UnevenEdge

Toonami Unevenedge Ratings Discussion 3.0: Let The Good Times Roll!!!!!

18 hours ago, Sketch said:

What's not to get? Primal is a 10. YashaHime is a 6 at it's best and that's being generous. I don't hate the show but it's mostly a nothing-burger.

You're being generous. I'll give it a better than Boruto.... but this didn't need to exist.

Yashahime has apparently gotten better this cour, but if you want the dynamic that InuYasha was famous for, you’re probably better off watching Bastard!

And if you’re just hankering for some more Rumiko, well, the Urusei Yatsura remake is due in October, meaning anime’s original waifu is back.

5 hours ago, Jman said:

Yashahime has apparently gotten better this cour, but if you want the dynamic that InuYasha was famous for, you’re probably better off watching Bastard!

And if you’re just hankering for some more Rumiko, well, the Urusei Yatsura remake is due in October, meaning anime’s original waifu is back.

I'm not watching, but apparently S2 jumped on Mal to a 3505 critical ranking from S1's 5279. 

So the good news is people do indeed seem to like it more and it jumped almost 2000 spots. The bad news... it's still in the 3000's, which is not the kind of thing you air if you're trying to keep your anime block on the air.

But it's not Boruto.

While we wait for ratings to come in for Saturday, what say we take a look back and see how PRIMAL did Thursday night...

https://showbuzzdaily.com/articles/showbuzzdailys-thursday-8-25-2022-top-150-cable-originals-network-finals.html

Not too shabby, I guess. #29/0.11 18-49 and 216K total viewers. Hope Toonami kept pace with that!

Well, Yashahime improved slightly, good enough for #43, but everything else either held steady or did a bit worse:

Spoiler

2022-8-27-Sat-FinalCable-LSD.png

https://showbuzzdaily.com/articles/showbuzzdailys-saturday-8-27-2022-top-150-cable-originals-network-finals.html

I am quite fearful for the 3 AM Blade In Abyss hour...

Edited by OwlChemist81

"On Adult Swim, the line-up performed as follows:  PRIMAL down 0.01 to 0.10/237K, LUPIN THE 3RD steady at 0.06, YASHAHIME up 0.01 to 0.08, ONE PIECE at 0.06/0.05 compared to last week’s 0.06/0.06, NARUTO down 0.02 to 0.04, BLADE RUNNER: BLACK LOTUS down 0.02 to 0.03/79K, and MADE IN ABYSS down 0.02 to 0.03/75K."

Yeowch!!

Thursday's PRIMAL numbers were a 246K and a 0.09 in Adults 18-49...

https://showbuzzdaily.com/articles/showbuzzdailys-thursday-9-1-2022-top-150-cable-originals-network-finals.html

...but could Saturday beat that? Well...

https://showbuzzdaily.com/articles/showbuzzdailys-saturday-9-3-2022-top-150-cable-originals-network-finals.html

Spoiler

2022-9-3-Sat-FinalCable-LSD.png

Doesn't look like it. Like last week, only Yashahime made the Top 50, and though everything else didn't drop THAT far from there, Naruto took a nosedive. Stayed above 100K though...

We've got some catching up to do!

Last Saturday, 9/3:

"On Adult Swim, the line-up performed as follows:  PRIMAL down 0.01 to 0.09/271K, LUPIN THE 3RD steady at 0.06, YASHAHIME down 0.02 to 0.06, ONE PIECE at 0.06/0.06 compared to last week’s 0.06/0.05, NARUTO steady at 0.04, BLADE RUNNER: BLACK LOTUS steady at 0.03/92K, and MADE IN ABYSS steady at 0.03/72K."

And then this Thursday (9/8), PRIMAL actually notched its highest total viewers number yet of the season, cracking 300K: https://showbuzzdaily.com/articles/showbuzzdailys-thursday-9-8-2022-top-150-cable-originals-network-finals.html

This past Saturday (9/10), Toonami didn't do too hot relative to all the other cable originals:

https://showbuzzdaily.com/articles/showbuzzdailys-saturday-9-10-2022-top-150-cable-originals-network-finals.html

Not posting the grid because NO Toonami shows made it. Lupin actually led the charge, checking in at #64 with a 0.07 in Adults 18-49, which actually improved upon last week slightly. Naruto Shippuden also notched up. Yashahime and the One Pieces (hey, that would make a great band name!) held steady.

