UnevenEdge

Toonami Unevenedge Ratings Discussion 3.0: Let The Good Times Roll!!!!!

1 minute ago, Sketch said:

I think we're getting a bit hung up on the "nostalgia pick" comment though. I didn't necessarily take that as his game plan for replacing DBS. I heard it as two separate thoughts. He and Gill have some ideas for shows that could potentially replace DBS, that's one thought. The other thought is that no anime does as well in reruns as DBZ / Super, not even My Hero Academia, but maybe there's a show that can draw somewhere near that level and it might be another old favorite. That doesn't necessarily mean that a nostalgia pick should lead the block nor does it mean that's what he has in mind for when they collectively decide that DBS has outwore its welcome.

If I had to guess what he might want to try in the top slot...

Original series, the next season of Primal, a DC animated series if they could get one, the upcoming season of Bleach and maybe a hot anime they haven't aired before like Jujutsu Kaisen. And yeah he'd probably jump at the chance to air Sailor Moon if he could but I don't think he'd actually try Gundam Wing or G Gundam at midnight. Yu Yu Hakusho is a long commitment that they probably aren't sure would pan out.

If they can somehow time it to where their original projects air relatively close to each other with next seasons of Primal and maybe Ballmastrz premiering at midnight, they could potentially have the lead slot be dedicated to original series for a little bit

12 minutes ago, brianycpht said:

Yeah. If they like the show, fine. But I was saying that people who dislike the show (or anything on the block) shouldn’t feel the need live tweet it or make it trend just because it’s on the block. 

Basically was just trying to tell people who dislike it on the block to ignore it as opposed to being overly upset it’s still airing 

While I'm generally for the live and let live mentality and am very capable of ignoring Super when it's airing... I'm not so easily dissuaded to ignore how Super's continued presence short-changes every other show on the block, especially the ones after 1am. I can't simply "switch off" how much that irritates me, so I can understand others who feel the same. It's difficult to find the balance between maintaining verbal pressure against DBS reruns and not letting the negative feelings consume me. It undoubtedly affects my enjoyment of the block. I'm trying to be happy about Dr. Stone and My Hero Academia but it's not easy to ignore the Goku shaped elephant in the room whenever something neat joins the block.

Edited by Sketch

2 hours ago, brianycpht said:

Have you still been posting those? I thought you took a break

Plan is to livestream what I'll have finished by the end of the year (which by then will be up to the end of the Frieza Saga) on Twitch as a Christmas Eve marathon, then batch upload all that for release on one of my Google Drive accounts.

11 hours ago, CountFrylock said:

they have to realize toonami doesn't need dragon ball all the time....there's other stuff than just dragon ball

the audience who would still be drooling over dbs reruns probably don't care about any other anime and so they don't care about toonami

another thing....someone on the anime superhero/toon zone forums mentioned "Nostalgia is the only reason toonami was brought back" however that shouldn't mean nostalgia has to be what's powering toonami

A Weekly block filled with classic anime would seem neat at first but then You'd quickly lose interest

Then like they make these other weird decisions that contradict their previous guideline for scheduling. Putting a dub premiere at 2 in the morning?? After a dub that's 5 years old and can be watched on 5 different platforms anyway??

8 hours ago, brianycpht said:

I would just ignore Super and pretend Toonami starts at 12:30. I see a lot of the fanbase complaining about it, but still watching it, live tweeting it during the whole show, ect. It seems like collectively as a fanbase we don’t like this show airing on the block, yet there still seems to be this need hype up everything the block is airing. That’s a metric that contributes to it continuing to air. I can see the casual viewers do it, but a lot the same people who hate that it’s airing feel the need to actually promote its airing all the way through the show just because it’s on Toonami.

Everyone should just start saying “Watch Toonami, Saturday Nights from 12:30-4:00” 😂 

You know I have actually thought of doing that some weeks. But I just watch DB Super anyway because I always done that and I like sticking to a schedule, for a feeling of normalcy.

I don't hate on Super too much, and I am glad [as] still airs it SOMEwhere, but I also feel the lead slot on Toonami is wrong for it.

That said, even though these episodes are "3peats", a couple of weeks ago it was cool to finally see Episode 111 in smooth 2fps, when the first 2 times it aired on Toonami/[as] it was in really choppy 4fps! I'm actually GLAD that got to kick off Toonami, but do we really have to give up the lead slot for the rest of the series now?

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, OwlChemist81 said:

I don't hate on Super too much, and I am glad [as] still airs it SOMEwhere, but I also feel the lead slot on Toonami is wrong for it.

That said, even though these episodes are "3peats", a couple of weeks ago it was cool to finally see Episode 111 in smooth 2fps, when the first 2 times it aired on Toonami/[as] it was in really choppy 4fps! I'm actually GLAD that got to kick off Toonami, but do we really have to give up the lead slot for the rest of the series now?

I feel like this is a big transition year for AS. Losing FG means they have to restructure the whole schedule. They seem to be playing it safe by loading up on more American Dad and green lighting more half hour comedies that feel a little more “normal” than the bizarre things they have picked up in the past. 

It feels like they won’t move away from Dragonball because it’s the surest of sure things and it may be hanging around even after it reaches the end. I don’t think the originals have the “lead show” factor and I can see them insist Super air in front of those as well

11 hours ago, CountFrylock said:

i think dragon ball needs to stop being seen as this amazing franchise that can never be topped and is the only anime worth mentioning

Dragon ball super isn't anything special yet because it's dragon ball related you had people going nuts over it and acting like Ultra Instinct Goku was the hypest shit ever

but now we know how much of a chore  it was to watch the tournament of power and yet there are people still doing that for the reruns...

I Think Nostalgia made a lot of people believe Dragon ball super was better than it actually was

And tournament of power was the only good arc, lol.

It really is an awful show by any metric you judge it by. It exists purely for nostalgia the same way Boruto exists.

