UnevenEdge

favorite restaurants that no longer exist

nameraka

8 hours ago, resurrected said:

Also, Tasty Freeze. We had one and they still hold the record for best burger in my opinion.

We had a Tastee Freeze here that became a local restaurant but got BTFO'd when DQ opened up last year.

Also, cosign on Naraku/Odin's answers, I could get Quiznos at the student union if I didn't want to go across the street to Subway.

Dog & Suds Drive In - only a handful around.

St. George & the Dragon - set up like a medieval castle inside, crock of peanuts & pickles on the old wooden tables, shells thrown on the floor.  Large fireplaces and a firepit in the center.  Predates all the restaurants that followed with the peanut shells on the floor thing.

The Brown Derby - the Gerves (sp?) version, not the Disney wannabee.

Taco John's & Monical's Pizza - central IL staples, Monical's has great thin crust.

Grizzley's Lodge - Chicago sports bar, 12" tvs at every table with the ability to turn on any NFL game playing.  Wild Game burgers & food.

That Rax isn't very far from me, I think they are still in business.

There is a restaurant called Old Town that I know I will miss, they closed recently.

18 hours ago, resurrected said:

Western Sizzlin'. It was a steak house, 

I vaguely remember that place, I was 6-7 when they closed. I didn't like steak at that age so I always hit up the salad bar.

I miss Luca's that were in the mall.  It has such a good sausage roll.

Local Mexican restaurant called Margarita Paradise.  Had good spicy carrot pieces with the salsa and chips and great chimichangas.

It closed down five years ago at least and I still haven't found a good local Mexican restaurant to replace it.

Best here is Chipotle.

Thought of another one, and ya'll gonna probably look at the name weird Dixie Cafe used to make their chicken strips in the same type of batter as fish usually comes in, so it was smooth on the outside instead of what normal fast food/fast casual fried chicken has.

Edited by Seight

7 hours ago, BlackNoir said:

We still got Grandy's....It's Buddy's favorite Chicken place....I prefer Chicken express but that's just because they have a wider verity of side.

They all died here

I've heard rumors that the City has a few too but no one has ever confirmed their existence

3 hours ago, Seight said:

Thought of another one, and ya'll gonna probably look at the name weird Dixie Cafe used to make their chicken strips in the same type of batter as fish usually comes in, so it was smooth on the outside instead of what normal fast food/fast casual fried chicken has.

So it was kinda like chicken tempura...I've had that.