UnevenEdge

Toonami Unevenedge Ratings Discussion 3.0: Let The Good Times Roll!!!!!

Well, folks, the numbers are finally in, and the lead-in combo of double Hank and quadruple Stan led to BIG improvement for Toonami!

https://showbuzzdaily.com/articles/showbuzzdailys-saturday-11-27-2021-top-150-cable-originals-network-finals.html

Spoiler

2021-11-27-Sat-FinalCable-LSD.png

Only 2 AM Shippuden didn't make the Top 50, as it landed at #56 with 143K and a 0.08 in Adults 18-49. Only it also didn't beat the "BUTT Bowl" in Adults 18-49, which checked in at #50.

BRBL and Yashahime's definitive female flair seems to be shining through, taking a page from Toonami's 2015 playbook, as Female 12-34 apparently outpaced their Male counterparts by 33-50% on a scaled-by-share basis.

Edited by OwlChemist81

Just one show was eligible, and it made it, but DAMN, women weren't watching!!

https://showbuzzdaily.com/articles/showbuzzdailys-saturday-12-4-2021-top-150-cable-originals-network-finals.html

Spoiler

2021-12-4-Sat-FinalCable-LSD-1.png

This performance makes me believe it was actually Yashahime which carried that key demographic, because in its absence, female watchers dropped off HARD! Towa a stronger lead than Elle; go figure!

Edit: oddly enough, we do have numbers for the 3 AM hour in the update: "On Adult Swim, DR STONE dropped 0.02 to 0.06/109K, and DRAGON BALL was down 0.02 to 0.05/113K." That's really not too shabby since the premiere was only at 0.09/218K.

Edited by OwlChemist81

9 hours ago, PokeNirvash said:

All that and a 2/5 rating from the ANN reviewer this week, and I'm thinking Black Lotus is looking to be more of a dud than Fena, which at least had crash-and-burn ambition to it.

I think it's better than Fena, but an amnesia/ revenge plotline with 10 year old CGI set in a Sci Fi world that people really aren't that into..... was never going to be a big hit.

Still calling the end reveal where we find out she was human all along.

Welp.

https://showbuzzdaily.com/articles/showbuzzdailys-saturday-12-11-2021-top-150-cable-originals-network-finals.html

The second weekend in December is not historically bright for Toonami, as it featured the "unholy megabomb" of Hellsing Ultimate and FMA: Milos in 2014 that hit a new ratings low at the time, but since then of course that relative nadir has been eclipsed as the Age of Streaming gets more and more aggressive. However, I have to admit I expected better than #49 for Black Lotus and NOTHING else making the Top 50!

If there is a silver lining, it's that the Yashahime premieres and the accidental rerun managed to maintain over a 0.07 in Adults 18-49 and over 150K total viewers. While Shippuden kept the 0.07 going, it dropped to 128K viewers. Apparently the 1.5 College Football stadiums'-full of RYFs really didn't care that they were watching a rerun, or they held out hope that the season finale would air in Shippuden's regular timeslot.

Edited by OwlChemist81

Update:

Adult Swim’s late-night line-up performed as follows:  BLADE RUNNER: BLACK LOTUS at 0.10, YASHAHIME at 0.08/0.08/0.07, NARUTO at 0.07, FENA at 0.07/113K, DR STONE steady at 0.06/102K, and DRAGON BALL up 0.01 to 0.06/115K.

I wouldn't be surprised if we don't see Dr. Stone back on the schedule to finish out its 3-peat run in 2022, but then again I guess it's doing about as well as anything would at 3 AM these days.

22 minutes ago, Sketch said:

Another meh turnout for Black Lotus. That Christmas Day marathon is all but certain to have episodes in the 5 digit club.

I legit wonder if the show was animated in the traditional anime style and had actual VA’s instead of screen actors, the show would be better received?

Many of the actors have very extensive resumes,  but something seems off with the performances 

Edited by brianycpht

9 hours ago, brianycpht said:

I legit wonder if the show was animated in the traditional anime style and had actual VA’s instead of screen actors, the show would be better received?

