UnevenEdge

Toonami Unevenedge Ratings Discussion 3.0: Let The Good Times Roll!!!!!

32 minutes ago, Blatch said:

I don't know. Could be that people think there's value in rewatching it. Or there could be lots of folks like me who haven't seen it, and anything that Toonami touches should turn to gold, right? Also...

Because it's good.

I mean, this is objectively the best original Toonami has aired since the final season of Samurai Jack. Not to knock anything that came out in the interim, but if you look at the shows on a case-by-case basis: the FLCL sequels had promise but turned out to be either mediocre or unfitting for the franchise, ditto on the former point for Fena (at least it looked great), Blade Runner was part of a valuable franchise but might have been a strike against it (maybe people didn't want to learn the lore?) and it had downright desultory pacing, and for as fun as Shenmue was, being tied to an obscure video game franchise didn't do it any favors. If nothing else, Primal has a neat concept, is a rare example of adult-oriented animation that doesn't trade in crude humor, and has megaton talent behind it in the form of Genndy.

But by all means, feel free to ignore all of that and say that you just don't know. We've done this dance several times before. 🤧

so in other words it appears that the solution to toonami's problems are reruns of good shows that they haven't aired in quite sometime or they've only aired on adultswim but not toonami proper

maybe that's what should lead the block moving forward since Toonami Originals haven't exactly been the most exciting thing on the block and I'm not too sure if Yashahime S2 or Food Wars S5 would be a good lead show

Edited by CountFrylock

Primal is holding Rick & Morty better than Shenmue and Black Lotus most likely because it’s freaking good and not actually overplayed compared to most AS originals. It’s been off the air for a year and a half before it recently returned. Had it been airing regularly since 2020 then it probably would not be finding as many eyeballs right now. It really makes me wonder how well season 2 premieres could do on Toonami. The Saturday Rick & Morty episode seems to be just as good of a lead in as the Sunday one right now, so why not? If they try to premiere it at 10 or 10:30 on Sunday then it probably won’t do much better than the reruns are doing on Toonami.

41 minutes ago, Sketch said:

Primal is holding Rick & Morty better than Shenmue and Black Lotus most likely because it’s freaking good and not actually overplayed compared to most AS originals. It’s been off the air for a year and a half before it recently returned. Had it been airing regularly since 2020 then it probably would not be finding as many eyeballs right now. It really makes me wonder how well season 2 premieres could do on Toonami. The Saturday Rick & Morty episode seems to be just as good of a lead in as the Sunday one right now, so why not? If they try to premiere it at 10 or 10:30 on Sunday then it probably won’t do much better than the reruns are doing on Toonami.

do you think any rerun fitting that same criteria would be doing as well as primal reruns(A Good Show that's been off tv for a year or more)or not?

1 hour ago, CountFrylock said:

do you think any rerun fitting that same criteria would be doing as well as primal reruns(A Good Show that's been off tv for a year or more)or not?

Probably not just any good rerun that hasn’t aired in a while. But there’s really no other options Adult Swim can provide for Toonami after Primal’s good will is spent.

Even though it hasn’t been aired regularly in a while, I don’t think Samurai Jack season 5 would fair nearly as well.

Though I’d appreciate the balls it would take to rerun Space Dandy at the top of the block, that would probably flop.

I do wonder how Harley Quinn or Young Justice would do in that position.

My expectation is that midnight will be covered by Primal season 1, Primal season 2 (as an encore at least), Uzumaki and Housing Complex C for the rest of the year.

1 hour ago, Sketch said:

Probably not just any good rerun that hasn’t aired in a while. But there’s really no other options Adult Swim can provide for Toonami after Primal’s good will is spent.

Even though it hasn’t been aired regularly in a while, I don’t think Samurai Jack season 5 would fair nearly as well.

Though I’d appreciate the balls it would take to rerun Space Dandy at the top of the block, that would probably flop.

I do wonder how Harley Quinn or Young Justice would do in that position.

