UnevenEdge

Toonami Unevenedge Ratings Discussion 3.0: Let The Good Times Roll!!!!!

50 minutes ago, Ginguy said:

Get wo

Yeah, you know the rest.

Trallin aside, the lack of a lead to generate a substantial casual audience is probably a big factor. Sporting events are also a seasonal drag on ratings. I doubt Toonami is in much immediate danger, considering the money spent on original programming, they have to at least try to recoup that investment, and streaming alone won't do that.

I’m sure CR is happy on their end, they aren’t running a linear channel.  Although we have no idea how Fena is doing for CR, do we?

Next week we see our first look at the other two shows from the very short lived partnership Toonami had with Crunchyroll, Blade Runner Black Lotus (which given the franchise I have no idea how people will react) and Shenmue (which  I fully expect to have a dub so bad you could replace it with 22 minutes of drowning cats, and Shenmue fans will refuse to have it any other way).  So at least we have something to look forward to.

2 hours ago, OwlChemist81 said:

Yeah, but they don't have to air an hour of overrated Rick & Morty right before. They COULD try American Dad instead!

Final Space at 9, R&M at 10, and AD at 11 would make more sense!

OR, lose the R&M and air an hour of Dragon Ball Super at 11 and see how that does? At least Fena only has 4 episodes left in this season. And then we get Blade Runner, most likely.

Also, there might be a silver lining to this dark cloud: it's almost CERTAIN to go up this week!

This perplexes me. Rick and Morty is not only their latest mega-hit Adult Swim has had, but unlike Family Guy, it's original to them! Which means they profit off of the programming even more!  ..... why would this result in none of the Toonami shows placing in the top 50 on their list?!??

• Like 1

On 9/29/2021 at 9:16 AM, elfie said:

Simple.

They aren't airing Family Guy anymore.

why does the casual audience need to be tricked into watching toonami?

if they have to be tricked into watching it then that means they had no interest in the block whatsoever without being lured them by family guy

nothing toonami can really do if the casual audience thinks it's shows are Too weird And Japanese for them

I Don't take Nielsen Ratings as seriously as some people due to  how the system works and how small of a sample size it is....

that sample size audience only stuck around because they were too lazy to change the channel and now without family guy to lure them onto audltswim

they aren't watching it on saturday nights anymore

Edited by CountFrylock
  • Sad 1
  • D'oh 2

4 minutes ago, PokeNirvash said:

My god you're such a depressing asshole.

how am i an asshole?

it's true there's nothing toonami can do if the casual audience needed to be lured onto the block by family guy starting ahead of it

if someone has to be tricked into watching something then don't be surprised when they don't care once the bait you have isn't enticing them to tune into adultswim at all on saturday nights

Edited by CountFrylock
  • D'oh 2

7 minutes ago, PokeNirvash said:

By saying shit like this and not expecting us to give you the upside-down heart reaction, that's how!

again what's wrong with what i said? if the casual audience has to be tricked into watching toonami then its clear it's a battle that toonami was never gonna win

anyone who disagrees has not been paying attention.....old ass family guy reruns you could find elsewhere disappearing from adultswim shouldn't tank toonami this badly

but it is and that just proves that the casual audience couldn't care less about toonami without something like family guy getting them to tune into adultswim beforehand

Edited by CountFrylock
  • D'oh 2

48 minutes ago, MasqueradeOverture said:

Frylock acting like Adult Swim is the DuMont network.

Which it kinda is.

Let's dump all the Toonami hard drives into the East River #EndToonami LETS GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!11!!!1!!1!!

The DuMont network?  That’s a deep cut.  So does that make old Toonami the AWA?

1 hour ago, Jman said:

The DuMont network?  That’s a deep cut.  So does that make old Toonami the AWA?

Technically the NWA if lumping both Toonamis. AWA is Animondays.

Speaking of, I actually tried to trademark DuMont myself since the rights were dead for about 2 years, but it looks like someone got to it already in June, so there goes that.

