UnevenEdge

MLB 2020: The herpaderpaderpening.

StarPanda

Got a notice on my phone earlier tonight that 3 Giants won gold gloves for the 2016 season:

Catcher Buster Posey (his 1st gold glove)

Second baseman Joe Panik (his first gold glove)

Short stop Brandon Crawford (his second gold glove, and second in a row)

Buster's gold glove ends Yadier Molina's 8 year streak of gold gloves for the NL catcher.

The Giants brought the defense this year!  8)

• 4 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

So my Bleacher Report app told me that Matt Cain got a win over the Diamondbacks today, giving up 1 ER over 5 innings. My first thought was, "Oh, he did good today!" Then I thought about what I had just said, and it's like, a good Matt Cain start is like a good Tim Lincicum start. Going the bare minimum for a win while giving up minimal runs. You can KINDA draw parallels in that Matt Cain started ruling right from the get go and has for the last few years started sucking the big one, and the same exact thing happened to Lincicum earlier. However, it took Matt Cain quite a bit longer to start sucking than it did Tim Lincicum.

Thinking about this, my next thought was, "hopefully Bumgarner doesn't start sucking until he's at retirement age."

Kershaw is too good

Arizona and Colorado leading that division so far  ::spin::

Meanwhile my mariners have started pretty crappy but it's just 2 weeks in

I wouldn't worry too much, the Cubs are 6-5 and have a none existent bullpen (like always)

I think teams are realizing that and working the counts more to get past the Starters 

So my Bleacher Report app told me that Matt Cain got a win over the Diamondbacks today, giving up 1 ER over 5 innings. My first thought was, "Oh, he did good today!" Then I thought about what I had just said, and it's like, a good Matt Cain start is like a good Tim Lincicum start. Going the bare minimum for a win while giving up minimal runs. You can KINDA draw parallels in that Matt Cain started ruling right from the get go and has for the last few years started sucking the big one, and the same exact thing happened to Lincicum earlier. However, it took Matt Cain quite a bit longer to start sucking than it did Tim Lincicum.

Thinking about this, my next thought was, "hopefully Bumgarner doesn't start sucking until he's at retirement age."

Well I assumed this was a goof, but last night, Matt Cain had a downright GREAT game. Gave up 1 run over 7 innings! A fantastic outing right after a good outing. Definitely a good sign. Maybe he's on the road to being his old self again. He didn't get the win last night, as the score was tied 1-1 when he left the game, but the Giants did end up winning it in 11 innings. Woo!

Horrible news for the Giants. Bumgarner sprained his shoulder and ribs in a dirt bike accident and is expected to miss 6-8 weeks.  :(

Samardzija and Cain are going to really have to step it up for the Giants to even have a prayer. Cain was great for many years before faltering starting in the (I think) 2013 season, but his last 2 starts have seen him maybe going back to his old self finally. Samardzija ruled for the first half of last year, then sucked for the second half and most of this season so far. His last start was pretty good though. He struggled in the first inning but improved after that and had a good game except for the first inning. So we'll see.

I have no idea who'll take Bum's place in the rotation. If Chris Heston is still in the Giants organization, maybe they can call him up again. He had a no-hitter in his rookie season with the Giants (Can't quite remember what year that was... 2015 maybe?)

EDIT: Looks like rookie Ty Blach gets the first crack at Bumgarner's spot in the rotation.

Horrible news for the Giants. Bumgarner sprained his shoulder and ribs in a dirt bike accident and is expected to miss 6-8 weeks.  :(

Samardzija and Cain are going to really have to step it up for the Giants to even have a prayer. Cain was great for many years before faltering starting in the (I think) 2013 season, but his last 2 starts have seen him maybe going back to his old self finally. Samardzija ruled for the first half of last year, then sucked for the second half and most of this season so far. His last start was pretty good though. He struggled in the first inning but improved after that and had a good game except for the first inning. So we'll see.

I have no idea who'll take Bum's place in the rotation. If Chris Heston is still in the Giants organization, maybe they can call him up again. He had a no-hitter in his rookie season with the Giants (Can't quite remember what year that was... 2015 maybe?)

EDIT: Looks like rookie Ty Blach gets the first crack at Bumgarner's spot in the rotation.