All shows were also down considerably in total viewers, but Shippuden did hold to 6 digits.

Last but certainly not least, Rick & Morty kept kicking ass, placing 3rd in Adults 18-34 on Sunday:

https://showbuzzdaily.com/articles/showbuzzdailys-sunday-9-11-2022-top-150-cable-originals-network-finals.html

Edited by OwlChemist81

"On Adult Swim, the line-up performed as follows: PRIMAL up 0.01 to 0.10/236K, LUPIN THE 3RD up 0.01 to 0.07, YASHAHIME steady at 0.06, ONE PIECE at a steady 0.06/0.06, NARUTO up 0.01 to 0.05, BLADE RUNNER: BLACK LOTUS steady at 0.03/83K, and MADE IN ABYSS up 0.01 to 0.04/95K. "

Wow, this result makes Black Lotus look like even MORE of a dud. Rebound for Made in Abyss, as it leaves Orth and gets interesting!

Also interesting: College Football belittled hated Toonami rival Live PD's Reelz Reincarnation feeble, as it checked in at #15 18-49 with less than a million viewers. Take THAT, "On Patrol!"

The last episode of PRIMAL did pretty damn good, checking in at #18 in 18-49:

https://showbuzzdaily.com/articles/showbuzzdailys-thursday-9-15-2022-top-150-cable-originals-network-finals.html

Spoiler

2022-9-15-Thu-FinalCable-LSD-1.png

And then on Saturday on Toonami, Batman: Hush cracked the Top 50:

https://showbuzzdaily.com/articles/showbuzzdailys-saturday-9-17-2022-top-150-cable-originals-network-finals.html

Spoiler

2022-9-17-Sat-FinalCable-LSD.png

Also, "Adult Swim’s PRIMAL dropped 0.02 to 0.08/215K."

Good Lord, having Toonami's flagship show premiere 2 days before was straight-up POISON for it! I'd say "thank God THAT'S over," but Housing Complex C ain't here quite yet...

Edited by OwlChemist81

Toonami actually did pretty darn good last weekend:

https://showbuzzdaily.com/articles/showbuzzdailys-saturday-9-24-2022-top-150-cable-originals-network-finals.html

Spoiler

2022-9-24-Sat-FinalCable-LSD.png

All 5 premieres made the Top 50! And what's interesting is the 25-54 number was slightly better for Yashahime and Lupin--is Toonami's demographic shifting?

Weird--more people watched the Made In Abyss rerun from 2 weeks ago at 3 AM than the one that hasn't aired since late February at 3:30:

"On Adult Swim, the late-night line-up performed as follows:  PRIMAL up 0.03 to 0.11/276K, YASAHIME at 0.09, ONE PIECE at 0.08/0.07, LUPIN THE 3RD at 0.08, NARUTO at 0.07, and MADE IN ABYSS at 0.05/127K & 0.05/104K."

Spoiler

"AND THERE YOU HAVE IT!"

Prediction: at some point Toonami gets another line-up promo, PRIMAL gets a rerun, and this sound bite finishes off the promo! Toonami would be remiss not to do that!

Edited by OwlChemist81

That was Lupin the 3rd Part 6's 21st episode (not counting the drunken Jigen mess that was Episode 0), and so it only has 3 episodes to go, so we may yet get double Yashahime on October 22nd, but at least we have the Housing Complex C finale to lead into it. Hope they continue doing topicals for Yashahime even when Housing Complex C has the spotlight because those have almost been more entertaining than the show itself!

Edited by OwlChemist81
  • Like 1

Hey, not too shabby!

https://showbuzzdaily.com/articles/showbuzzdailys-saturday-10-1-2022-top-150-cable-originals-network-finals.html

Spoiler

2022-10-1-Sat-FinalCable-LSD.png

We've certainly seen worse. Pretty good start for Housing Complex C, and Lupin managed to steal a Top 50 spot despite effectively tying with Yashahime and the One Pieces. Shippuden dropped to 0.07 to round out the originals.

On Patrol is already doing crappy and I think it's only a matter of time until it gets beat by a Toonami show. HCC and Lupin effectively DID beat it BIG in 18-34.