7 hours ago, elfie said:

I wonder if the day will ever come when Manning and her predecessors will realize Dragonball Super gets the best ratings BECAUSE they put it earlier in the day, not because it's Dragonball Super.

i don't think they ever will...they seem to believe it's because nothing else can compete with it

which is funny because really? you think Dub episodes of the newest MHA Season couldn't compete with 2 year old DBS Reruns?!

they want more eyes on toonami however reruns of something the audience has already seen isn't a good way to do that

9 hours ago, brianycpht said:

I feel like this is a big transition year for AS. Losing FG means they have to restructure the whole schedule. They seem to be playing it safe by loading up on more American Dad and green lighting more half hour comedies that feel a little more “normal” than the bizarre things they have picked up in the past. 

It feels like they won’t move away from Dragonball because it’s the surest of sure things and it may be hanging around even after it reaches the end. I don’t think the originals have the “lead show” factor and I can see them insist Super air in front of those as well

it only seems like the surefire thing because they refuse to give anything else a chance  they gave MHA S4 a chance and stood by it in the front position even when remote dubbing caused problems for it

yet now they think it's some low tier show that had it's chance and failed

7 hours ago, Daos said:

And tournament of power was the only good arc, lol.

It really is an awful show by any metric you judge it by. It exists purely for nostalgia the same way Boruto exists.

and we shouldn't have the lead slot taken up by DBS Reruns for nostalgia.....it worked last year when toonami couldn't find any new content and was desperate to air anything

but that isn't so much the case anymore...Dr Stone S2 and MHA S5 will soon arrive on the block

yet they insist it's not time to let go of DBS Reruns as the leader

10 hours ago, elfie said:

I wonder if the day will ever come when Manning and her predecessors will realize Dragonball Super gets the best ratings BECAUSE they put it earlier in the day, not because it's Dragonball Super.

Dragon Ball Super reruns aren’t drawing viewers just because they air first. People really will watch DBS reruns regardless of when it’s airing. It’s comfort food like Family Guy, having the two back to back is a pretty unbeatable combo. That’s what they don’t want to give up.

3 minutes ago, Sketch said:

Dragon Ball Super reruns aren’t drawing viewers just because they air first. People really will watch DBS reruns regardless of when it’s airing. It’s comfort food like Family Guy, having the two back to back is a pretty unbeatable combo. That’s what they don’t want to give up.

I’d wager to say in the current, “safer” direction the network seems to be taking in preparation of losing FG will make them even less likely to give Super up-even after it finishes. The impending loss for them in the fall will make them cling to every “safe” thing they can. That may be why they were willing to air MHA at front last year but not now. 

Looking at the upcoming schedule change for AS, it looks likely they’ll concentrate all the airings of Dad and Bob (maybe ditching encores) in the earlier hours just to stay competitive. Without FG it’s an uphill battle and they consider Super the “FG” of Toonami so I think it hangs around- even airing in front of their originals. They value stability over everything 

If MHA gains on Super regularly , I think they’ll have a harder time defending it. But they’ll stick to the “we see data you don’t” explanation lol 

2 minutes ago, elfie said:

We have no idea if that is true and the only way we CAN find out is if they DO run it in a timeslot that isn't midnight!

and we know they never will because they think DBS is unbeatable and nothing can do better than DBS(even Reruns)in that time slot

however if they never give anything else a chance  how the hell would we know that?

MHA S4 didn't sink the block when it was the lead show and toonami stuck by it even when they had to air reruns due to the pandemic

i keep saying this but I'll say it again

i could tolerate DBS Reruns upfront when toonami had no other options but that's not the case anymore

and if they insist on leaving it upfront until it's run concludes then they'll be left with no major show to lead the block

they can't just throw whatever into that time slot and expect it to work

unfortunately i think that's what they'll do

27 minutes ago, elfie said:

We have no idea if that is true and the only way we CAN find out is if they DO run it in a timeslot that isn't midnight!

We have marathon ratings to prove it as well as prime time ratings. They also gave it a whole hour on weeknights for a while so it clearly did fine there.

1 hour ago, Sketch said:

We have marathon ratings to prove it as well as prime time ratings. They also gave it a whole hour on weeknights for a while so it clearly did fine there.

That leads me to question why they wouldn’t use it as weeknight filler at some point too

1 hour ago, OwlChemist81 said:

I just watched 5 episodes of Yasha-Hime on Hulu, and all I can say now is Toonami's GOTTA get Yasha-hime!!!

I think they may have been offered it and turned it down due to Boruto not working.

I can’t see why it’s on multiple other platforms (meaning no exclusive deal) and Toonami not getting while it’s new. That’s the kind of thing you make room for since it’s a big title that’s a sequel to one of your mainstays. They may have it and are saving it for later, but I find the whole thing strange that they wouldn’t have jumped at the opportunity before given the relationship with Viz

Edited by brianycpht

4 minutes ago, brianycpht said:

That leads me to question why they wouldn’t use it as weeknight filler at some point too

My guess is the contract only allows for so many airings and they don’t want to blow through them when they have other options.

9 minutes ago, brianycpht said:

I think they may have been offered it and turned it down due to Boruto not working.

I can’t see why it’s on multiple other platforms (meaning no exclusive deal) and Toonami not getting while it’s new. That’s the kind of thing you make room for since it’s a big title that’s a sequel to one of your mainstays. They may have it and are saving it for later, but I find the whole thing strange that they wouldn’t have jumped at the opportunity before given the relationship with Viz

I have a theory that Naruto Shippuden on weekday mornings may be related somehow.