Many of the actors have very extensive resumes,  but something seems off with the performances 

I’ve said it before, the show had the really bad luck to premiere right as Arcane came out and essentially reinvented how 3D animation could look.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, this is nuts, but Yashahime's season finale actually beat Black Lotus, and in fact is currently the highest-rated Toonami show in 2022:

https://showbuzzdaily.com/articles/showbuzzdailys-saturday-1-1-2022-top-150-cable-originals-network-finals.html

But of course both shows only got 0.09 in 18-49 and under 200K, missing the top 50.

13 hours ago, Sketch said:

Well it was a recap so maybe that’s why.

It was well-done though. Indeed it was a recap, but one told through the eyes of another character, showing her side of the story, and ending with the difficult decision laid before her that she now must make.

It seems it was always designed to air on New Year's Day as an episode you could miss and not lose much of the story. It's a shame it only got 175K.

Toonami improved in Week 2 of 2022:

https://showbuzzdaily.com/articles/showbuzzdailys-saturday-1-8-2022-top-150-cable-originals-network-finals.html

Spoiler

2022-1-8-Sat-FinalCable-LSD.png

Oddly enough, Ass Class fell out of the Top 50 after Blade Runner checked in at #41, but the block rebounded with the latter 2/3 of the Shippuden-a-thon in the 2 AM hour. It should be noted that this is just 18-49, and the 12:30-2 AM time frame actually beat the 2 AM hour in total viewers. Nonetheless, perhaps Koro-Sensei would still be better off teaching in a later time slot?

THURSDAY UPDATE:

Well, it doesn't seem like that's the plan, as Made in Abyss premieres at the 1:30 AM timeslot beginning this weekend. And Cowboy Bebop did decently this time, staying above 100K, so it's no surprise the Bebop 3 AM hour takeover continues: "The Adult Swim line-up performed as follows:  BLADE RUNNER: BLACK LOTUS at 0.11, NARUTO at 0.10/0.10/0.09, ASSASSINATION CLASSROOM at 0.10/0.10, and COWBOY BEBOP at 0.09/158K & 0.08/128K."

And in case you were wondering, the surprise Smiling Friends premiere marathon on Sunday did well but perhaps not well enough to offset the royalties they paid for James Taylor in the promo: https://showbuzzdaily.com/articles/showbuzzdailys-sunday-1-9-2022-top-150-cable-originals-network-finals.html

Edited by OwlChemist81

Well, the ratings for 1/15/22 are in, and Made in Abyss did indeed escape the abyss and make the top 50, as Toonami actually did relatively well in 18-34, with only the last Shippuden buried under the Top 50:

https://showbuzzdaily.com/articles/showbuzzdailys-saturday-1-15-2022-top-150-cable-originals-network-finals.html

Spoiler

2022-1-15-Sat-FinalCable-LSD.png

As you can see, Blade Runner just barely missed the Top 25, but the most annoying thing is the whole lineup got beat in 18-49 by a damn trump rally. Oh well, at least it's not the days when LivePD ran the table, as NFL is rightfully king for the last time on a Saturday for about 6 months.

Oh, and unlike this point last week, we STILL don't know the damn 1/22/22 lineup. By this time a week ago, Made In Abyss had already been announced and the lineup released. Not so this week, as we continue to wait for news from Toonami while our DVR on-screen guides show a 4.5-hour American Dad... 🙄

Edited by OwlChemist81

The scheduling chaos is probably hurting, 4.5 hr American Dad blocks in guides/DVR is probably not helpful. The key demo numbers aren't terrible though, which is a positive sign. I still maintain that the key to Toonami going forward is to generate real-time and community engagements with on screen viewer content, similar to the old "watch party" type bumpers on LivePD.

• Thanks 1

If nothing else, they have new shows in timeslots that the viewers will turn out to, regardless of what the final schedule ends up being. And properly editing things so it's not one long episode of AD isn't that big a deal. Personally, I'm expecting another announcement today. If not... well, they can always stall.

• Confused 1

Well, it's another weekend with Saturday football games, and a UFC PPV to boot.  On the plus side, the block is really breaking out the fresh content (and Bebop, but Bebop is there to shit on Netflix Bebop so no complaints here) so it's putting the best foot forward to start the year.

