UnevenEdge

Some places you can get information on the virus are:

https://www.hopkinsmedicine.org/health/conditions-and-diseases/coronavirus

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/

https://faq.coronavirus.gov/

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/index.html

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/05/23/world/coronavirus-news-update.html 

Coronavirus, or Covid, is a virus that caused the pandemic starting a few years ago. It is still considered a pandemic, but has really started to move into an endemic phase where it is simply here forever and not going away.

Getting vaccinated is the best way to avoid serious outcomes from the virus, including hospitalizations and death.

This is the 3.0 thread after 2.0 was archived in the great clusterfuckering over the past few weeks. Use this for any Covid related posts.

Edit: Guess I cant link to the previous thread for some reason. I can access it, but not link to it.

Edited by Master-Debater131

So BA5 has taken over as the dominant strain here. My office has been decimated from people catching covid. We had a ton of people take a vacation at the start of the month and bring Covid back with them.

This wave is really tearing through right now. Which, makes a lot of sense. We saw BA5 coming and its doing exactly what it has done everywhere else its been. The numbers dont totally show the true case values either because people are doing so much at home testing. Those numbers dont get reported, so it skewed the number of official cases.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Ric said:

I wondered about the previous thread, figured pat just decided covid isn't a current event anymore. It should looks like most around here don't consider it to be one anymore.

It was way too huge.  I'm sure this thread will get much of the same drama, but at least it's more manageable.

Why can’t there just be a mutation or something that makes me able to see in the dark, instead of causing blindness… or or or… like, make me orgasm when I poop…

it’s always, difficult breathing this, erectile dysfunction that… or death (that one’s not terrible)

Edited by Sawdy
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Top Gun said:

I think it's pretty normal to still occasionally test positive even after you're over the disease proper. Like my doctor told me the last time to not bother getting tested again because of that. Unless things have changed since then.

Things haven't changed. Since it's moving inwards and downwards in its evolution, if its on the extreme low end of the viral load at a given moment that test is going to be negative no matter if things are still technically active because the easiest tests are still those brain pokers. Testing snots is nothing if the gold is in the lung butter lumps, so to speak. >.<  

1 hour ago, 1pooh4u said:

Lol Biden tested positive for Covid19 again but says he’s fine.  Either his negative test was incorrect or he’s one of the lucky few to experience a rebound case. Wtfek anymore 

Supposedly, rebounds are common with Paxlovid treatment.

The covid protocols for Dragon Con went up yesterday and behold the bitching. :| There's still a cap on attendance just to keep the traffic flowing. There's no purchase at the site to speed things through but you can purchase online while standing in line so I'm guessing no one is going to have a real issue with that [ I've seen people watch whole shows in line, purchasing a tix is nothing to them :D ] . You won't have to provide a vaccine card or negative test at the site this year but indoor masks are still mandated. Atlanta is currently tied with Texas for 4th worst numbers for covid and monkeypox right now so mask - which were mandatory last year - are still mandatory. 

So many people bitching about masks and demanding their money back...on something that was mandatory last year so they should have more than prepared themselves for the likelihood that yes, masks would still be a thing. :| The amount of anti-vaxxers popping out of the woodwork is ridiculous. And all I can think of is good, you won't be going because fabric over your face somehow scares the shit out of someone who would otherwise be cosplaying as someone in a massively padded costume in the Atlanta humidity, more space for me and my ginormous bag of swag. 

• Like 3

New CDC guidelines making quarantine no longer necessary after exposure regardless of vaccination status instead exposed people are to wear masks indoors for 10 days 

https://www.cdc.gov/media/releases/2022/p0811-covid-guidance.html

This is the CDC saying we have moved past the pandemic phase and into the endemic phase of Covid.  Its here forever, and we need to get on with our lives. I think its also where a lot of people have been for a long time already.  Its been about personal risk for quite a while, and this is the CDC admitting that thats where we are at.

• Like 1

I want to quote the people who last summer were proclaiming that they were inclined to wear a mask in public all the time *forever* but it's a new thread now so I can't. 

So...anyone still on that train @Top Gun @scoobdog @katt_goddess @1pooh4u @whoever else was like "uh yeah, of course I plan to mask up indefinitely, what's the big deal with wearing a mask in public all the time for the rest of my life?"

just wondering. 

Edited by NewBluntsworth
  • Like 1
  • D'oh 2

2 hours ago, 1pooh4u said:

New CDC guidelines making quarantine no longer necessary after exposure regardless of vaccination status instead exposed people are to wear masks indoors for 10 days 

https://www.cdc.gov/media/releases/2022/p0811-covid-guidance.html

let's hope those infected DO mask up, when indoors. doubtful. but hopefully. 

i read something that was a little eery. 

another article are calling 'us folks' super dodgers

Spoiler

labels, amirite?

