UnevenEdge

Toonami Unevenedge Ratings Discussion 3.0: Let The Good Times Roll!!!!!

• 2 weeks later...
9 hours ago, OwlChemist81 said:

https://www.spoilertv.com/2021/07/tv-ratings-for-saturday-24th-july-2021.html?m=1

The Olympic effect sent MHA tumbling from #4 all the way down to #17, but it still managed over 300K and a 0.14.

.... oh right it didn't click in my brain that the Olympics would be going on at the same time as All Of Saturday/Sunday.

Edited by elfie

12 minutes ago, OwlChemist81 said:

Strangely enough, it seems like it will be a one-off, unless it ends up part of the Sunday lineup or something.

I think The Suicide Squad is going to be the last DC movie out for a while.

I’m pretty sure we’re going to see this or some animated movies air again when The Batman comes out though.

https://www.spoilertv.com/2021/08/tv-ratings-for-saturday-31st-july-2021.html

Another strong performance against the Olympics! MHA took over the midnight hour and so did 300K+ total viewers. This now makes SEVEN episodes in a row that MHA has scored 300K or higher, and thus Season 5 has turned out to be a moderate success. It's too bad YashaHime couldn't keep up that momentum though. Six episodes out now and NONE of them cracked 300K.

I have REALLY high hopes for August on Toonami. Harley Quinn will probably do well, and Fena/MHA combo will rule the midnight hour after that. After a July which saw peak ratings on the Better Cartoon Show soar past a lackluster May and June, hopefully it will keep up the momentum!

• Like 3

Well, we don't know all the ratings from the Harley Quinn marathon, because somehow only the first episode actually counted as a "cable original" (despite airing on Syfy last May), but the block DID still contain something that has outshined all of Season 5 of MHA:

https://www.spoilertv.com/2021/08/tv-ratings-for-saturday-7th-august-2021.html

...That Poppy music video for Flux that I STILL Haven't seen! It was watched by 403K and got a 0.16 in Adults 18-49. MHA Season 5 still hasn't cracked 400K, but it has done better in Adults 18-49.

This week here comes Fena: Pirate Princess, and here's hoping this promising Toonami/Crunchyroll original can capitalize on its considerable hype!

• Confused 1

Well, we're back in business gang!

https://showbuzzdaily.com/articles/showbuzzdailys-top-150-saturday-cable-originals-network-finals-8-14-2021.html

2021-Aug-14-SAT-FinalCable.png

So yeah, ouch for the Fena freefall... Should've stuck to one episode and maintained a normal schedule. Also Yasha is missing...but don't worry, already asked Mitch ;)

Edited by wjbraden
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 1

The ratings from this week are in, but first, a look back at last week's (8/14-8/15) lineup;

Adult Swim’s line-up performed as follows (we’ll begin having week-to-week comparisons with the Monday ratings this afternoon):  FENA: PIRATE PRINCESS at 0.20 & 0.14, MY HERO ACADEMIA at 0.14, YASHAHIME at 0.07/146K, BLACK CLOVER at 0.06, NARUTO at 0.06, ATTACK ON TITAN at 0.08/152K, and DRAGON BALL [SUPER] at 0.08/160K. 

https://showbuzzdaily.com/articles/showbuzzdailys-top-150-saturday-cable-originals-network-finals-8-21-2021.html

Spoiler

2021-8-21-Sat-FinalCable-LSD.png

Fena's 3rd episode checks in at #16, though it did drop a lot from Episode 1 last week, and only it and MHA made the Top 50, but at least the other premieres improved.

Edited by OwlChemist81
  • Like 1

Fena done REAL GOOD:

https://showbuzzdaily.com/articles/showbuzzdailys-top-150-saturday-cable-originals-network-finals-8-28-2021.html

Spoiler

2021-8-28-Sat-FinalCable-LSD.png

"Adult Swim’s line-up performed as follows :  FENA: PIRATE PRINCESS up 0.06 to 0.22, MY HERO ACADEMIA up 0.07 to 0.19, YASHAHIME up 0.05 to 0.15, FOOD WARS up 0.03 to 0.13, BLACK CLOVER up 0.02 to 0.12, NARUTO at 0.10, ATTACK ON TITAN up 0.01 to 0.08/137K, and DRAGON BALL [SUPER] up 0.01 to 0.09/182K. "

That plucky Pirate Princess managed to capture over 400K total viewers, as well as 2nd place in both Adults 18-34 and FEMALES 12-34! Could "girl power" be returning to Toonami? Just makes you wonder what COULD have been if Yasha-Hime were allowed to directly follow Fena...

