UnevenEdge

Elon Musk now owns Twitter, apparently trying to run it into the ground

Jman

47 minutes ago, naraku360 said:

Since they dipped on FB years ago, I've always hated the only place I could share besides YT was twizzler....and something else but I don't even remember what it is

• 2 weeks later...

Lol just this morning I read that a Tesla factory in Buffalo was infested with bed bugs. Musk has to pay to exterminate the factory and maybe everyone’s home. He sickened his workers by fumigating the place and not giving a heads up. Between this and apple and other companies leaving Twitter AGAIN due to Musk’s blatant antisemitism and propagation of it, he’s gonna be bankrupt soon enough.  He’s as genius as Trump with all the business things 💩

• Thanks 2

The editor of a regional paper wrote an opinion piece on why he's officially stopped using Twitter. Buried behind all the personal reasons for quitting was this line, which I think reflects a critical pivot in the death spiral:

The Times Union's excellent digital team stopped posting links to our journalism months ago, and the impact on our traffic has been negligible. 

https://www.timesunion.com/opinion/article/seiler-twitter-or-x-baddie-18499159.php

As institutional users realize there's no traffic/financial benefit to sharing content, they will stop investing in sharing content.

Now factor that in with the current twitter shitshow - Elon is actively threatening to sue Media Matters for their below report causing advertisers to drop the platform:

https://twitter.com/mmfa/status/1725566933213294860

https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1725771191644758037

If there is no reputable benefit to posting content or posting ads, reputable content and ads will stop being posted and the site will burn out from both ends.

• Like 3

I keep getting memories of the 00s when I was suspicious of all social media. I read all the negative news articles about Facebook, and didn't open an account until years after everyone else had. Now, Facebook looks tame by comparison, and Musk is similar to what I feared at the time about it. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Icarus27k said:

Non-credible threats are cringeworthy. "The split second court"? I wouldn't take that seriously because the phrase is absurd. 

"The split second court opens," as in "the moment court opens."

You've never used the phrase "split second" to mean "this very instant"?

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, rpgamer said:

"The split second court opens," as in "the moment court opens."

You've never used the phrase "split second" to mean "this very instant"?

That makes more sense. It was because Musk put the modifier before the subject in the sentence. 

"X Corp will be filing a thermonuclear lawsuit the split second court opens on Monday," would have been more understandable.

Aside from that, I don't know if this makes the statement less dumb. Adding unnecessary adjectives for emotional emphasis. Not only is he angry, but he's "super duper angry". That's dumb for an entirely different reason. 

• Like 1

Nothing more patriotic than a South African dude in front of an American flag holding a Japanese sword. 

‘Murica fuck year! sending Elon in to save the mother fuckin day, yeah!

*the above post is parody and in no way represents the views of any sane person anywhere on Earth 

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

13 minutes ago, Icarus27k said:

I honestly don't know what's going on with that guy. It's part nerd and part lame dad, but nerds and lame dads are fundamentally likable. And this guy is not. He replaces likability with nefariousness. 

Not to give him undue cover, but a lot of his likability issue is related to his inability to read social cues.

4 minutes ago, scoobdog said:

Not to give him undue cover, but a lot of his likability issue is related to his inability to read social cues.

I dunno, there are plenty of likeable awkward people. I think he just has a fragile ego and I really don't care to delve into the whys.

• Like 3

38 minutes ago, Insipid said:

I dunno, there are plenty of likeable awkward people. I think he just has a fragile ego and I really don't care to delve into the whys.

Well, he isn’t just awkward but that’s mostly beside the point.  There are plenty of awful people who aren’t quite as unlikeable as Musk because they know how to read the audience.  Awkwardness doesn’t contribute to one’s dislikability, but it also doesn’t disguise it.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, scoobdog said:

Well, he isn’t just awkward but that’s mostly beside the point.  There are plenty of awful people who aren’t quite as unlikeable as Musk because they know how to read the audience.  Awkwardness doesn’t contribute to one’s dislikability, but it also doesn’t disguise it.

See we are missing the real problem with Elon.

The How is from him not being able to read social cues, but what is truly unlikable about him is the What (he wants all the money and attention and accolades) and the Why (he wants everyone to love and respect and listen to him)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, matrixman124 said:

See we are missing the real problem with Elon.

The How is from him not being able to read social cues, but what is truly unlikable about him is the What (he wants all the money and attention and accolades) and the Why (he wants everyone to love and respect and listen to him)

That makes him no different than just about any other celebrity.  To be perfectly clear, none of us is truly likable when all of our flaws are fully exposed and that is actually a good thing.  We don't exist so that people will like us, we exist where people will like us even when we aren't likable. 

You don't want to confuse Musk's inability to be liked, whatever the underlying insecurity fueling that desire, with his more problematic personality flaws - namely his abusive tendencies to those close to him or in his employ.  We're discussing him not because he's unlikable  but because his actions harm people and need to be spotlighted.  As puerile as his antics are, its that abusiveness that prevents him from being relatable person.

• Like 3

11 hours ago, scoobdog said:

Being unable to read social cues has nothing to do with being a bigoted asshat. He’s racist transphobic and antisemitic he hit the “how to be a scumbag” trifecta 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

12 hours ago, matrixman124 said:

I think that's also a critique of the military industrial complex outsourcing to petulant weirdos 

Privatization at its finest.  
In a way we’re getting exactly what we deserve for allowing industries to go private which really need strong government regulation and secrecy in a lot of cases.  Elon is going to be the death of us all probably.  I’m not even kidding I’m definitely putting “global destruction caused by petulant man-child” on my bingo card. He’s gonna talk too much or shut his systems down on the wrong fuckin country and get us all death rayed. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3