My expectation is that midnight will be covered by Primal season 1, Primal season 2 (as an encore at least), Uzumaki and Housing Complex C for the rest of the year.

i haven't bothered thinking about harley quin or young justice on the block because i know WB would never allow that to happen....they acknowledge toonami when they need something to be promoted and then they go back to not giving them anything

with the door closed on crunchyroll titles   DC Titles being available only for special purposes and sentai's status being unknown due to the amc buy-out

that doesn't leave them with many options to fill the block moving forward

there's only so many originals they can pump out in a year and solely relying on viz wouldn't get them anywhere

How about THIS to kick off the month of June?

https://showbuzzdaily.com/articles/showbuzzdailys-saturday-6-4-2022-top-150-cable-originals-network-finals.html

Spoiler

2022-6-4-Sat-FinalCable-LSD.png

Ass Class's Penultimate Episode cracked the Top 10! The late Koro-Sensei may have been riding Fang's compact T-Rex tail in his final days, but either way, whomever sneaks into that 12:30 slot the week after next has some pretty big octopus tentacle shoes to fill!!

Lupin and One Piece cracked the Top 20 and all premiere shows at least made the Top 50! Wonder when either of those happened last? One thing's for sure: post-originals Toonami is on a surprising roll early this summer!

Edited by OwlChemist81
  • Like 2

For those who wondered, PRIMAL made the Top 200 Reruns with Episode 3:

http://www.ratingsryan.com/2022/06/top-200-cable-reruns-week-ending-may-29.html?m=1

And as for Episode 4:

"The Adult Swim line-up performed as follows:  PRIMAL up 0.03 to 0.17/348K, ASSASSINATION CLASSROOM up 0.01 to 0.13, LUPIN THE 3RD steady at 0.11, ONE PIECE at 0.11/0.09 compared to last week’s 0.11/0.10, NARUTO steady at 0.08, SHENMUE steady at 0.08/168K, and ATTACK ON TITAN steady at 0.07.138K."

Biggest Toonami rating of the year so far, unless I'm mistaken!

Edited by OwlChemist81

1 hour ago, OwlChemist81 said:

For those who wondered, PRIMAL made the Top 200 Reruns with Episode 3:

http://www.ratingsryan.com/2022/06/top-200-cable-reruns-week-ending-may-29.html?m=1

And as for Episode 4:

"The Adult Swim line-up performed as follows:  PRIMAL up 0.03 to 0.17/348K, ASSASSINATION CLASSROOM up 0.01 to 0.13, LUPIN THE 3RD steady at 0.11, ONE PIECE at 0.11/0.09 compared to last week’s 0.11/0.10, NARUTO steady at 0.08, SHENMUE steady at 0.08/168K, and ATTACK ON TITAN steady at 0.07.138K."

Biggest Toonami rating of the year so far, unless I'm mistaken!

Primal is on fire! It was most likely another very good week for Saturday comedy, particularly Rick & Morty and the 11pm American Dad.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Ass Class just barely misses the 300K+ Club with its epilogous final episode:

https://showbuzzdaily.com/articles/showbuzzdailys-saturday-6-11-2022-top-150-cable-originals-network-finals.html

Spoiler

2022-6-11-Sat-FinalCable-LSD.png

Unfortunately, Lupin fell HARD after that, and then One Piece recovered but not by much. Only Shippuden missed the Top 50, checking in at #52 with 163K viewers and a 0.07 in Adults 18-49.

Edited by OwlChemist81

"The Adult Swim line-up performed as follows:  PRIMAL steady at 0.17/355K, ASSASSINATION CLASSROOM steady at 0.13, LUPIN THE 3RD down 0.03 to 0.08, ONE PIECE at 0.09/0.08 compared to last week’s 0.11/0.09, NARUTO down a tick to 0.07, SHENMUE down 0.03 to 0.05/116K, and ATTACK ON TITAN down 0.04 to 0.03/104K."

PRIMAL took a tiny step up, cracking 350K, and Ass Class followed suit but everything else dropped off quite a bit. At least AOT stayed over 100K.

6 hours ago, OwlChemist81 said:

Ass Class just barely misses the 300K+ Club with its epilogous final episode... Unfortunately, Lupin fell HARD after that, and then One Piece recovered but not by much. Only Shippuden missed the Top 50, checking in at #52 with 163K viewers and a 0.07 in Adults 18-49.