I decided to dig up some ratings from when MHA was the lead and compared them to the most recent ratings I could find that showed how well Family Guy did before DBS. Looking at these, it seems like DBS reruns hold Family Guy at least a tad better than MHA premieres. There are some weeks when DBS reruns came very close to Family Guy's ratings. We unfortunately have no idea how Family Guy has been doing lately and can only judge how Final Space premieres are doing compared to Super but I'd have to guess Family Guy isn't beating Super by more than about 100,000 viewers if even that. If they're not confident that MHA can hold those viewers as well as DBS does then it's a least somewhat understandable why they insist MHA isn't the right show to air directly after Family Guy.

December 7th 2019

Family Guy (repeat) (ADSM, 10:00 PM, 30 min.) • 0.692 million viewers (#43) • 0.43 HH (#46) • 0.32 A18-49 (#9) • 0.28 A18-34 (#7) • 0.34 A25-54 (#10) • 0.10 A55+ 

Family Guy (repeat) (ADSM, 10:30 PM, 30 min.) • 0.811 million viewers (#27) • 0.50 HH (#32) • 0.40 A18-49 (#4) • 0.31 A18-34 (#3) • 0.43 A25-54 (#7) • 0.11 A55+ 

My Hero Academia (Adult Swim, 11:00 PM, 30 min.) • 0.550 million viewers • 0.28 A18-49 • 0.27 A25-54 • 0.06 A55+ 

One-Punch Man (Adult Swim, 11:30 PM, 30 min.) • 0.453 million viewers • 0.22 A18-49 • 0.22 A25-54 • 0.07 A55+

Read more: https://programminginsider.com/saturday-final-ratings-sec-championship-caps-cbs-sports-best-college-football-season-average-viewership-since-1990/

June 13th 2020

Family Guy (repeat) (Adult Swim, 11:00 PM, 30 min.) • 0.659 million viewers [#112] • 0.419 million adults 18-49 • 0.32 A18-49 [#2] • 0.30 A25-54 [#26] • 0.10 A55+ [#595] 

Family Guy (repeat) (Adult Swim, 11:30 PM, 30 min.) • 0.608 million viewers [#137] • 0.407 million adults 18-49 • 0.31 A18-49 [#3] • 0.32 A25-54 [#16] • 0.08 A55+ [#655] 

My Hero Academia (repeat) (Adult Swim, 12:00 AM, 30 min.) • 0.451 million viewers [#248] • 0.295 million adults 18-49 • 0.23 A18-49 [#20] • 0.23 A25-54 [#78] • 0.05 A55+ [#787] 

Paranoia Agent (repeat) (Adult Swim, 12:30 AM, 30 min.) • 0.347 million viewers [#421] • 0.259 million adults 18-49 • 0.20 A18-49 [#43] • 0.19 A25-54 [#111] • 0.03 A55+ [#862]

Read more: https://programminginsider.com/saturday-final-ratings-nine-broadcast-networks-combine-for-just-11-million-viewers-in-prime-time/

June 20th 2020

Family Guy (repeat) (Adult Swim, 11:00 PM, 30 min.) • 0.696 million viewers [#107] • 0.433 million adults 18-49 • 0.33 A18-49 [#5] • 0.35 A25-54 [#15] • 0.12 A55+ [#571] 

Family Guy (repeat) (Adult Swim, 11:30 PM, 30 min.) • 0.713 million viewers [#100] • 0.472 million adults 18-49 • 0.36 A18-49 [#4] • 0.39 A25-54 [#11] • 0.10 A55+ [#623] 

My Hero Academia (Adult Swim, 12:00 AM, 30 min.) • 0.521 million viewers [#188] • 0.344 million adults 18-49 • 0.27 A18-49 [#15] • 0.27 A25-54 [#54] • 0.06 A55+ [#754] 

Paranoia Agent (repeat) (Adult Swim, 12:30 AM, 30 min.) • 0.359 million viewers [#371] • 0.246 million adults 18-49 • 0.19 A18-49 [#58] • 0.19 A25-54 [#109] • 0.04 A55+ [#801]

Read more: https://programminginsider.com/saturday-final-ratings-2019-feature-film-ford-v-ferrari-makes-hbo-network-premiere/

June 27th 2020

Family Guy (repeat) (Adult Swim, 11:00 PM, 30 min.) • 0.637 million viewers [#151] • 0.364 million adults 18-49 • 0.28 A18-49 [#5] • 0.30 A25-54 [#14] • 0.12 A55+ [#563] 

Family Guy (repeat) (Adult Swim, 11:30 PM, 30 min.) • 0.688 million viewers [#130] • 0.382 million adults 18-49 • 0.30 A18-49 [#4] • 0.33 A25-54 [#7] • 0.13 A55+ [#542] 

My Hero Academia (Adult Swim, 12:00 AM, 30 min.) • 0.499 million viewers [#229] • 0.289 million adults 18-49 • 0.22 A18-49 [#15] • 0.24 A25-54 [#53] • 0.08 A55+ [#670] 

Paranoia Agent (repeat) (Adult Swim, 12:30 AM, 30 min.) • 0.358 million viewers [#431] • 0.219 million adults 18-49 • 0.17 A18-49 [#66] • 0.18 A25-54 [#136] • 0.05 A55+ [#762]

Read more: https://programminginsider.com/saturday-final-ratings-tnt-wins-prime-time-among-adults-18-49-and-25-54-with-telecast-of-2018-feature-film-avengers-infinity-war/

October 3rd 2020

Family Guy (repeat) (Adult Swim, 11:00 PM, 30 min.) • 0.563 million viewers [#162] • 0.293 million adults 18-49 • 0.23 A18-49 [#32] • 0.28 A25-54 [#47] • 0.10 A55+ [#674] 

Family Guy (repeat) (Adult Swim, 11:30 PM, 30 min.) • 0.546 million viewers [#175] • 0.289 million adults 18-49 • 0.22 A18-49 [#33] • 0.25 A25-54 [#70] • 0.10 A55+ [#648] 

Dragon Ball Super (repeat) (Adult Swim, 12:00 AM, 30 min.) • 0.429 million viewers [#264] • 0.240 million adults 18-49 • 0.19 A18-49 [#62] • 0.20 A25-54 [#109] • 0.10 A55+ [#695] 