Edited by OwlChemist81
  • Thanks 1

An interesting but probably pointless comparison: both the Rachel Maddow show and Yashahime got 0.15 in 18-49 on Friday at 9 PM and Saturday at 1 AM, respectively. Rather impressive when a rather niche anime show manages to tie a progressive news juggernaut!

Also, Rachel was #25. Yashahime was #22!

Edited by OwlChemist81
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, OwlChemist81 said:

An interesting but probably pointless comparison: both the Rachel Maddow show and Yashahime got 0.15 in 18-49 on Friday at 9 PM and Saturday at 1 AM, respectively. Rather impressive when a rather niche anime show manages to tie a progressive news juggernaut!

Also, Rachel was #25. Yashahime was #22!

What you didn't see the Rachel Maddow/YashaHime crossover?!?! :D

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, PokeNirvash said:

You don't even need to ask that question to know that my answer is yes.

That's like asking Owl if he enjoyed something. 

So far I'm getting Casshern Sins vibes. An anime where the concept is there, the visuals are there... but it's never able to get going at more than a snails pace.

I know they sunk a lot of money into this, but it definitely doesn't need to be the lead show.

• Sad 1

I'll admit I was just a little underwhelmed at Episode 4, but 3 was FIRE!!!

Hopefully 5 can recapture the magic of the season premiere and the action of the follow-up and even beat 4 as the current ratings leader!

Though with College Football beginning in earnest this weekend, that might be a tall order. Perhaps that makes Toonami's recent female flair through shows like Fena and Yashahime plus random episodes of MHA timely?

Edited by OwlChemist81

6 minutes ago, Daos said:

I know they sunk a lot of money into this, but it definitely doesn't need to be the lead show.

If MHA's last few episodes of Season 5 can somehow get 11:30 when Dragon Ball Super ends (and 3:30 goes back to Boondocks or Gemusetto or whatever), I do believe that would benefit all 3 shows, especially if Yashahime gets to take its place at 12:30 and a new show premieres at 1 AM.

Not too shabby...

https://showbuzzdaily.com/articles/showbuzzdailys-saturday-9-4-2021-top-150-cable-originals-network-finals.html

Spoiler

2021-9-4-Sat-FinalCable-LSD.png

Fena and MHA both Top 10 and over 300K! All shows made the Top 25, and Shippuden just barely landed outside the Top 20.

What's interesting is both Fena and MHA had strong female viewership, equal to or greater than the Male viewership in both key demos 18-49 and 12-34, but then Yashahime LOST them, despite being a show ABOUT GIRLS! Maybe it won't be the shoujo heroine I thought it would be--unless Toonami gets in on the ground floor for the dub of Season 2. If they do, it would ostensibly be the first time since the original InuYasha in 2006 that [as] has aired dub premieres of the InuYasha franchise. And maybe if they don't have to wait 6 months for the dub of Season 2, the ladies will stick around for it in 2022.

But we still have 13 episodes left of the first season and it could still catch fire with the ladies while it and Fena are still airing on the block together.

Edited by OwlChemist81
  • Thanks 1

Yashahime turned out to be the biggest dropper of the night over last week:

"Adult Swim’s line-up performed as follows :  FENA: PIRATE PRINCESS down 0.02 to 0.20, MY HERO ACADEMIA down a tick to 0.18, YASHAHIME down 0.03 to 0.12, FOOD WARS down 0.02 to 0.11, BLACK CLOVER down 0.01 to 0.11, NARUTO up 0.01 to 0.11, DR STONE at 0.08/154K, and DRAGON BALL [SUPER] down 0.02 to 0.07/157K."

At least Dr. Stone held steady with Attack on Titan! And next week we put Dragon Ball Super out of its misery after almost 5 years! Still, oddly sad to see it go...

Edited by OwlChemist81
  • Like 1

Clearly, Toonami has seen better days...

"Adult Swim’s line-up performed as follows:  FENA: PIRATE PRINCESS down 0.08 to 0.12, MY HERO ACADEMIA down 0.06 to 0.12, YASHAHIME down 0.03 to 0.09, FOOD WARS down 0.02 to 0.09, BLACK CLOVER down 0.04 to 0.07, NARUTO down 0.04 to 0.07, DR STONE down 0.02 to 0.06/123K, and DRAGON BALL down 0.01 to 0.06/164K."

Turn the page...

Edited by OwlChemist81
  • Like 1

College Football is king, and Fena's just a damsel in distress at this point:

https://showbuzzdaily.com/articles/showbuzzdailys-saturday-9-18-2021-top-150-cable-originals-network-finals.html

Spoiler

2021-9-18-Sat-FinalCable-LSD.png

Second week in a row with no Toonami show over 300K, but at least it seems all shows did a bit better in Adults 18-49 and perhaps some other key demos.