I still maintain Peacemaker has a better opening than the new shows though -

So One Piece came back, but how did it do? Well...

https://showbuzzdaily.com/articles/showbuzzdailys-saturday-1-22-2022-top-150-cable-originals-network-finals.html

Spoiler

2022-1-22-Sat-FinalCable-LSD.png

Not too great, but at least it made the Top 50 with both episodes. Both episodes of Shippuden missed, at #57 and #78, but at least all 7 premieres stayed above 100K/0.05 18-49.

Of course in the larger picture, the big story was the NFL, doing gangbusters as always. It had an interesting effect on Toonami, making its relative 18-34 numbers look relatively good by comparison to the rest of cable even if they were absolutely worse than last week. It will be interesting to see what effect the end of Saturday NFL playoff games has next week!

I honestly don't know what the future for Toonami holds. I thought they were putting an incredible amount of stock into their originals last year, but if Shenmue gets relegated to 12:30, who the hell knows?

Perhaps in a year we'll be seeing new episodes of Dragon Ball Super plus 3-4 episodes of One Piece because Toei practically pays them to air that stuff?? 🤷🏻‍♂️ At least that way we'd get through OP even quicker!

Edited by OwlChemist81

Fena turned out a wet fart, and Black Lotus hasn't been inspiring confidence either (though I would at least say the latter's better). I can totally see Toonami's management getting cold feet and deciding they couldn't lead off with Shenmue. For one, it doesn't have the name recognition of their current world premiere.

By the way, I've been updating my spreadsheet of all Toonami ratings plus lists of goodies, etc., and when I made the schedule grid for the start of this year, I found out that it looks really cool:

iJGjvuB.png?1

So satisfying to watch the schedule take shape. My only nitpick is that shifting Made in Abyss to 1:00 for two episodes looks awkward. I wish they could've kept the AssClass double shot for two more weeks, just for consistency's sake, but I wouldn't be surprised if the contract didn't allow for it. Alternatively, they could've started MiA at 1:00 and kept up the Shippuden triple shot for a week, so the shift wouldn't be as jarring.

With two episodes to go, the best thing I can say about Blade Runner is that it hasn't actively insulted my intelligence... which, bizarrely, is also the worst thing I can say about it. Say what you will about Fena, but that show was memorable for all the wrong reasons. It's fascinating to look at from a trainwreck standpoint, from how thoroughly it squandered all that potential to its WTF ending. This one, on the other hand, is merely decent, and it hasn't resulted in much of a change in ratings.

On 1/28/2022 at 7:36 PM, Blatch said:

Fena turned out a wet fart, and Black Lotus hasn't been inspiring confidence either (though I would at least say the latter's better). I can totally see Toonami's management getting cold feet and deciding they couldn't lead off with Shenmue. For one, it doesn't have the name recognition of their current world premiere.

By the way, I've been updating my spreadsheet of all Toonami ratings plus lists of goodies, etc., and when I made the schedule grid for the start of this year, I found out that it looks really cool:

iJGjvuB.png?1

So satisfying to watch the schedule take shape. My only nitpick is that shifting Made in Abyss to 1:00 for two episodes looks awkward. I wish they could've kept the AssClass double shot for two more weeks, just for consistency's sake, but I wouldn't be surprised if the contract didn't allow for it. Alternatively, they could've started MiA at 1:00 and kept up the Shippuden triple shot for a week, so the shift wouldn't be as jarring.

Hey, that's actually pretty cool! Good work on that spreadsheet! Only thing is, do we really know for sure Attack on Titan is coming on February 12th? Not that I can see. I think it's a bit more likely that Blade Runner ends up in the 3 AM timeslot, jarring everything BACK up 30 minutes. This makes sense for 2 reasons:

1. Despite obvious differences in animation, Blade Runner and Bebop have some similar sensibilities. I think it's only natural they air reruns back-to-back for a while.

2. It makes that 45-second "shanty" from last week more durable. I wouldn't be surprised if we see it outside Toonami more often after this week's outlier lineup.

Now that's not to say that we might not end up seeing AOT on the block soon, but I'm going with it being an 11:30 PM expansion show later in February or perhaps even early March. However, these ratings don't really inspire much confidence in Toonami. I can sum this report up in 2 words: "DAMMIT, JANET!"

https://showbuzzdaily.com/articles/showbuzzdailys-saturday-1-29-2022-top-150-cable-originals-network-finals.html

Some kind of all-day Janet Jackson special on both A&E and Lifetime shut Toonami completely out of the Top 50 as Blade Runner checked in at #81 with 141K and a 0.05 in Adults 18-49 and it just got worse from there. Naruto Shippuden's final low power hour didn't even crack the top 150.

