UnevenEdge

1 minute ago, Raptorpat said:

I have an orthodontic retainer in right now, taking them out for cough drops is too much of a pain in the ass

If you manage to yeet your retainer into a wall during a coughing fit, please post pics. :D 

Maybe those weird breath strips that melt then? All I know is that I lived on mints for a few days because I didn't have drops and now I have a bag in my desk and a bag at home for emergency coughing fits along with a bottle of water. 

• Like 1

Not Covid-related per se, but goddamn my flu shot fucked me UP this year. I'm used to my arm hurting like a bitch for a few days, but this time it straight-up gave me the full suite of symptoms and I feel like ass. And of course it waited to kick in until I was already at work. A smarter me would have just gone home.

• Like 2

On 10/20/2022 at 5:29 PM, Raptorpat said:

I've still got a bit of a persistent cough, been a couple days since I tested myself. But more importantly, toddler quarantine ends after tomorrow and I am excited.

She picked something else up about a week ago, maybe from my mom's idk because she doesn't go to any formal childcare or babysitting. Snotty, congested mess with a reduced appetite. Could be a cold, maybe RSV idk, but she's past the worst of it.

But she passed it to me, I started feeling the post nasal drip/congestion/sinus congealing Thursday night and it repurposed my post-covid cough so it's basically round two at this point. Less fatigue/achy, more just gross.

7 minutes ago, Raptorpat said:

She picked something else up about a week ago, maybe from my mom's idk because she doesn't go to any formal childcare or babysitting. Snotty, congested mess with a reduced appetite. Could be a cold, maybe RSV idk, but she's past the worst of it.

But she passed it to me, I started feeling the post nasal drip/congestion/sinus congealing Thursday night and it repurposed my post-covid cough so it's basically round two at this point. Less fatigue/achy, more just gross.

Damn, that sounds like almost exactly what I'm dealing with. I got a few days of peace after the flu shot effects, and then out of nowhere I got slammed with the driest most awful cough I've ever had, which has mostly transitioned into being a phlegmy mess. Tested negative for Covid on multiple days so it's not that. Could this shit just, like, chill for a minute?

On 10/30/2022 at 11:00 AM, Raptorpat said:

I was told that RSV is a thing that's going around, hitting all the babies and toddlers who've spent their entire lives in varying degrees of isolation/quarantine. But all I know is this is stupid and I'm not down to clown.

RSV is currently ripping through my area. A ton of my coworkers are home with kids who have RSV right now. Theres also a cold thats hitting adults as well. It isnt covid, but its making people fairly miserable for a couple of days.

On 11/1/2022 at 11:07 AM, Master-Debater131 said:

RSV is currently ripping through my area. A ton of my coworkers are home with kids who have RSV right now. Theres also a cold thats hitting adults as well. It isnt covid, but its making people fairly miserable for a couple of days.

My bf’s mom was dx with that, pneumonia and that vicious rhino virus that was going around the public schools. Put her in the hospital for a week  She went on a cruise with 2 other older people and they all got sick. My aunt and uncle also went on a cruise and my uncle got covid don’t know about my aunt the doctor would not test her because she wasn’t complaining only issue I have with that is she’s suffering from Parkinson’s and between the illness and the medication she really might not be able to verbalize her discomfort. My dad had to assist her with flushing the toilet because she was looking at the handle but it didn’t register what that was, for as she was looking for “the chain”, toilets haven’t had chains for over 60 years AT LEAST.  In short her doctor didn’t test her because politics and nothing to do with best practices 

• Sad 4

1 hour ago, Top Gun said:

You could not pay me enough to go on a cruise. Just one giant Petri dish.

I went but I was done even before the pandemic because 1 they are huge Petri dishes they make jingles tellin pretty how to wash their hands. in the dining areas there are sinks and hand sanitizer stations cuz we’re about to eat, I shit you not, people would skip the hand washing or sanitizing 2 I suffer motion sickness and then land sickness just not worth it to me it’s too taxing 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/3/2022 at 9:25 PM, Top Gun said:

You could not pay me enough to go on a cruise. Just one giant Petri dish.