I don't know what it is about Samardzija, dude's got Ace stuff but he seems destine to always be a 3-4 rotation spot

He just can't seem to keep his stuff consistent enough

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Here's some breaking news: The Red Sox designated Pablo Sandoval for assignment with nearly $50 million left on his contract:

http://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/20040647/boston-red-sox-designate-pablo-sandoval-assignment

The Pablo Sandoval era is over in Boston.

Sandoval was informed Friday that he has been designated for assignment, the Red Sox announced, a move effectively terminates one of the worst free-agent signings in franchise history. The Red Sox still owe the 30-year-old third baseman approximately $49 million through the end of the 2019 season.

Boston has 10 days to either trade or release Sandoval.

So long, Panda! Ranking the lowest points in Boston's Pablo Sandoval era

The Red Sox DFAed their perpetually embattled third baseman on Friday. We look back at the bad and ugly from one of the worst free-agent signings ever.

"I thank the Boston Red Sox for the opportunity and I remain positive that with the love and support of my family I will continue on with my career," Sandoval told ESPN's Marly Rivera.

Sandoval said he is currently in Miami, where he will remain training and working out, preparing for the next step in his career.

The Red Sox signed Sandoval to a five-year, $95 million contract after the 2014 season. He was coming off a stellar postseason and a third World Series title with the San Francisco Giants and was pursued aggressively by both the Giants and the San Diego Padres.

But Sandoval's tenure with the Red Sox was characterized by poor performance, multiple injuries and frustration by the team over his subpar conditioning. In 161 games for the Sox, he batted .237 with 14 home runs, 59 RBIs, a .646 OPS and 21 errors at third base. Sandoval was worth two wins less than the value of a replacement player, according to Baseball-Reference.com.

Sandoval spent the past two weeks on a minor league rehab assignment with Triple-A Pawtucket after going on the disabled list with an inner-ear infection. During that time, the Red Sox got surprisingly strong performances at third base from light-hitting Deven Marrero and Double-A call-up Tzu-Wei Lin. With Sandoval nearing the end of the maximum 20-day assignment, the team was forced to make a decision.

"It really came down to us feeling that we were not a better club if he was on our club at the major league level," president of baseball operations Dave Dombrowski said. "It was a tough decision, but it was one that we felt was the right one."

Sandoval is due more money than the combined $47.3 million the team's top nine players, per WAR, combined will make this season: outfielder Mookie Betts ($950,000); pitcher Chris Sale ($12 million); outfielder Jackie Bradley Jr. ($3.6 million); closer Craig Kimbrel ($13 million); shortstop Xander Bogaerts ($4.5 million); pitcher Drew Pomeranz ($4.45 million); reliever Joe Kelly ($2.8 million); first baseman Mitch Moreland ($5.5 million); and outfielder Andrew Benintendi ($549,000).

After missing almost all of last season while recovering from shoulder surgery, Sandoval had virtually no competition for the third base job in spring training. The Red Sox traded Travis Shaw, who beat out Sandoval for the position before last season, to the Milwaukee Brewers for reliever Tyler Thornburg, who won't throw a pitch this season after undergoing surgery for thoracic-outlet syndrome.

Sandoval has played only 32 games this season, batting .212 with four homers, a .622 OPS and five errors.

• 2 weeks later...

Cubs need to go on a winning streak

Still no time to panic

Dodgers are hot

Yankees look good

Astros look great

I don't know what's going on with the Cubs, I mean they've been pretty hot since the All-Star break but it's still not on par with last year. 

Their Starting pitchers were pretty terrible in the first half and in the second half their bullpen is shotty. 

I'd like to see a 2-peat from my Cubbies but it's looking more and more like it's going to be an Astros/Dodgers World Series

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Indians pitching is filthy good

Altuve had a monster day for the astros

Kluber gave up 6 runs in 2.2 innings tonight

what alternative universe have we stumbled into?

Seriously, I know most pitchers have a bad day occasionally but that man is usually a fucking finely tuned machine of untouchable pitches

• wacky1980 changed the title to MLB 2018: The Season: The Thread
  • Raptorpat unpinned and pinned this topic
  • Raptorpat unpinned this topic
  • Raptorpat pinned this topic
  • Raptorpat locked and locked this topic