JoJo’s Bizarre Adventures: Golden Wind (Adult Swim, 12:30 AM, 30 min.) • 0.344 million viewers [#383] • 0.185 million adults 18-49 • 0.14 A18-49 [#113] • 0.15 A25-54 [#192] • 0.08 A55+ [#788]

Read more: https://programminginsider.com/saturday-final-ratings-snl-on-nbc-attracts-its-second-largest-season-premiere-audience-in-12-years/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter&utm_campaign=saturday-final-ratings-snl-on-nbc-attracts-its-second-largest-season-premiere-audience-in-12-years

October 10th 2020

Family Guy (repeat) (Adult Swim, 11:00 PM, 30 min.) • 0.420 million viewers [#282] • 0.232 million adults 18-49 • 0.18 A18-49 [#61] • 0.19 A25-54 [#115] • 0.09 A55+ [#754] 

Family Guy (repeat) (Adult Swim, 11:30 PM, 30 min.) • 0.508 million viewers [#193] • 0.298 million adults 18-49 • 0.23 A18-49 [#23] • 0.23 A25-54 [#74] • 0.10 A55+ [#738] 

Dragon Ball Super (repeat) (Adult Swim, 12:00 AM, 30 min.) • 0.381 million viewers [#335] • 0.234 million adults 18-49 • 0.18 A18-49 [#54] • 0.17 A25-54 [#138] • 0.07 A55+ [#883] 

JoJo’s Bizarre Adventures: Golden Wind (Adult Swim, 12:30 AM, 30 min.) • 0.327 million viewers [#444] • 0.222 million adults 18-49 • 0.17 A18-49 [#70] • 0.16 A25-54 [#165] • 0.03 A55+ [#1180]

Read more: https://programminginsider.com/saturday-final-ratings-saturday-night-live-on-nbc-leads-entertainment-telecasts-in-total-viewers-for-second-consecutive-week/

October 24th 2020

Family Guy (repeat) (Adult Swim, 11:00 PM, 30 min.) • 0.434 million viewers [#291] • 0.236 million adults 18-49 • 0.18 A18-49 [#72] • 0.19 A25-54 [#130] • 0.07 A55+ [#879] 

Family Guy (repeat) (Adult Swim, 11:30 PM, 30 min.) • 0.460 million viewers [#261] • 0.258 million adults 18-49 • 0.20 A18-49 [#43] • 0.19 A25-54 [#130] • 0.08 A55+ [#803] 

Dragon Ball Super (repeat) (Adult Swim, 12:00 AM, 30 min.) • 0.433 million viewers [#293] • 0.262 million adults 18-49 • 0.20 A18-49 [#39] • 0.18 A25-54 [#149] • 0.08 A55+ [#813] 

JoJo’s Bizarre Adventures: Golden Wind (Adult Swim, 12:30 AM, 30 min.) • 0.400 million viewers [#324] • 0.228 million adults 18-49 • 0.18 A18-49 [#85] • 0.17 A25-54 [#196] • 0.07 A55+ [#866]

Read more: https://programminginsider.com/saturday-final-ratings-snl-on-nbc-rises-from-recent-two-weeks-with-adele-as-host/

December 5th 2020

Family Guy (repeat) (Adult Swim, 11:00 PM, 30 min.) • 0.515 million viewers [#205] • 0.289 million adults 18-49 • 0.22 A18-49 [#31] • 0.25 A25-54 [#56] • 0.12 A55+ [#659] 

Family Guy (repeat) (Adult Swim, 11:30 PM, 30 min.) • 0.573 million viewers [#173] • 0.343 million adults 18-49 • 0.26 A18-49 [#20] • 0.30 A25-54 [#27] • 0.11 A55+ [#699] 

Dragon Ball Super (repeat) (Adult Swim, 12:00 AM, 30 min.) • 0.436 million viewers [#285] • 0.277 million adults 18-49 • 0.21 A18-49 [#37] • 0.21 A25-54 [#81] • 0.08 A55+ [#819] 

Sword Art Online: Alicization of the Underworld Part 2 (Adult Swim, 12:30 AM, 30 min.) • 0.301 million viewers [#508] • 0.187 million adults 18-49 • 0.14 A18-49 [#115] • 0.15 A25-54 [#200] • 0.07 A55+ [#919]

Read more: https://programminginsider.com/saturday-final-ratings-cbs-tops-prime-time-with-sec-college-football/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter&utm_campaign=saturday-final-ratings-cbs-tops-prime-time-with-sec-college-football

19 minutes ago, Sketch said:

I decided to dig up some ratings from when MHA was the lead and compared them to the most recent ratings I could find that showed how well Family Guy did before DBS. Looking at these, it seems like DBS reruns hold Family Guy at least a tad better than MHA premieres. There are some weeks when DBS reruns came very close to Family Guy's ratings. We unfortunately have no idea how Family Guy has been doing lately and can only judge how Final Space premieres are doing compared to Super but I'd have to guess Family Guy isn't beating Super by more than about 100,000 viewers if even that. If they're not confident that MHA can hold those viewers as well as DBS does then it's a least somewhat understandable why they insist MHA isn't the right show to air directly after Family Guy.

