UnevenEdge

MLB 2020: The herpaderpaderpening.

StarPanda

13 hours ago, StarPanda said:

The Nationals move on, man the Cardinals sure disappointed I have no idea how they even beat the Braves.

It could be one of those magical years and the Nationals have a pretty good chance of taking it all 

Nats are looking good, Yanks or Stros definitely won't be easy but their starting pitching gives them a chance at least.

On 10/17/2019 at 9:35 AM, scope said:

Nats are looking good, Yanks or Stros definitely won't be easy but their starting pitching gives them a chance at least.

Yep the astros looking good vs the yankees, if they win tonight it will be a great pitching series vs Washington it will come down to bullpens 

• 2 weeks later...
  • Raptorpat unpinned this topic
  • 2 weeks later...
On 11/18/2019 at 9:43 PM, StarPanda said:

Well the astros dint have their 2017 cheating equipment thats why they struggled and eventually lost in the WS

The reason they're not being investigated is there's an understanding many teams would be investigated simultaneously. (That's what I heard anyway.) So the allegations remain allegations until further notice.

• 1 month later...

That's kind of an opinion piece, tbh.  At any rate, I'm interested to know what kind punishment could possibly be meted out anyway.  Lifetime bans would be draconian, but there really isn't much else that could happen.  You can't ban the team from play, and you can't punish players that weren't involved.  Maybe in season suspensions for some players?

Here's your answer.

Cliff notes: Luhnow and Hinch each received a one-year suspension from MLB. 'Stros owner Jim Crane said "that's not good enough for me. I legit built this team from the ground up, and they tarnished it with their bullshit. OFF WITH THEIR (figurative) HEADS!" (Basically, he fired both of them.)

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Sir Teddybar Gut Fullung said:

Here's your answer.

Cliff notes: Luhnow and Hinch each received a one-year suspension from MLB. 'Stros owner Jim Crane said "that's not good enough for me. I legit built this team from the ground up, and they tarnished it with their bullshit. OFF WITH THEIR (figurative) HEADS!" (Basically, he fired both of them.)

I saw that, but MLB also stated that it was player driven and no player were suspended.  It's hard to see how this doesn't taint the 2017 title in some form, particularly since, at the time, the Dodgers thought Yu Darvish was tipping his pitches.  Regardless, this is going to throw the Astros in some disarray.  More importantly, I think punishing he GM and the manager is the wrong approach:  it damages the team to be sure, but those guys weren't where the sign stealing started and, even if they didn't stop it, they also weren't encouraging it.  Seems to me those suspensions should go to the players themselves and the GM and manager might get smaller suspensions?

Edited by scoobdog

The reason no current or former Astros players involved in the scandal haven't been punished is due to the collective bargaining agreement between the league and the MLBPA. Not only that, but the commissioner put out a league-wide memo in September 2017 not only condemning the use of technology to steal signs, but also saying that if any team is found guilty of doing so, that team's manager and general manager will be held responsible. Hence the suspensions (and subsequent firing) of Hinch and Luhnow. (And of Alex Cora of the Red Sox.)

But they're not the only two teams doing it, according to Bleacher Report's Scott Miller. From an article he posted on October 2 of last year, he wrote that "Sources indicate Astros, Red Sox, Dodgers, New York Yankees and Diamondbacks have been adept with technological surveillance. A source mentions the Cubs and Nationals dabbled a bit. Other sources say Indians, Blue Jays and Texas Rangers as well."

So when I said that is was a much larger issue than just the Astros, I was right. But so far, as far as we know, only Houston and Boston have been investigated. I've yet to see any other investigations come out of it. But if the article is correct, then that means even the current World Series Champion, the Washington Nationals, should be investigated as well.

Here's the full article. I just wonder what else will happen. Will the league leave everyone else alone, or will they go after the others mentioned in the article? Only time will tell.

Edited by Sir Teddybar Gut Fullung
They really need to fix how text that was copied and pasted shows up in posts.
  • Like 1

There had to have been widespread use of technology if the commissioner needed to send out a memo dictating punishment if anyone was caught.  Whether anyone else gets punished really will depend on who else gets caught going forward:  Cora most likely brought this on Boston because of his prominence in the Astros scandal, so that means anyone else associated who moved to other teams will bring the same kind of scrutiny to those other teams.  However, investigating any and all instances of technology use would be a rabbit hole no one wants to jump down.

2 hours ago, scoobdog said:

There had to have been widespread use of technology if the commissioner needed to send out a memo dictating punishment if anyone was caught.  Whether anyone else gets punished really will depend on who else gets caught going forward:  Cora most likely brought this on Boston because of his prominence in the Astros scandal, so that means anyone else associated who moved to other teams will bring the same kind of scrutiny to those other teams.  However, investigating any and all instances of technology use would be a rabbit hole no one wants to jump down.

Of course. (Well, anyone associated with the team during the Luhnow-Hinch Era, at least.) Anyway, the highlighted part of your post is why I thought the MLB would leave everything alone due to the fact so many teams have been alleged in doing so. But like I said earlier, I was wrong on that so I expect the league to spread the net wider to include the other accused teams. We'll just have to wait and see.

In fact, Milwaukee Brewers 1B Logan Morrison is alleging that the Astros, Red Sox, Yankees, and Dodgers were all cheating. Story here via Bleacher Report.

5 hours ago, scoobdog said:

I thought I read somewhere that MLB knows of at least 7 different organizations doing the same thing as the Astros, to varying degrees of success. It was part of what has come out so far. 

5 hours ago, Master-Debater131 said:

I thought I read somewhere that MLB knows of at least 7 different organizations doing the same thing as the Astros, to varying degrees of success. It was part of what has come out so far. 

