UnevenEdge

Stormy days ahead for Trump

Sieg67

38 minutes ago, SwimOdin said:

When is he fleeing to Russia? My money’s on Monday night.

It's hard to run a re-election campaign from Russia.  I'm presuming he's expecting his lawyers and political pressure to allow him to escape justice yet again.  

Which is why calling for protests is really dumb.  At the least if bullshit happens, it will be considered obstruction of justice on his end.  The prosecutors would be happy to stick "resisting arrest" there as well.  It's like getting a crime boss for unpaid parking tickets and hoping they overreact so you can stick them with assault, resisting arrest, and destruction of property.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Master-Debater131 said:

If this is true I am staying as farrrrrrr away from any sort of federal building as possible.

Doesnt matter that its a state thing.

All the bars and liquor stores should be closed Monday and Tuesday with the promise of being open on Wednesday if the hillbillies behave themselves. :| 

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, GuyBeardmane said:

Hopefully they'll take his threat seriously this time and have the National Guard ready to eliminate any traitors who show up in support of trump with extreme prejudice.  No repeats of January 6th.  Kill all the MAGA rats and make them afraid to show their faces again.

Bird shot and rock salt, butts full of bear tranqs. 

I agree that there should be no thin line to be overrun if armed asshats decide to repeat their shit. And I won't cry for them if they are kettled the same way actual peaceful protesters were and treated just as poorly. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, GuyBeardmane said:

Hopefully they'll take his threat seriously this time and have the National Guard ready to eliminate any traitors who show up in support of trump with extreme prejudice.  No repeats of January 6th.  Kill all the MAGA rats and make them afraid to show their faces again.

Getting into NYC to protest would be...difficult to put it mildly.  The bridges and tunnels are monitored, the NYPD has more equipment than a lot of Third World armies, and Trump is not popular here.  At all.

• Like 1

I’m somewhat convinced this is a cynical ploy by Trump to drum up support and campaign cash.  Like a few commentators have pointed out, it makes little sense to arrest Trump for what is most likely a misdemeanor as it’s presented when there are far more serious charges in the pipeline. He’s using the unsubstantiated reports of the DA meeting with law enforcement as an opening.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, scoobdog said:

I’m somewhat convinced this is a cynical ploy by Trump to drum up support and campaign cash.  Like a few commentators have pointed out, it makes little sense to arrest Trump for what is most likely a misdemeanor as it’s presented when there are far more serious charges in the pipeline. He’s using the unsubstantiated reports of the DA meeting with law enforcement as an opening.

Everything is a grift with him. However, he enjoys causing as much chaos as he can anyway because the stupider people act on his command, the more he thinks he's the greatest thing ever. 

I'd like to think that if half the idiots currently plotting to surround Mar-a-Lago with their bang-bangs to defend him from being hauled away Tuesday actually show up, he'll completely stroke out from them ruining the lawn. The poors will be touching all the golf grass! 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, scoobdog said:

Ive seen this exact point starting to be made in conservative spaces as well. Some commentators have gone so far as to say that he A. wants to be arrested for the publicity and pictures and B. wants to put DeSantis in an awkward spot. If he fights extradition, what does DeSantis to? Either way its a loss for him. Thats probably too smart a move for Trump though.

For A, thats Trump summed up. Nothing would please him more than to be able to parade around with pictures of his arrest, mug shot, and arraignment as massive tools to fund raise off of. It also lays the groundwork for Trump to claim any other charges are political. He can claim that this charge is political because its such a minor offense that even the Feds dropped it, and then point to it if he is ever charged with something more serious.

Really starting to feel like this whole thing is a giant misstep by the DA thats going to backfire massively and help Trump in the long run.

8 hours ago, Master-Debater131 said:

Ive seen this exact point starting to be made in conservative spaces as well. Some commentators have gone so far as to say that he A. wants to be arrested for the publicity and pictures and B. wants to put DeSantis in an awkward spot. If he fights extradition, what does DeSantis to? Either way its a loss for him. Thats probably too smart a move for Trump though.

