UnevenEdge

MLB 2020: The herpaderpaderpening.

StarPanda

20 hours ago, molarbear said:

Cubs haven't looked too hot since spring training ended.  I thought they were going to blow it today until that nice little surprise rally in the 9th.

they're 5-4 so far, all on the road. if they can look like they have and still win half of their road games, they're gonna be a playoff contender.

• StarPanda unpinned and pinned this topic
On 4/8/2018 at 8:44 PM, wacky1980 said:

they're 5-4 so far, all on the road. if they can look like they have and still win half of their road games, they're gonna be a playoff contender.

how'd you like that complete meltdown by the Braves for the 9 run 8th inning the other day?

I don't know if you get to watch the games very often (I only get to see them when they're on ESPN or a major network here) so I was keeping up with it on my phone and thought I had stroked out or something when I saw them jump ahead

15 hours ago, The Hound said:

idk how my phillies are on a 6 game win streak

I wouldn't get your hopes up dude.  That Manager they got is all kinds of janky and not in the good Joe Madden way.  He legit pulled a starter who was 5 innings in and had given up 2 hits and only thrown 72 pitches then proceeded to burn through the bullpen and lose the game.

I'm not saying the Phillies don't have talent, I'm saying the person in charge of their talent has made some very illogical decisions thus far. 

Also Bryce Harper knocked the absolute shit out a Baseball last night http://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/23206742/bryce-harper-washington-nationals-homers-breaking-bat-new-york-mets

That's not normal, most broken bats happen at the barrel and aren't completely broken, they chip or kinda break.  Coincidence or not there is a metric fuckton of power behind this homerun.

Guest The Hound
2 hours ago, molarbear said:

I wouldn't get your hopes up dude.  That Manager they got is all kinds of janky and not in the good Joe Madden way.  He legit pulled a starter who was 5 innings in and had given up 2 hits and only thrown 72 pitches then proceeded to burn through the bullpen and lose the game.

I'm not saying the Phillies don't have talent, I'm saying the person in charge of their talent has made some very illogical decisions thus far. 

philly agrees with you entirely.

18 hours ago, wacky1980 said:

i got my new javy jersey in the mail yesterday. he better not start sucking now.

If he ever quits swinging to land a ball on the Moon and focuses on just getting hits that dude is going to be a fucking Apex Predator at the plate

• Like 1

On 5/8/2018 at 10:01 AM, scope said:

Knew the Yankees would be good this year, didn't expect them to be this good with Stanton hitting less than .230

I gotta be honest, I fucking hate the Yankees.  That being said it was weird seeing them not relevant for a few seasons.

They did a complete rebuild in a matter of years without completely tanking and are loaded with youthful players, it's actually really impressive.

On 5/12/2018 at 2:35 AM, molarbear said:

I gotta be honest, I fucking hate the Yankees.  That being said it was weird seeing them not relevant for a few seasons.

They did a complete rebuild in a matter of years without completely tanking and are loaded with youthful players, it's actually really impressive.

You either love the Yankees or hate em, there's really no in between.

• 2 weeks later...

The Cleveland Indians are leading the AL Central division, but only have an even .500 record. :|

When I looked at the stats of the NL West, I was hugely surprised to see the D-Backs had slipped to second place. I thought the only way they could not run away with the division is if they had a total meltdown. Well apparently that's exactly what happened. They've lost 7 games in a row, and their record for their last 10 games is 1-9. lol

Cubs SP's have been not on point all season.  Chatwood shows signs of brilliance then no control and walks a metric fuck ton of batters, Darvish is on the DL for the 2nd time and has one win on the season, Lester got unlucky and pitched 7 great innings giving up one run while the other dude was working on a no no.  I feel like the Cubs aren't synched up yet. 

2 hours ago, Doom Metal Alchemist said:

Jesus Christ, Paul Goldschmidt of the D-backs came into tonight's game against the Giants with a batting average of .208. He's been in the major's for quite a while now, and his average ALWAYS is either above .300 or slightly lower than .300. What the hell happened this year?

