Jump to content
UnevenEdge
OwlChemist81

Toonami Unevenedge Ratings Discussion 3.0: Let The Good Times Roll!!!!!

Recommended Posts

Wow, Toonami was killing it in 18-34.

I may mock DeMarco the mighty fisherman, but I have to admit the ratings this week were very impressive in terms of share.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

On Adult Swim, the primetime FINAL SPACE ticked down to 0.14, and the late-night line-up performed as follows:  DRAGON BALL up 0.03 to 0.18/362K, ATTACK ON TITAN steady at 0.15, FOOD WARS up 0.02 to 0.14, FIRE FORCE up 0.03 to 0.15 with another episode at 0.12/209K, BLACK CLOVER down 0.01 to 0.10/181K, NARUTO steady at 0.09, and DEMON SLAYER up 0.02 to 0.09/167K.

Well, there ya go. These idiots thought Fire Force actually aired twice. 2nd place 18-34 TPN CONFIRMED!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
22 hours ago, PokeNirvash said:

Shit, can't people have normal fetishes anymore?

P.S. I don't have a 401K.

I do have about 6,650 pieces of Dogecoin though and was about to cum freehand when it almost hit $.15

EDIT: IT'S ALMOST $.20

3_WZyR.gif

Edited by MasqueradeOverture
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

I don't have a 401K either. I have pension.

Well, let's see what damage the loss of Xfinity's lower tiers did, shall we?

http://www.showbuzzdaily.com/articles/showbuzzdailys-top-150-saturday-cable-originals-network-finals-4-17-2021.html

image.thumb.png.446d0e7f60adbfbb6fe52e195265072a.png

Well, AOT premieres didn't fall below 200K, so my worst fear has been assuaged for now. And the 18-49s are decent, but man are those 18-34s ABYSMALLY low! Seems like this weekend the only things that demographic really cared about were NBA, UFC, and for SOME crazy reason the freakin' Trolls movie on FREEFORM!

Oh well; at least everything eligible but Shippuden made the Top 50 this week. And it would seem Toonami's millennial viewership might be shifting substantially to the 35-49 crowd so there's that.

 

Edited by OwlChemist81
  • Confused 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

"On Adult Swim, the primetime FINAL SPACE gained 0.02 to 0.16, and the late-night line-up performed as follows:  DRAGON BALL down 0.01 to 0.17/332K, ATTACK ON TITAN steady at 0.15, FOOD WARS down 0.01 to 0.13, PROMISED NEVERLAND at 0.11, FIRE FORCE down 0.04 to 0.11, , BLACK CLOVER steady at 0.10, NARUTO steady at 0.09, and DEMON SLAYER down 0.02 to 0.07/156K."

This is crazy. It's almost like SSSS.GRIDMAN was the Atlas holding the block up all along?!?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Yeah, it pretty much WAS just a really off week.

http://www.showbuzzdaily.com/articles/showbuzzdailys-top-150-saturday-cable-originals-network-finals-4-24-2021.html

image.thumb.png.35c79bc63bd80e9b51df9e80acf7183f.png

While there was some decay in the 18-49s throughout the night, as well as total viewers, the 18-34s were solid, varying only by 0.02 throughout the night, and all Toonami premieres beat Final Space in that classic [as] target demo. I think a 0.15 correlates to about 100K if I remember correctly. Not bad for 2021.

Also, it seems that in 18-34, the UFC Fight Nights may be more detrimental to Toonami than PPV Prelims. Top Rank Boxing following that just barely dug into DBS but still apparently was bested by it in 18-34.

Edited by OwlChemist81
  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

"On Adult Swim, the primetime FINAL SPACE was steady at 0.16, and the late-night line-up performed as follows:  DRAGON BALL up 0.01 to 0.18/342K, ATTACK ON TITAN up 0.02 to 0.17, FOOD WARS up 0.02 to 0.15, PROMISED NEVERLAND up 0.02 to 0.13, FIRE FORCE up 0.02 to 0.13, , BLACK CLOVER up 0.03 to 0.13, NARUTO up 0.02 to 0.11, and DEMON SLAYER up 0.03 to 0.10/174K."

Look at all those "ups"! Dragon Ball Super leading the charge yet again. Some things never change--or do they? It will be interesting to see if MHA can shake things up next month. Perhaps if it consistently beats reruns of Super and that carries over to success for Dr. Stone, we MIGHT see a shakeup at some point? But for whatever reason, AOT just didn't have what it took, and we saw that play out week after week as DBS beat it consistently.

Edited by OwlChemist81

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, OwlChemist81 said:

"On Adult Swim, the primetime FINAL SPACE was steady at 0.16, and the late-night line-up performed as follows:  DRAGON BALL up 0.01 to 0.18/342K, ATTACK ON TITAN up 0.02 to 0.17, FOOD WARS up 0.02 to 0.15, PROMISED NEVERLAND up 0.02 to 0.13, FIRE FORCE up 0.02 to 0.13, , BLACK CLOVER up 0.03 to 0.13, NARUTO up 0.02 to 0.11, and DEMON SLAYER up 0.03 to 0.10/174K."

Look at all those "ups". Dragon Ball Super leading the charge yet again. Some things never change--or do they? It will be interesting to see if MHA can shake things up next month. Perhaps if it consistently beats reruns of Super and that carries over to success for Dr. Stone, we MIGHT see a shakeup at some point? But for whatever reason, AOT just didn't have what it took, and we saw that play out week after week as DBS beat it consistently.

I'd be surprised if suddenly more people showed up for MHA than DBS Reruns because the ratings tend to decline after DBS and they never get any higher than what DBS Did

what are the chances people show up half an hour after toonami starts in droves to watch MHA S5?