December 7th 2019

Family Guy (repeat) (ADSM, 10:00 PM, 30 min.) • 0.692 million viewers (#43) • 0.43 HH (#46) • 0.32 A18-49 (#9) • 0.28 A18-34 (#7) • 0.34 A25-54 (#10) • 0.10 A55+ 

Family Guy (repeat) (ADSM, 10:30 PM, 30 min.) • 0.811 million viewers (#27) • 0.50 HH (#32) • 0.40 A18-49 (#4) • 0.31 A18-34 (#3) • 0.43 A25-54 (#7) • 0.11 A55+ 

My Hero Academia (Adult Swim, 11:00 PM, 30 min.) • 0.550 million viewers • 0.28 A18-49 • 0.27 A25-54 • 0.06 A55+ 

One-Punch Man (Adult Swim, 11:30 PM, 30 min.) • 0.453 million viewers • 0.22 A18-49 • 0.22 A25-54 • 0.07 A55+

Read more: https://programminginsider.com/saturday-final-ratings-sec-championship-caps-cbs-sports-best-college-football-season-average-viewership-since-1990/

June 13th 2020

Family Guy (repeat) (Adult Swim, 11:00 PM, 30 min.) • 0.659 million viewers [#112] • 0.419 million adults 18-49 • 0.32 A18-49 [#2] • 0.30 A25-54 [#26] • 0.10 A55+ [#595] 

Family Guy (repeat) (Adult Swim, 11:30 PM, 30 min.) • 0.608 million viewers [#137] • 0.407 million adults 18-49 • 0.31 A18-49 [#3] • 0.32 A25-54 [#16] • 0.08 A55+ [#655] 

My Hero Academia (repeat) (Adult Swim, 12:00 AM, 30 min.) • 0.451 million viewers [#248] • 0.295 million adults 18-49 • 0.23 A18-49 [#20] • 0.23 A25-54 [#78] • 0.05 A55+ [#787] 

Paranoia Agent (repeat) (Adult Swim, 12:30 AM, 30 min.) • 0.347 million viewers [#421] • 0.259 million adults 18-49 • 0.20 A18-49 [#43] • 0.19 A25-54 [#111] • 0.03 A55+ [#862]

Read more: https://programminginsider.com/saturday-final-ratings-nine-broadcast-networks-combine-for-just-11-million-viewers-in-prime-time/

June 20th 2020

Family Guy (repeat) (Adult Swim, 11:00 PM, 30 min.) • 0.696 million viewers [#107] • 0.433 million adults 18-49 • 0.33 A18-49 [#5] • 0.35 A25-54 [#15] • 0.12 A55+ [#571] 

Family Guy (repeat) (Adult Swim, 11:30 PM, 30 min.) • 0.713 million viewers [#100] • 0.472 million adults 18-49 • 0.36 A18-49 [#4] • 0.39 A25-54 [#11] • 0.10 A55+ [#623] 

My Hero Academia (Adult Swim, 12:00 AM, 30 min.) • 0.521 million viewers [#188] • 0.344 million adults 18-49 • 0.27 A18-49 [#15] • 0.27 A25-54 [#54] • 0.06 A55+ [#754] 

Paranoia Agent (repeat) (Adult Swim, 12:30 AM, 30 min.) • 0.359 million viewers [#371] • 0.246 million adults 18-49 • 0.19 A18-49 [#58] • 0.19 A25-54 [#109] • 0.04 A55+ [#801]

Read more: https://programminginsider.com/saturday-final-ratings-2019-feature-film-ford-v-ferrari-makes-hbo-network-premiere/

June 27th 2020

Family Guy (repeat) (Adult Swim, 11:00 PM, 30 min.) • 0.637 million viewers [#151] • 0.364 million adults 18-49 • 0.28 A18-49 [#5] • 0.30 A25-54 [#14] • 0.12 A55+ [#563] 

Family Guy (repeat) (Adult Swim, 11:30 PM, 30 min.) • 0.688 million viewers [#130] • 0.382 million adults 18-49 • 0.30 A18-49 [#4] • 0.33 A25-54 [#7] • 0.13 A55+ [#542] 

My Hero Academia (Adult Swim, 12:00 AM, 30 min.) • 0.499 million viewers [#229] • 0.289 million adults 18-49 • 0.22 A18-49 [#15] • 0.24 A25-54 [#53] • 0.08 A55+ [#670] 

Paranoia Agent (repeat) (Adult Swim, 12:30 AM, 30 min.) • 0.358 million viewers [#431] • 0.219 million adults 18-49 • 0.17 A18-49 [#66] • 0.18 A25-54 [#136] • 0.05 A55+ [#762]

Read more: https://programminginsider.com/saturday-final-ratings-tnt-wins-prime-time-among-adults-18-49-and-25-54-with-telecast-of-2018-feature-film-avengers-infinity-war/

October 3rd 2020

Family Guy (repeat) (Adult Swim, 11:00 PM, 30 min.) • 0.563 million viewers [#162] • 0.293 million adults 18-49 • 0.23 A18-49 [#32] • 0.28 A25-54 [#47] • 0.10 A55+ [#674] 

Family Guy (repeat) (Adult Swim, 11:30 PM, 30 min.) • 0.546 million viewers [#175] • 0.289 million adults 18-49 • 0.22 A18-49 [#33] • 0.25 A25-54 [#70] • 0.10 A55+ [#648] 

Dragon Ball Super (repeat) (Adult Swim, 12:00 AM, 30 min.) • 0.429 million viewers [#264] • 0.240 million adults 18-49 • 0.19 A18-49 [#62] • 0.20 A25-54 [#109] • 0.10 A55+ [#695] 

JoJo’s Bizarre Adventures: Golden Wind (Adult Swim, 12:30 AM, 30 min.) • 0.344 million viewers [#383] • 0.185 million adults 18-49 • 0.14 A18-49 [#113] • 0.15 A25-54 [#192] • 0.08 A55+ [#788]

Read more: https://programminginsider.com/saturday-final-ratings-snl-on-nbc-attracts-its-second-largest-season-premiere-audience-in-12-years/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter&utm_campaign=saturday-final-ratings-snl-on-nbc-attracts-its-second-largest-season-premiere-audience-in-12-years

October 10th 2020

Family Guy (repeat) (Adult Swim, 11:00 PM, 30 min.) • 0.420 million viewers [#282] • 0.232 million adults 18-49 • 0.18 A18-49 [#61] • 0.19 A25-54 [#115] • 0.09 A55+ [#754] 