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, NewBluntsworth said:

I want to quote the people who last summer were proclaiming that they were inclined to wear a mask in public all the time *forever* but it's a new thread now so I can't. 

So...anyone still on that train @Top Gun @scoobdog @katt_goddess @1pooh4u @whoever else was like "uh yeah, of course I plan to mask up indefinitely, what's the big deal with wearing a mask in public all the time for the rest of my life?"

just wondering. 

I’m gonna wear a mask indoors for as long as I fuckin feel like it because people are fuckin nasty and don’t know how to cover their fuckin mouths when they cough and sneeze and as someone whose mother died from this nbd virus I suggest you don’t ask me a mother fuckin thing about how I plan on approaching life with covid.  Especially since you’re asking to be snarky and not because you really want to fuckin know 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 5

2 minutes ago, discolé monade said:

let's hope those infected DO mask up, when indoors. doubtful. but hopefully. 

i read something that was a little eery. 

another article are calling 'us folks' super dodgers

Reveal hidden contents

labels, amirite?

Me and my bf never got it and he’s around a lot more different people than I am and I’ve been exposed a couple of times like hugs and kisses exposure 

I’m wearing my mask indoors and you seen how I roll.  It’s not like I’m this super paranoid person that never took off the mask 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

3 minutes ago, 1pooh4u said:

Me and my bf never got it and he’s around a lot more different people than I am and I’ve been exposed a couple of times like hugs and kisses exposure 

I’m wearing my mask indoors and you seen how I roll.  It’s not like I’m this super paranoid person that never took off the mask 

i still wear my mask as well. and i have 2 spare in my purse, in case, and a couple paper in the car for the kiddos. jic. 

sanitize ALWAYS. because people are fucking gross. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 4

Just now, discolé monade said:

i still wear my mask as well. and i have 2 spare in my purse, in case, and a couple paper in the car for the kiddos. jic. 

sanitize ALWAYS. because people are fucking gross. 

I carry sanitizer and always sanitize my hands before going into a store or fuckin with an ATM and then after I’m done. I wear masks indoors and on public transportation.  Outside I don’t wear one unless it’s a place with a lot of people like waiting on a line or narrow crowded streets.  It’s working for me. I’m gonna keep doing it cuz while the CDC changes their guidance people are still dying everyday from this 

• Like 4

41 minutes ago, 1pooh4u said:

Especially since you’re asking to be snarky and not because you really want to fuckin know

Oh no, I'm genuinely very curious if anybody else here is still singing the same tune they were this time last year, bc there were quite a few people other than you saying "oh yeah I'm going to wear my mask all the time forever anytime I ever go anywhere" and yet I look around and virtually nobody has worn one all year. 

Edited by NewBluntsworth
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • D'oh 3

The thing with masking is that its really a personal responsibility. If you are sick, think you are sick, or just want to take extra precautions then wear a mask. Nothing is stopping you from putting one on. When flu season really kicks off I hope people mask up if they have the sniffles. I know that I will be masking up if I have the sniffles, or if/when the flu really starts to get going this year.

Also, masks are great if you dont feel like wearing a bunch of makeup that day. Wake up late or just feeling lazy? Mask it is! Just cover up half your face and call it good.

• Like 6

Other than being a giant douche, nothing.  It costs you absolutely nothing to wear a mask if you have the sniffles or think you are sick. And by doing so you help prevent the spread of another illness that kills a ton of people every year.

I really hope that this whole thing has helped push personal masking into the norm. Thats how it works in places like Japan, and it works well.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, NewBluntsworth said:

just wondering. 

Yes, I still wear a mask indoors in public, and usually I’m the only one.

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, NewBluntsworth said:

Oh no, I'm genuinely very curious if anybody else here is still singing the same tune they were this time last year, bc there were quite a few people other than you saying "oh yeah I'm going to wear my mask all the time forever anytime I ever go anywhere" and yet I look around and virtually nobody has worn one all year. 

I’m sorry I jumped down your throat. This subject is still a sensitive one for me.  Idr saying I, or anyone else should wear them forever I did say that’s a possibility and if it was a permanent part of our lives so be it. Do I still think people crying about masks and refusing to wear them for the sake of other people are pieces of shit. Yeah I still think that.  Complaining about masks is one thing but refusing to wear one when we didn’t have treatments is another altogether.  
As for me I am immune compromised so I’m gonna wear masks indoors because there aren’t many studies showing how people with my condition deal with Covid19. Even if it’s just like the rest of the population I’m not trying to catch it. covid  sounds miserable and it does serious long term damage to the body. Particularly the heart.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Master-Debater131 said:

This is the CDC saying we have moved past the pandemic phase and into the endemic phase of Covid.  Its here forever, and we need to get on with our lives. I think its also where a lot of people have been for a long time already.  Its been about personal risk for quite a while, and this is the CDC admitting that thats where we are at.