Edited by CountFrylock

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Probably not very great. I mean, while this season could be a mega blockbuster and anything can happen, MHA's ratings have a history of being inferior to Dragon Ball Super...

...OR DO THEY!?

In 2019, first Dub Premiere episodes of Dragon Ball Super were up against network premieres of MHA through about August. In all timeslots of MHA: 12 AM; 11:30 PM; and even 10:30 PM, DBS's consistent 11 PM showtime beat it. The same was of course true of 3:30 AM, it goes without saying.

But then a peculiar thing happened. After absolutely killing it in the ratings in dub premieres, DBS got a limited 4-episode encore of its conclusion from 10/12-11/2 at 11 PM, and was then replaced by MHA. MHA Season 4 beat it handily, 531K-475K. Then in 2020, MHA S4 premieres led the block, and even though they ended up in later timeslots, they did rather well, much better than the DBS encore that would rule the second half of the year at midnight. All episodes of MHA Season 4, whether premiere or rerun, averaged 546K. DBS, meanwhile, averaged only 435K when it led the block.

Of the 16 times DBS and AOT have aired back-to-back, DBS has beaten AOT 14/16 times in total viewers and beaten or tied it 10/16 in Adults 18-49 (tying 5 of those).

So, how will MHA Season 5 network premieres do in 2021? Will they be able to best DBS reruns at Midnight as AOT failed to do? Only time will tell, but I believe most evidence speaks that it's at least possible!

Edited by OwlChemist81
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, OwlChemist81 said:

Probably not very great. I mean, while this season could be a mega blockbuster and anything can happen, MHA's ratings have a history of being inferior to Dragon Ball Super...

...OR DO THEY!?

In 2019, first Dub Premiere episodes of Dragon Ball Super were up against network premieres of MHA through about August. In all timeslots of MHA: 12 AM; 11:30 PM; and even 10:30 PM, DBS's consistent 11 PM showtime beat it. The same was of course true of 3:30 AM, it goes without saying.

But then a peculiar thing happened. After absolutely killing it in the ratings in dub premieres, DBS got a limited 4-episode encore of its conclusion from 10/12-11/2 at 11 PM, and was then replaced by MHA. MHA Season 4 beat it handily, 531K-475K. Then in 2020, MHA S4 premieres led the block, and even though they ended up in later timeslots, they did rather well, much better than the DBS encore that would rule the second half of the year at midnight. All episodes of MHA Season 4, whether premiere or rerun, averaged 546K. DBS, meanwhile, averaged only 435K when it led the block.

Of the 16 times DBS and AOT have aired back-to-back, DBS has beaten AOT 14/16 times in total viewers and beaten or tied it 10/16 in Adults 18-49 (tying 5 of those).

So, how will MHA Season 5 network premieres do in 2021? Will they be able to best DBS reruns at Midnight as AOT failed to do? Only time will tell, but I believe most evidence speaks that it's at least possible!

i still don't see them beating DBS Reruns because the trend is for the ratings to steadily decline after the first show and i don't see that changing

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

True DeMarco agrees with Kim that MHA didn't get as many ratings as DB Super did. But I am still sore he moved it to the BACK of the block for a brief period! And that was for PREMIERES.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Programming acting like morons, I'm sure. Really, I'm thankful that was rectified by the time season 4 showed up.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Now there's an expectation that any week they tune in there will be Dragon Ball Super at midnight. Not before midnight. Not after midnight. Specifically midnight. It's what viewers expect and it's what advertisers expect. And truthfully it's not usually a detriment for any show to be directly after DBS at the 12:30 slot.

The problem is they have a stacked line-up and shows like Dr. Stone get 1am AT BEST when the 2nd slot is already occupied by the show that should be at midnight. And some shows end up premiering after 2am. Toonami's only dub premiere in May will be moved to 2am. Granted it's the not well received second season of The Promised Neverland but it still seems like a waste to put the only dub premiere that late.

It would also be less of a problem if DBS was at 11pm or even 11:30pm instead of having 4 straight American Dad episodes in prime time but that loops back to the prior statement, everyone expects DBS at midnight and moving it earlier doesn't help it do better. They should be preparing for when Family Guy leaves by building up something else on Saturday but its clear they are going to ride that 11pm hour of Family Guy as far as they can before they abruptly get thrown off.

  • D'oh 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, PokeNirvash said:

Programming acting like morons, I'm sure. Really, I'm thankful that was rectified by the time season 4 showed up.

hopefully sooner rather than later they realize DBS Reruns remaining the lead show until it's run concludes isn't a smart idea....they aren't gonna find a better lead show than MHA S5

none of the originals will be it and a nostalgia fueled pick won't be either

 

18 hours ago, Daos said:

Well look.....they spent years cultivating a Dragonball fanbase, and now a lot of their viewers only come for Dragonball.

They chose the benefit of short term ratings for one show over long term survival.

https://comicbook.com/anime/news/netflix-ratings-anime-double-2020/

 

all because "DB Put toonami on the map!"  I Guess they are fine with people seeing toonami as just Dragon ball and nothing else

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Sketch said:

Now there's an expectation that any week they tune in there will be Dragon Ball Super at midnight. Not before midnight. Not after midnight. Specifically midnight. It's what viewers expect and it's what advertisers expect. And truthfully it's not usually a detriment for any show to be directly after DBS at the 12:30 slot.

