UnevenEdge

MLB 2020: The herpaderpaderpening.

StarPanda

3 hours ago, Doom Metal Alchemist said:

Earlier this season, Giants 3rd baseman Pablo Sandoval pitched an inning in relief due to a banged up bullpen, but I missed it. Apparently he did very well, with a 1-2-3 inning.

yeah, i'm not really opposed to such a thing in the right circumstances. the cubs had, at that point, played 7 games in 6 days and burned thru their bullpen a couple times over that stretch. maddon was giving the regular rotation a break in a situation that didn't actually call for them. and it was fun. that's also kinda why ferrell started yesterday, and is now headed back to iowa today.

On 6/10/2018 at 12:54 AM, molarbear said:

in all honesty I wish The Cubs and Scott Boras could have reached some kind of agreement but now we got Yu Darvish who is spending his 2nd stint on the DL and has 1 win......

We also have Tyler Chatwood who is just a giver of walks

Cubs just traded for Cole Hamels which I'm fairly positive means Chatwood is out of the Starting Rotation

Hopefully Quintana and Hendricks can find their groove again and the Cubs will have a semi solid Starting Rotation again instead of Lester going beast mode

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Sawdamizer said:

Just stopped in to say I'm going to the Redsox game tonight.... How bout Dem Redsox? 85 wins and it's not even middle of August? 

don't worry, they'll choke. maybe not til the cubs knock them out in the ws, but it'll happen. 1986 all over again baby!\

rlytho, have fun. it's been too long since i've been to a real ballgame (i say real because i take the wife to watch the cards in stl occasionally, but i don't think the cards even count as a real team anymore lol).

https://numbersinwords.net/1001-in-words says "one thousand and first" and there's the catch. i wasn't including the "and" because i was of the impression that, since you didn't include it after hundred (one hundred one instead of one hundred and one), you also didn't use it after thousand. but if you do use it after thousand, "st" makes more sense than "th." fair enough.

Edited by wacky1980

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
6 hours ago, Doom Metal Alchemist said:

It was one thing when people were throwing back Barry Bonds' home run balls because of the steroid scandal, but why do people throw the ball back on like any opposing player's home run? If you don't want it ask the people around you if they do.

Lol..I mean, this is just the way it has always been. And those seats... Are typically only Boston.

6 hours ago, Doom Metal Alchemist said:

It was one thing when people were throwing back Barry Bonds' home run balls because of the steroid scandal, but why do people throw the ball back on like any opposing player's home run? If you don't want it ask the people around you if they do.

Fuck that.  If you didn't catch the ball yourself, then you don't deserve it anyway unless your like ten years old.

On 9/30/2018 at 8:47 AM, Doom Metal Alchemist said:

doesn't every park's crowd toss back an opposing team's homerun? i thought that was just proper etiquette.

2 minutes ago, wacky1980 said:

doesn't every park's crowd toss back an opposing team's homerun? i thought that was just proper etiquette.

I never saw that until it started happening to Bonds' homeruns in the mid 2000s. Then somewhere along the lines it became common place to throw back opposing players homerun balls.

Edited by Doom Metal Alchemist

2 hours ago, molarbear said:

Meh, I dunno dude I wasn't really feeling it this year.  They got 95 wins with only 3 starters being consistent and they didn't even get Hamels until halfway through the season. 

i felt good about things til september. i'm content with any postseason play, even if it ends with nlds elimination. i don't know that they deserve it this year.

lester will probably pitch a great game tomorrow and the cubs will advance to face milwaukee three more times, maybe four, this week. then they'll be done.

On 9/30/2018 at 8:47 AM, Doom Metal Alchemist said:

And if they do, throw them on to the field so they can go get the ball.

9 hours ago, StarPanda said:

The Rockies take it in the 13th 

Goodbye Cubs another 100 years for you guys 

Rockies better watch for them 

they beat a cubs team that hasn't had any respectable offense for a month+, and it took them 13 innings to do it with 2 runs. milwaukee is gonna squash the rockies.

6 hours ago, wacky1980 said:

they beat a cubs team that hasn't had any respectable offense for a month+, and it took them 13 innings to do it with 2 runs. milwaukee is gonna squash the rockies.

That really boggled my mind.  I don't know if it was physical exhaustion from playing over 30 games straight or just a straight burn out from playing in 3 post seasons in a row but there's no reason you have that many decent players and struggle offensively like that.  I kind of figured it was a bad omen when Darvish was injured at the beginning of the season, then Chatwood turned out to be a walk machine, then Morrow and Strop went out for the season.