Toonami needs a heavy hitter as a lead-in now more than ever; could AOT do it? Maybe Shenmue has what it takes? Some sort of crossover event with AEW seems natural after Sasha Banks pimped Sailor Moon at the Royal Rumble. Hopefully Rampage at least airs a short-form promo this Friday night.

Edited by OwlChemist81

It's funny. I was talking to this 18 year-old who was shadowing my radio show not too long ago, they brought up Toonami and apparently nostalgia for AS Toonami actually exists (they were 9 when Toonami 2.0 started).

Then they said "Why did they get rid of it?" I was like "Uh... it's still on the air."

The streaming wars have made them believe Toonami's doesn't exist anymore, because as far as most people are concerned via their viewing habits, it doesn't.

Edited by MasqueradeOverture

5 hours ago, MasqueradeOverture said:

It's funny. I was talking to this 18 year-old who was shadowing my radio show not too long ago, they brought up Toonami and apparently nostalgia for AS Toonami actually exists (they were 9 when Toonami 2.0 started).

Then they said "Why did they get rid of it?" I was like "Uh... it's still on the air."

The streaming wars have made them believe Toonami's doesn't exist anymore, because as far as most people are concerned via their viewing habits, it doesn't.

There literally hasn’t been a week in nearly 10 years in which Toonami wasn’t airing between midnight and 3am on Saturday if not a bit earlier or later. So how can someone who was watching it not realize it’s still on? That’s just…  Did they forget what day it was airing on? I guess that’s easy enough to do if you lost interest at some point.

Man it’s real bad luck that One Piece returned just in time for Toonami to have a straight up abysmal night for Nielsen ratings. If it sticks around then clearly these numbers mean nothing anymore. It’s too soon to judge but it’s return might have actually turned off a decent sum of regular viewers. Like so much so that they avoided watching the other shows live. I suppose that’s at least about as likely as outside factors suddenly screwing over One Piece and the rest of this sub 0.06 18-49 lineup. Here’s hoping it’s a fluke. That Janet Jackson special and college football certainly could be factors.

Edited by Sketch

I think it's College Basketball. There will be all-star games, but that's all until August.

Janet Jackson's documentary was a fluke and all those don't deserve to be on there since they were reruns except for two. Same goes for the Giligan's Island marathon, obviously.

Here's hoping this was just a freakishly bad week for ratings and next week things improve back to 2022 baseline.

Edited by OwlChemist81

21 hours ago, OwlChemist81 said:

Hey, that's actually pretty cool! Good work on that spreadsheet! Only thing is, do we really know for sure Attack on Titan is coming on February 12th? Not that I can see. I think it's a bit more likely that Blade Runner ends up in the 3 AM timeslot, jarring everything BACK up 30 minutes. This makes sense for 2 reasons:

1. Despite obvious differences in animation, Blade Runner and Bebop have some similar sensibilities. I think it's only natural they air reruns back-to-back for a while.

2. It makes that 45-second "shanty" from last week more durable. I wouldn't be surprised if we see it outside Toonami more often after this week's outlier lineup.

Now that's not to say that we might not end up seeing AOT on the block soon, but I'm going with it being an 11:30 PM expansion show later in February or perhaps even early March. However, these ratings don't really inspire much confidence in Toonami. I can sum this report up in 2 words: "DAMMIT, JANET!"

https://showbuzzdaily.com/articles/showbuzzdailys-saturday-1-29-2022-top-150-cable-originals-network-finals.html

Some kind of all-day Janet Jackson special on both A&E and Lifetime shut Toonami completely out of the Top 50 as Blade Runner checked in at #81 with 141K and a 0.5 in Adults 18-49 and it just got worse from there. Naruto Shippuden's final low power hour didn't even crack the top 150.