The problem is they have a stacked line-up and shows like Dr. Stone get 1am AT BEST when the 2nd slot is already occupied by the show that should be at midnight. And some shows end up premiering after 2am. Toonami's only dub premiere in May will be moved to 2am. Granted it's the not well received second season of The Promised Neverland but it still seems like a waste to put the only dub premiere that late.

It would also be less of a problem if DBS was at 11pm or even 11:30pm instead of having 4 straight American Dad episodes in prime time but that loops back to the prior statement, everyone expects DBS at midnight and moving it earlier doesn't help it do better. They should be preparing for when Family Guy leaves by building up something else on Saturday but its clear they are going to ride that 11pm hour of Family Guy as far as they can before they abruptly get thrown off.

I feel like they really should've been using this year to establish a different show in the 11pm hour. It's going to be quite a drastic change to the regular viewers come fall. Easing off their complete reliance of Family Guy to prop up the whole night (I'm not just talking about Saturday, I mean weeknights as well) would make it much easier later on. It seems like the ultimate plan is to front load the entire pre midnight hours with American Dad, Bob's, and Rick. I believe what they may do is air 3-4 unique episodes of each and ditch some if not all of the encores. I don't see how they keep 8:00 otherwise unless they want to use the Naruto/Jack hour there (also repeating at 5). To me having 3-4 Dad's a night is either leading up to them losing that hour completely or a preview of their strategy moving forward.I will admit though, as a up all night person, I'm intrigued by the possibility of a FOX-less late night portion of the block. There is such a massive catalog that they could easily program 5 or so hours. 

It seems like they really are set on keeping Super in the lead, perhaps even beyond the airing of episode 131. Maybe they were hoping by the time it cycled through, more Dragonball would be on the horizon. Demarco also hinted at the possibility of another "nostalgic" property taking that spot. Is that the only thing they think will hook in a casual viewer? I do wonder what they could possibly be hoping for. There's only a few heavy hitters that come to mind- Sailor Moon, YYH, Gundam (Wing or G) or perhaps even a re-airing of Bleach (maybe the last stretch). Would a viewer really come in for those week after week or just a few times and then go watch the rest on their own at a faster pace?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, brianycpht said:

I feel like they really should've been using this year to establish a different show in the 11pm hour. It's going to be quite a drastic change to the regular viewers come fall. Easing off their complete reliance of Family Guy to prop up the whole night (I'm not just talking about Saturday, I mean weeknights as well) would make it much easier later on. It seems like the ultimate plan is to front load the entire pre midnight hours with American Dad, Bob's, and Rick. I believe what they may do is air 3-4 unique episodes of each and ditch some if not all of the encores. I don't see how they keep 8:00 otherwise unless they want to use the Naruto/Jack hour there (also repeating at 5). To me having 3-4 Dad's a night is either leading up to them losing that hour completely or a preview of their strategy moving forward.I will admit though, as a up all night person, I'm intrigued by the possibility of a FOX-less late night portion of the block. There is such a massive catalog that they could easily program 5 or so hours. 

It seems like they really are set on keeping Super in the lead, perhaps even beyond the airing of episode 131. Maybe they were hoping by the time it cycled through, more Dragonball would be on the horizon. Demarco also hinted at the possibility of another "nostalgic" property taking that spot. Is that the only thing they think will hook in a casual viewer? I do wonder what they could possibly be hoping for. There's only a few heavy hitters that come to mind- Sailor Moon, YYH, Gundam (Wing or G) or perhaps even a re-airing of Bleach (maybe the last stretch). Would a viewer really come in for those week after week or just a few times and then go watch the rest on their own at a faster pace?

I"m getting mixed messages from them

on one hand they want something that draws in a casual audience as the lead show

but on the other hand they are thinking about a nostalgia pick to lead the block after dbs

that doesn't sound like something that would draw in a casual audience that doesn't really know about anime

they have to realize trying to pander to people who will never watch toonami no matter what they do isn't a smart idea

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, CountFrylock said:

I"m getting mixed messages from them

on one hand they want something that draws in a casual audience as the lead show

but on the other hand they are thinking about a nostalgia pick to lead the block after dbs

that doesn't sound like something that would draw in a casual audience that doesn't really know about anime

they have to realize trying to pander to people who will never watch toonami no matter what they do isn't a smart idea

 

 

Its kind of like this...

The casual viewer who still sits in front of the TV is probably a little older and would remember what's considered the "good years" of AS/CN/Toonami. DB is a crossover show that viewers of FG on TV would be willing to watch because they are probably of that generation who watched CN from 2000-lets say 2007. They assume that a large portion of that group watches DB because of the nostalgia factor and would be more willing to watch an anime if its a familiar title from that time period. They are looking to recapture those memories of watching anime on CN/AS from their childhood/teen years. A modern title wouldn't work there because that person would more associate it with streaming. They believe that a person of that generation would be willing to stick around if they saw a familiar show presented in the way they remember watching it in the past (via Toonami and TOM). It's why people went nut for the April Fools gag but didn't necessarily hang around for the actual revived block. Hell, those viewers don't even consider what airs on Saturday to be "real" Toonami. To them, it ceased to exist the second it left weekday afternoons.

Like I said the most likely properties to actually work would be either Sailor Moon, YYH, or dare I say it, the original DBZ. Moon and DBZ, however, unless they really pushed hard for it, would not be the versions people remember. Those have long been redubbed, revised, and rescored. YYH in HD would be cool to see, but would that really draw people in considering it's age and length? Gundam Wing and G Gundam are other big nostalgic titles, but would they work once a week? Gundam titles haven't really hit big with modern Toonami so I can't see them making a case for it.

Honestly, I don't know if something like that would work out the way they hope. It would be an expensive venture that may be a dud. It would have to be a really cheap deal.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
50 minutes ago, brianycpht said:

Its kind of like this...