Did he get hit?

Jason Heyward took a ball to the face a few years back and he's never been the same at the plate

8 hours ago, Doom Metal Alchemist said:

Also the Texas Rangers recently released Tim Lincecum. I don't think he ever pitched in the majors for them.

https://sportsday.dallasnews.com/texas-rangers/rangers/2018/06/05/rangers-grant-outright-release-pitcher-tim-lincecum

I saw that.  I guess his era in triple A was around 5

I wish him the best of luck and hope he gets his comeback someday

1 hour ago, molarbear said:

I saw that.  I guess his era in triple A was around 5

I wish him the best of luck and hope he gets his comeback someday

There was an interesting bit in the article I linked to. I'm going to divide the sentence into two separate quotes...

Lincecum had a 5.68 ERA in 12.2 innings of rehab 

Sounds like doomsday for his career right? But let's read the rest of that sentence...

but he's allowed just one hit and no earned runs in his last four outings.

Sounds like things are actually starting to look up for him. :o Some of the tweets referenced in the article basically said that there's just not really room for him with the Rangers, and that if someone was going to be called up from the minors, there is a certain other person who should get the first chance (I'm assuming that other person is also a pitcher, but I really don't know). If another organization gives him a minor league deal really quick so he doesn't lose the momentum he's currently on, who knows...

4 minutes ago, Doom Metal Alchemist said:

There was an interesting bit in the article I linked to. I'm going to divide the sentence into two separate quotes...

Sounds like doomsday for his career right? But let's read the rest of that sentence...

Sounds like things are actually starting to look up for him. :o Some of the tweets referenced in the article basically said that there's just not really room for him with the Rangers, and that if someone was going to be called up from the minors, there is a certain other person who should get the first chance (I'm assuming that other person is also a pitcher, but I really don't know). If another organization gives him a minor league deal really quick so he doesn't lose the momentum he's currently on, who knows...

...I didn't read your article I just read the one on ESPN

you have to think if he's showing that much promise someone is going to sign him

Just now, molarbear said:

...I didn't read your article I just read the one on ESPN

you have to think if he's showing that much promise someone is going to sign him

Yeah, I hope someone does. I wonder how likely it would be the Giants?? :o After Pablo Sandoval proved to be a horrendous signing for the Red Sox, the Giants gave him another chance. If I remember right, it was around the second half of last year when the Giants re-signed him, and only now is he starting to excel again. His current batting average after today's game is .282. Holy fuck! I know he had no overall season averages like that with the Red Sox, but I don't know if there was any point in beginning or middle of those seasons where his average was that high. Pablo's only playing every day now due to the normal first baseman Brandon Belt being on the DL (he himself is having a career year). But once Belt comes back, Bruce Bochy might have to consider taking 3rd base from Evan Longoria and giving it to Sandoval.

Anyways, I said all that to say, if the Giants could give former Giants fan favorite Pablo Sandoval another shot to resurrect his career after bottoming out, why not Lincecum? AND the fact that the Giants have experienced so many injuries to pitchers this season. Yesterday was Bumgarner's first start of the season, after having spent like two months on the DL. Jeff Samardzija and Johnny Cueto are both on the DL. Dereck Rodriguez is definitely a fine interim starter to cover one of those spots. We have so many pitchers up from the minors because of injuries, the Giants or their AAA affiliate could be a place for Lincecum to excel. 

15 minutes ago, Doom Metal Alchemist said:

Yeah, I hope someone does. I wonder how likely it would be the Giants?? :o After Pablo Sandoval proved to be a horrendous signing for the Red Sox, the Giants gave him another chance. If I remember right, it was around the second half of last year when the Giants re-signed him, and only now is he starting to excel again. His current batting average after today's game is .282. Holy fuck! I know he had no overall season averages like that with the Red Sox, but I don't know if there was any point in beginning or middle of those seasons where his average was that high. Pablo's only playing every day now due to the normal first baseman Brandon Belt being on the DL (he himself is having a career year). But once Belt comes back, Bruce Bochy might have to consider taking 3rd base from Evan Longoria and giving it to Sandoval.