Toonami needs a heavy hitter as a lead-in now more than ever; could AOT do it? Maybe Shenmue has what it takes? Some sort of crossover event with AEW seems natural after Sasha Banks pimped Sailor Moon at the Royal Rumble. Hopefully Rampage at least airs a short-form promo this Friday night.

i think they need more than just one heavy hitter...even if attack on titan is coming soon that's putting a lot of expectations on one show to salvage the block

10 hours ago, Sketch said:

There literally hasn’t been a week in nearly 10 years in which Toonami wasn’t airing between midnight and 3am on Saturday if not a bit earlier or later. So how can someone who was watching it not realize it’s still on? That’s just…  Did they forget what day it was airing on? I guess that’s easy enough to do if you lost interest at some point.

Man it’s real bad luck that One Piece returned just in time for Toonami to have a straight up abysmal night for Nielsen ratings. If it sticks around then clearly these numbers mean nothing anymore. It’s too soon to judge but it’s return might have actually turned off a decent sum of regular viewers. Like so much so that they avoided watching the other shows live. I suppose that’s at least about as likely as outside factors suddenly screwing over One Piece and the rest of this sub 0.06 18-49 lineup. Here’s hoping it’s a fluke. That Janet Jackson special and college football certainly could be factors.

I've constantly seen people online scoff at the idea of anyone still watching cable tv...so it wouldn't surprise me if lost interest is the reason some people think toonami's not around anymore

it's always "Why watch tv when you can stream it?" tv blocks and cable tv in general seem like something that only old folks are into

The Younger Crowd doesn't see the appeal it seems so outdated and pointless when they can watch anything anytime they want

I Like the discussions and interacting with the toonami crowd honestly so I'd hate if the block did become nothing more than Cheaper Older content with an original mixed in every so often

as it would confirm that toonami just can't afford to be current anymore and has to rely on shows of the past to keep going...

1 hour ago, CountFrylock said:

i think they need more than just one heavy hitter...even if attack on titan is coming soon that's putting a lot of expectations on one show to salvage the block

I've constantly seen people online scoff at the idea of anyone still watching cable tv...so it wouldn't surprise me if lost interest is the reason some people think toonami's not around anymore

it's always "Why watch tv when you can stream it?" tv blocks and cable tv in general seem like something that only old folks are into

The Younger Crowd doesn't see the appeal it seems so outdated and pointless when they can watch anything anytime they want

I Like the discussions and interacting with the toonami crowd honestly so I'd hate if the block did become nothing more than Cheaper Older content with an original mixed in every so often

as it would confirm that toonami just can't afford to be current anymore and has to rely on shows of the past to keep going...

I’m at the point where I’d like Toonami to offer the opposite of what’s “hot” this season. They are always going to be slightly behind even for the dub and those same shows are already being spammed on other services. It doesn’t really benefit them or the viewers

They should go for things that didn’t get that kind of attention already. Go for the title that came out a few seasons ago that didn’t hit that big in the fandom, not play Demon Slayer 6 months after everyone has already seen it. They seem to think the latter is always the better option and I don’t think it’s going to have the same effect as it would a few years ago.  It’s basically a rerun at that point.  However a show like MIA is sort of known but not at a level of popularity that literally everyone has scene it 

34 minutes ago, brianycpht said:

I’m at the point where I’d like Toonami to offer the opposite of what’s “hot” this season. They are always going to be slightly behind even for the dub and those same shows are already being spammed on other services. It doesn’t really benefit them or the viewers

They should go for things that didn’t get that kind of attention already. Go for the title that came out a few seasons ago that didn’t hit that big in the fandom, not play Demon Slayer 6 months after everyone has already seen it. They seem to think the latter is always the better option and I don’t think it’s going to have the same effect as it would a few years ago.  It’s basically a rerun at that point.  However a show like MIA is sort of known but not at a level of popularity that literally everyone has scene it 

while I'm not against that...i don't think leading off with a show from 5-10 years ago is gonna inspire much confidence

that's my issue with this theory of a older content focused block

if the only new stuff they have moving forward are the originals then that's not good because so far those originals haven't been all that great

fena started out fine but then turned into pure dog crap by the end and black lotus has just been meandering around aimlessly

toonami needs some heavy hitting content now more than ever and I'm just not so sure we're gonna get that if toonami's limited to cheaper older content moving forward

Edited by CountFrylock