I don’t get why mask mandates would be an indication of not moving on. The virus is still killing people and the existing treatments seem to have downsides, like rebounding Covid19 or wtf happened with Biden. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I’m sorry I jumped down your throat. This subject is still a sensitive one for me.  Idr saying I, or anyone else should wear them forever I did say that’s a possibility and if it was a permanent part of our lives so be it. Do I still think people crying about masks and refusing to wear them for the sake of other people are pieces of shit. Yeah I still think that.  Complaining about masks is one thing but refusing to wear one when we didn’t have treatments is another altogether.  
As for me I am immune compromised so I’m gonna wear masks indoors because there aren’t many studies showing how people with my condition deal with Covid19. Even if it’s just like the rest of the population I’m not trying to catch it. covid  sounds miserable and it does serious long term damage to the body. Particularly the heart.  

I probably said something to the effect that masks are here to stay, and I still believe it.  Not catching a cold or the flu every year is a good enough reason for me to continue wearing the mask inside for the foreseeable future, but, at the same time, I think businesses haven't done nearly enough to normalize mask wearing masks in their establishment.  Usually, they're the first to moan and bitch when mask requirements are threatened but they rarely make wearing masks inside a positive experience.    

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, 1pooh4u said:

I don’t get why mask mandates would be an indication of not moving on. The virus is still killing people and the existing treatments seem to have downsides, like rebounding Covid19 or wtf happened with Biden. 

Mask mandates are a sign of an out of control pandemic where we have no way to fight it.  They made a lot of sense early on, but have made less and less sense as time goes on. Instead of being a tool to fight the virus they have become to be seen as a sign of an overly powerful government.  You can argue all you want about how effective the mandates may or may not be, but we are well beyond the point where masking is our only, or even best, way to fight the virus.

The CDC even said in their statement that the combination of vaccines, natural immunity, and growing number of treatments that its time to move beyond the idea of using mandates. Covid isnt going anywhere, ever. Swinging constantly between mask mandates doesnt make a lot of sense anymore.

4 minutes ago, Master-Debater131 said:

Mask mandates are a sign of an out of control pandemic where we have no way to fight ite anymore.

That's an absurd misappropriation that was propagated in the early stages of the pandemic by elements seeking to tie-in government overreach.  They were never a "sign" of anything until bad actors chose to make them so, and there is no reason why that particular psychosis should continue to perpetuate now that we know better.

Just now, scoobdog said:

That's an absurd misappropriation that was propagated in the early stages of the pandemic by elements seeking to tie-in government overreach.  They were never a "sign" of anything until bad actors chose to make them so, and there is no reason why that particular psychosis should continue to perpetuate now that we know better.

They absolutely are a sign of whats going on. In the early stages of the pandemic they were a very clear sign that we had no way to stop the virus other than to wear a mask. As treatment got better, and vaccines became available, they became a sign of another tool to try and fight the virus. That was also the point where people started to openly ask "why get a shot if I still have to mask?" That was the first real push back on the mandates from a growing number of people. Now that we are multiple years into the virus, with widely available vaccines and treatments, mandates are absolutely seen as government overreach. Outside of a very small number of people support for mandates has collapsed. We are firmly in the "its up to you" phase of the virus. It is now another virus just like the flu. Its here forever, causes a lot of people to get sick, and kills a bunch of people. Its up to each individual person to decide what their acceptable risk level is and how to react accordingly.

Theres nothing stopping someone from wearing a mask if they want.  But the idea that mask mandates enjoy some sort of popularity or are coming back isnt based in reality. Unless some new variant starts killing 30% of the people it infects we arent going to see mandates return.

11 minutes ago, Master-Debater131 said:

They absolutely are a sign of whats going on.

That's different than "sign of an out of control pandemic."  If you wanted an actual sign that the pandemic was out of control, then you had the forced shutdowns, outdoor operations and curfews.  The logical flaw is that lack of control is registered in how many previously open spaces stop being accessible.  By comparison, the mask mandate was always a best practice requirement that reflected the nature of COVID transmission and, specifically, it's high transmission rate.  At no point, were COVID vaccines ever going to replace the need for a mask.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, NewBluntsworth said:

just wondering. 

:|

Yes. I wear a mask when taking public transportation and whenever I'm feeling sick myself regardless of whether it's just a cold, flu, allergies, or medical recovery. Dragon Con this year is still requiring masks while indoors and I'm fine with it and am double-checking all my themed masks to ensure that they are still at functioning standards with no problems having to do so. If I have to wear a mask all day long at the airport, I will do so. I always have a mask ready to go when I'm running errands and doublecheck to see if the clerks in the store are wearing and/or if there's a sign up asking people to mask up because it's the f-ing right thing to do. I'm immunocompromised, can't afford to get a murder-virus and don't want to be the one responsible for giving someone else who is immunocompromised a murder-virus. I still absolutely feel that anyone who is feeling remotely ill should either mask up or stay the f home. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1