I believe it.  The thing that really got Cora and the Astros is the way it was so blatant and how it was going on in real time during games, but the commissioner was probably referring to a broader use of technology to steal signs as part of the pregame analytics.

NBC News' Corbin Smith wrote an opinion piece about the matter.

------------------------

TL;DR version: Smith believes the punishments handed down by the MLB against Hinch, Luhnow, and Cora are a gross overreaction, especially given the fact that "cheating" (or really, trying to gain a competitive edge) is an integral part of the game. He bases this on the fact that despite all the video technology the Astros employed in their scheme, they only improved their team average by, according to him, 0.035 points. In other words, he's saying the sign-stealing scheme didn't really help them at all. Not only that, but he also believes that the whole reaction by MLB to this is overblown, and states that baseball "has overlearned the lessons of the steroid era and is desperate to seem like it takes policing cheating seriously lest those dark days be relived." Furthermore, he points to the fact that baseball in general is based on tradition. Well, tradition in that it has been slow to embrace technological advances in the game. (Read: very slow to implement instant replay, and even then, it is only meant to be used for certain instances.)

Long story short: MLB grossly overreacted, and its gross overreaction is based on the fallout from the steroid era as well as its reluctance to embrace technology to improve the game as it's being played.

-------------------------

What say you?

19 hours ago, scoobdog said:

I believe it.  The thing that really got Cora and the Astros is the way it was so blatant and how it was going on in real time during games, but the commissioner was probably referring to a broader use of technology to steal signs as part of the pregame analytics.

Well theres a lot floating around today to saying that the Astros wore wires that buzzed them if a specific pitch was coming. 

I really have to wonder just how many teams are doing this, or something similar. 

27 minutes ago, Master-Debater131 said:

Well theres a lot floating around today to saying that the Astros wore wires that buzzed them if a specific pitch was coming. 

I really have to wonder just how many teams are doing this, or something similar. 

That seems far fetched.

4 hours ago, Master-Debater131 said:

The MLB has said the rumor you mentioned never happened. Story via the Houston Chronicle website.

Also, Carlos Beltran stepped down as Mets manager. I did not see that coming.

1 minute ago, scope said:

Just going to appreciate that I made this thread before this shitstorm of allegations :D 

Oh, the allegations had been circulating for a while before you made the thread. lol We just decided to use it to discuss everything related to the sign-stealing scandal.

Actually, if it's cool with you, I wonder if one of the mods could change the thread to this: "MLB sign-stealing scandal thread". (Or Astros sign-stealing scandal thread, even though at least seven other teams have been implicated in using technology to steal signs.)

On 11/18/2019 at 8:43 PM, StarPanda said:

Well the astros dint have their 2017 cheating equipment thats why they struggled and eventually lost in the WS

I thought the same thing when you wrote this but it appears they did and still couldn't win...looking back at the Rays series they were hitting of Glasnow like it was tee ball, almost certain they were cheating in both of those games Glasnow pitched.

1 minute ago, Sir Teddybar Gut Fullung said:

Oh, the allegations had been circulating for a while before you made the thread. lol We just decided to use it to discuss everything related to the sign-stealing scandal.

Actually, if it's cool with you, I wonder if one of the mods could change the thread to this: "MLB sign-stealing scandal thread". (Or Astros sign-stealing scandal thread, even though at least seven other teams have been implicated in using technology to steal signs.)

Yeah true they had been rumbling about it but I don't think the MLB was going to confront it until that Jomboy dude exposed it on youtube a couple months after the Rays series.

Yeah that's perfectly fine with me.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 2/5/2020 at 5:51 PM, Seight said:

I just want everyone to remember that a perennial playoff-contending team traded one of the best young players in baseball for a bench player and a relief pitcher to save payroll when we miss the 2021 opening day because of a strike/lockout.

You can throw Kris Bryant losing his grievance hearing with the MLB in this bag too

Boras has to wait two more years before he can cash in on him as a Free Agent and you know he's going to throw a fit

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

i just want to go on the record as saying, i feel like teams having their own tv networks is bullshit, and i'm mad as hell.

*makes weekly check-in call to cable provider*
"oh, you just started offering marquee yesterday?"

ok, so it's still bullshit. but this will conclude the complain-about-shit portion of this post.

On 2/25/2020 at 3:46 PM, wacky1980 said:

i just want to go on the record as saying, i feel like teams having their own tv networks is bullshit, and i'm mad as hell.

*makes weekly check-in call to cable provider*
"oh, you just started offering marquee yesterday?"

ok, so it's still bullshit. but this will conclude the complain-about-shit portion of this post.

There's uh, reddit things for this

I know the actual live stream sports sub reddit got shutdown but it lives on on the platform in ways you can discover via easy search

Found this out this year when the OU game was interrupted by Weather updates/Packers being black outed by the Regional game, a quick Google search of your preferred team's game and livestream will yield some stuff

5 hours ago, molarbear said:

There's uh, reddit things for this

I know the actual live stream sports sub reddit got shutdown but it lives on on the platform in ways you can discover via easy search

Found this out this year when the OU game was interrupted by Weather updates/Packers being black outed by the Regional game, a quick Google search of your preferred team's game and livestream will yield some stuff

That's super for personal use. I'm trying to get TVs in a business tuned into games the customers are asking for.

• 4 weeks later...
On 3/5/2020 at 8:22 AM, Ginguy said:

I'd like to point out that while a pitcher can indeed bean a batter, the batter is still holding a bat....

Sometimes discretion is the better part of valor.

You'd think, but of course, the baseball can be used as a projectile. (Then again, so can a baseball bat. However, you have more time to dodge a bat than a ball thrown at nearly a hundred miles per hour.)