The casual viewer who still sits in front of the TV is probably a little older and would remember what's considered the "good years" of AS/CN/Toonami. DB is a crossover show that viewers of FG on TV would be willing to watch because they are probably of that generation who watched CN from 2000-lets say 2007. They assume that a large portion of that group watches DB because of the nostalgia factor and would be more willing to watch an anime if its a familiar title from that time period. They are looking to recapture those memories of watching anime on CN/AS from their childhood/teen years. A modern title wouldn't work there because that person would more associate it with streaming. They believe that a person of that generation would be willing to stick around if they saw a familiar show presented in the way they remember watching it in the past (via Toonami and TOM). It's why people went nut for the April Fools gag but didn't necessarily hang around for the actual revived block. Hell, those viewers don't even consider what airs on Saturday to be "real" Toonami. To them, it ceased to exist the second it left weekday afternoons.

Like I said the most likely properties to actually work would be either Sailor Moon, YYH, or dare I say it, the original DBZ. Moon and DBZ, however, unless they really pushed hard for it, would not be the versions people remember. Those have long been redubbed, revised, and rescored. YYH in HD would be cool to see, but would that really draw people in considering it's age and length? Gundam Wing and G Gundam are other big nostalgic titles, but would they work once a week? Gundam titles haven't really hit big with modern Toonami so I can't see them making a case for it.

Honestly, I don't know if something like that would work out the way they hope. It would be an expensive venture that may be a dud. It would have to be a really cheap deal.

Toonami Can't thrive off Nostalgia Alone(something those people should understand)and if toonami was still airing weekday afternoons

we'd have heavily censored shows and  some of these shows wouldn't air at all such as Jojo's Bizarre adventure

would any of them truly be happy if we had what amounts to A 4kids version of toonami?....because that's what We'd get if toonami was still a weekday afternoon block on cartoon network

and I'm tired of people who think Toonami Isn't Toonami unless it's airing all retro content

Have they seen what happens to a block or even a television network that's entirely "Retro Content?"

it either dies or is rebranded to be something else completely

case in point

Nicktoons Network it was once A Channel for Old Nickelodeon Content and now it's just the dumping ground for shows nickelodeon doesn't like

you can't really hype up retro content that long eventually people stop caring and then you are up a creek without a paddle

so back to toonami...the same would apply

Nostalgia isn't a surefire plan for success

The Amount of Retro Networks that have come and gone are proof of that

Edited by CountFrylock

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
12 minutes ago, CountFrylock said:

Toonami Can't thrive off Nostalgia Alone(something those people should understand)and if toonami was still airing weekday afternoons

we'd have heavily censored shows and  some of these shows wouldn't air at all such as Jojo's Bizarre adventure

would any of them truly be happy if we had what amounts to A 4kids version of toonami?....because that's what We'd get if toonami was still a weekday afternoon block on cartoon network

and I'm tired of people who think Toonami Isn't Toonami unless it's airing all retro content

Have they seen what happens to a block or even a television network that's entirely "Retro Content?"

it either dies or is rebranded to be something else completely

case in point

Nicktoons Network it was once A Channel for Old Nickelodeon Content and now it's just the dumping ground for shows nickelodeon doesn't like

you can't really hype up retro content that long eventually people stop caring and then you are up a creek without a paddle

so back to toonami...the same would apply

Nostalgia isn't a surefire plan for success

The Amount of Retro Networks that have come and gone are proof of that

Ironically, many would rather watch the old Ocean/Funimation dub (censored) with the dub music then Funimation’s 2007 remaster or Kai. 
 

Just like they’d love to see the Dic/Cloverway SM than the Viz redub or crystal 

 

But as much as people say they want that, I doubt they’d tune in to something like that week after week 

But one thing that would have going for it is you can’t get those anywhere legit on streaming. But that also means they probably aren’t available to air either even if they do have the tapes still 

Edited by brianycpht

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
11 minutes ago, brianycpht said:

Ironically, many would rather watch the old Ocean/Funimation dub (censored) with the dub music then Funimation’s 2007 remaster or Kai. 
 

Just like they’d love to see the Dic/Cloverway SM than the Viz redub or crystal 

 

But as much as people say they want that, I doubt they’d tune in to something like that week after week 

which is why i think trying to pander to those people is a stupid idea

trying to say "A Nostalgia Fueled Pick" for the lead spot on modern toonami would be a good way to draw an audience makes no business sense whatsoever

You Don't See Fox Thinking of airing reruns of old  shows in prime time ahead of newer shows like it's the best idea ever...

so i have no idea where they are getting this business strategy from....

but it seems backwards and nonsensical

Keeping DBS Reruns upfront ahead of MHA S5 is like keeping the Training Wheels on a bike and claiming it's better than one without them

just like you can't improve if you never take off the training wheels

toonami can't do any better if they stubbornly refuse to let any other show lead the block

they want more people watching the block and keeping DBS Super Reruns in the first slot leads to that common problem

the casual audience tuning out and never returning after The DBS Rerun Concludes

so how does this help toonami at all?

are they insane...has adultswim finally lost it's mind?!