Those Norovirus outbreaks made me want nothing to do with cruises. Ain't no way I want to be trapped at sea where everyone is endlessly puking and shitting their guts out with overflowing toilets as an added bonus. That is Hell to me.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
3 minutes ago, Master-Debater131 said:

Talk about timing. Ive had an annoying cold for a few days and thought "I should test" so I did, and it instantly went positive.

It feels like its just an annoying cold so far. Not even a fever. Just an annoying head cold that feels like really bad allergies.

It's a viral infection and it'll be fine in a month. Dr. Festerpus Just told me this mere minutes ago.

• Thanks 1

Just now, André Toulon said:

It's a viral infection and it'll be fine in a month. Dr. Festerpus Just told me this mere minutes ago.

That's correct, covid is indeed a virus. Since it's just a mild viral infection, she doesn't need a doctor or antibiotics, they won't help in this situation.

Glad you're learning, nurse Boudreaux. 

Its a virus, but there are treatments now for people. Paxlovid is a medicine that can be prescribed for people in the high risk category.

Im basically doing the middle class white way to cure SARS. 

At this point most people will just have a nasty cold for a few days. A bunch of my coworkers have had Covid this fall, and its been very minor for all of them.

Its still a dangerous and deadly virus for a small, but significant, number of people. But for the majority of us its just another cold. The bigger risk comes from long-covid.

• Thanks 1

• 2 months later...

Bumping the thread because of some important news that broke over the weekend.

US DoE is now saying that the virus did come from the Wuhan lab in China.

While this doesnt fundamentally change anything, it does reinforce why its important to follow the science. We were told very early on that this was a conspiracy theory and to drop it. Now, its clear that this is a true possibility that deserves to be examined.

This also follow a report that natural imminuty is just as effective as the vaccines.  This has been an important question lingering out there for some time. If natural immunity is as effective as a vaccine then far more people in this country have immunity than was previously reported.

https://nypost.com/2023/02/27/natural-immunity-as-effective-as-covid-vaccine-years-after-mandates/

For some, like me, the vaccine is no longer a viable option. Our reactions to it are too significant to justify it (my doctors have told me no way do I ever get another shot unless I can be monitored 24/7 for at least a week in a medical facility). So for people like me this is a huge deal because it proves that my having covid multiple times now is building natural immunity that should, in theory, prevent major complications when I get it next time.

Covid is still around, its just not in the headlines anymore because of UFOs and Chinese Balloons.

“When do we deploy the new variant?”

Those are the exact words of the UK Health Minister that has been discovered in a private WhatsApp that has been leaked to the British press.

Scandals surrounding Covid arent limited to the US, the UK is having its own moment as well. Government officials used WhatsApp to circumvent document laws in the UK and to have conversations that they never wanted to be public.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2023/03/04/project-fear-covid-variant-lockdown-matt-hancock-whatsapp/

Really starting to seem like the people who were called conspiracy theorists for years were actually right all along.

New emails show Dr. Anthony Fauci commissioned scientific paper in Feb. 2020 to disprove Wuhan lab leak theory

https://nypost.com/2023/03/05/new-emails-show-fauci-commissioned-paper-to-disprove-wuhan-lab-leak-theory/?lctg=607d8f6170302947037f76d3

"

New emails uncovered by House Republicans probing the COVID-19 pandemic reveal the deceptive nature of Dr. Anthony Fauci.  

They show he “prompted” or commissioned — and had final approval on — a scientific paper written specifically in February 2020 to disprove the theory that the virus leaked from a lab in Wuhan, China. 

Eight weeks later, Fauci stood at a White House press conference alongside President Donald Trump and cited that paper as evidence that the lab leak theory was implausible while pretending it had nothing to do with him and he did not know the authors.

“There was a study recently,” he told reporters on April 17, 2020, when asked if the virus could have come from a Chinese lab, “where a group of highly qualified evolutionary virologists looked at the sequences … in bats as they evolve and the mutations that it took to get to the point where it is now is totally consistent with a jump of a species from an animal to a human. 

“So, the paper will be available. I don’t have the authors right now, but we can make it available to you.”"

From the beginning we were told to trust "the science" but its starting to look like  "the science" had a thumb on its scales and wasnt actually science, it was science tinted propaganda. I never really bought into what so many were saying about Fauci at the start, but its getting harder to discredit them.