• Haha 1

On 9/30/2021 at 5:03 PM, CountFrylock said:

again what's wrong with what i said? if the casual audience has to be tricked into watching toonami then its clear it's a battle that toonami was never gonna win

anyone who disagrees has not been paying attention.....old ass family guy reruns you could find elsewhere disappearing from adultswim shouldn't tank toonami this badly

but it is and that just proves that the casual audience couldn't care less about toonami without something like family guy getting them to tune into adultswim beforehand

You're a buttmunch.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, OwlChemist81 said:

You're a buttmunch.

All joking aside. I think it’s a large problem of Adult Swims than just Toonami

i think most likely every night of the week has lost the Family Guy audience. FXX had an increase almost the same as Adult Swims decrease last week. People will just flip to wherever it is 

You have to take into account that the w tire network relies on Family Guy to boost viewership. Nothing is going to touch that

Rick’s nice but it’s not the same level of casual friendly that Family Guy is 

• Thanks 2

2 hours ago, brianycpht said:

All joking aside. I think it’s a large problem of Adult Swims than just Toonami

i think most likely every night of the week has lost the Family Guy audience. FXX had an increase almost the same as Adult Swims decrease last week. People will just flip to wherever it is 

You have to take into account that the w tire network relies on Family Guy to boost viewership. Nothing is going to touch that

Rick’s nice but it’s not the same level of casual friendly that Family Guy is 

why is the casual audience so turned off by anything that isn't family guy? that's the better question....

it not being on adultswim shouldn't mean "Welp I'm never tuning into adultswim ever again"....but for them it did

5 hours ago, MasqueradeOverture said:

Because they don't care about AS. They never gave a shit about AS. That audience just wanted Family Guy, that's it.

Leaked ratings into Toonami is just a byproduct of some of those people leaving the TV on in the background on the same channel while they did something else (like fuck).

which is why nobody should be thinking "how can toonami/adultswim get that casual audience back?!"

if they only came because due to reruns of family guy they could watch elsewhere....then there's not much adultswim could have done

Edited by CountFrylock

I really think a decent solution for Saturday's ratings woes would be to throw on a DC animated film every week around 10pm. There's about 40 of those things now so they could avoid repeating one for a long time. But that comes down to WarnerMedia throwing Adult Swim a bone. Maybe they'll be open to that without Family Guy to fall back on.

On the other hand, Toonami has lasted this long by being self-sufficient enough to keep around so perhaps working with this lower ceiling will pan out because Adult Swim doesn't have to keep renewing a very expensive licenses for 20th Television cartoons.

Regardless of how those ratings look, I'm pretty confident that Toonami will continue to broadcast on Adult Swim for several more years. Plenty of other cable networks stay on the air with lower viewership than that. My one hope is that rather than curling up into the fetal position after losing Family Guy and running out of long running anime to rely on, that they will use the lower expectations as a reason to try new things. They have a steady stream of original series coming and if they pair that with a solid mix of new and old anime then they can build a really great block. I have no expectation that doing that will greatly improve their traditional ratings but it should suffice to keep them on the air.

• Thanks 3

And in the first Saturday in October, things markedly improved:

https://showbuzzdaily.com/articles/showbuzzdailys-saturday-10-2-2021-top-150-cable-originals-network-finals.html

Spoiler

2021-10-2-Sat-FinalCable-LSD.png

Fena and MHA both re-enter the Top 50, and most other shows improve, but Yashahime ends up bringing up the rear amongst premieres, which means its ANN reviewer may know what he's talking about all along.

Black Clover also got a nice boost this week, leading-in to its hour-long Finale next week that Toonami couldn't even be bothered to make a promo for.

Edited by OwlChemist81
  • Confused 1

Updated.

"Adult Swim’s line-up performed as follows: FENA: PIRATE PRINCESS up 0.02 to 0.10, MY HERO ACADEMIA steady at 0.08, YASHAHIME down 0.01 to 0.06, FOOD WARS steady at 0.07, BLACK CLOVER up 0.01 to 0.07, NARUTO up 0.01 to 0.07, DR STONE up 0.02 to 0.06/138K, and DRAGON BALL up 0.02 to 0.05/149K."

Everything ticked up slightly or held steady except poor Yashahime.

