was how long it took for the French to bring an ROV capable of descending to the extreme depths where the wreckage was discovered.

That's what's being reported.  The implications beyond that, such as the monetary cost versus reward of undertaking a rescue operation is a different discussion.  We have no idea how the ensuing investigation will hold OceanGate responsible for this disaster, but assuming it's likely a slap on the wrist that's a debate all its own.  As to the families, the only thing anyone can say is that everyone acted in good faith to get their loved ones back when there was a slim chance of survival:  telling them that there was an explosion would have no bearing on that.

Edit:  This, from CNN -

131329088_Screenshot2023-06-23at11_03_50AM.thumb.png.39de1b43d9c8ef7b5a1406313e5beede.png

Edited by scoobdog
  • Like 2

Brand new amber alert...y'all keep your eyes open, because this is ALL we're going to do to save this child. 

No media attention, no government resources, no international focus....just keep a look out guys. 

Maybe if the family was just a bit more affluent, we could try to care but fuck all that, let's talk more about what this crushed beer can was made of and some dipshits at a blink 182 concert.

Screenshot_20230623-104222.png

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

33 minutes ago, scoobdog said:

The implications beyond that, such as the monetary cost versus reward of undertaking a rescue operation is a different discussion. 

131329088_Screenshot2023-06-23at11_03_50AM.thumb.png.39de1b43d9c8ef7b5a1406313e5beede.png

One they had Sunday, whether you believe it or not, and the verdict was yeah, let's spend that money and cover it day and night, even though this is the rich dick head equivalent to eating goddamned tide pods.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, André Toulon said:

One they had Sunday, whether you believe it or not, and the verdict was yeah, let's spend that money and cover it day and night, even though this is the rich dick head equivalent to eating goddamned tide pods.

Not going to disagree with you on that.  The likelihood is that OceanGate doesn't face any real repercussions, at least in part because the CEO is 2" thick at the bottom of the Atlantic and the company likely goes into bankruptcy because of the disaster.

Noetheless, it's impossible not to look at what's happening in the Mediterranean right now and ask how so much money can be spent on a what amounts to a bunch of wealthy thrill seekers and practically nothing is being spent on the migrants that were lost in the capsized boat.  My unpopular take is that the disaster in Greece at least partially frames the Titan response - for the CG incident commander, the choice is do nothing and be seen as incompetent or, worse, indifferent, or do something knowing it's likely futile and have everyone complain about the wasted money and effort.  To be clear, that's not a question for the incident commander to answer, it's a question that should be put to the US Government as a whole, and particularly in the conext of the humanitarian crisis that the Biden Administration is contributing to by not effectively dealing assylum seekers at our own border.  The fact remains this incident exposes not just a global disparity between the haves and have nots, but the disparity here in the United States.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, 1pooh4u said:

Don’t we always though?  Don’t we always foot the bill for research and development and then get charged for the things that wouldn’t even exist without our $$$ anyway?  The government is acting like it would never consider charging billionaires for rescue efforts. That’s just for us plebs to get charged for when we get ourselves lost in precarious places. 

those that can afford never pay because those that can’t always do. 

I saw somewhere today the Libertarian Creed can be summarized as "privatize the profits, socialize the losses"

• Thanks 3

1 hour ago, Seight said:

I saw somewhere today the Libertarian Creed can be summarized as "privatize the profits, socialize the losses"

That’s exactly how things are run in this country. How many bailouts have we paid for?  

don’t even get me started on how the military robs us. Pentagon hasn’t passed an audit in 5 years and they pay $52k for trash cans. 13 of them

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 6/23/2023 at 1:55 PM, scoobdog said:

This is fucking stupid.  I have no idea what you think happened, but these are the facts as reported:

• The Navy heard a noise "like an implosion or an explosion" in those exact terms and reported it immediately.  They couldn't  know the Titan had disintegrated and everyone was lost with no visual confirm what had happened, like debris.
  • The noise was heard after an alert had been put out to everyone in the vicinity.  The Canadian coast guard knew the sub had lost contact the same time the US Navy did.  It seems unlikely they would not have known about the noise given they were searching in that area and were likely looking for evidence of a damaged ship.
  • I don't know who's lives you're suggesting were put at risk here, but there's no indication that the rescue operation every involved human participation beyond the stuff you usually have involved when a ship is lost at sea.  There were flyovers  and presumably divers that descended at most 100 ft, besides the personnel on the ship.  The reason it took so long to even get a visual is because that was how long it took for the French to bring an ROV capable of descending to the extreme depths where the wreckage was discovered.

That's what's being reported.  The implications beyond that, such as the monetary cost versus reward of undertaking a rescue operation is a different discussion.  We have no idea how the ensuing investigation will hold OceanGate responsible for this disaster, but assuming it's likely a slap on the wrist that's a debate all its own.  As to the families, the only thing anyone can say is that everyone acted in good faith to get their loved ones back when there was a slim chance of survival:  telling them that there was an explosion would have no bearing on that.

Edit:  This, from CNN -

Stfu Scoob first off no one said anything about criminal charges. The Navy said nothing to anyone concerning the sound for days. Reporting it to a incident commander isn’t informing anyone outside the military so maybe resources aren’t wasted. 

the discussion we are having is exactly about wasted money and man hours. You’re the one jumping the gun talking about criminal charges no one mentioned. So like I said what fuckin part of what I said did you not understand?  

Also idk wtf you think you’re talking to but if you want to argue just to argue you better kiss some ass and beg Pat to bring Nabs back cuz I’m not the fuckin one for your well actually games 

54 minutes ago, 1pooh4u said:

Stfu Scoob first off no one said anything about criminal charges. The Navy said nothing to anyone concerning the sound for days. Reporting it to a incident commander isn’t informing anyone outside the military so maybe resources aren’t wasted. 

the discussion we are having is exactly about wasted money and man hours. You’re the one jumping the gun talking about criminal charges no one mentioned. So like I said what fuckin part of what I said did you not understand?  

Also idk wtf you think you’re talking to but if you want to argue just to argue you better kiss some ass and beg Pat to bring Nabs back cuz I’m not the fuckin one for your well actually games 

Who the fuck said anything about criminal charges?  Oh, you must mean when I said OceanGate should probably face criminal charges... sure, that's probably a bit extreme.  I'll take that back.

As for the rest of that.... Cool.  Whatever.