Edited by OwlChemist81
  • Confused 1

Wow:

"Adult Swim’s line-up performed as follows :  FENA: PIRATE PRINCESS up 0.02 to 0.14, MY HERO ACADEMIA up 0.01 to 0.13, YASHAHIME up 0.02 to 0.11, FOOD WARS steady at 0.09, BLACK CLOVER up 0.01 to 0.08, NARUTO up 0.02 to 0.09, DR STONE down 0.01 to 0.05/118K, and DRAGON BALL down 0.02 to 0.04/105K."

Absolutely wretched number for Dragon Ball Super; hopefully it's just a placeholder for something else. Dr. Stone didn't do much better either. I'll bet Naruto Shippuden and Samurai Jack are is doing better than that at 5 AM on Tuesday-Saturday mornings! Maybe they should just move DBS to one of those timeslots?

Jack showed episode 38 this morning, so it has 14 episodes left to go, for a total of 3 more weeks at the current rate of 5 episodes per week, unless they show season 5 this time, in which case, it would have 5 more weeks to go. Shippuden, meanwhile, just showed Season 15, Episode 9, so it has 4 more weeks to go at it's current pace to get to the end of Season 15 again. Hopefully they get to show a little further into Season 16 this time, but right now, it looks like it will need a reset in about 7 weeks. Hopefully they plan on mixing up one of those timeslots when that time comes!

Edited by OwlChemist81
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, elfie said:

Eh it's football.

I heard that Fena's popularity is really getting hindered by how Japan doesn't get the show until weeks from now. Crunchyroll is only getting the Japanese version with subtitles before they do.

Well I mean... It's being hindered by the fact that people just aren't that into it.

Tying back in with the subtitle of this thread, I decided for some reason to rewatch some old episodes of gen:LOCK tonight, since it has been 2 years since Toonami aired the show, and it occurred to me that it's the ONLY mecha show that Toonami on [as] has aired before midnight so far:

Gundam IBO got 12 AM, 12:30, and 1 AM
Other Gundam shows got either 1 AM, 2 AM, or 3 AM
Gurren Lagann got 2 AM and 1:30 AM
Kill la Kill got 12:30 AM
SSSS.Gridman got 2:30 AM
Eureka 7 got 1:30, 2:30, and 3 AM
Big O got like 2:30-3:30 AM

Can y'all think of any others? Were there any mecha-heavy shows (and not mecha-esque like AOT) that were gifted with a timeslot before midnight on Toonami?

I'm sure we all wondered how bad it would get without Family Guy, but NOTHING prepared me for THIS:

https://showbuzzdaily.com/articles/showbuzzdailys-saturday-9-25-2021-top-150-cable-originals-network-finals.html

Note how I'm not even posting the grid this week, because NO TOONAMI SHOWS made the Top 50! Fena checked in at #55 with a modest 181K, but at least none of the premieres did worse than 100K.

Edited by OwlChemist81
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, PokeNirvash said:

Welcome to the new normal, I guess.

It was a busy week sports wise.  College football and a UFC PPV were both on.  Baseball playoffs are approaching.  And that’s on top of the block’s already noted issues, that everyone watches the shows on other services that conform to their schedules, rather than the other way around.

"Adult Swim’s line-up performed as follows:  FENA: PIRATE PRINCESS down 0.06 to 0.08, MY HERO ACADEMIA down 0.05 to 0.08, YASHAHIME down 0.04 to 0.07, FOOD WARS down 0.02 to 0.07, BLACK CLOVER down 0.02 to 0.06, NARUTO down 0.03 to 0.06, DR STONE down 0.01 to 0.04/101K, and DRAGON BALL down 0.01 to 0.03/104K."

😭

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

Yeah, but they don't have to air an hour of overrated Rick & Morty right before. They COULD try American Dad instead!

Final Space at 9, R&M at 10, and AD at 11 would make more sense!

OR, lose the R&M and air an hour of Dragon Ball Super at 11 and see how that does? At least Fena only has 4 episodes left in this season. And then we get Blade Runner, most likely.

Also, there might be a silver lining to this dark cloud: it's almost CERTAIN to go up this week!

Get wo

Yeah, you know the rest.

Trallin aside, the lack of a lead to generate a substantial casual audience is probably a big factor. Sporting events are also a seasonal drag on ratings. I doubt Toonami is in much immediate danger, considering the money spent on original programming, they have to at least try to recoup that investment, and streaming alone won't do that.