Hopefully Season 2 will actually be good as it premieres in Japan while the back half of Season 1 airs on Toonami. More Moroha, plz!

• Like 1

Yashahime is so inconsistent. Last week it sucked; this week it was the #2 Toonami show (beating MHA) and actually pulled over 200K, even besting Fena in some key female demographics:

https://showbuzzdaily.com/articles/showbuzzdailys-saturday-10-9-2021-top-150-cable-originals-network-finals.html

Spoiler

2021-10-9-Sat-FinalCable-LSD.png

Also interesting is this time the girls actually seemed to watch Toonami while the boys were watching a tsunami of sports. Though of course these numbers are still feeble, the F12-34 demographic outpaced the M12-34 by a 37%-50% margin. This post-Family Guy era Toonami seems to be running on girl power!

All numbers were fairly consistent across all demographics for the first 4 shows, then fell over a cliff for the Black Clover anti-magic hour.

Edited by OwlChemist81
  • Like 1

Updated:

"Adult Swim’s line-up performed as follows:  FENA: PIRATE PRINCESS was steady at 0.10, MY HERO ACADEMIA up 0.02 to 0.10, YASHAHIME up 0.04 to 0.10, FOOD WARS up 0.02 to 0.09, BLACK CLOVER at 0.07/0.06 compared to last week’s 0.07, NARUTO up 0.01 to 0.07, DR STONE down 0.02 to 0.04/119K, and DRAGON BALL down 0.01 to 0.04/102K."

Yashahime by far the greatest gainer, and nothing under 100K. I'll take that as a win, but I'll bet Batman movies get 400K-500K+ next week!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, PokeNirvash said:

I feel like this happens every time I watch the block live.

Oh well, at least it was an enjoyable night, and that's all that matters.

Yeah I feel that. Always disappointing when I actually watch a whole Toonami block and feel like it was a great experience and then I see that it did about as well or usual or worse than usual.

• Thanks 1

Watching the block live is nothing special for me, although I did watch more than just Fena this time. Sadly, I've found that my recent tendency to rewind the video to be able to fully hear and understand every line in the film isn't gonna fly for a long movie like this. When did I get like this, anyway? It's another example of my lowered standards that need to change. 😕

But anyway, low ratings. Nothing new.

I do that all the time with DVR and anime I watch on my own time. (Such is life as a content ratings autist.) The only time I had to rewind was to check the credits for whatever rap group did the castle mecha combining insert song - no dice - and all I missed was the Long Halloween promo, which I caught online anyways.

Well, it happened. We FINALLY had a Toonami block that was all network premiere animation released in the current calendar year (2021)!

That said, the ratings probably could have been better:

https://showbuzzdaily.com/articles/showbuzzdailys-saturday-10-23-2021-top-150-cable-originals-network-finals.html

Spoiler

2021-10-23-Sat-FinalCable-LSD.png

Batman: The Long Halloween Part 1 landed at #54 with 206K and a 0.08 in Adults 18-49. That's a bit better than Batman Ninja did last week in total viewers but worse in Adults 18-49. Still, it didn't receive as much of a windfall from Fena's penultimate episode as Long Halloween did from the finale.

As for Long Halloween Part 2, who knows? It doesn't even appear in the Top 150, but it's difficult to imagine it doing much worse than Part 1 since it followed it. More likely than not, it just accidentally wasn't considered a network premiere for some reason like Black Clover was treated last year. Hopefully we'll find out how it did later today!

Also, if you look at the spoiler tag, you'll notice that this time the 12-34 Female category outrated the 12-34 Male category by almost 2:1. For whatever reason, ladies have been somewhat fickle with Fena. And unfortunately since the Bat missed the Top 50, I guess we'll never know if this girl power carried over to Catwoman's somewhat surprising heroine-ism in The Long Halloween.

Edited by OwlChemist81
  • Confused 1

Flashback to other Batman events on Toonami:

https://showbuzzdaily.com/articles/showbuzzdailys-top-150-saturday-cable-originals-network-finals-8-15-2020.html

Batman Year One with 512K and #2 18-49, while Dark Knight Returns Part 1 got 433K and #4 18-49.

https://showbuzzdaily.com/articles/showbuzzdailys-top-150-saturday-cable-originals-network-finals-8-22-2020.html

The next week, Batman movies again  made the Top 10, with Gotham Knight taking the lead with 525K and #6 18-49.