The real problem with all of this, and the one we will be paying for decades, is that all of the actions taken by the experts over the past few years has shot their credibility. Trust in our public institutions, particularly federal health officials, has cratered.

The near term effects has been a constant fight to put policy in place that is backed by science and is something that the public will follow.

The long term effect has been a decrease in the use of highly proven vaccines like the MMR vaccine. People dont trust our health officials and that distrust has spread to well established and highly effective vaccines. If people researched the vaccines and trusted the experts then we would still see participation in these vaccines, but they dont. This is going to have horrible long term effects on public health. These diseases were practically eliminated in the US, and now they are making a return.

Even more worrying is that if there was another pandemic that had a real chance at wiping out a huge chunk of people, people wont trust the experts. Thats fantastic news considering the Bird Flu is showing dangerous signs of starting to transmit between mammals. That virus has a kill rate of damn near 50%. If that one takes over, its game over. There is a vaccine for it, but thanks to health officials torpedoing their credibility I would expect uptake to be a lot lower than it should if things really kick off.

6 hours ago, Master-Debater131 said:

New emails show Dr. Anthony Fauci commissioned scientific paper in Feb. 2020 to disprove Wuhan lab leak theory

https://nypost.com/2023/03/05/new-emails-show-fauci-commissioned-paper-to-disprove-wuhan-lab-leak-theory/?lctg=607d8f6170302947037f76d3

"

New emails uncovered by House Republicans probing the COVID-19 pandemic reveal the deceptive nature of Dr. Anthony Fauci.  

They show he “prompted” or commissioned — and had final approval on — a scientific paper written specifically in February 2020 to disprove the theory that the virus leaked from a lab in Wuhan, China. 

Eight weeks later, Fauci stood at a White House press conference alongside President Donald Trump and cited that paper as evidence that the lab leak theory was implausible while pretending it had nothing to do with him and he did not know the authors.

“There was a study recently,” he told reporters on April 17, 2020, when asked if the virus could have come from a Chinese lab, “where a group of highly qualified evolutionary virologists looked at the sequences … in bats as they evolve and the mutations that it took to get to the point where it is now is totally consistent with a jump of a species from an animal to a human. 

“So, the paper will be available. I don’t have the authors right now, but we can make it available to you.”"

From the beginning we were told to trust "the science" but its starting to look like  "the science" had a thumb on its scales and wasnt actually science, it was science tinted propaganda. I never really bought into what so many were saying about Fauci at the start, but its getting harder to discredit them.

Not for nothing but,  it wouldn’t be the first time someone that appears to maybe have an agenda,  paid scientists to prove or disprove something. 

Big Alcohol paid scientists to do studies on the health benefits of wine. Big Bacon paid scientists to do studies to prove that sugar is the big heart destroyer and not fat.   The list goes on….

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, 1pooh4u said:

Not for nothing but,  it wouldn’t be the first time someone that appears to maybe have an agenda,  paid scientists to prove or disprove something. 

Big Alcohol paid scientists to do studies on the health benefits of wine. Big Bacon paid scientists to do studies to prove that sugar is the big heart destroyer and not fat.   The list goes on….

Totally agree. Its been pretty common for ages that anyone with any financial stake pays to create "studies" that they can rely on.

It does bring into question the credibility of the people pushing the studies though. If you knew you had a financial stake in the study, failed to disclose that stake, and then relied on that study to further your own viewpoint then thats a pretty bad shot of their credibility.

There used to be a joke that people in DC needed to wear patches of their owners like NASCAR drivers do. Im not thinking its much of a joke these days.

45 minutes ago, 1pooh4u said:

First of all, NYPost is a rag and, par for the course, that article was devoid of any concrete assertions beyond a vague timeline.

Second:  you can’t compare an obvious biased research trial paid for by a trade group with a research paper responding directly to an unsubstantiated theory.  For one thing, an experienced and accomplished epidemiologist like Dr Fauci has little to no vested interest in falsely disproving a potential viral source while a trade group is, in fact, paid handsomely to disprove negative or damaging trial results.  For another, the idea that the virus most likely came from a market goes all the way back to its initial reporting in 2019.  The aforementioned study was initiated at least three or four months after the virus was identified and long after epidemiologists had a chance to research the plausibility of alternative sources.  Instead, research was instigated immediately after the “lab leak” conspiracy began making the rounds in conservative circles.  A more logical and reasonable conclusion is that such a study would be necessary not to disprove the likelihood of the lab created virus being accidentally leaked but to uncover the likely sources of that particularly heinous conspiracy.