Edited by CountFrylock

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
18 minutes ago, CountFrylock said:

which is why i think trying to pander to those people is a stupid idea

trying to say "A Nostalgia Fueled Pick" for the lead spot on modern toonami would be a good way to draw an audience makes no business sense whatsoever

You Don't See Fox Thinking of airing reruns of old  shows in prime time ahead of newer shows like it's the best idea ever...

so i have no idea where they are getting this business strategy from....

but it seems backwards and nonsensical

Keeping DBS Reruns upfront ahead of MHA S5 is like keeping the Training Wheels on a bike and claiming it's better than one without them

just like you can't improve if you never take off the training wheels

toonami can't do any better if they stubbornly refuse to let any other show lead the block

they want more people watching the block and keeping DBS Super Reruns in the first slot leads to that common problem

the casual audience tuning out and never returning after The DBS Rerun Concludes

so how does this help toonami at all?

are they insane...has adultswim finally lost it's mind?!

So I’m wondering if it’s even known whether MHA will run one or two fours this time around. 
If it’s split then they may be torn on whether or not it’s worth it to give MHA the lead only for it to go be gone in 12 weeks 

 

if it’s a full season than it’ll last until November/December. DBS would finish in September right around the same time FG finishes. Then they have a decision to make.

 

Do you give it to MHA with 2 months left or do you loop DBS back to episode 1?
 

If you give it to MHA at any point, it will end in November so then they’d have to figure out the lead slot again. If it’s not a long runner, then they’ll have to constantly consider this. Ideally, you could have a Demon Slayer and MHA turn taker if the seasons work out. But what other shows could take the lead slot?

I almost feel like they leave Super there forever because it’s a sure thing easier than having to figure that out constantly. Not saying I agree with that but I imagine that goes into their decision making 

 

 

Edited by brianycpht

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Maybe the long term plan is to have a stream of originals constantly premiering and encoring in the lead slot. With so many productions happening simultaneously, I could see it. Add in Ballmastrz, Final Space, and Primal premiering their next seasons on Toonami and they’d have plenty of material to occupy the slot 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, brianycpht said:

So I’m wondering if it’s even known whether MHA will run one or two fours this time around. 
If it’s split then they may be torn on whether or not it’s worth it to give MHA the lead only for it to go be gone in 12 weeks 

 

if it’s a full season than it’ll last until November/December. DBS would finish in September right around the same time FG finishes. Then they have a decision to make.

 

Do you give it to MHA with 2 months left or do you loop DBS back to episode 1?
 

If you give it to MHA at any point, it will end in November so then they’d have to figure out the lead slot again. If it’s not a long runner, then they’ll have to constantly consider this. Ideally, you could have a Demon Slayer and MHA turn taker if the seasons work out. But what other shows could take the lead slot?

I almost feel like they leave Super there forever because it’s a sure thing easier than having to figure that out constantly. Not saying I agree with that but I imagine that goes into their decision making 

I'm pretty sure MHA Won't stop abruptly and will be around 25 episodes like the last season

it isn't attack on titan after all and looking it up on wikipedia just to make sure

the series has never had that Stop-Gap(Part 1/Part 2)Set up in it's Japanese Release Schedule

 

Edited by CountFrylock

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, brianycpht said:

Maybe the long term plan is to have a stream of originals constantly premiering and encoring in the lead slot. With so many productions happening simultaneously, I could see it. Add in Ballmastrz, Final Space, and Primal premiering their next seasons on Toonami and they’d have plenty of material to occupy the slot 

Uzumaki=Too Niche to expect a casual american audience to gobble it up(can't imagine a mainstream audience would easily get into Junji Ito's bizarre work)

Blade Runner=The Last Movie was a flop so this surely isn't gonna be some super popular hit

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, brianycpht said:

Ironically, many would rather watch the old Ocean/Funimation dub (censored) with the dub music then Funimation’s 2007 remaster or Kai. 
 

Just like they’d love to see the Dic/Cloverway SM than the Viz redub or crystal 

 

But as much as people say they want that, I doubt they’d tune in to something like that week after week 

But one thing that would have going for it is you can’t get those anywhere legit on streaming. But that also means they probably aren’t available to air either even if they do have the tapes still 

Many of Toonami's audience, but most people have moved on.  One only needs to look at the middling ratings Toonami does for certain shows while Mugen Train is making legit bank in the US and the MHA films in limited release always score a decent haul.  

Or the massive reaction to Netflix airing Sailor Moon Eternal.  (Which from what Twitter said, was pretty much joy all around).

Toonami remains a block for people who liked Toonami.  That's what they're trying to re-create here.  The problem is a lot of the audience has moved on.   It's very difficult to get a new show over solely on Toonami unless you literally cannot see it anywhere else, and even in a lot of cases, people will either deal with the subs or just wait.  Demon Slayer is a great example of that.  It did merely OK on Toonami, then aired on Netflix and absolutely blew up, and now the movie made around $20 million week 1.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, Jman said:

Many of Toonami's audience, but most people have moved on.  One only needs to look at the middling ratings Toonami does for certain shows while Mugen Train is making legit bank in the US and the MHA films in limited release always score a decent haul.  

Or the massive reaction to Netflix airing Sailor Moon Eternal.  (Which from what Twitter said, was pretty much joy all around).

Toonami remains a block for people who liked Toonami.  That's what they're trying to re-create here.  The problem is a lot of the audience has moved on.   It's very difficult to get a new show over solely on Toonami unless you literally cannot see it anywhere else, and even in a lot of cases, people will either deal with the subs or just wait.  Demon Slayer is a great example of that.  It did merely OK on Toonami, then aired on Netflix and absolutely blew up, and now the movie made around $20 million week 1.

Well I think you really hit the nail on the head here J. The original purpose of a block like Toonami is to kind of raise the awareness of shine and bring these shows more exposure. Shows right now are doing that just on their own.