For A, thats Trump summed up. Nothing would please him more than to be able to parade around with pictures of his arrest, mug shot, and arraignment as massive tools to fund raise off of. It also lays the groundwork for Trump to claim any other charges are political. He can claim that this charge is political because its such a minor offense that even the Feds dropped it, and then point to it if he is ever charged with something more serious.

Really starting to feel like this whole thing is a giant misstep by the DA thats going to backfire massively and help Trump in the long run.

I don’t think he actually wants to be arrested, but he most certainly wants his slobbering acolytes to think he will be.  As to whether he has a follow up: probably not.  The difficult questions only come about after he’s actually arrested and you can be assured that no prosecutor is going to arrest or ask him to turn himself in unless the grand jury comes back with felony election interference.

9 hours ago, scoobdog said:

I don’t think he actually wants to be arrested, but he most certainly wants his slobbering acolytes to think he will be.  As to whether he has a follow up: probably not.  The difficult questions only come about after he’s actually arrested and you can be assured that no prosecutor is going to arrest or ask him to turn himself in unless the grand jury comes back with felony election interference.

And it doesn't sound like thats what the potential charges are. It sounds like its all surrounding the payout to Stormy Daniels. That's a misdemeanor charge that even the Feds didn't think was worth following up on. This kind of campaign finance violation is universally paid off through fines. I cant think of any high profile, or even low profile, politician who has served jail time for campaign finance violations like this. Its always some sort of fine and they have to pay their campaign back.

If they really do charge him for this and try and arrest him then it will just feed his narrative that its a politically charged prosecution. It also greatly increases the odds that the GOP try to do this at some point in the future, probably sooner than later. Just slap him with a fine and move on. Its not worth undermining any other potential prosecution, like the one in GA, just to try and make a splash.

• Like 2

There were apparently a couple of big developments yesterday that has caused this circus to go full three ring.

The first is that it came out that the "star witness" in this entire thing is Michael Cohen. Hes spent the last 3 years in "jail" for his guilty plea back in 2018. He didn't actually spend time in jail, he was under house arrest because of Covid. While its true that he used to be Trumps lawyer, he also is a notorious liar whose credibility will not hold up in any court. The leaks that came out make it seem like a huge portion of the planned prosecution is entirely dependent on his testimony.

Where that gets interesting is that he has waived his Attorney-Client privilege with his own lawyer. So now his lawyer, Robert Costello, is free to talk to the Grand Jury, media, and anyone who wants to listen. And he has done just that. He spoke to the grand jury and went straight at Cohens credibility.

Hate this source all you want but this interview is critical for where things go next.

Robert Costello's credibility will stand up in court and that will go a long way to totally discrediting Cohen, and likely a key portion of the prosecution. If this somehow gets to trial then Costello will absolutely be a witness to discredit Cohen. He has the paperwork to back up his claims as well. So Cohens testimony will likely hurt the prosecutions case once he is thoroughly discredited by Costello.

After this happened the decision for any potential arraignment was pushed to next week.

This needs to end. All this is doing is feeding the monster and building the groundwork for Trump to claim that any future charge is politically motivated. This charge wont hold up in court. It may return a guilty jury verdict simply because the venue is NYC, but it wont hold up on appeal. Or worse, it will result in the full jury acquittal of Trump which would be a full blown disaster for this and any future charges.

The DA has an easy out now to back out of what is starting to look more and more like a politically motivated case. Just say that your witness turned out to be unreliable and you will follow the Feds decision in not charging Trump. If not you seriously risk any future charges that Trump may, and probably will, face.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Master-Debater131 said:

There were apparently a couple of big developments yesterday that has caused this circus to go full three ring.

The first is that it came out that the "star witness" in this entire thing is Michael Cohen. Hes spent the last 3 years in "jail" for his guilty plea back in 2018. He didn't actually spend time in jail, he was under house arrest because of Covid. While its true that he used to be Trumps lawyer, he also is a notorious liar whose credibility will not hold up in any court. The leaks that came out make it seem like a huge portion of the planned prosecution is entirely dependent on his testimony.