"On Adult Swim, the late-night line-up performed as follows:  HOUSING COMPLEX C at 0.12, YASAHIME steady at 0.09, ONE PIECE at 0.09/0.09 compared to last week’s 0.08/0.07, LUPIN THE 3RD up 0.01 to 0.09, NARUTO steady at 0.07, and MADE IN ABYSS at 0.05/110K & 0.05/106K compared to last week’s 0.05/0.05."

Really, the only thing we didn't know from this at first was the MiA power hour numbers, but either way it's great too see all Toonami shows either improved or held steady.

Edited by OwlChemist81

Absolutely BRUTAL week for Toonami:

https://showbuzzdaily.com/articles/showbuzzdailys-saturday-10-8-2022-top-150-cable-originals-network-finals.html

The ratings leader is HCC, but with an 18-49 number of 0.05, rank #72, and only 146K total viewers. Lupin and the One Pieces also towed the mark of 0.05, but not Yashahime nor Shippuden, the latter of which was in the 5-figure club, failing to even muster 100K total viewers. Perhaps worst of all, with an 18-49 number of 0.04, those latter two even failed to beat the trump rally. 🤮

3 hours ago, OwlChemist81 said:

https://showbuzzdaily.com/articles/showbuzzdailys-saturday-10-8-2022-top-150-cable-originals-network-finals.html

The ratings leader is HCC, but with an 18-49 number of 0.05, rank #72, and only 146K total viewers. Lupin and the One Pieces also towed the mark of 0.05, but not Yashahime nor Shippuden, the latter of which was in the 5-figure club, failing to even muster 100K total viewers. Perhaps worst of all, with an 18-49 number of 0.04, those latter two even failed to beat the trump rally. 🤮

Wow, even with the old gang back YashaHime shit the bed on an already low night. Thankfully Lupin made up for that a bit but soon it’s leaving.

4 hours ago, OwlChemist81 said:

Man, I had a feeling this episode would dip because it was pretty slow, didn’t expect it to be this bad though. Really bad turn for HCC, this means at least 1/4 of the show did absolutely awful

• Sad 1

4 hours ago, Toonamiguy321 said:

Man, I had a feeling this episode would dip because it was pretty slow, didn’t expect it to be this bad though. Really bad turn for HCC, this means at least 1/4 of the show did absolutely awful

I am quite curious about how the comedies airing before HCC did that night. High probability they saw their worst ratings in a while.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, HuntikFan1017 said:

Airing Primal reruns in the lead slot was one of the biggest mistakes they ever did. And it was a mistake because those reruns did GOOD. We got through the entire summer with a halfway decent lead in, then we fire up an original and everything tanks. There’s no argument on what the problem is. 

1 hour ago, MasqueradeOverture said:

Remember when these were bad numbers for the Chiller network?

Pepperidge Farm remembers.

I don’t think we are quite Chiller tier yet. I’m pretty sure they had some examples at 4 digits. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Oops...

Guess I'll post the grid...

Spoiler

2022-10-15-Sat-FinalCable-LSD.png

Housing Complex C made it at #41 but it ain't exactly setting the world on fire.

The real tragedy is AMC+'s Pantheon may not see the light of day on Cable TV at all with these numbers for HCC. Here's hoping eventually they decide to pull a Discovery+ with BattleBots: Bounty Hunters and air it on AMC, but that decision was arguably buoyed by good numbers for its parent show. Granted, this is a completely different property indeed even if the mediums (animated drama/action/horror) are similar, but what's not good for the goose isn't good for the gander either, I guess...

Edited by OwlChemist81
  • Confused 1

The same week Chainsaw Man trends without a dub even being ready (25th is when it debuts) and Bleach trends without a dub being ready, these are the Toonami ratings.

These are barren times, for ratings and shows.  Uzumaki is one delay away from being scrapped for the tax write-off, all the originals aired during the last year were scrapped for tax write-offs, and it’s clear no one really cares about Yashahime at all, which has extra tragedy/hilarity when one remembers its predecessor was the closest thing the 2000s had to a viral anime.

Something is going to give if these trends continue, especially with Zaslav running wild with his fiscal chainsaw.

2 hours ago, OwlChemist81 said:

With the dub of BLEACH: Thousand Year Blood War coming to Hulu on Friday, November 4th, it's possible that Toonami will be able to air it on November 5th, but man, that will feel like sloppy seconds!

