UnevenEdge

Weather 2023

tsar4

I know some of you are dealing with nasty strings of storms & flooding (I saw that body cam footage of the two cops that got sucked into a pipe in a flash flood and spat out 100 ft later, both are ok), but here we're dealing with the worst drought that I can remember.  The grass looks like straw and even the weeds are starting to shrivel up.  I just came in from watering down the plants nearest the house (idiots in the neighborhood have been shooting off fireworks, including roman candles).  It's so bad that wasps were immediately landing on wet leaves to drink.

What's it like by the rest of you?

• Like 1

We're in the middle of a heat wave. It's 98 right now and it's supposed to reach triple digits again before the weekend is over.

I need to mow the lawn, but I'm not getting out in this fucking heat. I'll mow early tomorrow morning.

• Like 1

It was recently abnormally dry here, but nowhere near close to drought levels. It needs to go on for months to reach that level. The humidity is slowly coming back, and the dew point is expected to go over 70 the first day of summer.

I mentioned this before, but climate refugees are going to become a thing in the coming decades and the Northeast and Great Lakes regions are probably gonna see resurgences in populations.

• Like 1

Our city is about as insufferable now as every other summer, except the heat will only last longer and longer. Still remember when we reached 75 in December one day not too long ago.

The only good thing about 2020 was how cool the outside felt throughout the summer season as everyone stayed inside. I’ll never experience anything like that ever again. Humidity makes all the difference here.

• Like 1

It's finally slightly calm around here, the wind has died down enough that we aren't wandering around in orange skies currently. But the heat is coming back hard later this week. That will probably bring the smoke again. 

It was so toxic earlier this past week that the baby birds were falling out of the trees in confusion. Dumb bumbles everywhere. First starlings, then robins. 

• Sad 1

we have had the coolest temps i've seen since moving here 14 years ago. (jfc....14 years)

anyway....this year, 2 months ago, we lost our AC, and according to the ONLY people that service, we're looking at a whole new 10k unit/parts/labor. 

i personally think, the machine is only 20 years..there has to be a part. 

but i digress. 

hurricane season is already here. we've had more t'storms and heavier rains. but the weirdest part is the cool weather. thank the heavens. 

oh...and LOTS of heat lightening at night. 

• Like 1

We went a good 4 or 5 weeks without any real rain to speak of. (In fact, Philly had the driest May ever recorded.) We never got to full-on drought, but those are the sorts of brown lawns I'm used to seeing mid-July, not mid-May. Then there were those few crazy Canadian smoke days on top of it. At least we've had a few good rain events over the past couple of weeks.

• Like 2

just learned we are getting ready to get pounded. again. 

look...i'm here for it. 

so much so, that i REALLY want a tornado to take out the electric pole in the yard. OR even better...the tree  branch to come into my sewing room. it's the edge of the house...

but the insurance payout. whaaaaaaaaaaaa.....?

• Like 1

It’s been cooler than normal. We had hail a few weeks back, which is abnormal for the area, especially since summer didn’t even start yet.  Minutes after the hail, the smoke from Canada moved in. I have a feeling we’re in for a crappy wet summer but I suppose it’s better than the alternative. 

Just now, discolé monade said:

@Master-Debater131 please be safe. 

Im totally safe.  Im about 30-45 mins north of this. The rain came through but no hail or rotation here. The storms blown through and there is a beautiful blue sky behind it. Ill go put my flowers back now :D

I did get the alert from my office though to take cover. My office is on the edge of the tornado warning. I started to get texts from coworkers asking what was going on because everyone knows Im a total weather nerd. Had to let them know they were safe because the tornado was south of the office. Apparently it flooded though, the storm drains couldnt keep up so the 1st floor has water in it now.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Master-Debater131 said:

Im totally safe.  Im about 30-45 mins north of this. The rain came through but no hail or rotation here. The storms blown through and there is a beautiful blue sky behind it. Ill go put my flowers back now :D

I did get the alert from my office though to take cover. My office is on the edge of the tornado warning. I started to get texts from coworkers asking what was going on because everyone knows Im a total weather nerd. Had to let them know they were safe because the tornado was south of the office. Apparently it flooded though, the storm drains couldnt keep up so the 1st floor has water in it now.

good. didn't know how far you were from it. 

carry on 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Master-Debater131 said:

If I was in that storm I would be in my basement with my cat waiting for it to pass :D Im not dumb lol. When the sky is green and spinning, its time to take cover.

my kid is extremely interested in tornadoes, and i was trying to explain to him ^how^ to tell when, i said it's not only hail, but green skies. 

in fact, i think i learned it here

partly /s/

13 minutes ago, Master-Debater131 said:

If I was in that storm I would be in my basement with my cat waiting for it to pass :D Im not dumb lol. When the sky is green and spinning, its time to take cover.