Where that gets interesting is that he has waived his Attorney-Client privilege with his own lawyer. So now his lawyer, Robert Costello, is free to talk to the Grand Jury, media, and anyone who wants to listen. And he has done just that. He spoke to the grand jury and went straight at Cohens credibility.

Hate this source all you want but this interview is critical for where things go next.

Robert Costello's credibility will stand up in court and that will go a long way to totally discrediting Cohen, and likely a key portion of the prosecution. If this somehow gets to trial then Costello will absolutely be a witness to discredit Cohen. He has the paperwork to back up his claims as well. So Cohens testimony will likely hurt the prosecutions case once he is thoroughly discredited by Costello.

After this happened the decision for any potential arraignment was pushed to next week.

This needs to end. All this is doing is feeding the monster and building the groundwork for Trump to claim that any future charge is politically motivated. This charge wont hold up in court. It may return a guilty jury verdict simply because the venue is NYC, but it wont hold up on appeal. Or worse, it will result in the full jury acquittal of Trump which would be a full blown disaster for this and any future charges.

The DA has an easy out now to back out of what is starting to look more and more like a politically motivated case. Just say that your witness turned out to be unreliable and you will follow the Feds decision in not charging Trump. If not you seriously risk any future charges that Trump may, and probably will, face.

I told someone at work today "This is the scene where Waylon Jennings wonders how the Duke boys are gonna get out of this one, and by the end of the week is where the freeze frame ends and they make the jump."

• Haha 2

The Grand Jury has been called off for the 2nd day in a row. This comes as there are growing whispers coming out of the DAs office that career prosecutors do not want to go forward with this case. They apparently are concerned not only with the chances of a prosecution, but how they would have to rely on almost completely untested legal ground.

https://www.nytimes.com/2023/03/21/nyregion/trump-indictment-legal-theory.html

Paywalled but heres a snipit.

"But for falsifying business records to be a felony, not a misdemeanor, Mr. Bragg’s prosecutors must show that Mr. Trump’s “intent to defraud” included an intent to commit or conceal a second crime. That crime could be a violation of election law, under the theory that the payout served as a donation to Mr. Trump’s campaign, because it silenced Ms. Daniels and shut down a potential sex scandal in the final stretch of the campaign…"

I'll say it again, the DA has a perfect excuse to let this die. He needs to take it. This isnt the case to get Trump on, and if they go forward with it it will only help Trump in the future if another, more solidly built, case comes forward.

I also think it would be hilarious if the bureaucracy that Trump hated and attacked so much while in the WH is what saves him here. The DA wont be around forever, but those career prosecutors are making a lifelong career out of this. They don't want their records stained with this case if it goes completely tits up.

The fact that they keep delaying the decision coupled with all that stuff with the judge probably means everyone’s looking to see what case they can get Trump with and how quickly they can be presented.  It’s a tightrope.

8 minutes ago, Master-Debater131 said:

The more they do that though the more it does look political. They have a man and are searching for a crime. That's not how its supposed to go. Your supposed to have the crime then search for the man.

If they cant make this stick they need to drop it and let the other cases play out.

It’s easy to explain.  “Our witness was not credible, and we were also dealing with an unprecedented amount of scrutiny in this case, so we didn’t want to move forward unless we knew what was going on.” 

• Thanks 2

4 hours ago, Jman said:

It’s easy to explain.  “Our witness was not credible, and we were also dealing with an unprecedented amount of scrutiny in this case, so we didn’t want to move forward unless we knew what was going on.” 

That's also what he should say to just dismiss the case and move on with life. It just sounds more and more like its a total CF in that office right now.

I get the want to try and take down Trump, but this isn't the case to do it. This is, at worst, a misdemeanor that results in a fine. Not the huge felony case that the DA is trying to turn this into.  Georgia is much much more dangerous for Trump and far more likely to result in a guilty verdict/outcome.

11 minutes ago, Master-Debater131 said:

That's also what he should say to just dismiss the case and move on with life. It just sounds more and more like its a total CF in that office right now.