….

That is to say-  like you said, studies can exist specifically to disprove or approve something, but that doesn’t mean they are expressly biased.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, scoobdog said:

First of all, NYPost is a rag and, par for the course, that article was devoid of any concrete assertions beyond a vague timeline.

Second:  you can’t compare an obvious biased research trial paid for by a trade group with a research paper responding directly to an unsubstantiated theory.  For one thing, an experienced and accomplished epidemiologist like Dr Fauci has little to no vested interest in falsely disproving a potential viral source while a trade group is, in fact, paid handsomely to disprove negative or damaging trial results.  For another, the idea that the virus most likely came from a market goes all the way back to its initial reporting in 2019.  The aforementioned study was initiated at least three or four months after the virus was identified and long after epidemiologists had a chance to research the plausibility of alternative sources.  Instead, research was instigated immediately after the “lab leak” conspiracy began making the rounds in conservative circles.  A more logical and reasonable conclusion is that such a study would be necessary not to disprove the likelihood of the lab created virus being accidentally leaked but to uncover the likely sources of that particularly heinous conspiracy.

….

That is to say-  like you said, studies can exist specifically to disprove or approve something, but that doesn’t mean they are expressly biased.

The ny post is such shit. There’s a story in it right now claiming Dems are upset over McCarthy giving unedited jan6 footage to Tucker Carlson because the videos show that this wasn’t an attempted coupe but just a small protest with only small pockets of violence 🙄

• Thanks 2

11 minutes ago, Master-Debater131 said:

You arent wrong.

I gotta see that movie lol that’s exactly what our food pyramid was like, paid off by whatever fuckin crop, or product is too abundant and needs to move.  Did you know our government invented the stuffed crust pizza?  There was too much dairy they asked Pizza Hut to use more cheese, to stuff the crust if need be 😆

don’t even get me started on how our government will never give us healthcare cuz they damn well know they are actively killing us with some of the shit they allow into our food. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, 1pooh4u said:

I gotta see that movie lol that’s exactly what our food pyramid was like, paid off by whatever fuckin crop, or product is too abundant and needs to move.  Did you know our government invented the stuffed crust pizza?  There was too much dairy they asked Pizza Hut to use more cheese, to stuff the crust if need be 😆

don’t even get me started on how our government will never give us healthcare cuz they damn well know they are actively killing us with some of the shit they allow into our food. 

wait wait wait, youve never seen Idiocracy?

Seriously?!?!

You absolutely have to watch it. Its about the single best description of whats going on that exists. And it was made a looonnngggg time ago.

• Like 1

On 3/6/2023 at 10:14 AM, Master-Debater131 said:

“When do we deploy the new variant?”

Those are the exact words of the UK Health Minister that has been discovered in a private WhatsApp that has been leaked to the British press.

Scandals surrounding Covid arent limited to the US, the UK is having its own moment as well. Government officials used WhatsApp to circumvent document laws in the UK and to have conversations that they never wanted to be public.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2023/03/04/project-fear-covid-variant-lockdown-matt-hancock-whatsapp/

Really starting to seem like the people who were called conspiracy theorists for years were actually right all along.

Nah they’re still fucking nuts 

• Thanks 2

• 5 months later...

Cases are rising again of some variant of omicron with dozens of mutations at the spike protein. They say this booster going around is for some other variant but to take it anyway for some unknown levels of protection.  All I know is I got a cousin in SC and her kid is in first grade. 9 of her classmates had covid and the symptoms they presented was stomach distress. Nausea diarrhea vomiting. Does not sound fun.  

https://www.cbsnews.com/amp/news/new-covid-variant-ba286-2023-what-to-know-experts/

https://www.cdc.gov/respiratory-viruses/whats-new/covid-19-variant-update-2023-08-30.html

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Icarus27k said:

I wasn't on these boards back in 2020. 

I managed to avoid Covid up until this past spring. I let a relative spend a few days at my house, who then got sick while here and gave it to me. 

That’s fucked up. Were they feeling sick when they made their way to you, or was it they didn’t know they were sick?

• Like 1