So that's what happens when I put off first priority Ass Class to Monday instead of Sunday... Neat.

[fun fact: I still have yet to watch last week's Shippuden]

• Sad 1

Unfortunately, it looks like the second half of PRIMAL Season 1 may not do as well on Toonami as the first...

https://showbuzzdaily.com/articles/showbuzzdailys-saturday-6-18-2022-top-150-cable-originals-network-finals.html

Spoiler

2022-6-18-Sat-FinalCable-LSD.png

Despite being absolute gold, that Lupin episode just couldn't match up to its predecessor Ass Class as viewership in that timeslot dropped by approximately half. And while One Piece missed the Top 50, it also managed to stay over 100K, but Shippuden did not, though the 2nd episode rebounded a bit. It will be interesting to see if the 3 AM hour continued that trend and managed a 6-figure viewership.

However, we still don't know yet if PRIMAL also had a weak night, and we'll find out later!

Edited by OwlChemist81
  • Like 1

Well folks, PRIMAL did indeed have a weak night, and BOY did it EVER:

"The Adult Swim line-up performed as follows:  PRIMAL down 0.07 to 0.10/183K, LUPIN THE 3RD down 0.01 to 0.07, ONE PIECE at 0.05/0.05 compared to last week’s 0.09/0.08, NARUTO at 0.04/0.04 compared to last week’s 0.07, SHENMUE down 0.01 to 0.04/90K, and ATTACK ON TITAN up 0.02 to 0.05/89K."

I wonder what the hell happened? Was there some kind of weird "Juneteenth" lead-in?

Also, at this point, the block "freshness" is as follows:

Genndy Tartakovsky's PRIMAL - 2020 rerun
Lupin The 3rd, Part 6 - 2021
One Piece x2 - 2012
Naruto Shippuden x2 - 2014

Shenmue - 2022 rerun
Attack On Titan - 2022 rerun

Well, it is what it is. I think we're almost at the point where Lupin effectively becomes a 2022 show so there's that.

Edited by OwlChemist81

14 hours ago, OwlChemist81 said:

I wonder what the hell happened? Was there some kind of weird "Juneteenth" lead-in?

There could've been, the frontdoor schedule on [as]'s site has been frozen for over a week now so we'd have no way of knowing without having actually watched it.

Edited by PokeNirvash
  • Confused 1

According to Swimpedia, it was just a normal Saturday for Toonami's lead-in:

8:00/5:00 King of the Hill: Life: A Loser's Manual

8:30/5:30 King of the Hill: Dia-bill-ic Shock

9:00/4:00 Futurama: Decision 3012

9:30/4:30 Futurama: The Thief of Baghead

10:00 American Dad!: Haylias

10:30 American Dad!: The 42-Year-Old Virgin

11:00 American Dad!: Surro-Gate

11:30 Rick and Morty: Gotron Jerrysis Rickvangelion

12:00 Genndy Tartakovsky's Primal: Scent of Prey

https://sites.google.com/site/swimpediaiscoming/adult-swim-schedules/2022

It's weird--it's like the effect of losing Family Guy last year, but the only thing we actually lost was Ass Class!

I guess we'll have to see if this was just a "bad night" or if this trend continues...

Edited by OwlChemist81

16 hours ago, OwlChemist81 said:

According to Swimpedia, it was just a normal Saturday for Toonami's lead-in:

8:00/5:00 King of the Hill: Life: A Loser's Manual

8:30/5:30 King of the Hill: Dia-bill-ic Shock

9:00/4:00 Futurama: Decision 3012

9:30/4:30 Futurama: The Thief of Baghead

10:00 American Dad!: Haylias

10:30 American Dad!: The 42-Year-Old Virgin

11:00 American Dad!: Surro-Gate

11:30 Rick and Morty: Gotron Jerrysis Rickvangelion

12:00 Genndy Tartakovsky's Primal: Scent of Prey

https://sites.google.com/site/swimpediaiscoming/adult-swim-schedules/2022

It's weird--it's like the effect of losing Family Guy last year, but the only thing we actually lost was Ass Class!