I get the want to try and take down Trump, but this isn't the case to do it. This is, at worst, a misdemeanor that results in a fine. Not the huge felony case that the DA is trying to turn this into.  Georgia is much much more dangerous for Trump and far more likely to result in a guilty verdict/outcome.

That’s admittedly why I think they’re delaying their actions.  I do expect, if the evidence in Georgia leads to an arraignment, for New York to either stand down or downgrade the charge.

No. The case should not be dismissed at this time.

Under the circumstances, with the ratchetting up of violent rhetoric by the 'accused' as well as the attempts at what can literally only be called attempts to obstruct justice, any dropping of anything would be seen as vindication of said behaviors. You do that and they'll just keep doing that. 

It might have been a misdemeanor, but not anymore. The most Princess Tinyhands and his merry band of morons can hope for is that this gets delayed a bit. But there are other, bigger things waiting to bite his ass and quite frankly, the current behavior does not bode well for any gentle handling in those future cases. 

• Like 2

The recent outrage was all made up by Trump. There were never any plans to arrest him there was no leak that “he is getting arrested on Tuesday” he made it all up to rile up the base he’s got left and to grift more money. He was receiving like half a million in donations a day from regular people since he made his bullshit claims. Way more than he was getting since throwing his hat in the ring for the presidency. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

I succeeded in not thinking about Trump for a year and a half when he left office. This was after spending four years protesting him. 

The raid on Mar-a-Lago brought him back into my thoughts because I want to enjoy the resolution of his story arc. Based on his reactions the last week, I see we are at the part in the story where the Wicked Witch is melting. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, 1pooh4u said:

The recent outrage was all made up by Trump. There were never any plans to arrest him there was no leak that “he is getting arrested on Tuesday” he made it all up to rile up the base he’s got left and to grift more money. He was receiving like half a million in donations a day from regular people since he made his bullshit claims. Way more than he was getting since throwing his hat in the ring for the presidency. 

Narcissist's gonna Narc

I remember reading that trump was headed into psychoses territory, which follows the spectrum perfectly. this was back with his chris wallace interview where he did a test and it was like "where is you, what's this" and he was so proud of himself that he didn't fail to notice that it was indeed an elephant (actually I think chris wallace said what it was), so much so that "trump is a genius" was a thing on twitter.

remember, he even said that the test was kind of hard when it was "memorize 5 words" and "who is this". that test is, I think, a test to test cognitive decline with dementia patients. I can recall his beady little eyes when he said "the test was kind of hard". how in the world did that man become president when he didn't even know what a mnemonic device was.

I hope the stuff is nuclear secrets or something and he get's treason. I hope the earth grows some arms and grabs him and hurls him into the sun. I hope the ghost of Mccain comes and haunts him everyday

• Like 3

19 hours ago, Raptorpat said:

I feel like he's overblowing it to suck all the oxygen out of the GOP primary, which is kind of working.

It's what he does - all cameras on him, all news about him. Good news is great news and bad news is another excuse to behave poorly so the news is still all about him. He creates the chaos so he can feel like he's still in control. 

And then that 'Donate here' button starts flashing and the Pavlov's MAGAts start waving their credit cards. 

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, Seight said:

"Oh great, we get to talk about Ted Nugent again!" said nobody ever.

(I'm not posting the link because holy shit my guy)

You made the right call. I wouldn't listen to a sentence from Nugent. 

In fact, Trump's recent social media posts where he's scared of indictment are the first time I listened to him in years. For the reasons of schadenfreude. 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Icarus27k said:

Holy mackerel, that's a lot of crime. Screenshot_20230330-200209.thumb.png.a31abaef9746ea7ae8e24f394b45736f.png

Never thought I'd see the day. Now I feel the need more than ever to look over my shoulder and check if the sky is falling. Please give us a glorious mug shot..

34 counts of what though? Most experts seem to agree he's probably just going to get fined if anything, and immediately post bail.

Edited by PhilosipherStoned