It would be better than the more likely alternative of nothing. This block is well beyond the point of getting dub premier content. As far as I’m concerned a 24 hour gap of the hottest anime of the year is damn good, especially with how subpar the blocks offerings have been this year. 

• Like 1

On 10/18/2022 at 10:10 PM, MasqueradeOverture said:

Remember when these were bad numbers for the Chiller network?

Pepperidge Farm remembers.

Chiller's issue wasn't that it had numbers that low - as if you'd expect anything more from a specialty cable network that isn't even in the most basic of packages - but that the numbers dropped 89% from week 1 to week 2.

But for as much of a failure as it was, it got me to actually watch (and like!) Is This a Zombie, and for that, I'm at the very least grateful.

• Thanks 2

9 hours ago, PokeNirvash said:

Chiller's issue wasn't that it had numbers that low - as if you'd expect anything more from a specialty cable network that isn't even in the most basic of packages - but that the numbers dropped 89% from week 1 to week 2.

But for as much of a failure as it was, it got me to actually watch (and like!) Is This a Zombie, and for that, I'm at the very least grateful.

That drop was justified. Chiller just flat out did not care. They heard anime might be good for viewership and judged a few books by their cover and slammed an allegedly horror anime block together. Which started out with a comedy/harem that I assume they picked up because “zombie” was a keyword they were looking for in a show title. They didn’t even bother to do the subtitles which were crucial to know what one character was saying. 

Don’t get me wrong, I’m in the same boat of being encouraged to watch the show because of Chiller and ending up really enjoying it, but there’s no arguing that there was a theme they were going for and they missed the mark right out of the gate. And that’s a shame, because having a few other anime blocks on other days of the week on other channels would have been some nice variety. Having the Chiller block die so fast and in such a spectacular disaster probably discouraged other networks from attempting  their own.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

On 10/20/2022 at 5:37 PM, PokeNirvash said:

It might have been the real unholy megabomb, failing so hard it needed an exorcism. Too bad Toonami had already taken Hellsing Ultimate.

Speaking of niche attempts at specialty networks airing anime on TV in the mid-2010's, while I never made it to Chiller's anime block, these comments gave me nostalgia for when Mnet America aired the original Love Live! anime. I feel like I'm the only person who remembers that happened. I have no idea what the reason for it was, being a Japanese series aired on a network that specializes in K-pop. Maybe NIS America's dub came with a requirement to air it on TV? Except I feel like that would've been the case for future installments of the franchise; at one point, I was genuinely expecting (or rather, hoping) to see Sunshine pop up on TBS. Either way, they exited the anime licensing game after that and Funi -> CR have gotten the rest of it. And I wonder what the ratings were for this weird experiment... probably a 0.0 household rating.

The End Of The Line for Housing Complex C premieres...

https://showbuzzdaily.com/articles/showbuzzdailys-saturday-10-22-2022-top-150-cable-originals-network-finals.html

Spoiler

2022-10-22-Sat-FinalCable-LSD.png

So looks like HCC premieres made it into the lower reaches of the Top 50 3 times out of 4, and I guess that ain't bad.

The other 5 premieres, of course, weren't so lucky. The 1 AM One Piece just barely missed it at #53, rebounding from a #71 Yashahime. Well, at least all 6 premieres managed to beat the trump rally in 18-49, so that's something, right??

I really enjoyed HCC, and I’m not afraid to call it the best original thus far, but there is no argument that it was a flop with the Toonami audience, especially comparing it to Primal rerun numbers just one month ago. 

No idea what they are planning for the 5th, but they need something damn good for midnight. And they really need to consider moving Yashahime later in the night

43 minutes ago, Toonamiguy321 said:

I really enjoyed HCC, and I’m not afraid to call it the best original thus far, but there is no argument that it was a flop with the Toonami audience, especially comparing it to Primal rerun numbers just one month ago. 

No idea what they are planning for the 5th, but they need something damn good for midnight. And they really need to consider moving Yashahime later in the night

I think there's no question if Toonami somehow pulls off two new marquee shows, such as Bleach: TYBW and MHA Season 6, Yashahime will be 3rd in the lineup.

It may remain 12:30 if MiA Season 2 is brought on board instead.

59 minutes ago, OwlChemist81 said:

I think there's no question if Toonami somehow pulls off two new marquee shows, such as Bleach: TYBW and MHA Season 6, Yashahime will be 3rd in the lineup.