Toonami the dub premiere  rights to what is becoming the biggest somehow right now, Demon Slayer. I’ve seen so many asking for the last year why the show doesn’t have a dub yet. It’s literally aired on TV twice and so few people knew about it. I wonder if Toonami during the first season didn’t know what a hit they had. They decided to premiere it at 1:30 AM. I really hope the make a bigger deal if they get the season 2 dub premiere. 
 

Even for shows that the dub premiere for, people don’t mind watching the sub version so they can keep up with the conversation and avoid spoilers. I did this myself this season. I don’t mind watching again in English, but I know many who won’t bother. It’s funny how even a few weeks is too long now given how quick the industry moves now. People are already on to the next thing by the time that dub hits 

Even for the people who are aware of what Toonami is doing, it seems like they’d rather wait for things to be entirely done and on a streaming platform (which are more wide reaching these days as well)

The real tipping point will be when Japanese companies like TOEI see streaming as a better exposure vehicle than TV. Imagine if they would rather give a streamer an exclusive deal on the next DB series instead of AS? Thankfully they are still dinosaurs 

 

  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Sketch said:

Now there's an expectation that any week they tune in there will be Dragon Ball Super at midnight. Not before midnight. Not after midnight. Specifically midnight. It's what viewers expect and it's what advertisers expect. And truthfully it's not usually a detriment for any show to be directly after DBS at the 12:30 slot.

The problem is they have a stacked line-up and shows like Dr. Stone get 1am AT BEST when the 2nd slot is already occupied by the show that should be at midnight. And some shows end up premiering after 2am. Toonami's only dub premiere in May will be moved to 2am. Granted it's the not well received second season of The Promised Neverland but it still seems like a waste to put the only dub premiere that late.

It would also be less of a problem if DBS was at 11pm or even 11:30pm instead of having 4 straight American Dad episodes in prime time but that loops back to the prior statement, everyone expects DBS at midnight and moving it earlier doesn't help it do better. They should be preparing for when Family Guy leaves by building up something else on Saturday but its clear they are going to ride that 11pm hour of Family Guy as far as they can before they abruptly get thrown off.

This has been my main issue for years. It's always been the block of "Dragonball, and then Some Shit We Don't Care Whatever The Hell About".  It's like why even bother having a block at all?? Why not sure air Dragonball if Kim likes it so much!?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
12 hours ago, elfie said:

This has been my main issue for years. It's always been the block of "Dragonball, and then Some Shit We Don't Care Whatever The Hell About".  It's like why even bother having a block at all?? Why not sure air Dragonball if Kim likes it so much!?

they have to realize toonami doesn't need dragon ball all the time....there's other stuff than just dragon ball

the audience who would still be drooling over dbs reruns probably don't care about any other anime and so they don't care about toonami

 

another thing....someone on the anime superhero/toon zone forums mentioned "Nostalgia is the only reason toonami was brought back" however that shouldn't mean nostalgia has to be what's powering toonami

A Weekly block filled with classic anime would seem neat at first but then You'd quickly lose interest

Edited by CountFrylock
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It'd be hilarious to see them replace Super with DBZ complete with the "remastered" Johnson/Faulconer track (as available on the Blu-ray but not streaming) for lolz.

4:3 version from the most recent steelbooks, only thing about those is it doesn't have the Bajoran-font episode title cards as seen on CN which would be the only thing blocking Maximum Nostalgia ルァ引 but whatever it'd lock up the slot until 2027.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, MasqueradeOverture said:

It'd be hilarious to see them replace Super with DBZ complete with the "remastered" Johnson/Faulconer track (as available on the Blu-ray but not streaming) for lolz.

4:3 version from the most recent steelbooks, only thing about those is it doesn't have the Bajoran-font episode title cards as seen on CN which would be the only thing blocking Maximum Nostalgia ルァ引 but whatever it'd lock up the slot until 2027.

 

It also doesn’t have the Dale Kelly “monster truck rally” narrations that the fan base think is awesome 

I would love for them to air the original unaltered dub. Funimation (and many of the actors) would rather forget that existed. Because they redid so much of the Freeza fight, no one remembers how different Vegeta and Krillin sounded originally. Sonny Strait told me in a convo once that he wishes he could re-record his whole Z performance. 
 

 I think so many people think the remastered dub is what they watched in 1999. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

i think dragon ball needs to stop being seen as this amazing franchise that can never be topped and is the only anime worth mentioning

Dragon ball super isn't anything special yet because it's dragon ball related you had people going nuts over it and acting like Ultra Instinct Goku was the hypest shit ever

but now we know how much of a chore  it was to watch the tournament of power and yet there are people still doing that for the reruns...

I Think Nostalgia made a lot of people believe Dragon ball super was better than it actually was

 

 

Edited by CountFrylock

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
10 minutes ago, CountFrylock said:

i think dragon ball needs to stop being seen as this amazing franchise that can never be topped and is the only anime worth mentioning

Dragon ball super isn't anything special yet because it's dragon ball related you had people going nuts over it and acting like Ultra Instinct Goku was the hypest shit ever

but now in reruns all i can see is just how much of a chore it is to watch The tournament of Power One Episode a week(even when it was new i could tell how slow it was)

I Think Nostalgia made a lot of people think Dragon ball super was better than it actually was

 

I would just ignore Super and pretend Toonami starts at 12:30. I see a lot of the fanbase complaining about it, but still watching it, live tweeting it during the whole show, ect. It seems like collectively as a fanbase we don’t like this show airing on the block, yet there still seems to be this need hype up everything the block is airing. That’s a metric that contributes to it continuing to air. I can see the casual viewers do it, but a lot the same people who hate that it’s airing feel the need to actually promote its airing all the way through the show just because it’s on Toonami.