Edited by OwlChemist81
  • Like 1

Well, folks, I'm not expecting anything for Halloween weekend since we saw absolutely NOTHING new on Toonami save for that weird music video which aired at 3 AM, but we DO finally have a number for Batman: The Long Halloween, Part 2:

0.06/144K at 2:30am

So there you have it. It clearly was disqualified accidentally for some reason (perhaps they thought it was a repeat of Part 1, as cable stations are sometimes wont to repeat movies in back-to-back timeslots on the same night). Had it been classified correctly, it would have landed between #66 and #76.

Edited by OwlChemist81

18 hours ago, OwlChemist81 said:

I don't think it was THAT video, but it probably SHOULD have been!

Would have fit right in with Iron Maiden the other week.

Does anyone have a video of what they did air if it wasn’t Ozzy and Motörhead?

Sorry, but no. It was more like "ambient" stuff, but the animation was pretty cool.

Well, ratings for 11/6 are in, and they just solidify my belief that MHA should have had the Midnight slot all along:

https://showbuzzdaily.com/articles/showbuzzdailys-saturday-11-6-2021-top-150-cable-originals-network-finals.html

Spoiler

2021-11-6-Sat-FinalCable-LSD.png

ALL 5 eligible Toonami shows made the Top 50! Just think of how things would have been if MHA had led off the Batman movie nights instead of Fena, which instead would have taken a 2-week break before either a marathon of it or MHA and then allowed to end last week with a double premiere leading into Yashahime? The wall-to-wall Superhero nights probably would have done much better, especially with Long Halloween on October 16th instead with a full night of supervillain origin stories.

But all that's water under the bridge, as aside from its 2:30 AM rerun slot Fena is in the rearview mirror and we turn with promise toward a one-hour premiere of Blade Runner: Black Lotus, which hopefully will deliver big numbers for Toonami for itself as well as perhaps even finally pulling Yashahime over 300K?

On that note, Blade Runner: Black Lotus's "Making of" special actually DID land on the Top 150 (in a 15-minute timeslot that was about half commercials) at #78 with a modest 0.07 18-49 and 124K total viewers. But that was at 3 AM following 90 minutes of reruns, so cut it some slack! The actual show should do much better at Midnight this week!

Edited by OwlChemist81
  • Like 1

Update:

"The Adult Swim late-night line-up returned with MY HERO ACADEMIA at 0.15/0.14, YASHAHIME at 0.11, NARUTO at 0.10, FOOD WARS at 0.10, FENA at 0.08/164K, DR STONE at 0.07/143K, and DRAGON BALL at 0.06/135K."

Also, note that the 5 Top 50 shows actually tended to do rather well with female audiences in the absence of a new episode of Fena. The first episode of MHA basically tied the Nick shows in Female 18-49.

Blade Runner: Black Lotus is here, but it's no MHA. All timeslots appear to have dropped slightly, but at least once again all regular-length premieres made the Top 50:

https://showbuzzdaily.com/articles/showbuzzdailys-saturday-11-13-2021-top-150-cable-originals-network-finals.html

Spoiler

2021-11-13-Sat-FinalCable-LSD.png

Interestingly enough, the female 12-34 audience stayed pretty strong throughout the block, after Black Lotus arguably captured a top 10 slot for that demographic at Midnight.

At this point, it doesn't seem like there's much Toonami can do to expand its audience beyond the 2-3 stadiums-full of people who watch every week, but then again, we'll see what the Friday takeover lineup will do soon enough!

Found this interesting:

http://www.ratingsryan.com/2021/11/top-200-cable-reruns-week-ending_15.html?m=1

Looks like the Rick & Morty episode which aired before MHA on 11/6 was actually the highest-rated Adult Swim rerun of the week! Even in post-Family Guy [as], it's clear to see that's Toonami's value!

Back to last week..