Or when the clouds look like this...

image.png.2c90ffbd41f850af216db13acdeae59a.png

The few times I've seen these, we were hit with a nasty storm soon afterward.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, katt_goddess said:

If the sky turns orange [ and it's not wildfire season ], batten down. Around here, that's a microburst. It's like a tornado without the warning of a funnel. It just drops on you and takes everything out in the center of it. 

It's the outhouse spider of weather. 

I'm pretty sure I witnessed one of those.  I was working at a store as mgr on call, the storm outside was blowing the carts around, so the stockman was outside trying to collect them.  I went outside to tell him to stop and get back inside.  I look to my left and the dirt from the HS baseball diamond suddenly blows outward in every direction.  I look back to the stockman, a heavy set kid, and he's been knocked off his feet.  Something catches my eye to the right and I turn to see one or two of those hard plastic kiddie wading pools go sailing off in the direction of I-88 (right next to the store).  This all happened in a couple of seconds, so I went back in, got on the PA and asked everyone to go to the back of the store.  The weather was coming from behind the store, so I couldn't tell if something worse was coming.  I also didn't know what I had seen on the ball diamond - microburst?  Tornado dropping down?  I got the stockman back inside & I watched the front of the store, in case someone else was outside and needed to get in (I had locked the doors).

I ended up getting mildly chewed out, but in my defense a store my dad had managed had a storm where the wind was pushing 1970s land yachts around in the parking lot (cat 1 tornado nearby).  Better to protect everyone and be wrong than to not do so and be wrong.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Top Gun said:

Boob clouds! (No literally, they're called "mammatus.")

I've been watching entirely too many Reed Timmer streams recently. It's been one hell of an active season.

did a whole thing on weather patterns and cloud for a pre-req class. 

had to go in search of various clouds. luckily i was able to catch a glimpse of the 'booby clouds' so cool looking. 

never though i'd see it just north of san diego, but thank you climate change?

• Like 1

it's my first full summer here in the mountains. guess it's been the rainiest June we've had in a long time, but i love it. my eyes are really light sensitive so when it's all cloudy and gloomy it's comfy and pleasant for me. 

hopefully it'll help those down the river that depend on this region for water, too

1 minute ago, tsar4 said:

Same here.  I get ocular migraines - These are a godsend!

my glasses are probably too big for those. I've been using incredibly dorky safety glasses that doubles as sunglasses instead. they work well enough with a hat, though i wouldn't mind something nicer. I'll have to keep those in mind when getting new glasses.

but yeah, same, too much light can trigger the worst migraines. 

We've been stuck in an off-and-on pop-up thunderstorm loop for at least 24 hours now. There was theoretically a decent severe threat last night, but they've all been garden-variety summer thunderstorms. Nothing all that remarkable, but they did weird me out when I was brain-deep in Tears of the Kingdom last night. "What the hell, I'm in a cave, why do I hear thunder--oh wait that's a real thing that's happening."

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Insipid said:

I've never seen haze this bad here in Pittsburgh before. It might just be my imagination, but the air smells really weird too.

No, it's not your imagination.  It's exactly what we were dealing with a few weeks ago further East (and will be again within the next couple of days).  Limit your time outside.  You're tasting the fine particles from the Canadian wild fires.  

• Like 1

On 6/27/2023 at 6:02 PM, Top Gun said:

We've been stuck in an off-and-on pop-up thunderstorm loop for at least 24 hours now. There was theoretically a decent severe threat last night, but they've all been garden-variety summer thunderstorms. Nothing all that remarkable, but they did weird me out when I was brain-deep in Tears of the Kingdom last night. "What the hell, I'm in a cave, why do I hear thunder--oh wait that's a real thing that's happening."

Same.  At least the rain is keeping the heat at bay...and it will also help with the smog floating in from Canada.