 

Everyone should just start saying “Watch Toonami, Saturday Nights from 12:30-4:00” 😂 

Edited by brianycpht

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
8 minutes ago, brianycpht said:

I would just ignore Super and pretend Toonami starts at 12:30. I see a lot of the fanbase complaining about it, but still watching it, live tweeting it during the whole show, ect. It seems like collectively as a fanbase we don’t like this show airing on the block, yet there still seems to be this need hype up everything the block is airing. That’s a metric that contributes to it continuing to air. I can see the casual viewers do it, but a lot the same people who hate that it’s airing feel the need to actually promote its airing all the way through the show just because it’s on Toonami.

well a lot of us can't really do much about it's placement on the block since the majority of us who have a problem with it being the lead show have never been selected for the Nielsen survey

so our viewership doesn't mean jack to Adultswim  i imagine if a shit ton of people tweeted about MHA S5 it wouldn't have any effect on it's time slot

it wouldn't suddenly be catapulted to Lead Show

I've ignored super this long however it's presence on the block as the lead show continues to be a mystery and them insisting it'll be here until it's run concludes with a hint that perhaps it'll be replaced by a nostalgia fueled pick

makes me think ignoring the lead slot will become a toonami tradition

so regardless of what i say or do  the result will still be the same

toonami desperately trying to get people who don't like anime to watch anime

Edited by CountFrylock

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, CountFrylock said:

well a lot of us can't really do much about it's placement on the block since the majority of us who have a problem with it being the lead show have never been selected for the Nielsen survey

so our viewership doesn't mean jack to Adultswim  i imagine if a shit ton of people tweeted about MHA S5 it wouldn't have any effect on it's time slot

it wouldn't suddenly be catapulted to Lead Show

I don’t care so much about whether people are counted toward Nielsen. But I have you ask myself why so many in the “Toonami” online community actively live tweet Super or even Tweet that it’s about to start when they are against the show being on the block. I feel like it’s out of obligation to hype up everything the block airs no matter how much they hate it. The community shouldn’t help the show trend if they don’t want it on the block 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
14 minutes ago, brianycpht said:

I don’t care so much about whether people are counted toward Nielsen. But I have you ask myself why so many in the “Toonami” online community actively live tweet Super or even Tweet that it’s about to start when they are against the show being on the block. I feel like it’s out of obligation to hype up everything the block airs no matter how much they hate it. The community shouldn’t help the show trend if they don’t want it on the block 

I Don't even live tweet anything because I Know my opinions and thoughts don't affect anything

i know the toonami fan accounts typically live tweet DBS because they live tweet everything toonami related regardless what they think(that includes the toonami news account)

because they'd find it hard to just pretend it's not on the block when it is

but who knows maybe if we all just stopped posting about DBS online and never said anything about it

It would get demoted...pfft yeah right

i think DBS reruns are here to stay even if nobody tweeted about them or very few did

but because it's dragon ball You won't have nobody tweeting about it even in reruns

because..."Nostalgia" pushes that dragon ball is the best mindset

those of us who have a problem with DBS Reruns are unfortunately in the minority

more people are actually happy DBS Reruns are on the block than unhappy

if that wasn't the case then DBS Reruns wouldn't even be on the block

Edited by CountFrylock

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
15 minutes ago, CountFrylock said:

I Don't even live tweet anything because I Know my opinions and thoughts don't affect anything

i know the toonami fan accounts typically live tweet DBS because they live tweet everything toonami related regardless what they think(that includes the toonami news account)

because they'd find it hard to just pretend it's not on the block when it is

but who knows maybe if we all just stopped posting about DBS online and never said anything about it

It would get demoted...pfft yeah right

That’s kind of what I mean. Every live tweet means someone is watching it I don’t mean so much the sites that out out automated tweets when shows start but if you’re actively watching it tweeting out things like

 

“Wow! This thing just happened in the ToP. # Dragonball Super #Toonami” that shows them active audience engagement with the show. If you like the show, fine. But if you’re doing it out of some obligation to Toonami, you’re just telling them you’re watching it. 
 

Basically, the best thing you can do if you hate Super on the block is to completely ignore it. At the very minimum, you are taking 30 minutes of your life back. I’ve been tuning in at 12:30 since the rerun started. That’s all I do. I don’t stress about it, I just ignore it. If they ever replace it with a new show- great! If not, I’ll just keep ignoring it lol

 

The best we can hope for is MHA beating Super regularly 

Edited by brianycpht

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, brianycpht said:

That’s kind of what I mean. Every live tweet means someone is watching it I don’t mean so much the sites that out out automated tweets when shows start but if you’re actively watching it tweeting out things like

 

“Wow! This thing just happened in the ToP. # Dragonball Super #Toonami” that shows them active audience engagement with the show. If you like the show, fine. But if you’re doing it out of some obligation to Toonami, you’re just telling them you’re watching it. 
 

Basically, the best thing you can do if you hate Super on the block is to completely ignore it. At the very minimum, you are taking 30 minutes of your life back. I’ve been tuning in at 12:30 since the rerun started. That’s all I do. I don’t stress about it, I just ignore it. If they ever replace it with a new show- great! If not, I’ll just keep ignoring it lol

 

The best we can hope for is MHA beating Super regularly 

the chances of MHA doing that are very unlikely....we all know a significant portion of the audience leaves after the DBS Rerun

and we all know the trend is for the block to do worse as the night goes on

DBS has the lead slot so the chances of anything beating it aren't likely

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, brianycpht said:

It also doesn’t have the Dale Kelly “monster truck rally” narrations that the fan base think is awesome 

I would love for them to air the original unaltered dub. Funimation (and many of the actors) would rather forget that existed. Because they redid so much of the Freeza fight, no one remembers how different Vegeta and Krillin sounded originally. Sonny Strait told me in a convo once that he wishes he could re-record his whole Z performance. 
 