It may remain 12:30 if MiA Season 2 is brought on board instead.

With how it tanks every night, it really should just get dumped after Naruto so the rest of the shows at least have a chance. It’s the main cause for the rest of the block missing the top 50 most weeks. Starting out low certainly doesn’t help, but losing a huge chunk of that already low audience is the real killer. 

Bleach or MHA would be saviors if they got them, but we know odds on MHA are very low, and Bleach is still at 50/50. It certainly looks like the block could be the next day premier after the Hulu release, but you would think something major like that would have been announced by now. 

Total crisis scenario is if they have nothing and end up having an hour of Yashahime right up top. Let’s hope it doesn’t come to that. 

• Thanks 1

We’re at the point when double One Piece at midnight is probably a better choice than giving YashaHime the top slot.

So if they do have two new shows then maybe they should toss YashaHime after OP or even after Shippuden.

They probably won’t bury YashaHime at this point but it sure hasn’t done the block any favors.

• Sad 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/25/2022 at 11:44 AM, Jman said:

Yashahime, despite its apparent second half improvement, seems to have failed utterly to capture the magic of the original.

I'm not sure why people are surprised. S2 is better than S1, but according to MAL even S2 is about as well received as Fena Pirate Princess. And that's the "good" season.

This is why I don't really have any faith in Demarco's decisions. How do you get another cash grab nostalgia bait sequel right after you stop airing Boruto? I don't get it.

3 hours ago, Daos said:

I'm not sure why people are surprised. S2 is better than S1, but according to MAL even S2 is about as well received as Fena Pirate Princess. And that's the "good" season.

This is why I don't really have any faith in Demarco's decisions. How do you get another cash grab nostalgia bait sequel right after you stop airing Boruto? I don't get it.

I don’t think anyone is surprised, just disappointed we had to waste a slot on this for 24 weeks. S1 had similar retention issues. Toonami has always had a bad habit of “we started it so we gotta air every season no matter what” rather than basing future season pickups on ratings. 

On the topic of ratings, should we assume going forward that rerun numbers are now just entirely inaccessible? MiA numbers disappeared at the start of the month and SBD somewhat acknowledged they aren’t getting them. Not a huge deal for the end of the night shows, but it was nice to get a feel how marathon nights did. Plus, we may not get the lead slot numbers for November at this rate which are a bit more important for the context of the rest of the night. 

Hey, not a bad showing from Toonami to kick off November:

https://showbuzzdaily.com/articles/showbuzzdailys-saturday-11-5-2022-top-150-cable-originals-network-finals.html

Spoiler

2022-11-5-Sat-FinalCable-LSD.png

All 4 qualified Toonami shows made it, with Yashahime at #27 semi-surprisingly just edging out the Season 2 premiere of Made In Abyss (#28), though MIA did manage to beat it in a few key demos.

One Piece at #33 and Shippuden at #37 rounded out the rest of Toonami's premieres, all in the Top 40 for the first time in a good long while! 😁

• Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, OwlChemist81 said:

Hey, not a bad showing from Toonami to kick off November:

https://showbuzzdaily.com/articles/showbuzzdailys-saturday-11-5-2022-top-150-cable-originals-network-finals.html

Reveal hidden contents

2022-11-5-Sat-FinalCable-LSD.png

All 4 qualified Toonami shows made it, with Yashahime at #27 semi-surprisingly just edging out the Season 2 premiere of Made In Abyss (#28), though MIA did manage to beat it in a few key demos.

One Piece at #33 and Shippuden at #37 rounded out the rest of Toonami's premieres, all in the Top 40 for the first time in a good long while! 😁

Yikes…. those ratings are GREAT. 2 (presumably 3 with MHA) over 200k? When is the last time that has happened?

Why the yikes? Because once again there is irrefutable proof that the core issue with the ratings the past month was Demarco’s original. They put so much stock into the original projects and time and time again they fail the block. And it’s not like this was stiff competition, it was a rerun of MHA in the middle of an arc, and we are looking at at minimum 60k more viewers than 3/4 of HCC. 

Looking further down the night, it’s interesting how moving Yashahime down completely resolved it’s major retention issue. Not sure if it’s the time or if MiA is just a better match for it. 

• Thanks 1