Family Guy (repeat) (Adult Swim, 11:30 PM, 30 min.) • 0.508 million viewers [#193] • 0.298 million adults 18-49 • 0.23 A18-49 [#23] • 0.23 A25-54 [#74] • 0.10 A55+ [#738] 

Dragon Ball Super (repeat) (Adult Swim, 12:00 AM, 30 min.) • 0.381 million viewers [#335] • 0.234 million adults 18-49 • 0.18 A18-49 [#54] • 0.17 A25-54 [#138] • 0.07 A55+ [#883] 

JoJo’s Bizarre Adventures: Golden Wind (Adult Swim, 12:30 AM, 30 min.) • 0.327 million viewers [#444] • 0.222 million adults 18-49 • 0.17 A18-49 [#70] • 0.16 A25-54 [#165] • 0.03 A55+ [#1180]

Read more: https://programminginsider.com/saturday-final-ratings-saturday-night-live-on-nbc-leads-entertainment-telecasts-in-total-viewers-for-second-consecutive-week/

October 24th 2020

Family Guy (repeat) (Adult Swim, 11:00 PM, 30 min.) • 0.434 million viewers [#291] • 0.236 million adults 18-49 • 0.18 A18-49 [#72] • 0.19 A25-54 [#130] • 0.07 A55+ [#879] 

Family Guy (repeat) (Adult Swim, 11:30 PM, 30 min.) • 0.460 million viewers [#261] • 0.258 million adults 18-49 • 0.20 A18-49 [#43] • 0.19 A25-54 [#130] • 0.08 A55+ [#803] 

Dragon Ball Super (repeat) (Adult Swim, 12:00 AM, 30 min.) • 0.433 million viewers [#293] • 0.262 million adults 18-49 • 0.20 A18-49 [#39] • 0.18 A25-54 [#149] • 0.08 A55+ [#813] 

JoJo’s Bizarre Adventures: Golden Wind (Adult Swim, 12:30 AM, 30 min.) • 0.400 million viewers [#324] • 0.228 million adults 18-49 • 0.18 A18-49 [#85] • 0.17 A25-54 [#196] • 0.07 A55+ [#866]

Read more: https://programminginsider.com/saturday-final-ratings-snl-on-nbc-rises-from-recent-two-weeks-with-adele-as-host/

December 5th 2020

Family Guy (repeat) (Adult Swim, 11:00 PM, 30 min.) • 0.515 million viewers [#205] • 0.289 million adults 18-49 • 0.22 A18-49 [#31] • 0.25 A25-54 [#56] • 0.12 A55+ [#659] 

Family Guy (repeat) (Adult Swim, 11:30 PM, 30 min.) • 0.573 million viewers [#173] • 0.343 million adults 18-49 • 0.26 A18-49 [#20] • 0.30 A25-54 [#27] • 0.11 A55+ [#699] 

Dragon Ball Super (repeat) (Adult Swim, 12:00 AM, 30 min.) • 0.436 million viewers [#285] • 0.277 million adults 18-49 • 0.21 A18-49 [#37] • 0.21 A25-54 [#81] • 0.08 A55+ [#819] 

Sword Art Online: Alicization of the Underworld Part 2 (Adult Swim, 12:30 AM, 30 min.) • 0.301 million viewers [#508] • 0.187 million adults 18-49 • 0.14 A18-49 [#115] • 0.15 A25-54 [#200] • 0.07 A55+ [#919]

Read more: https://programminginsider.com/saturday-final-ratings-cbs-tops-prime-time-with-sec-college-football/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter&utm_campaign=saturday-final-ratings-cbs-tops-prime-time-with-sec-college-football

I mean Family Guy And Toonami Shows typically have very little in common so no surprise there

I Suppose DB Super retains the same audience because You Can turn off your brain and never think at all for 22 minutes while watching it much like family guy

"Big Fists Go Boom Kaboom! Zap!"

everything else requires you to pay attention and think about what's going on

You Can't shut off your brain while watching attack on titan...attempts could be made but then You'd be missing the entire show

there are a lot of people who view television as something they shouldn't have to use brain power on and so they'll gravitate towards the shows that they can just play dumb...not miss anything and still enjoy it

unless toonami wants to load up the block with shows that are more visual eye candy with little to no story

They'll never win over that audience

It took some digging but I finally found Adult Swim’s current total viewer average. It’s sitting at 420 (lol) thousand viewers.

https://www.scribd.com/document/505334295/April-2021-Cable-Network-Ranker-Total-Viewers

The 2020 average was about 500k. Which was down 20% from 2019.

If the average is close to 400,000 now then Birdgirl and Final Space getting around 300,000 seem to be doing alright. And that also means DBS and Attack on Titan probably look pretty good right now as far as the network is concerned.

I definitely think MHA could pull in as many or more viewers as DBS reruns can but I don’t expect it could pull in significantly more. I still am willing to believe it can edge out DBS regularly but regardless of it being at 12am or 12:30, I don’t expect it to pull in 400k regularly.

• Confused 1

Demon Slayer beat Mortal Kombat at the box office this week and was also the highest grossing first weekend for a foreign language film.  That is unprecedented.

Was any of it thanks to Toonami?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Jman said:

Demon Slayer beat Mortal Kombat at the box office this week and was also the highest grossing first weekend for a foreign language film.  That is unprecedented.

For some people, maybe, but definitely not overall.

On 5/2/2021 at 1:56 PM, Jman said:

The ratio of people who went to see it ONLY because they saw the show on Toonami is likely very small. The biggest chunk would be from the simulcast and Netflix undoubtedly helped more than Toonami did.

We’ll see if Toonami can reap the benefits with a dub premiere of the next season. They didn’t really get attention from airing much less rerunning season one.