 I think so many people think the remastered dub is what they watched in 1999. 

The unaltered performance is best relegated to remain on rotting VHS tapes.

My Z recut is finally getting to the point where Funimation's dub first started, so I'm using the unaltered "as broadcast on CN" dub to cross-reference music and sound effects and oof... it's BAD. It's like everyone was given one take to read a line off the first draft of a translation written by a morphine addict. 

I don't get what the creative decision-making was asking everyone to come back and re-record lines except for Sean Schemmel (who sounds like an autistic robot in those Frieza episodes) and like stopping the re-recording at Trunks. You'd think they'd have gone all out for their biggest money maker.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, MasqueradeOverture said:

The unaltered performance is best relegated to remain on rotting VHS tapes.

My Z recut is finally getting to the point where Funimation's dub first started, so I'm using the unaltered "as broadcast on CN" dub to cross-reference music and sound effects and oof... it's BAD. It's like everyone was given one take to read a line off the first draft of a translation written by a morphine addict. 

I don't get what the creative decision-making was asking everyone to come back and re-record lines except for Sean Schemmel (who sounds like an autistic robot in those Frieza episodes) and like stopping the re-recording at Trunks. You'd think they'd have gone all out for their biggest money maker.

Have you still been posting those? I thought you took a break

 

it was definitely a rushed performance. They didn’t have much time to get those episodes done 

 

I called Funimation back in 99 just to see if I could talk to someone there for fun and I talked to a one of the guys running the sound engineering. He said they were pulling office staff to play Namekians and civilians lol

 

I’m guessing Schemmel couldn’t be paid to fly out to record. It’s so blatantly obvious and not smooth at all when the transition happens. Sabats characters are a rough transition when they switch too. People who watch the Orange Bricks ask why the voices change suddenly. I think what happened is they just ran out of time and went “good enough”. From what I recall Sabat and Strait intended to carry it all the way. 
 

As to why Sabat didn’t even try to touch Piccolo- they should’ve just done it for an episode. That way they’d have an in story reason to transition from his “King Piccolo Jr” voice to his mid Z rougher voice, his fusion with Nail

Edited by brianycpht

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, brianycpht said:

I don’t care so much about whether people are counted toward Nielsen. But I have you ask myself why so many in the “Toonami” online community actively live tweet Super or even Tweet that it’s about to start when they are against the show being on the block. I feel like it’s out of obligation to hype up everything the block airs no matter how much they hate it. The community shouldn’t help the show trend if they don’t want it on the block 

Well I sure as HFIL don't promote Super airing beyond griping that it's airing (and never during the broadcast because I'm not even home by then most Saturdays).

It would however be odd for Toonami News or Toonami Squad to just pretend Toonami started at 12:30am so I don't see that happening.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, Sketch said:

Well I sure as HFIL don't promote Super airing beyond griping that it's airing (and never during the broadcast because I'm not even home by then most Saturdays).

It would however be odd for Toonami News or Toonami Squad to just pretend Toonami started at 12:30am so I don't see that happening.

Yeah. If you go down a few posts, I clarified it’s more on the individuals who live tweet the play by play of the ToP every week rather than the news outlets as a larger entity. That indicates audience engagement 

Edited by brianycpht

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If they really think a nostalgia play is the way to go then they should try sticking Naruto Shippuden at midnight. I know it didn't do fantastic at 10pm but it might be able to beat DBS reruns.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, brianycpht said:

Yeah. If you go down a few posts, I clarified it’s more on the individuals who live tweet the play by play of the ToP every week rather than the news outlets as a larger entity. That indicates audience engagement 

I don't think anyone who regularly live tweets the ToP actually mind that DBS is still airing in the lead. At least not very much.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Sketch said:

If they really think a nostalgia play is the way to go then they should try sticking Naruto Shippuden at midnight. I know it didn't do fantastic at 10pm but it might be able to beat DBS reruns.

Long term that would work out best for them. I think part of their reluctance to change it up is so they don’t have to rethink the least slot whenever a show ends 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Sketch said:

I don't think anyone who regularly live tweets the ToP actually mind that DBS is still airing in the lead. At least not very much.

Yeah. If they like the show, fine. But I was saying that people who dislike the show (or anything on the block) shouldn’t feel the need live tweet it or make it trend just because it’s on the block. 
 

Basically was just trying to tell people who dislike it on the block to ignore it as opposed to being overly upset it’s still airing 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think we're getting a bit hung up on the "nostalgia pick" comment though. I didn't necessarily take that as his game plan for replacing DBS. I heard it as two separate thoughts. He and Gill have some ideas for shows that could potentially replace DBS, that's one thought. The other thought is that no anime does as well in reruns as DBZ / Super, not even My Hero Academia, but maybe there's a show that can draw somewhere near that level and it might be another old favorite. That doesn't necessarily mean that a nostalgia pick should lead the block nor does it mean that's what he has in mind for when they collectively decide that DBS has outwore its welcome.

If I had to guess what he might want to try in the top slot...

Original series, the next season of Primal, a DC animated series if they could get one, the upcoming season of Bleach and maybe a hot anime they haven't aired before like Jujutsu Kaisen. And yeah he'd probably jump at the chance to air Sailor Moon if he could but I don't think he'd actually try Gundam Wing or G Gundam at midnight. Yu Yu Hakusho is a long commitment that they probably aren't sure would pan out.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...