I guess we'll have to see if this was just a "bad night" or if this trend continues...

So it was the normal shows, the question is how did they do? I'm guessing Rick & Morty got less than 0.15 though I couldn't tell you why.

If AC was the reason why Primal did so well then at the very least it was evident that AC didn't pair so well with Titan but maybe being the 2nd show on the block was enough to get more people watching the classroom? One night of data won't say one way or another by itself.

• Thanks 1

I originally posted a link here to Swimpedia's schedule archive, but I see Al beat me to the punch on it. So I guess I'll come up with a different reply. Hmm...

[as] didn't do anything major for Juneteenth (outside of a Lazor Wulf marathon, but those happen every week), but they did air special bumps that explain the holiday a bit, plus a few that prefaced special shorts from Black creators. Check it all out:

One factoid the video doesn't mention is that the Union general who told the slaves in Texas they were free shares a first name with me. 😯

Edited by Blatch

On 6/22/2022 at 11:27 PM, Daos said:

I stayed for a rerun of Primal that I've already seen then bounced. No one's gonna stay for this lineup, sorry fellas.

sad but true...right now Lupin is the freshest thing on the block

and while i enjoy lupin i realize that it's not everyone's cup of tea

it's certainly not something that will keep the average american tuning in week after week by itself

Primal did better this week, but Annie's Encino Woman act bombed in AOT:

"The Adult Swim line-up performed as follows:  PRIMAL up 0.02 to 0.12/264K, LUPIN THE 3RD up 0.02 to 0.09, ONE PIECE at 0.08/0.06 compared to last week’s 0.05/0.05, NARUTO at 0.05/0.05 compared to last week’s 0.04/0.04, SHENMUE steady at 0.04/103K, and ATTACK ON TITAN down 0.01 to 0.04/74K."

13 hours ago, OwlChemist81 said:

June 25th's PRIMAL (0.12 18-49) just barely missed the week's reruns Top 200:

http://www.ratingsryan.com/2022/07/top-200-cable-reruns-week-ending-june.html?m=1

July 2nd? Maybe we'll know next week, because ShowBuzzDaily didn't even include them in its update. It would be a real trip if an episode of Shenmue made it, too!

Okay so American Dad got 0.16 and Rick & Morty got 0.15 that night so the numbers for the 11pm hour  are a bit softer than most prior weeks and Primal still held R&M decently.

Perhaps the recent decline isn’t just due to AC leaving and Lupin being a much weaker draw after Primal. Either that or AC was somehow also lifting the comedies before Toonami in ways Shenmue and Titan failed to do.

3 minutes ago, OwlChemist81 said:

Interesting data from the Ratings Ryan Reruns Top 200 last week (June 27th thru July 3rd): several Saturday shows made it, but no TOONAMI shows were among them.

http://www.ratingsryan.com/2022/07/top-200-cable-reruns-week-ending-july-3.html?m=1

Can’t say this is too surprising given the large scale holding pattern.  Hopefully the new Primals and Yashahime reverse the trend.

For those keeping score at home, a show had to get at least 0.13 to make the list.

Unfortunately, despite making the Top 50 premieres, this week's premiere shows wouldn't have made it either if they were reruns:

Spoiler

2022-7-9-Sat-FinalCable-LSD.png

https://showbuzzdaily.com/articles/showbuzzdailys-saturday-7-9-2022-top-150-cable-originals-network-finals.html

At least the block did relatively well in 18-34!

Edited by OwlChemist81

3 hours ago, OwlChemist81 said:

Interesting data from the Ratings Ryan Reruns Top 200 last week (June 27th thru July 3rd): several Saturday shows made it, but no TOONAMI shows were among them.

http://www.ratingsryan.com/2022/07/top-200-cable-reruns-week-ending-july-3.html?m=1

Saturday Rick & Morty missed the list as well so you can’t really expect Primal to get on there much less Shenmue. American Dad had a pretty good July 2nd but not the other comedies. The performance of KOTH and Futurama both before and after Toonami makes a typical night of Toonami look pretty good by comparison. Though maybe the holiday weekend hurt those as well and they possibly do better on regular Saturdays? We might never know.