"On Adult Swim, BLADE RUNNER: BLACK LOTUS was at 0.12/0.11, and the rest of the line-up was as follows:  YASHAHIME steady at 0.11, NARUTO up 0.01 to 0.11, FOOD WARS steady at 0.10, FENA up 0.02 to 0.10/168K, DR STONE up 0.02 to 0.09/149K, and DRAGON BALL up 0.02 to 0.08/130K."

Surprisingly quite stable!

Edited by OwlChemist81
  • Like 1

It was the highest rated rerun on Adult Swim for the 18-49 demographic anyway, there were some episodes of R&M and American Dad that did better in total viewers.

Thanks for finding that chart, it's quite interesting. Only 39 reruns the entire week topped 0.20 with 18-49, only 11 topped 0.29 and only 1 topped 0.37 proving Yellowstone as an outlier at 0.60 18-49. There is no doubt that cable television is struggling beyond news programs and some live sports.

The best rated reruns on Adult Swim in the 10-12am time frame aren't even hitting 400,000 anymore, that's just yikes. It does however make Toonami look decent by comparison. Despite those low numbers Adult Swim still got 20 reruns into the top 200 so that's 10%. They were all Rick & Morty and American Dad episodes, oddly not a Bob's Burgers in sight. Bob must be having a hard time in the 9pm hour but it did well in the 8pm hour on Sunday on FXX.

The Big Bang Theory is decimating Adult Swim in total viewers but is just a bit above the best Rick & Morty episodes with 18-49. The best rated Family Guy episodes on FXX and Freeform are around 0.15 18-49 and Bob's Burgers managed to beat Family Guy on FXX with a 0.16 on a Sunday at 8pm.

• Like 1

The double-shot of Yashahime didn't do Toonami any favors:

https://showbuzzdaily.com/articles/showbuzzdailys-saturday-11-20-2021-top-150-cable-originals-network-finals.html

#52 and #54 respectively, with a 0.9 in 18-49 and much fewer than 200K viewers each. And of course the rest of Toonami just went downhill from there.

At least Blade Runner: Black Lotus made the list at #40 with a respectable 226K and 0.11 in adults 18-49.

Edited by OwlChemist81

"On Adult Swim, BLADE RUNNER: BLACK LOTUS was at 0.11 compared to last week’s 0.12/0.11, and the rest of the line-up was as follows:  YASHAHIME at 0.09/0.09 compared to last week’s 0.11, NARUTO down 0.04 to 0.07, FOOD WARS down 0.02 to 0.08, FENA down 0.04 to 0.06/105K, DR STONE down 0.03 to 0.06/99K, and DRAGON BALL down 0.02 to 0.07/129K."

Think of this as "before". This week's Toonami Saturday lineup (kinda crazy that I have to disambiguate, huh!?) will be exactly the same. The difference is in the lead-in: last week had 2x Naruto Shippuden; 2x American Dad; and 2x Rick & Morty. This week, that will be 2x King of the Hill and 4x American Dad. We'll see if that gives a boost to Toonami on College Football Rivalry Week!

• Like 1

Black Friday was pretty much a bust for Toonami:

https://showbuzzdaily.com/articles/showbuzzdailys-friday-11-26-2021-top-150-cable-originals-network-finals.html

Nothing in the top 50. Black Out 2022 checked in at #66 with 199K viewers and 0.09 in 18-49. Blade Runner 2049 even missed the Top 100: unlucky #108 with 142K and a 0.06 in 18-49. It should be noted, however, that was from 11:15 PM-3 AM so it's kind of on a par with how Toonami and other Friday night marathons have been doing lately, but 11 PM and Midnight hour numbers are typically quite a bit higher. 

Edited by OwlChemist81

Given the length of the time slot, Blade Runner 2049 probably piqued around 0.09 maybe even 0.10 but dropped half those viewers by the end. Kind of wonder if it would have done better on Saturday. I get the feeling the Black Lotus marathon on Friday December 10th will sink to five digits by the end.

We'll see how The Hills and the Smiths boost Black Lotus on Saturday but it's still a holiday weekend so we'll see.

• Like 1