• Like 1

I wouldn't be so sure. With $21 million in its first weekend, and movie tickets averaging around $15, that means about 1.4 million saw the movie in its opening weekend, and that includes both subbed and dubbed showings. Assuming half of each, that translates to 700K going to the dubbed showings, and Demon Slayer peaked at 552K in the ratings on Toonami, just under 80% of that audience. So, it's not THAT far fetched that a large number of dubbed moviegoers first heard of or at least first saw the franchise on Toonami. After all, I'm definitely one of them!

The episode that directly led into the movie on 5/2/2020 scored a 398K in the ratings, so that would be over half, assuming they all went to see the movie. But that assumption is probably not exactly valid. Many of Toonami's viewers may be waiting for the digital release. The twist is, of course, that 398K isn't all of Toonami's viewers who had their eyes on Episode 26 prior to the opening weekend either. It's what is estimated through the Nielsen system, but beyond that is the [as] app on PC, iPhone, Android, and other streaming devices like Roku, PlayStation, and Sling. Also, the truth of the matter is that Demon Slayer WAS a dub premiere on Toonami, and even though it aired at stupid-o'-clock, it really is quite serendipitous that it just finished its second airing while the movie is still together.

All of this should combine to give Demon Slayer: Kimetsu no Yaiba Season 2 a MUCH better treatment on Toonami than Season 1. Season 1 kicked off at 1:30 AM and the 6th show on the lineup, but finished as the 2nd show at 12:30 AM. Nonetheless, it never had topical promos. I expect Season 2 to consistently take the 2nd slot if not the lead behind only a Toonami original, to air even earlier, perhaps at 11:30, and of course to have those topical promos, now that the movie has kicked unprecedented amounts of ass in theaters!

Edited by OwlChemist81

I thought tickets averaged closer to 10 dollars. And we’re counting the total gross in the US not just the first weekend. Easily 2 million tickets were sold by now. Probably 3 to 4 times the audience DS got on Toonami on average even counting DVR and on-demand.

It was top 10 on Netflix for a couple of weeks and that’s easily a million viewers.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Sketch said:

I thought tickets averaged closer to 10 dollars. And we’re counting the total gross in the US not just the first weekend. Easily 2 million tickets were sold by now. Probably 3 to 4 times the audience DS got on Toonami on average even counting DVR and on-demand.

It was top 10 on Netflix for a couple of weeks and that’s easily a million viewers.

I saw a video somewhere recently where people were talking to the downfall of CN and how kids aren’t into their shows anymore. One of the hosts talk about how kids are more into things like Demon Slayer. The literally weren’t aware the channel airs it. Granted it’s on AS late at night, but Toonami has the dub premiere of the biggest show right now and they aren’t a driver of its popularity compared to streaming services. 

Again, I saw so many people asking Funimation “why they haven’t dubbed it yet” since it wasn’t on their app dubbed at the time. So many were unaware of its Toonami airing. The networks advertising doesn’t really make it out of their own orbit. The decline of cable just adds to that 

Hopefully they get the dub premiere of 2 and they promote that!

Edited by brianycpht
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, brianycpht said:

I saw a video somewhere recently where people were talking to the downfall of CN and how kids aren’t into their shows anymore. One of the hosts talk about how kids are more into things like Demon Slayer. The literally weren’t aware the channel airs it. Granted it’s on AS late at night, but Toonami has the dub premiere of the biggest show right now and they aren’t a driver of its popularity compared to streaming services. 

Again, I saw so many people asking Funimation “why they haven’t dubbed it yet” since it wasn’t on their app dubbed at the time. So many were unaware of its Toonami airing. The networks advertising doesn’t really make it out of their own orbit. The decline of cable just adds to that 

Hopefully they get the dub premiere of 2 and they promote that!

Admittedly this is why I’m hoping against hope they just bypass Toonami completely and go right to Hulu and Netflix.  Strike while the iron is hot, because if it airs on Toonami under the Toonami exclusion clauses, it will cool.

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, brianycpht said:

I saw a video somewhere recently where people were talking to the downfall of CN and how kids aren’t into their shows anymore. One of the hosts talk about how kids are more into things like Demon Slayer. The literally weren’t aware the channel airs it.

PFFFFHAHAHAHAHAHA!

• Haha 2

Well, apparently Demon Slayer WAS able to get its dub on the streaming giants at some point. A nice compromise would be for the streaming giants to get to air the shows earlier, but for those shows to be loaded with Toonami promos, but that makes too much sense so I doubt we'll see that anytime soon!

Oh yeah, today was Tuesday, right? Been a really weird, rainy day.

http://www.showbuzzdaily.com/articles/showbuzzdailys-top-150-saturday-cable-originals-network-finals-5-1-2021.html

"On Adult Swim, the primetime FINAL SPACE dropped 0.03 to 0.13, and the late-night line-up performed as follows:  DRAGON BALL down 0.01 to 0.17/317K, ATTACK ON TITAN down 0.02 to 0.15, FOOD WARS down 0.02 to 0.13, PROMISED NEVERLAND down 0.01 to 0.12, FIRE FORCE down 0.02 to 0.11, BLACK CLOVER down 0.04 to 0.09, NARUTO down 0.01 to 0.10, and DEMON SLAYER down 0.02 to 0.08/167K."

image.thumb.png.3b96f04a21e9b858f0a3741051a08fca.png

Black Clover was the Black Sheep of the lineup, landing at #52. At any rate, considering Toonami lost a HUGE chunk of its potential audience in Xfinity's lower subscription tiers, this ain't too shabby!

• Like 2

At this point Toonami would be best served as a subsection of HBO Max.

A TV block is fine to fill up airspace, but your existence as a brand is irrelevant unless you AND whoever's dubbing the work simultaneously are like "HEY, STREAM THE DUB PREMIERE HERE."

Maybe use that as an incentive + "Stream every show we've ever aired uncut" using that AT&T money and boom... MODERNITY ェュヰ

• Like 1

3 hours ago, MasqueradeOverture said:

At this point Toonami would be best served as a subsection of HBO Max.