Anyways, I said all that to say, if the Giants could give former Giants fan favorite Pablo Sandoval another shot to resurrect his career after bottoming out, why not Lincecum? AND the fact that the Giants have experienced so many injuries to pitchers this season. Yesterday was Bumgarner's first start of the season, after having spent like two months on the DL. Jeff Samardzija and Johnny Cueto are both on the DL. Dereck Rodriguez is definitely a fine interim starter to cover one of those spots. We have so many pitchers up from the minors because of injuries, the Giants or their AAA affiliate could be a place for Lincecum to excel. 

I think that'd be great for him to go back to the Giants and finish out his career there.

Complete sidenote about everything else you mentioned... I'm a firm believer the Red Sox are going to win it all this year. 

Unless you're the Mariners you don't start a season 41-19 and not win out, the odds are so in their favor that I'm simply talking about it out of slight respect to them and also hoping I jynx the fuck out of them to give the Cubs a chance.

Seriously though, Red Sox are scary fucking good thus far into the season.   Evilbob is elated and I imagine Skiles is too. 

5 minutes ago, molarbear said:

I think that'd be great for him to go back to the Giants and finish out his career there.

Complete sidenote about everything else you mentioned... I'm a firm believer the Red Sox are going to win it all this year. 

Unless you're the Mariners you don't start a season 41-19 and not win out, the odds are so in their favor that I'm simply talking about it out of slight respect to them and also hoping I jynx the fuck out of them to give the Cubs a chance.

Seriously though, Red Sox are scary fucking good thus far into the season.   Evilbob is elated and I imagine Skiles is too. 

I just checked the standings, and the Yankees are only 1 game back of the Red Sox. xD So the AL East will definitely be one of those two teams. The third place team is like 14 games back.

Earlier in this very thread I posted how it looked like that the D-Backs were going to run away with the NL West, but they had a complete meltdown and fell to second. The D-Backs and Rockies are currently tied for first.

NL Central is surprising with the Brewers leading but I await for them to go West and face Kershaw.

Yanks pulled off a tank/rebuild surprisingly fast

I've said it before and I'll say it again, I'm glad the Yankees are relevant in baseball again.

They're a huge market team and as much as I hate them,  when they succeed Baseball is that much more relevant

8 minutes ago, molarbear said:

NL Central is surprising with the Brewers leading but I await for them to go West and face Kershaw.

Yanks pulled off a tank/rebuild surprisingly fast

I've said it before and I'll say it again, I'm glad the Yankees are relevant in baseball again.

They're a huge market team and as much as I hate them,  when they succeed Baseball is that much more relevant

I hated the Yankees when they were in every World Series, but they've been absent long enough for me to not hate them anymore. :D

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, molarbear said:

We all secretly wish the bronx bombers return but in the meantime.  I hope the Cubs become a annoying Tyrant in that field.

But then I'd have to start hating the Cubs. >_>

The Giants won 3 World Series in the span of half a decade. Honestly I'll be satisfied with that for quite a while. :D

Now for me it's more about the Giants doing better than the Dodgers than winning the WS. :D

Edited by Doom Metal Alchemist

Haha, it seems the recent sweep the Giants had over the Phillies pissed off Jake Arrietta (who is now a Phillie).

https://www.nbcsports.com/philadelphia/phillies/jake-arrieta-unloads-everyone-everything-phillies-suffer-sweep-giants

I recommend watching the short video of the interview at the top. He even said, "We had a good April, a good May. June's not starting out so well."

It's like, dude, MLB regular seasons are 162 games long, you're bound to get swept in a three game series here and there. Calm the fuck down. I swear to God in years past the Giants would have like a 9 game losing streak followed by a 9 game winning streak less than a week later. As Mike Krukow would say, "That's baseball."