Looking at this Saturdays and Sundays ratings, Lupin beat Birdgirl in some demos and totals and Tuca & Bertie barely missed the top 50 on Sunday and lost to One Piece in 18-49 and totals. The 2nd Tuca & Bertie was in Shippuden’s range. I feel bad for T&B because I thought they were good episodes. Hopefully it did/does well on HBO Max to make up for it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Primal did pretty damn beastly!

"On Adult Swim, PRIMAL climbed 0.06 to 0.15/287K, and the rest of the line-up returned from an off-week as follows:  LUPIN THE 3RD up 0.01 to 0.10, ONE PIECE at 0.09/0.08 compared to 0.08/0.06, NARUTO at 0.08/0.07 compared to 0.05/0.05, SHENMUE up 0.01 to 0.05/102K, and ATTACK ON TITAN up 0.02 to 0.06/115K."

It had a couple of weeks at 0.17 when Toonami showcased Episodes 4 and 5, but this is better than almost everything else Toonami has aired in 2022 has done.

It's pretty clear, however, that the campy, jazzy capers of Lupin are a bit of a rough transition from the frenetic graphic brutality of PRIMAL. Yashahime seems like it will be even more of a mismatch, but I guess we'll see...

It will be interesting to see what happens when Live PD returns to Reelz next Saturday. It was a beast when it was on A&E, so it is likely to remain such on Reelz.

I'm not sure when it will stop airing, but an immediate rerun might be a real problem for Toonami.

It's now called "On Patrol: Live"

It looks like it is indeed 9 to midnight Friday and Saturday nights.

But I don't get it with my cable package, so I could care less about it. I doubt it will be the instant ratings chart-topper Live PD was.

And on a personal note, looking through their schedule, I find them about 25% music documentaries and 75% disgusting hellhole of copaganda.

I'll pass.

Edited by OwlChemist81

PRIMAL made it in Week 9:

http://www.ratingsryan.com/2022/07/top-200-cable-reruns-week-ending-july.html?m=1

And then, THIS happened after PRIMAL last week.

https://showbuzzdaily.com/articles/showbuzzdailys-saturday-7-16-2022-top-150-cable-originals-network-finals.html

Spoiler

2022-7-16-Sat-FinalCable-LSD.png

Lupin checks in at #15 in its last week at 12:30 AM, but it still did pretty bad. At least it didn't get much worse for most of the other premieres.

Edited by OwlChemist81

Season 1 of PRIMAL on Toonami was doing really well this year, but almost surprisingly, reruns of Season 2 on Toonami ended up not doing it any favors:

https://showbuzzdaily.com/articles/showbuzzdailys-saturday-7-23-2022-top-150-cable-originals-network-finals.html

Spoiler

2022-7-23-Sat-FinalCable-LSD.png

The asinine decision to air PRIMAL premieres on Thursday nights has ended up hurting both them and Toonami. Genndy may be a masterpiece maker in terms of content, but he epically fails at sound programming. Would Samurai Jack Season 5 have done even better if it premiered on a weeknight instead of during Toonami? This pretty much proves it wouldn't.

LMAO at One Piece beating Lupin!

We’ll have to see how the comedies did that night but they seem to have made a critical error having Primal on Thursday night and encoring on Toonami a few days later. They should have done one or the other because it seems like they have effectively divided their audience with a bit of overlap for people who watched both. Mind you there’s also the viewers who watched it on HBO Max so its at least 3 slices for the potential viewership.

Official: Toonami PRIMAL beat Thursday premiere PRIMAL!

"On Adult Swim, the line-up performed as follows:  PRIMAL at 0.08/234K & 0.07/190K compared to last week’s 0.10/223K, LUPIN THE 3RD down 0.02 to 0.07, ONE PIECE at 0.07/0.07 compared to last week’s 0.07/0.06, NARUTO at 0.05 compared to last week’s 0.06/0.05, SHENMUE steady at 0.04/103K, and ATTACK ON TITAN down 0.01 to 0.02/66K."

In other news, Good God, AOT!!