A TV block is fine to fill up airspace, but your existence as a brand is irrelevant unless you AND whoever's dubbing the work simultaneously are like "HEY, STREAM THE DUB PREMIERE HERE."

Maybe use that as an incentive + "Stream every show we've ever aired uncut" using that AT&T money and boom... MODERNITY ェュヰ

We’re at a point (and probably always have been) where they’ll say that one of the reasons the block continues to be profitable is because they only do the bear minimum of on network promotion and virtually no outside promotion. They are perfectly fine with Toonami just existing and not being any bigger than it is when it comes to acquisitions. The best we got is tweets from the VAs and the company itself. The fact that Toonami has no official Twitter account doesn’t help either.  But we never see ads on websites or YouTube. I guess they don’t care to spend to hype up something they don’t own and have unlimited use of. Meanwhile everyone asks “When’s Demon Slayer getting a dub on Netflix?”

the strategy for the originals will have to be vastly different. 

On 5/8/2021 at 11:11 PM, brianycpht said:

We’re at a point (and probably always have been) where they’ll say that one of the reasons the block continues to be profitable is because they only do the bear minimum of on network promotion and virtually no outside promotion. They are perfectly fine with Toonami just existing and not being any bigger than it is when it comes to acquisitions. The best we got is tweets from the VAs and the company itself. The fact that Toonami has no official Twitter account doesn’t help either.  But we never see ads on websites or YouTube. I guess they don’t care to spend to hype up something they don’t own and have unlimited use of. Meanwhile everyone asks “When’s Demon Slayer getting a dub on Netflix?”

the strategy for the originals will have to be vastly different. 

when it's 2021 and there exists people shocked that MHA's on adult swim you know the marketing's terrible...

as for VA Tweets i do enjoy when the VA's live tweet but most of them can't do that due to how late the block airs

that's why dallas reid(Asta Va) had to stop live tweeting black clover once the show started messing with his sleep schedule

i don't think any show on the block currently has A VA Live Tweeting...I Recall Fire Force S2 had Sarah Roach(Maki VA)live tweeting every week although since that's done now

there aren't any VA's actively promoting the block at this time

Edited by CountFrylock

Remember when I noticed that UFC Fight Nights seemed to be more devastating to Toonami than PPV Prelims? That pattern seems to have held true this week:

http://www.showbuzzdaily.com/articles/showbuzzdailys-top-150-saturday-cable-originals-network-finals-5-8-2021ratin.html

image.thumb.png.19e6608b0b7ad645e85cac2a62a65e4b.png

At least everything but Shippuden made the top 50. And Fire Force went out with kind of a blaze of glory as the top-ranking Toonami show in 18-49. But man, these numbers are pretty bad. If MHA can't do any better than this, Season 5 may stay stuck at 12:30, or worse once TPN or Dr. Stone Season 2 concludes. I could easily see Toonami move MHA down to 1 AM and sheepishly air a world premiere at 12:30 behind Dragon Ball Super at this point. At least it did remarkably decent in M12-34, even beating Final Space.

Edited by OwlChemist81

11 minutes ago, CountFrylock said:

I Can See Toonami Looking at this and saying "See! Nobody Watches MHA on TV! they'd rather stream it...It Would have tanked the block if we let it lead"

Got to see how Super did to see if that also did lower than usual 

I think that hyped Elon Musk SNL may have diverted some attention away 

1 minute ago, brianycpht said:

Got to see how Super did to see if that also did lower than usual 

I think that hyped Elon Musk SNL may have diverted some attention away 

and i think that hype was kind of stupid as we saw how terrible elon musk was As A Comedian...it was like throwing in a robot who doesn't understand basic comedy and jokes

It went slightly better than Trump hosting because Musk can at least make fun of himself.

So between Musk, the UFC, and a Canelo Alvarez boxing match, it was a tough night for Toonami.  The block simply isn’t appointment television anymore the way sports and live programming are.

1 hour ago, Jman said:

It went slightly better than Trump hosting because Musk can at least make fun of himself.

So between Musk, the UFC, and a Canelo Alvarez boxing match, it was a tough night for Toonami.  The block simply isn’t appointment television anymore the way sports and live programming are.

Demarco And Company won't see it that way....they'll look at this as A Sign of Something like MHA failing and maybe needing to be demoted

"On Adult Swim, the primetime FINAL SPACE was steady at 0.13, and the late-night line-up performed as follows:  DRAGON BALL down 0.08 to 0.09/243K, MY HERO ACADEMIA at 0.08, FOOD WARS down 0.04 to 0.09, PROMISED NEVERLAND down 0.04 to 0.08, FIRE FORCE down 0.02 to 0.09, BLACK CLOVER down 0.01 to 0.08, NARUTO down 0.03 to 0.07, and ATTACK ON TITAN (in a later slot) down 0.09 to 0.06/111K."

Final Space beat Toonami. Ouch. Also, note that Super stayed put and went down almost as much as AOT in 18-49, which was demoted 3 hours. Not a very good week.

And I don't think we even wanna know how Naruto Shippuden is doing at 5 AM weeknights!

Edited by OwlChemist81
  • Like 1

It's actually a close race between that and the Halloween Promised Neverland marathon. This was probably worse because that marathon's midnight hour got 260K and 217K. This past weekend got 243K and 211K in the midnight hour.

I haven't yet put together a spreadsheet crunching the numbers for 2021, believe it or not, but I probably will soon.

• Like 1

So Many people were expecting MHA S5 to Outdo DBS Rerun Numbers but it's clear that's not gonna happen now...

it's even clearer that it's not gonna come anywhere close to S4 numbers

this is probably the last show for the year with any kind of mainstream appeal and to see it fail so hard on the first episode of season 5 is disappointing

Edited by CountFrylock