On 6/7/2018 at 5:39 AM, Doom Metal Alchemist said:

Haha, it seems the recent sweep the Giants had over the Phillies pissed off Jake Arrietta (who is now a Phillie).

https://www.nbcsports.com/philadelphia/phillies/jake-arrieta-unloads-everyone-everything-phillies-suffer-sweep-giants

I recommend watching the short video of the interview at the top. He even said, "We had a good April, a good May. June's not starting out so well."

It's like, dude, MLB regular seasons are 162 games long, you're bound to get swept in a three game series here and there. Calm the fuck down. I swear to God in years past the Giants would have like a 9 game losing streak followed by a 9 game winning streak less than a week later. As Mike Krukow would say, "That's baseball."

in all honesty I wish The Cubs and Scott Boras could have reached some kind of agreement but now we got Yu Darvish who is spending his 2nd stint on the DL and has 1 win......

We also have Tyler Chatwood who is just a giver of walks

• 2 weeks later...

Madison Bumgarner's back in top form. Due to an injury, he had virtually no spring training, and only had his fourth start tonight. His first three starts were all pretty mediocre. Tonight he went 8 shutout innings, and the Giants beat the Padres 3 - 0.

He struck out 8, walked 2, and gave up 3 hits.

• 2 weeks later...

Cubs need better SP's if they want to win the WS again.  Quintana can't make it through a lineup 3 times and Chatwood is basically a bust.  Hendricks is a good pitcher but he's having an off season and Darvish is on the DL while Montgomery has proved he's worthy of a starting role.  I say Quintana goes to the BP for a LR spot and Montgomery replaces him.  Chatwood they trade for some mid to low grade prospects that show some kind of potential and move on.  He's looking like the Edwin Jackson signing all over again and it's not pretty. 

• 2 weeks later...
19 hours ago, Doom Metal Alchemist said:

Holy Bejebus. :D

dude I took an Ambien last night and it failed

the link isn't working for me, did I link the full swing that they claimed the dude checked, or did I link the duck video? 

These are serious questions

1 minute ago, molarbear said:

dude I took an Ambien last night and it failed

the link isn't working for me, did I link the full swing that they claimed the dude checked, or did I link the duck video? 

These are serious questions

The video I see that you embedded is a batter hitting a foul ball into and out of the catcher's glove, but before the ball hits the ground, the catcher snags it out of the air for the out.

1 minute ago, Doom Metal Alchemist said:

@molarbear the video you embedded is in this link: Click

at least it wasn't the duckling video....

I need to find the youtube video of the check swing from Hell and post it for you

There were two umpires in a Latino league where the dude did a full swing on a ball and they ruled it a check swing

3 minutes ago, molarbear said:

at least it wasn't the duckling video....

I need to find the youtube video of the check swing from Hell and post it for you

There were two umpires in a Latino league where the dude did a full swing on a ball and they ruled it a check swing

lol

Well the one you did link was pretty impressive anyway. :D

Just learned today that Mike Matheny is no longer the manager of the St. Louis Cardinals. That's too bad. He spent the last two years of his playing career as a Giant, and he was awesome defensively, and by far the best defensive catcher the Giants had in my recent memory at least until Buster Posey. For that reason I liked to root for the Cardinals in the post season (except when they played the Giants). Now I have no reason to root for the Cardinals anymore.

On 7/22/2018 at 1:06 PM, Doom Metal Alchemist said:

Now I have no reason to root for the Cardinals anymore.

it's ok. neither do most cardinal fans at this point.

on an unrelated note, it was not fun watching the cubs get spanked last night. it was fun, however, watching rizzo beg to pitch until he got his way. even when they lose, they're fun to watch.

28 minutes ago, wacky1980 said:

it's ok. neither do most cardinal fans at this point.

on an unrelated note, it was not fun watching the cubs get spanked last night. it was fun, however, watching rizzo beg to pitch until he got his way. even when they lose, they're fun to watch.

Earlier this season, Giants 3rd baseman Pablo Sandoval pitched an inning in relief due to a banged up bullpen, but I missed it. Apparently he did very well, with a 1-2-3 inning.